Top 100 Songs of all Time

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Top 100 Songs of all Time

Post by W »

Damn... I NEVER check the music room... I wish I would have before now. I'm going to join in, but may not make it before the deadline because I don't have a ton of music, at least not a ton for this kind of thing, and will probably have to do a lot of thinking.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

No sweat, W. If you can't come up with a Top 100, then you can manage a Top 90, or 80, or at whatever point you want to join in.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Holy shitballs, I finally finished! It was a Herculean effort--but, hopefully, it will pay off. The GF has that new-found little sister in her life who has recently turned 13. I figure we can make her some mixtapes based on my list and have a guiding hand in her appreciation for good music.

Just for the record, if anyone cares, my ACTUAL #105-101 turned out to be:

The Toadies - I Come From the Water

Seen the Toadies over a dozen times in concert, this is my favorite track of theirs to hear live. Very straight-forward rock. Funny theme, too. Evolution summed up in a 3-minute grunge song?

The Stooges - 1969

Iggy at his best. Proto-punk spearheaded a new genre--but I feel like none of the derivative acts would ever reach such heights.

The Pixies - Dig for Fire

Pixies doing an amazing Talking Heads impression. Not only was Black Francis a major influence on Kurt Cobain, it turns out he could match chops with David Byrne!

Roy Buchanan - The Messiah Will Come Again

The embedding doesn't work, but if you're a fan of masterful guitarwork--you gotta click on the link. Buchanan is the guitarist's guitarist. For impatient types, the monologue ends at 2:22 and the solo begins.

Black Mountain - Angels

Easily one of my favorite bands of the 21st century. They can channel Sabbath and Rush flawlessly--but they actually contribute to the genre. Their best work is wholly unique--and they sound just as good live!

silversurfer19 wrote:I've tried to keep my list as varied as possible, because I want to really emphasise my taste in music
Still can't wrap my head around this... Just an odd approach if you're really trying to list your 100 favorite songs. How does an arbitrary per-band limit do anything but hinder the authenticity of your endeavor? Anyway, without setting any caps, the most I got out of any band was four-songs apiece.

What about everyone else? How many bands in your list got more than two entries?

For me, 6 bands got three-each, while 8 bands managed four apiece.. It happened organically, but the bands with the most entries are definitely my favorite musical acts..
Last edited by NSpan on March 31st, 2010, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

NSpan: Rob Zombie's music supervisor?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If I really wanted to, I could throw six or eight of The Man in Black's songs on there, but I'm sure it's going to come down to ten or twenty songs that I like about the same amount and I'll cut his if they're in there. Same thing to a lesser extent with the Stones.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

My list is at home and I am at work but I think I've only got 2 artists with 3 entries, but 6 or 7 with 2 entries. Being at work I can't access you tube but tonight I will be checking out every song posted so far that I don't know. In the meantime Dig For Fire is a great selection Nspan. My favourite post Doolittle Pixies song, and it was very well received at their gig last weekend so obviously a fave with others also. Interesting comparison to David Byrne too. I hadn't thought it myself but can see it now.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. I've got five acts with three songs each, and FOURTEEN with two songs each.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:Still can't wrap my head around this... Just an odd approach if you're really trying to list your 100 favorite songs. How does an arbitrary per-band limit do anything but hinder the authenticity of your endeavor? Anyway, without setting any caps, the most I got out of any band was four-songs apiece.

What about everyone else? How many bands in your list got more than two entries?
I don't get it either. Its not an authentic favorite list if you limit the number of songs any one band can have! There is a reason they are our favorite bands after all!

For my list of 105, Nirvana got 9, two other bands got 6, three got 4, three got 3, and 13 got two songs. I'm sorry if this isn't as diverse as people were hoping, but it is the truest representation of the songs that I love the most, at least at this moment of my life.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I get what SS is saying. I've i would of had dont my absolute favorite songs, 25 of the 100 would of been from my favorite artist all in all there might ahve been 10 different artist on the list. I view this as my '100 favorite songs of all music' rather than 'if i could only listen to 100 songs ever again list'.

As it stands i have one artist with 6 songs. and 5 bands/artists with 2 songs a piece, the rest each have one

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hmm. I don't want it to sound like I've dismissed songs from my list purely because I already have a couple on my list from that particular artist already. I have a very large collection of music and any 100 from 500 or so at least could have made my list, and I could pretty much say that the top 100 I have compiled is definitive for our objective anyway. I just conciously considered that if I was weighing up a couple of tracks which I couldn't separate, my decision could be made based on whether that band was already on my list or not. Its not like I was picking a song which was of a lower standard just to keep things varied, just that I considered my approach to give a big a spectrum of my taste as possible. Hope that makes sense.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

1969 is a good song, but 1970 is so much bettet!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:1969 is a good song, but 1970 is so much bettet!
Trust me... i was torn
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

I too have alot of repeats, and at first I had some bands even up to 5 songs, but as I started digging into pandora playlists and looking thru old cds, and tweaking the list I kept coming up with stuff that bumped things off, so only a couple bands appear more than twice, and even those that do appear twice have also been cut down alot.

Wow NSspan, good picks, you are the first that I've liked every single one! I was a little doubtful on the Roy Buchanan song, but once it got into the middle section of just music it was pretty awesome.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I hear ya, SS. My rataionale is that I can't really say that I have one, or even a few favourite artists. If I feel that, it's onyl because I'm in the mood for that artist. By limiting (but by that I also agree with SS in that it's not an unbreakable rule) the amount of artists I feel I am perhaps making a slightly more objective look at my taste in music as a whole, as if I could somehow reach a place where there was no band I was in the mood for, and could judge everyone equally.

I'm not saying this is the best approach, but at least it prevented even more hair-tugging!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Most definitely. My hair is still intact!