Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by Shrykespeare »

You asked for it, you got it.

In this post are the songs listed at #105 by five of your fellow Fantaversians. I will post #104 later tonight, #103 tomorrow, #102 on Tuesday, #101 on Wednesday, before starting in earnest with everyone's #100 on Thursday.

Anyone who wants to send me their #105-#101 list between now and then can do so, and I will simply add them to the appropriate posts, even if I have to do so retroactively.

Since this is just a pre-game warmup, I'll leave it at that for now.

And so, on with the music!

SONG #105

Shrykespeare
The Scorpions, "The Zoo"

I'm a sucker for a pulse-pounding intro, and this one has one at about 11 on the Richter scale. It was so hard to see this slip below the Top 100, but it's such an awesome tune.

NSpan
The Vapors “Turning Japanese”

Generally, I hate this style of music. I see merit in it as novelty--but little else. Many bands spawned in the 80s lost focus on musicianship and were more concerned with their "look." Damn you, MTV. Out of all the crap that came out of this era, this one song--for whatever reason--really sticks with me. I could listen to this track all day. The repetitive chorus, the catchy melody, the hilarious lyrics--what isn't there to like? Much like Oingo Boingo's "Bachelor Party," the Vapors' hit-single defines an era. No matter how you feel about the said era, you can't help but feel a little bit fondly nostalgic when you hear these songs. While Oingo Boingo and Danny Elfman went on to continue shaping the musical landscape of the 80s, 90s, and (would you believe it?) the 00s, The Vapors remain in 1980... Probably still looking at those pictures.

(Sorry, Nick, the link you sent wouldn't embed here)

numbersix
Songs: Ohia, “The Body Burns Away”

One of the many things I love about music is its ability to express abstract ideas much more than film. Songs Ohia spent a lot of time writing alt-country music dealing with the singer’s attempts to battle his depression as well as, as exemplified in this song, meditating on his own mortality. There’s some wonderfully simple but effective guitar-picking throughout this song, emphasizing the singer’s sense of desolation. Interestingly, he eventually won his war on depression, and now writes rather bland country music. Go figure.

http://www.rhapsody.com/songs-ohia/ghos ... urned-away
http://hypem.com/#/track/873284/Songs+O ... urned+Away

Geezer
Muse, “Starlight”

A beautiful piece of music by one of the best modern rock bands in music today. It saddens me to keep it out of the actual top 100, but I couldn't quite fit it. Muse seems to put out song after song of greatness, and give them 5 years, I bet they will see plenty of spots on this list occupied by them. For now though, their best resides at 105.

becs
Pat Benatar, “We Belong”

(original video re-inserted, though you may have to open in a different window to view)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by NSpan »

The Zoo! Ha, I seriously considered that for my own #105. Nice!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It's probably for the better that I stayed out of this. I only know one song by Muse and have never heard of Ohia.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

:P thats not really a reason to stay out of it, in fact that's probably more reason to be in it including different songs. Considering the Ohia song isn't even available on youtube, I doubt we are in the minority not having heard of them.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You can still take part, Buscemi. Don't let your lack of knowledge of obscure bands chase you off (I'd never heard of Ohia either). If every song on your Top 100 was a #1 hit, so be it. We're here to showcase, not show off. And if doing a Top 100 is too daunting, feel free to join us in mid-stream with a Top 50 (or whatever). No one will be turned away, and no one's choices will be mocked. Well, maybe just a LITTLE, but we're all grown-ups here. I'm used to defending my tastes from all enemies, foreign and domestic. (Grin.)

And now, as promised, here is:

SONG #104

Shrykespeare
Level 42, “Leaving Me Now”

One of my three favorite bands of all time. Such a sad, sorrowful ballad, with great lyrics and a truly wonderful extended piano solo at the end by Mike Lindup. Off of World Machine, their only really big album in the U.S. The version I’ve included is a live version played only a few years ago.

NSpan
Old Crow Medicine Show, “I Hear Them All”

Old Crow is one of the most promising bands of the 21st century. With three, big-label, full-length albums under their belt, they're not new to the scene. Nonetheless, I feel that their greatest work is still yet to come. In the meantime, they already have an amazing discography. In fact, several (around 4-6) of their tracks warranted serious consideration for my final Top 100 list. The ONLY reason I omitted them all is simply because the music is all too fresh. While there are a few other "new" bands on my list, I just can't definitively claim that Old Crow Medicine Show has reached the pinnacle label of "classic" quite yet. They could die in a plane-crash tomorrow and, based solely on their output up to this point, their existing music would inevitably crack my Top 100 in a few years. All it needs is some time to settle. This track in particular shows them at their most introspective. Alt-country is a tricky genre. It's hard to please the country traditionalists, and it's hard to engage the rockers. Old Crow doesn't try to please any particular crowd--they just write strong songs and provide exceptional musicianship each and every time.

numbersix
The Rolling Stones “Gimme Shelter”

They say this is the Stones going political, but Richards claims he came up with the song when watching Jagger have sex with a groupie. It must have been pretty damn inspiring to generate an intro like this.

Geezer
Nirvana, “Come As You Are”

You will be seeing plenty more of these guys later on in my countdown, they are seen more often than any other band, as they are my favorite, so I won't waste a lot of time here. Just know that this is one of a few songs of theirs that just missed. There could have easily been 15 Nirvana songs on my list.

becs
No Doubt, "Don't Speak"

undeadmonkey
Basshunter, "Russian Privjet"

I love techno, unfortunately this is the highest one. But i felt like representing it, I feel Tiesto is a bit overrated and Darude is just ok, so i whenever im in the mood I usually go for Basshunter.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

And remember, this is not a contest to find the most avid music lover, just for us guys (and girls, sorry becs) to list all our favourite songs. It doesn't matter if the songs are what others of us would consider good (heck, just look at what Shrykey listed as his first song!!), it's just our own personal favourites. And I'd hope that you may be able to introduce us to some new stuff too. I for one am using this topic for this reason, I've already added Songs: Ohia to my amazon list after listening to a few of their stuff.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:(heck, just look at what Shrykey listed as his first song!!)
Meaning WHAT, exactly?!? (with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

SS, if there's one Songs Ohia record you should get it's Didn't It Rain, it's a stunning album. You won't regret it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

PS Shryke, Can you amend my 105 listing? The band name is Songs: Ohia, not Ohia!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I sorta dig Ohia... kinda reminds me of Townes Van Zandt (if, instead of playing solo, he had a full band behind him--which, i admit, would've been odd.. especially considering the emo-poppy place they take the conclusion of the song)

Becs, I see what Pat Benetar has to offer... i respect it... it's just not for me.. likewise with No Doubt--I see and appreciate the merit................. it's just not for me... dig your style, though... (note of fact: i owned this no doubt cd within a few days of its original release)

Geez... I have 4 Muse albums, seen 'em twice live, and still couldn't bring myself to include them in my top 100/5 list... (Though "New Born" was a contender).. As you said, let's give em a couple of years, and they'll be fucking CLASSIC.. for nivana: kinda surprised their second-biggest hit didn't crack your top 100... but, as you said, we'll get more into that later

Shryke-y--weird! I thought Level 42 was a modern-day King Crimson side-project... turns out, I'm wrong.. intersting--mostly because i've read SO much about these guys and always just assumed the kCrimson cKonnection... might have to check them out with a clean slate

six -- gimme shelter.. good pick.. it ALMOST made my cut--there were just a few too many GREAT stones songs that i had to put before it

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

for the record, i'm going out of my way to listen to EACH and EVERY submission from START to FINISH... as a music-lover, it's a blast to hear what other music-lovers are fanatic about... this might also prove to be educational, as we all have our own special niches of expertise within the vague umbrella of "rock".. keep up the accompanying-summaries with videos--my favorite part so far!!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah I'm doing the same. I really like that Scorpions song Shryke posted, as well as The Old Crow Medicine Show, who I never heard of. Are they a local band, NSpan?

Geez, I have to say I hate Muse. They're flamboyant yet take themselves serious, which just comes off as pretentious to me. But don't worry, you've redeemed yourself with Come as You Are and the promise of more Nirvana to come.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

they're actually from Nashville.. although their style of music takes a very ANTI-nashville approach...

even though they're relatively "new-to-me," they've been around for a decade

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Good news, all... with #104, undeadmonkey has joined the party!

Six: Changed Ohia to Songs: Ohia. Sorry about that.

Surfer: Glad you like the Scorpions song. It's definitely one of those "crank it up to 12" songs, isn't it?

NSpan: King Crimson? Wow, never heard that rumor... glad to finally disprove it. Many people who remember them do so only for their one bit hit "Something About You" and perhaps their second, much smaller hit "Lessons in Love", when the truth is, they have been around for thirty years, and released numerous awesome albums. They've just always been much, much bigger in Europe then here. Their sound has evolved over the years, starting with a jazzy funk, going through funky pop with a little disco influence. They've had lineup changes, but frontman/bassist Mark King and keyboardist/vocalist Mike Lindup have been there from Day One. Compared to my other alternative favorites, they are very middle-of-the-road, but there's just something intangible about them that makes them very near and dear to my heart. Their lyrics are sweet if simplistic, and their melodies are equally simplistic but friggin' genius in their delivery.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Gimme Shelter actually would have been a contender for my list, except I don't happen to have it. As it stands, One Stones song made the list, and I'm happy with that. But Gimme Shelter is easily my number 2 from the Stones, great choice.

Becs, I'm enjoying your list so far quite a bit. Whenever I hear "We Belong" I can't help thinking of Talladega Nights, which is never a bad thing!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude