Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by becs »

Thats what I mean (embedding disabled is due to copyrights), I guess it isn't a big deal to me as long as the links correct, it doesn't bother me to have it open separately.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay then, from now on that's what I'll do.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Responses:

Shryke, I've never been too much of a fan of Sisters Of Mercy, or in particular, Eldritch (probably due to his grinding voice and obsession with controlling the band), and maybe it's because you only know this song in particular, but SOM were much better on the likes of First And Last And Always (probably because they were the original band and not just Eldritch and his cronies), and Some Kind Of Stranger especially. And the outro for this, along with the terrible guitar work and backing singers is just too much for me.

NSpan, there is some country which is twee beyond belief, but this is a classic, not my style really and would never make my list, but you can certainly appreciate its quality. Her voice is sooo good too, it really aches in a way few can.

Six, Duran Duran are another favourite of my father's and this is a particular favourite of theirs which he played a lot when I was younger. I love the chorus also, its such a natural progression from each verse rather than trying to reach new heights. And they really knew how to work their synths.

Geez, not terrible, sounded a lot like they are influenced by The Pogues, only The Pogues do it much better. The Murphys just don't seem to know how to channel the irish folk into a modern song without destroying what essentially made the music interesting in the first place. Just a little too much punk sound in there is spoiling the mix.

I quite liked the Shiny New Toys song, nice melodic sound.

And this is the only MGMT song I have ever been able to bear through. Most of their stuff just sounds like it was trying too hard. And I couldn't access it on this site either.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:Some responses:

Geez, I like Muse, but that song would certainly not be the one that would make my list. They have done so much better in their first couple of albums, if you haven't already checked out Origins Of Symmetry I suggest that is Muse's best offering. And Nirvana, I guess we're going to have to expect a lot of them in your top 100. Just please tell me you don't have close to 15 songs in it though, that would get a little predictable....

I have a feeling you are going to be very disappointed in my list, Surfer. Its ever more crazy to say that a band has "done so much better" than it is to say that a movie is better. I've listened to quite a bit of Muse, and Starlight stands out to me as the one I enjoy listening to most. Between the lyrics and sound, it stands out... Lots of the songs on my list might not be obscure enough for you, I'm afraid.

And no, there are not 15 songs by Nirvana, there could have been, there would be if it were a top 200, but I think the final number was 8 or 9.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:Responses:

Geez, not terrible, sounded a lot like they are influenced by The Pogues, only The Pogues do it much better. The Murphys just don't seem to know how to channel the irish folk into a modern song without destroying what essentially made the music interesting in the first place. Just a little too much punk sound in there is spoiling the mix.
And that is what I love about it! Most of their stuff isn't so Irish folky, they have one or two an album, I just hapen to really like this one. I think its fun :)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Sorry Geez, I don't mean to sound preachy, and I certainly don't mind if your music isn't very obscure, although part of my interest in this is to find more music I don't know of yet. If you feel Starlight is the best Muse have to offer then who am I to suggest otherwise, just in my own opinion they have shown more range in Origin than in their recent stuff. That may not be to your taste and that is cool. And I can understand why the Murphys are on your list, there is a reason they are popular and that is because they are a hell of a lot of fun (as I witnessed first hand at a festival a few years ago). They may not be the most creative band around but they certainly have their place. Anyway, its good to see such a diverse taste on here and hopefully you'll all have fun ripping my top 100 to shreds when we begin on Thursday...

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It will be interesting, Surfer. I've seen your first ten songs, and while I'm familiar with a few of the bands (five), I'm not sure I've heard ANY of the songs. Should be an event!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I can't believe that, Shryke. I'm absolutely sure most of you will know my no.99, even if you can't recognise it by name.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, you were right. It is familiar to me, I just didn't know the title. And on Friday, everyone else will know it too. (grin)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Okay my responses...
NSpan - good choice. It's one of those classics you forget how good it is. However, I can't help but feel that it's been used so often in movies, TV, and ads, that it has lost something.

Shryke and Becs - Both of your picks scare me, but in very different ways ;)

Geez - I always find it interesting that the Dropkick Murphys aren't very popular over here. They play occasionally in Dublin, but in small venues and no one really cares.

UDM - Good call. I'm not a fan of MGMT but I do like that song. Mostly because it reminds me so much of the Talking Heads.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:Geez - I always find it interesting that the Dropkick Murphys aren't very popular over here. They play occasionally in Dublin, but in small venues and no one really cares.
Now I'm not Irish so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't Irish American's kind of looked down upon by those who live in Ireland - like they are faux-Irish? Maybe Irish people believe they are making a mockery of being Irish, or just hanging on their coat-tails? You should know more than me, six...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, there's definitely a sense over here that every 2nd American claims to be Irish, in that they're great great grandfather emigrated from here. That's like saying Obama is Irish. Although to be honest it's a little nasty to mock people about that, and there's a scent of the stereotypical European snobbery there.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

numbersix wrote:
Shryke and Becs - Both of your picks scare me, but in very different ways ;)
I'm really not sure what that means, all my picks thus far have been relatively tame and have some sort of mainstream popularity at the least, what is so scary?
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It was just a nicer way of saying that while Sister of Mercy is scary in their elobrate goth appearance, I found the song you picked so bad it was scary!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My response to round 103.... yuck. Sorry to say that I couldn't get into any of them. And like Shryke, when I hear Stand By Your Man, I can only think of it being performed by Jake and Elwood.