Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by W »

I'll try and make it by Thursday. I'm almost done rounding them up, though there's no way I'm not going to forget some of them that should make it in the lower ranges, but have just skipped my mind the past few days.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:One song per day, NSpan. (I want to draw this out as long as I can!) What a terrific summer it will be!
excellent.. that's actually what I was going to suggest
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Responses:

Shrykespeare: This has been my favourite of your offerings so far. I have been meaning to listen to The The for years but for one reason or another have never gotten round to it. I love the dark, ominous tones of the music and funnily enough I too heard a lot of Nick Cave in there. I'll certainly be searching more of their stuff out.
This surprises me. Check out "Infected". It is one of those classic albums were every song is quality and could have been a single release. And I think The The ended up making a video for every track on the album.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since the next group of songs up is #101, and therefore the end of this particular thread, and because I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning that won't require me to get up at 6am, I may just post them at 12:01am. That should at least make becs happy. ;-)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke- I often haven't been able to finish the songs you have posted. Just way too strange for my liking.

NSpan, I dug it.

Six, a little too slow for my liking, and I do enjoy a good classical piece every now and again, this one just didn't grab me.

Becs- Yours is definitely shaping up to be my favorite list so far. One Pumpkins song did make my list, but 1979 fell short, it was somewhere in the top 200 though.

UDM- Switchfoot has always been a strange band for me. It seems they would put out one great song, then a terrible one! I always felt like they almost didn't deserve the great songs because of the crap they followed up with. I absolute adore the song Stars, and it was one of the contenders for the list (although it didn't make it exceptionally far, it was still on the short list). This one, I'm not a big fan of. Not terrible, but not great.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Oh and not to beat a dead horse on Muse, but damn do I dig their latest single "Resistance." Give this list 6 months, and I think it will be on the top 100. I fucking love that chorus.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geez, i forget--have you seen Muse live yet? they put on an amazing show.. i'd rather see them again than Radiohead for my first time
becs wrote:<christian song that will be unnamed due to potential to spark debate>
Flood? Jesus Freak?
Shrykespeare wrote:Since the next group of songs up is #101, and therefore the end of this particular thread, and because I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning that won't require me to get up at 6am, I may just post them at 12:01am. That should at least make becs happy. ;-)
bring it on!!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:Shryke- I often haven't been able to finish the songs you have posted. Just way too strange for my liking.
Scorpions, Level 42, Sisters of Mercy and The The are "strange"? Well, granted, the last two are fairly off the beaten path, but I promise you, there will be a lot of songs on my list that you may find more "normal". Then again, there will be a few others that make the quantum leap from "strange" to "WTF???" I pride myself on my diversity.

Without revealing names or artists, I can tell you this about my first ten songs in the Top 100 (#100-#91):

Six are from the 1980's.
Only three are from bands that one might dub "alternative", which is the genre that comprises the meat of my list.
Four actually hit the Billboard "Top 40" (and one other just barely missed).
Two are by artists now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (including one who just went in this year).

There will also be one of my two pure novelty songs, and the song which is probably the hardest-edged song in my whole list.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, all (and especially you, becs, hope you enjoy this before - or during - a hard day at work!), it is now officially Wednesday, so here is the very last batch of videos posted on this thread.

SONG #101

Shrykespeare
Ace of Base, “Cruel Summer”

Bananarama’s original version would probably end up in my Top 200, if I was going that far. But for some reason, I like this cover better. Maybe it’s the piano, maybe it’s the fact that I found the Berggren sisters even hotter than the girls in Bananarama. Whatever, it’s an awesome song no matter who does it.

NSpan
Junior Murvin “Police and Thieves”

This was a tricky one. I had both this and the Clash's cover in contention for a long while. There are pro's and con's to each. I personally lean toward Junior Murvin's version (the fact that it was the original helps!). But they're both great. In the end, I decided that only would their combined strengths be worthy of my Top 100. Separately, neither was quite up-to-'snuff. Nonetheless, this was a NEAR miss--so I thought I'd share it here.

Numbersix
Blur “The Universal”

It’s about 15 years old by now and it still sounds like the future.

Geezer
Third Eye Blind, “Anything”

I recently acquired Third Eye Blind's album "Blue" and was blown away by this song. It has become one of my most played tracks recently. I love the band, and there will be plenty more where this came from from them, but damn was this track a breath of fresh air. My only complaint is that it ends way too abruptly! I want more every time I listen to it and often find myself playing it repeatedly 2 or 3 times back to back. That is the definition of a great song to me. For a song I only heard for the first time not even a month ago, I'd say the 101 spot is damn good.

becs
Queens of the Stone Age, “Little Sister”

undeadmonkey
Nappy Roots, “Good Day”

Hah, this song is pretty corny, but i think it's awesome. How can you not feel happy after listening to this.

leestu
The Pixies, “Debaser”

So that's it. Let the last bit of pre-game banter commence.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Ace of Base, “Cruel Summer”

never really got into ace of base, but i didnt hate it

NSpan
Junior Murvin “Police and Thieves”

really liked this one!

Numbersix
Blur “The Universal”

was ok music wise, the lead singer was creeper though

Geezer
Third Eye Blind, “Anything”

wasnt bad, short and sweet, although i dont see how you could count it as favorite with it not being a month old, it usually take me a few months for a song to get old for me or if it actually has staying power

becs
Queens of the Stone Age, “Little Sister”

wasnt bad either, but dont think i could listen to it often

leestu
The Pixies, “Debaser”

I dont think i've ever heard a pixie song, or if i have i didnt know it. but this song just wasnt for me

favorite of the round was Nspan's. just might have to go download it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:favorite of the round was Nspan's. just might have to go download it.
well, while Surfer wows us all with his eclectic and diverse appreciative range of varied musical genres (from a world where even the best bands can only muster one good song apiece)--i hope to impress with solidly GOOD music, even if that means a few repeat bands in the mix.. ;)

Shrykespeare -- Ace of Base, “Cruel Summer”
Ace of Base was one of my "favorite" bands when i was about 11 or 12... that isn't meant to sound condescending at all--i still have nostalgia for 'em.. and, yes, i thought those girls were hot, too.

Numbersix -- Blur “The Universal”
Damon Albarn has written SO much music, I've really only gotten into a fraction of it, to be honest.. but that guy has some talent... i know some people will think it's silly, but I think his collaboration with Dan the Automator (the first Gorillaz LP) had some strokes of genius..

Geezer -- Third Eye Blind, “Anything”
dug the track for the most part.. These guys were one of those bands that were around (read: i was aware of them) in my formative years (musically speaking), but I never got into 'em... in fact, I can't name another song of theirs.. I had friends who loved 'em--I just never really bothered..

becs -- Queens of the Stone Age, “Little Sister”
Another good pick.. Though the only QotSA track that ever REALLY grabbed me was "The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret".. Saw them open for NIN, and (sadly) it was kinda underwhelming..

undeadmonkey -- Nappy Roots, “Good Day”
Fun song.. got a bit repetitive after a while, though..

leestu -- The Pixies, “Debaser”
Quite possibly the first Pixies song I ever heard--and definitely the one that prompted me to explore their music.. Coincidentally, I watched Un Chien Andalou a few months later--and, suddenly, those absurd lyrics suddenly made sense..
Last edited by NSpan on March 31st, 2010, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

PS. virtual high-five to Shryke for coming up with this whole thing.. great way to keep our community hoppin'!

might even consider posting a heads-up in the other sections of the board--just in case any regulars are unaware

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

First of all, you missed me off your list of participants in the top 100, Shryke. Second, whoever said my list would include a diverse range of styles and genres? All of mine are eastern European gypsy punk bands, and before you ask, yes, more than 100 of those exist [wink]. And I'll whisper this, there are a quite a few repeats in my list....

Anyway, responses:

Shryke, I always felt Ace Of Base were kind of underrated as a band due to the fact they were attractive females. They had a talent for creating perfect pop music which most can appreciate, and I do like this song.

NSpan, I liked it, but I preferred The Clash's version.

Six, I love this, along with so many of Blur's music. I think this really proved that Blur could offer a range of styles following their inception as a band in the baggy scene. and they continued to innovate for another 10 years or so. And UDM, I'm sure Albarn was only 'creeper' because the video was an homage to A Clockwork Orange.

Geez, ditto exactly with NSpan. A band I can appreciate and kind of always liked their music, just never enough to really buy into their stuff.

Becs, I like this song, it showed QOTSA's exploration into much darker music, and was the highlight of Lullabies To Paralyze, but I much prefer songs off Rated R and Songs For The Deaf, and one song mentioned previously appears in my top 100.

UDM, meh. Sorry just not my thing.

Leestu. I love this song, absolutely adore it. And it may or may not appear very, very high on my list...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Catching up...

Shryke
Really like that The The song, it's sleazy in an amusing, private dic kinda way. Still can't take Ace of Base seriously though

NSpan
I am sorta immune to those distinctly mid/late 60's love songs. They kinda all sound the same to me, unless it's motown. I do love Police and Thieves. Kinda prefer the Clash cover (especially the falsetto "oh yeah"s), but I really like the version you posted also.

Geezer
I think Rebellion Lies is the Arcade Fire's best song also. They're a really great band (not as amazing as some say), and in time that song might break into my top 100. I'm not a fan of Third Eye Blind, I kinda lump them into this broad category of moderate American rock in that they're very average and indistinct.

Becs
Two excellent picks. 1979 is my favourite Pumpkins song. The only reason they aren't in my Top 100 (although that and Tonight Tonight were contenders) is because I don't like Billy Corgan's voice. But when those guys were good, they were some of the best songwriters of the 90's. Beautiful lyrics also. Queens of the Stone Age are a very good band. You can't go wrong with some cowbell ;)

UDM
I do like the upbeat tempo of the Nappy roots, although hip-hop really isn't my thing. But I do appreciate that it isn't a typical contemporary hip-hop song that spends its time hammering an aggressive beat and glorifying crime and misogyny. However, I suspect it'll be your picks I disagree with most (at least that's been the case so far). Switchfoot are one of those unbearably boring indie bands that more than likely will have a song during one of the hundreds of "emotional" music-only sequences that feature every 5 minutes in Grey's Anatomy. I hear that song and can almost picture Katherine Heigl walk out of the hospital for the very last time, all in predictable slow motion.

Leetsu
Debaser is an utter classic. Can't say much more than that.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My reactions:

NSpan – With a few exceptions – primarily, UB40, who most reggae purists don’t even consider “real” reggae – I find most reggae indistinguishable from each other. Sorry, this song did nothing for me.

Six – Very cool song. I am unfamiliar with most of Blur’s work, having only heard “There’s No Other Way”, “Girls & Boys” and the over played “Song 2”. This sounds like the kind of song Neil Diamond might have sung had he been born thirty years later and had Oasis as his backup band.

Geez – Never been a big TEB fan, but this was a good, well-put-together song. Was it on the soundtrack for any movie? ‘Cause it would be perfect for that.

becs – the Queens started getting airplay at roughly the same time I stopped listening to the radio, so regrettably my knowledge of them begins and ends with “No One Knows” (which I personally love). Didn’t find anything special in this one, though.

UDM – Sorry, so not my thing.

Leestu – For me, the Pixies are hit or miss. I only liked one song off “Doolittle” and it wasn’t this one. (It was “Here Comes Your Man”.) IMHO, “Trompe Le Monde” was a much better record, though you may disagree.

Geezer, I have everybody's #100 except for yours. Please get it in to me! (And you too, W, if you are indeed participating, along with anyone else who wants to start this thing when the starter's gun goes off.)