Top 100 Songs of all Time

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of all Time

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've been thinking about doing this for a while... compiling a list of my 100 favorite pieces of music of all time.

It will probably take me a few weeks to really put a true and accurate list together, but it's something I would like to do. And since I know that everyone here just LOVES lists, would anyone like to join me?

If no one cares, or if no one is interested, so be it. But if anyone wants me to do it, I will. I will start with #100 on 4/1.

Of course, I would welcome anyone who wants to do this with me. Put together 100 of your favorite pieces of music, and we can all do our own personal countdowns together.

It could be a song from any genre. Or it could be a classical piano concerto or operatic aria. It could be a TV commercial jingle or a novelty song. Anything goes.

Let me know if you're interested, and I will start on 4/1, counting down one per day (or trying to, anyway).

For those of you who know me well, you'll know what to expect: heavy on the alternative genre, particularly between 1982 and 1995. Though there will be some surprises as well, not to mention some definite "WTF??" shockers.

Thoughts?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Top 100 Songs of all Time

Post by Geezer »

I would love to join you, except my musical taste changes daily. If I here a song that I love, I'll probably listen to it 40-50 times in the first week. It instantly becomes a new favorite song. It would be difficult to list all of them. I've been meaning to do something like this using only the songs on my iPod, but I just don't know if it would be worth it because the validity of the list would be so short.

I still need to update my top 100 movies list. I'm 3 months behind :(
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, it sounds like an interesting idea. I imagine I'd go crazy trying to lock down my 100 favourite songs, because my love of a song depends on my mood (unlike a film which generally does the opposite). sounds like a challenge, and I'd love to see others list their fav songs also.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'll see how I go. I have over 1200 albums on my shelves not to mention a lot more on my computer so sifting through those (and those I don't own also) will be tough. But maybe.

And off topic is it just me or is Geezer's new Avatar avatar obscuring half his post?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Yes. Yes, it is.

And I think you might need a heavy duty iPod, Surfer.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yeah, I have a 20GB sony mp3 player which can house about 400 of my albums but that means I have to rotate all my music all the time. I should really invest in one with a bigger memory...

And thanks for sorting out your Avatar avatar Geez.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Okay I'm in - I've compiled 105 songs that I can post simultaneously with you, Shryke, or after, or whatever works best.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

silversurfer19 wrote:Yeah, I have a 20GB sony mp3 player which can house about 400 of my albums but that means I have to rotate all my music all the time. I should really invest in one with a bigger memory...

And thanks for sorting out your Avatar avatar Geez.
My iPod holds 80GB and they also make them in 160GB. However, these are of the Classic variety and feature no touch screen or apps.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i'm interested, but i'd need to rope it in and do something a little more genre-specific... (i couldn't possibly narrow down my favorite "pieces of music" to a mere 100)... maybe "100 favorite popular-rock songs of the last 50 years".. that still sounds pretty damn broad--but, this way, i could forgo blues, jazz, classical, traditional country, etc.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay then. I will post my #100 song on April 1st. Anyone who wants to join me can do the same.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

ooh, id like to join, i have most of my songs rated on my itunes, so it shouldnt be too hard (i rated them a while ago, because i was going to do a 100 favorite list). Although its not nearly as extensive as some of yalls, i only have 3000 songs. most of you might not like my music considering what you guys like and dont, it's mostly from the 2000s onward, but ill still join the fun and take the criticism :)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:And thanks for sorting out your Avatar avatar Geez.
I didn't do anything to change it to make it stop doing that, so if its good now, it must have self-corrected. I never had a problem seeing my posts because of it.

And in the words of Mitch Hedberg: "Its so damn literal!"
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

It's gone back again. Maybe you could change the image as I'm sure there are plenty of posters which are a smaller size. And UDM, don't go building us all up for a fall just because we have a bigger collection of music. It probably just means we are having to pick through a bigger pile of crap. And a lot of the stuff post 2000 has been pretty good.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

i'm hoping to participate and am looking forward to seeing (hearing) everyone elses choices, including yours UDM.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Awesome! This is going to be fun! Wonder how many songs will appear in more than one of our Top 100's....