Best of 2014

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Best of 2014

Post by silversurfer19 »

6. St. Vincent, 'St. Vincent'
Annie 'St.Vincent' Clark was a singer I mainly knew from her time in The Polyphonic Spree, and had pretty much only observed her solo career from the sidelines in recent years. However, she knows seems to have the self confidence to truly BE the pop star she always set out to be, and on her self titled record, her songs are finally good enough to match such a bold ambition. In a similar way that David Bowie stepped back and allowed Ziggy Stardust to take centre stage, I feel St. Vincent has really stepped it up on this record. A deeply complex album despite it's polished veneer, the record displays all the hallmarks of an artist who is confident and brazen enough to still be ambitious with her lyrics whilst also creating an accessible sound to expand her audience. St. Vincent can only get bigger and bigger following this.

St. Vincent, 'Birth In Reverse'

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Song #6. POND "Elvis' Flaming Star"

I spent 2013 listening to a lot of garage rock, modern hippy shit, and psych rock. Here is all three in the one song. From a Perth band (and I can be bit parochial but I think we have a pretty good indepent live music scene here) who have a couple of members who are also in Tame Impala. They may have the fame and sucess but I prefer these guys.
Pond - "Elvis' Flaming Star" (Official Music Vide…: http://youtu.be/sLrJv_-SCVg

And if anyone dug that in any way you should check out their single Giant Tortoise from last year. Way better than this and retrospectively would be one of my very favourite songs of 2013. Here...I've even done the work for you...Pond - Giant Tortoise: http://youtu.be/jvZ9tEb67HE

Album #6. JONATHAN BOULET "Gubba"
This Melbourne singer/songwriter's first two albums were indie folk pop. Nothing special but better than most of that ilk. However on this one it's like he has discovered noise but kept his song writing skills and his ability to write catchy songs, as best exemplified on album closer High Five Guy. Try listening to that one a few times and not humming or singing along. With elements of hardcore, grunge, punk, and post punk this powerhouse of an album just pounds along with one great song after another. Even the short instrumental interludes keep you wanting to stay on the ride. I could have easily chosen a large handful of songs here.
Listen to 05 YOU'RE A MAN by Popfrenzy #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/popfrenzy/05-youre-a-man

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I may as well jump in now that people are reaching their top 5's.

The first couple of these were posted on DRR a while back. I've my my full write-up ready to go and I was going to wait a few days before posting it, so you guys might get a sneak preview.

#5 - Oh Susanna "Namedropper"

Oh Susanna is the stage name of Suzie Ungerleider, a singer-songwriter who was born in Massachusetts but raised in Vancouver. As you can probably guess from her stage name, she works in the area of Americana, Alt-Country, or Modern Folk, which all mean more or less the same thing, so you can pick your favourite label and apply it as you wish. If you’re a fan of Patty Griffin, The Be Good Tanyas, or The Wailin’ Jennys, then Oh Susanna is probably right in your wheelhouse.

For this album, she teamed up with producer Jim Bryson, a member of Kathleen Edwards’ touring band, with the idea of performing songs by other Canadian songwriters she knows and respects, such as Ron Sexsmith, Joel Plaskett, and Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, but what separates Namedropper from other cover albums is that none of these songs have ever been recorded before. All the songwriters in question provided these songs with this album in mind, allowing Oh Susanna to put her personal stamp on them. The end result is both fresh and familiar, and one of my favourite albums of the year.

It also probably has the best dynamics of any album I’ve heard this year, so once again a Kickstarter-funded, truly independent artist has managed to deliver the kind of sound quality the major labels originally helped define but now completely ignore.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Sunbathing Animal - hmm....great album, but #10 and #8 good?
Sharon Van Etten - I gave the whole album a try. Great voice but it didn't really keep me interested.
Ought - I loved this album when Surfer intoduced me to it earlier. A couple of listens later it's even better. The best find for me from this so far. I listened again yesterday with the aim of choosing the best few for my favourites playlist, got to the end and thought fuck it, and added every song to it. By the way how good is Pill from their ep? Even better in my opinion!!
EMA - I liked this a lot...think I'll check the whole album out
Perfume Genius - I liked this album, and it was on my shortlist because it has some great moments, but in the end I think the odd moments and the piano pieces clash a bit and the album tails off at the end.
Meatbodies - as soon as you mentioned Mikael Cronin I was intrigued, and then I found out it also has an ex member of Fuzz and I was sold! I wasn't disappointed, really got into this.
St Vincent - Heard a few songs over the last few years and to be honest they just don't really do anything for me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I know Alt-J seem to have picked up a bit of a following over here and I suppose I thought they would be your regular indie pop band but this I can't say I was expecting. Certainly intriguing with a nice, almost world music beat, though not sure I'm completely sold on them yet. Will maybe look into more of their work.

I got the Mac DeMarco record earlier in the year following all the hype from critics, but perhaps it was because I was listening to a few lighter offerings at that time but this just didn't last very long on my playlist. I found I'd rather listen to Beck or Real Estate over this a lot, and while it's certainly pleasant enough, just didn't really have that thing to drag me back. Same again listening to it now.

Yeah, Seth McFarlane has a decent crooner voice, but really other than for novelty value to be played for three weeks of a year I just don't think it offers anything I'd be interested in. May crack it out when I'm putting up the Christmas tree next year, mind!

Night Terrors of 1927 is a great name, but musically it did nothing for me. Had an 80s vibe, maybe a little George Michael. Not something I'd ever care to hear again though.

Obviously I'm a fan of both Sharon Van Etten and Ought, so nice to see some more love on here for both.

Total Control had a really interesting 80s hardcore vibe to it, also a little Pixies, even a little Sabbath. Lots of influences, and certainly something I want to explore more. Where would you suggest as a good starting point if their new record is not something you'd recommend?

I love the Pixies, two of their records are among my very, very favourite. But I just couldn't get into this record. Yes, there are elements of what made their later work on Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova interesting, but I just don't think this record had enough of the original spirit of the Pixies whilst also not being fresh enough either. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but this was this biggest downer of the year for me.

Again, nice to see more love for EMA and Perfume Genius, I can see a few crossovers appearing between our picks now!

The Pond track was very interesting, had a kind of space age, almost Bowie-esque vibe to psychedelia, sounds like the kind of band that would be awesome live. I keep imagining these and Flaming Lips playing together in some huge new years party, kinda awesome really.

Jonathan Boulet did folk pop? You'd never have guessed it from that track, loved it. Very punchy with some great hooks.

Probably not the best transition from that track to the Oh Susanna record, but to be honest it was very nice. Rootsy and would be perfect for a middle America movie soundtrack, will probably look into this a lot more.

A lot of good stuff today, really enjoyed a lot of it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

This year a lot of my favourite tracks were on my favourite albums, so I'm going cheat a little here and join the two when possible.

ALBUM #5

TRACK #5

FKA Twigs

"Two Weeks"

"Pendulum"

I loved her EP last year and FKA Twigs delivered even more than expected in her debut album. Best described as a mix between 90s trip-hop, with a dash of experimental electronica, modern RnB, and even a dash of Prince at times, this is a very assured sound for someone so young. But Twigs is an assured person, her songs powerful, sensual (particularly in stand-out track Two Weeks), and at times very direct. Musically, what makes her stand out is her use of space and gaps - she's not trying to fill your ear with bombast to mask the lack of writing. The sparseness gives this a more intimate feeling to this beautiful record.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:

Total Control had a really interesting 80s hardcore vibe to it, also a little Pixies, even a little Sabbath. Lots of influences, and certainly something I want to explore more. Where would you suggest as a good starting point if their new record is not something you'd recommend?
Their split ep with The Oh Sees is a great taster. Four good songs each from both bands.
Sweaty: http://youtu.be/PX3q_KEC78M
But their debut Henge Beat is an excellent post punk album well worth getting. I highly recommend it!
Total Control - Meds II: http://youtu.be/q34pNSOvav8

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

#4 - Brownout Presents Brown Sabbath

Another covers album, Brown Sabbath is an off-shoot of an Austin band called Brownout, and for this side-project they’ve recorded an album of Black Sabbath covers like you’ve never heard them before, i.e. with a funky, Latin vibe.

They wisely chose to focus mostly on deep cuts like Planet Caravan from the early years of Black Sabbath, which allows them to take a song like The Wizard, which I’d never really paid attention to, and turn it into an absolute killer. And when they tackle an overplayed Sabbath signature tune like Iron Man, they make it their own by turning it into a barely recognizable instrumental.

In many cases, I find that these covers improve on the originals, replacing the hazy, druggy feel of early Sabbath with a more lively and vital, yet still heavy sound, and the horn section definitely gives these songs a distinctive yet respectful feel that should appeal to both fans of the originals and people who would never dream of listening to heavy metal. Brown Sabbath is the kind of eclectic project that could expand the musical palettes of anyone who hears it, making it okay for headbangers to delve into Latin music, and vice-versa, and the world needs more bands willing to break down the rigid, self-imposed barriers that separate different genres.

It may be the album I spent the most time listening to in 2014, but since it's a covers album I decided to rank it at #4, awesome as it may be.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Song #5. FKA TWIGS "Two Weeks"

Great song like Six said. All I'll add is it has cross genre appeal. One of the very few songs from this year that all five of my family, with their varied music tastes, liked.
FKA twigs - Two Weeks: http://youtu.be/3yDP9MKVhZc

Album #5 PETER BIBBY "Butcher/Hairstylist/Beautician"

There is a distinctive Aussie singer/songwriter style that is almost country and Peter Bibby adopts this style but gives it his own folk punk twist, especially in the vocal delivery. This debut album by Peter Bibby & His Bottles of Confidence (to give credit to his backing band and/or his inspiration) offers up honest, humourous, interesting, autobiographical (?) tales of an alcoholic, possibly occasionally homeless, struggling musician. And initially hailing from Perth, on a personal level, it's fun to hear Perth suburbs and locales get some mentions. But while the lyrics are a standout, nearly every song is interesting musically too. Without any disrespect to the earlier tracks, from Hates My Boozin' onwards this album is outstanding. I wanted to choose Stinking Rich, the highlight of the album but I can't find it anywhere. It's a very funny jolly song on the surface but is actually quite profound and moving at the end, with the music rising and crashing perfectly in sync with the storytelling. It can be found on spotify if anyone uses that.
PETER BIBBY - Hates My Boozin': http://youtu.be/kwyLMnN_lhU

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Catching up on picks #9 to #7

Nice to hear Bill Callahan. Even when he's coasting it he still sounds good.
I didn't bother with the TV on the Radio record. Their last one just didn't stick with me. That song was decent but not strong enough to make me want to check out the rest.
Really enjoyed both the Alt-J and Mac Demarco songs. Both have a touch of weirdness but yet are really nice.
Seth MacFarlane has gone serious? Has he truly disappeared into his own ass? Still, the musical arrangement was pretty good.
Great to hear some Total Control. Flesh War almost made it into my Top 10 songs of the year. This new record does lean more to New Wave, but it's still damn good. And surf, let me second the Henge Beat recommendation. Think I put it in my Top Ten albums of 2012.
As for the new Pixies stuff, it doesn't really do it for me. Think there's a real doing-it-for=the-money vibe. But hey, at least they're touring again. Got to see them live for the first time ever this year, and really enjoyed them.
Never heard of Meatbodies, but damn that song rocked. Ty Segall has a Midas touch these days. Must check out more of these guys.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

TRACK AND ALBUM #4

Protomartyr: Under Colour of Official Right

"Scum Rise"

"Bad Advice"

Although this is their second album, these Detroit guys came out of nowhere with a blistering single, Scum Rise (which seems to be about the warped mentality of someone who would bomb a public place for personal reasons). Like the rest of the album, there's a heady mix of influences, from the rawness of The Stooges and MC5, to more recent acts like The Strokes and even The National in their sometimes dense lyrics. Every track on this album, even the shorter ones, demonstrate a yearning for expression. One of the best guitar albums in years.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

5. The Antlers, 'Familiars'
When it comes to beautifully crafted records to break your heart, not many bands can match The Antlers. From their debut Hospice, through Burst Apart and now Familiars, the band have honed a real talent for making songs that will move you. However, while their previous records have presented Pete Silberman's demons for all to see, this album appears to be moving towards the light, offering glimpses of hope and redemption after wrestling them for so long. The addition of a horn section makes the music all the more lush and elegant than ever before, while the use of piano is simply mesmerising. A really quite beautiful record.

The Antlers, 'Palace'

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

4. Benjamin Booker, 'Benjamin Booker'
Step forward Mr. Booker, the man to lead the new charge of blues influenced rock following the success in the late 90s of The White Stripes and The Black Keys after them. The debut record from the man from New Orleans takes a tour through Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson and even a little Sam Cooke as he thrashes through his 40 minute set which feels more like a live record than a studio recording such is the grimy intensity of it all. Vocals are buried under the shambolic production and becomes another instrument in itself, whilst his guitar playing oscillates between angry tension and delicate finger picking delightfully. Certainly a force to look out for, Booker is the most important new talent out there right now.

Benjamin Booker, 'Slow Coming'

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Song #4. SLAVES "Hey"

I somehow just stumbled upon this while watching live performances on youtube one day and loved it. Haven't heard a great classic UK punk type song for ages. Rough and raw, fast and frenetic, passionate and energetic, and attitude over skill.
Slaves - Hey - Later... with Jools Holland - BBC …: http://youtu.be/T6oFBFcX8eM

Album #4. TY SEGALL "Manipulator"

I'm a huge Ty Segall fan. He just doesn't stop but it's not quantity over quality. He just keeps on putting out great music. Like every song on this double album. Saw him live a couple of weeks ago on his first ever Australian tour. Awesome show! Tell Me What's Inside Your Heart live was incredible!
Ty Segall - The Crawler: http://youtu.be/awMTT5dkkxs

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

So Surfer I realised you posted a different St Vincent track and this one was quite interesting. I might relent and give the album a go one day, especially seeing as she is playing at a festival I'm going to in about a month.

Didn't really get into the Oh Susanna song but that Brownout song was fun!

The FKA twigs album was another on my shortlist. Definitely reminded me of the Portishead era of trip hop but more modern. I have to be in the right mood to listen to the whole album though which is probably what stopped it being top ten worthy for me.

Hah! I had seen the name around but I assumed Protomartyr were a metal band. More fool me because this was good!

I've heard a couple of Antlers songs and always found them moving. I liked the slow patient build of this song.

That Benjamin Booker album really is quite good!