2018 in Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: 2018 in Music

Post by Leestu »

Song #2
Too Real - FIDLAR

One of my most anticipated albums of 2019. The first few songs released so far are quite different from each other, but all great.

Album #2
Idiot Proverbs - Tiny Little Houses

Best Australian indie rock album of the year. I have been paying close attention to this band since their debut single was one of my favourite songs of the year a few years ago. Since then they have had 2 excellent EPs, a string of great singles, and I've seen them live three times. I was hoping for a great debut album but this exceeded even my high expectations. Very 90s influenced with clever, witty, self deprecating, millennial lyrics, so recommended if you like bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, Weezer, Modest Mouse, Pavement, and Car Seat Headrest.

Song #1
Canary Yellow - Deafheaven

First time I heard this song - strangely I think I like it. 2nd listen - I was right I do like this. 3rd listen - I was wrong...I friggin' love this. Incredible epic song, flawless transitions, the voice used like another instrument and a vehicle for the emotion, powerhouse drumming, great guitar riffs and melodies, and a singalong chant to finish. One of the songs of the year for me.

Album #1
Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) - Car Seat Headrest

Two years ago Teens Of Denial by Car Seat Headrest was my favourite album of the year and since then I have dived into as much of his back catalogue as I can. Twin Fantasy from 2011 [now referred to as Twin Fantasy (Mirror To Mirror)] was one of the best. However it was all very DIY lo-fi. As it turns out it was an important and personal album to Will Toledo and now that he has the success and therefore the resources to do whatever he wants, he wanted to remake this album totally as he always envisaged it should be. So gone is the lo-fi Will on his own, replaced with a full band, lyrics altered, bits of songs changed here and there, and we have ended up with a totally different album, which even though I still love the original, I think this much improved. On a personal level I remember when I first heard Cute Thing from the original album I picked up the Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants reference (as Ana Ng was one of my favourite songs way back when) so I was stoked when this updated version acknowledged and confirmed that as part of the updated lyrics. Cute Thing was one of my most played songs of the year, this album was easily my most played album this year, and getting the chance to see most of this album performed live back in February was one of my live music experience highlights of the year.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Some more thoughts and opinions.

Low - I haven't heard anything from this album until now but I liked this song a lot. I've listened to it a few times. I have found Low have some great songs but their albums can be a bit dreary and depressing so I haven't rushed to check this one out. Based on this song though and the good reviews it's getting I will get around to it.

The Ex - never heard of them before and I wonder why... it's my sort of thing...very good song. Speaking of fecal matter reminded me of this song https://youtu.be/L7reXT3SR4o

Mumford & Sons - I'll probably always love their debut album but since then I can take them or leave them. This song is a perfect example of that. Happy to listen to it, don't care if I don't again.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Accidentally hit submit...continuing on...

A R I Z O N A - you all have a few acts I haven't heard of... so much music out there now and we all have different radars. This sounds like it could be a dancefloor banger on a dancefloor that you will never find me on... passable I guess for what it is if a bit pointlessly long, but I'll pass.

Imagine Dragons - like everything I've heard from them not bad, just boring.

Thirty Seconds To Mars - they are good at what they do...I don't mind them... this was a good enough song to enjoy listening to.

Swearin' - new to me but based on this really good song sounds fun.

U.S. Girls - #92 on my top 100 albums for the year atm, but with lots still to listen to I don't expect it to stay on my list for long. Rosebud is nice but as I said before Time is the highlight of the album.

Childish Gambino - excellent song with one of the best music videos ever. One of the few songs of 2018 that all five of my family like (with our varied music tastes it's rare). It was on three of our Spotify 100 most played songs this year, including mine.

Passenger - interesting voice, an okay song despite being a bit too country rock for my singer/songwriter tastes.

Bradley Cooper - nice double with Passenger but too country bland for my taste. Might mean more in the context of the movie but I haven't seen it.

A Star Is Born soundtrack - I've heard a couple of the Lady Gaga tracks but that's it. This song rocks though, if a bit derivative, but that's probably fine for the movie's purposes.

Justin Nozuka - never heard of him...passable indie folk ballad.

Mount Eerie - I agree it's a more listenable album then A Crow Looked At Me. There's a bit of hope and positivity to come out of the mourning as time goes on. I'm finding it fascinating seemingly knowing all about Phil's life, thoughts, and feelings through his musical diaries.

Julia Holter - another album that's getting great reviews that I haven't heard yet. This song was great. Really interesting musically. Added to my long to listen to list.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

So, I listened to all the #1s posted so far, but my laptop is kaputski and I have limited time to access this site, so I'll spare you guys my lengthy, scathing critiques of your favorite music of the year.

Quickly though, I'll say that i enjoyed Screaming Females and Idles more than a lot of stuff you guys have posted in years past, and I might have been a fan of both 20 years ago, but I also found them both quite repetitive and limited in their sounds, without doing enough to distance themselves from their influences. Colussus is the standout track, and I liked the Skids meets Interpol sound of Danny Nedelko, but Idles' lyrics are way too on-the-nose for me.

As for Car Seat Headrest, I wasn't a fan of the previous album, and didn't hear anything here to change my opinion. And if that's the high-tech version I'd hate to hear the low-fi one because the production values sounded awful to me. And I just realized I missed the Dearheaven, so I'll add that to my Spotify library.