Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Post by silversurfer19 »

My computer is running a little slow right now so I haven't been able to watch the videos, but from what I've seen of everyone's picks it looks like a largely mixed bag this round. Weezer are great, and their first album is certainly my favourite (closely followed by Pinkerton), not my favourite song from the album, but then there is not really a weak track to pick from, though. Talking Heads, always quality, but again prefer their earlier work. Lynard Skynard, never really a fan since hearing them on a repeat of The Old Grey Whistle Test maybe 20 years ago, and that has not changed since. I can't stand Cher (especially since she found a synthesier from up between her taped crotch area), while Korn were ok without ever really interesting me. I'll have to listen to all the other videos to come to a conclusion on those ones.

Regarding the future, I'm fine with a break if you need it Shryke, and a countdown of the last 10 songs on each thread is a great idea. We could relist each song, artist and our name and pick our favourites and which we want to look further into etc. And definitely do the one artist per day for our no.1 picks.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke- The very first song on anyone's list that has crossed into my own list (I was waiting for that to happen, and I can say that I am surprised it came from you Shryke!). Needless to say, I absolutely love it and you win the round. There were so many Weezer songs on my list that were hard for me to cut, but I didn't want to over-weight them, as I've been on a huge Weezer kick lately since getting Pinkerton, Maladroit and the Red Album. In my opinion, they can do no wrong, and they totally kick ass live as well.

NSpan- not sure if I had even heard that version of the song before, but it was excellent.

Six- ehhh, I dunno, just can't really get this band.

Becs- really enjoyed it for the most part, thought it started great but kinda tails off by the end.

UDM- definitely a guilty pleasure worthy song, and it sure is catchy as hell.

Leestu- Reminded me a lot of Bob Dylan, a beautiful song. Liked it very much

Buscemi- I shut it off after a minute and a half. No mas.

Surfer- its unfortunate the sound quality sucked so much, because I think i may have liked it more with a better recording.

Tranny- one of Korn's better tracks. I like it. Don't love it, but its definitely pretty good.

W- this country stuff is going to slow down at some point right???

Ranks:
1. Shryke
2. Leestu
3. Tranny
4. NSpan

5. Becs
6. UDM
7. Surfer
8. Six

9. W
10. Boush

I vote that we do a recap and such on this thread, while at the same time opening up the new one and continuing the countdown. There is no reason we can't do both simultaneously without missing a day of counting down, as they will be in separate threads.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

I'm going to put this round down to a tie for favorite between Shryke and Six

Shrykespeare
Weezer, “Say It Ain’t So”

This is such a great song, but not my favorite from Weezer, which is on its way a little later. This one just barely didn't make the cut for me, so cheers to you for liking it.

NSpan
Blue Cheer, “Summertime Blues”
(1968)
Unexpectedly, I really quite liked it, another pick from you that is way outside my normal "thing" that really appeals to me.

Numbersix
Talking Heads, “Road to Nowhere”

I don't think I've ever heard this track of theirs, but it was awesome.

Geezer
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Sweet Home Alabama”

Sorry man, I know this is on "official" top 100 lists all over the place, but damn its just so slow, country-esque, and "down-homey" I can't stand this song.

undeadmonkey
Cher, “Believe”

i can understand the appeal, its just not for me. While I recognize this song as a single was really her attempt at reinventing herself to become more modern, but like others said, faking her voice was not the way to do it, she just comes of watered down and lame.

leestu
Augie March, “One Crowded Hour”
(2006)
Really loved this one, never heard of them before but this is definitely an artist I will be listenting to more of.

Buscemi
Busta Rhymes feat. Janet Jackson, “What's It Gonna Be?!”

I hate this song. I seriously used to turn the tv off when it would come on mtv (or any of the equally craptastic Missy Elliot songs with futuristic videos as well). I feel like Janet was cheated, her talent isn't leveraged any more than any other shitty female backup in a rap song really.

silversurfer
The Bluetones , “If…”

It was nice, I liked it, but nothing really stood out as a "best" song for me.

transformers
Korn, “Make Me Bad”

Never been a fan of the band, but I'll agree they certainly are innovative, and the video is pretty fun.

W
George Jones, “The One I Loved Back Then (The Corvette Song)"

This is pretty much everything I hate about country.. sorry.

Numbersix wrote:becs - Mindless Self Indulgence, “Straight to Video”
I thought the lyrics were silly, and it sounded like a slightly sedated Marlyn Manson song to me.
I really don't see a parallel between them and Marylin Manson's sound (mainly because I really dislike pretty much all of MM's songs except the covers), but they probably fall somewhere close genre-wise. Admittedly the lyrics to this song (and others they've done) are somewhat nonsensical, then on the flip side they have songs like the same cds title track You'll Rebel to Anything (their controversially anti-scene/emo kid song) which has some of my favorite lyrics ever (in two separate sections of the song):

You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are fucking morons

Boo fuckin hoo you're not the only one whose life's a piece of shit
And yet miraculously somehow we all seem to deal with it
Did anybody think that you would really seriously slit your wrists
In fact I think that everybody thinks you're seriously full of shit

Shryke - I don't care what we do, If you feel like you need a day off we can skip a day, but I'm a bit of an addict, I am more then happy to have these things keep rolling every day. Also, I do have my list pretty well nailed down, and I have more write ups than I've sent you, I just want don't want you to have the whole list, then there is no surprise in it for you! So don't worry about be getting behind, I'll send you more every weekend.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare
Weezer, “Say It Ain’t So”
Great Track. Old Weezer is really good sadly their last 2 albums have sucked really bad.

NSpan
Blue Cheer, “Summertime Blues” (1968)
Not really too into it.

Numbersix
Talking Heads, “Road to Nowhere”
Again couldn't get into it.

Geezer
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Sweet Home Alabama”
Not a big Skynyrd fan. A classic for sure but im not too into them.

undeadmonkey
Cher, “Believe”
Not into pop at all. This song is pretty lame but it does make me laugh really hard.

leestu
Augie March, “One Crowded Hour” (2006)
Interesting Track. Again falls into the average catergory for me.

Buscemi
Busta Rhymes feat. Janet Jackson, “What's It Gonna Be?!”
Ugh. I love Busta Rhymes but this song is obnoxious.

silversurfer
The Bluetones , “If…”
It was alright.

becs
Mindless Self Indulgence,"Straight To Video"
MSI is a very odd and intresting band but this one of their better tracks imo. Still decent though.

W
George Jones, “The One I Loved Back Then (The Corvette Song)"
George Jones is the kind of old school country that I loathe sorry.

I would say Shryke had by far the best of the round imo.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke to answer your question. Yes the guitarist from Korn does always play that way. Also I think the recap sounds cool I am for it. I also think we shouldn't skip a day unless Shryke needs a break. I am indifferent about the number 1 song situation
Last edited by transformers2 on April 9th, 2010, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

becs wrote: Admittedly the lyrics to this song (and others they've done) are somewhat nonsensical, then on the flip side they have songs like the same cds title track You'll Rebel to Anything (their controversially anti-scene/emo kid song) which has some of my favorite lyrics ever (in two separate sections of the song):

You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are fucking morons

Boo fuckin hoo you're not the only one whose life's a piece of shit
And yet miraculously somehow we all seem to deal with it
Did anybody think that you would really seriously slit your wrists
In fact I think that everybody thinks you're seriously full of shit
While not exactly tactful, those lyrics are pretty darn amusing

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Then it seems we have a consensus. We will do recaps at the end of each thread (while not posting extra videos), and we will not skip any days (unless, as NSpan says, I'm just really sick and not up to it, but hopefully that won't happen, knock on wood).

When it comes time for our #1s, we will do it one day at a time.

And don't worry about there being no "surprise" in it for me. Truth is, there is so much stuff in your lists that I've never heard before, most of it is all new to me anyway. And besides, someone has to be in charge of this thing, it may as well be me.

So #91 will post tonight, followed by critiques, and finally recaps of the last ten days. The following day, I will create Thread #2 (#90-#81), and we will go from there. Please keep the appropriate conversations on the appropriate threads, and don't cross over from one to the other.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Geezer - Yep, the country is slowing down. Closer to the bottom of the list I wanted to get some songs that I used to listen to as a kid, but don't pull out very much at all anymore. A lot of them were country songs. I thought it was needed for my specific list. I could say "When is this rock stuff going to end!?!?!" but I won't because that's over 60% of my list, which makes it my main source of music. After song 80, about 1 in five songs will be that dreaded genre, but (I would think) you'd like some of them as they spread from the early 1950's to the early 2000's.

and I think I've counted like five or six songs (maybe it was four?) including 101-105 on my list that have already been played.

...and UDM, no George Strait. A couple of his contemporaries, though.

And Shryke, I'm going to send you mine a week at a time if that's alright.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shryke, I finished my list, it's 80 songs. Do I just send em all to you at once or 10 at a time?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Send him whatever you want, they just need links with them. We're on #91 as of tomorrow, so you've got over a week, unless you round up ten more... Basically as long as he has them a few days in advance, then it doesn't matter how many.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Bless you W... I have seen Pure Country so many times growing up, I think if I had to listen to him ever again I would need to be put in a mental institution.

Banks - you can send however many at a time you want to shryke, just make sure you include a link (preferably youtube) to the song and a sentence or 5 on why you picked it.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

What they said.

If I had to choose, though, I'd say ten at a time.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

becs wrote:Bless you W... I have seen Pure Country so many times growing up, I think if I had to listen to him ever again I would need to be put in a mental institution.
hah, ive seen it once, its not that bad. although very unoriginal. I do have a Strait song coming up shortly

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

*shakes fist at UDM*
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

hah, i promise its not from that album though. Plus its one of his more pop - ish songs