Best of 2014

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Best of 2014

Post by Geezer »

10-2 Recap:

10. Twopointeight – From Wires
9. PUP - PUP
8. THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM - Get Hurt
7. Cayetana - Nervous Like Me
6. The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace There Is
5. Spraynard - The Mark, Tom and Patrick Show
4. The Menzingers - Rented World
3. Chumped - Teenage Retirement
2. Modern Baseball - You're Gonna Miss It All

And finally, we have reached number one. And it should surprise absolutely no one. In fact, everything else was basically competing for number two. The competition was over as soon as it started. This was the first album of 2014 that I listened to, debuting back in January, and well, saying it was worth waiting for is an understatement. It's the greatest band on earth at the height of their powers. An artist at her most raw, emotional, very best. Here's what I wrote about Against Me!'s "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" upon first hearing it:

"How I could have my expectations as high as humanly fucking possible and STILL have them met is a truly phenomenal accomplishment. This album was almost guaranteed to be a let down in some way, because of how long I waited for it, because of my emotional attachment to the artist, etc... However, even with all of that, Against Me! has created something that defied the odds and, if anything, exceeded even my wildest dreams. It's the first album I have ever heard that truly rivals Nirvana's Nevermind on a scale of excellence. I simply can not stop listening to it, front to back, never skipping a song. From the breathtakingly honest title track that opens the album, to the closing "Fuck You" to everyone who ever wrote them off that is "Black Me Out" (which might be the best song they have ever done) this album is as close to perfect as anything I've had the pleasure to listen to."

And quite simply, not a single word of that opinion has changed. It is not hyperbole in any way. It really is that special of an album. It is the 2nd greatest album I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. The more people who I can share this greatness with, the better.

Against Me! - "Transgender Dysphoria Blues"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgFGgj ... fLXx9zvdT1
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude