Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #10) #10-#2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #10) #10-#

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.8

englishozzy:White Stripes, "Elephant" - I've said it previously but for me this was the beginning of the end for The White Stripes. While there are undoubtedly some great songs on here, notably Seven Nation Army, Black Math, There's No Home, Hyonortize and Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine, but there's just too much filler too. I never really liked the idea of Meg singing, and their Dusty cover doesn't work completely for me. However, it's still a fantastic record, just not as good as what came prior.

JohnErle:Yaz, "Upstairs At Eric's " - I remember Yaz from back when I was a kid, and that song was at every party I went to with my parents. I think overall I prefer the music from the bands that made up this band, especially so Depeche Mode (though Erasure wrote some fantastic singles), but Alison Moyet was a great singer. Would I listen to this very often, though? Probably not, I was never huge on 80s electro (neither am I in modern electro either), and while you can certainly hear some influences on what is released today, it does tend to sound a little dated still.

Leestu: Sonic Youth, “Goo” - Another record from my own list, Mildred Pierce is a fantastic song.

numbersix: Radiohead, “Kid A” - While it's another occassion we have listed a record from the same band on the same day, I do much prefer OK Computer over Kid A. As I've mentioned here previously, I've grown to appreciate much of what I originally despised from this record, and it's influence on modern music is certainly evident, but what came prior from this band just excites me so much more. Although The National Anthem is awesome.

Ron Burgundy: Spoon, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" - I remember this being released to rave reviews, but never got around to checking it out. Apparently I have heard that first song though, it sounded instantly familiar and is indeed catchy. Not sure it offers anything more than that, but certainly it's pleasant. Second song didn't really click for me though, just kind of bypassed me, same with the third. I think that is my issue with what I've heard, actually, it just sounds too pleasant, if that makes sense. It neither excites nor challenges me.

transformers: Nas, "Illmatic" - I think by now its fairly obvious this just isn't my genre. Didn't even have the samples that sometimes make it a little more interesting.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

8. Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape," 1997

1.Doll – 3 stars
2.Monkey Wrench – 5 stars
3.Hey, Johnny Park – 4 stars
4.My Poor Brain – 5 stars
5.Wind Up – 5 stars
6.Up In Arms – 5 stars
7.My Hero – 5 stars
8.See You – 4 stars
9.Enough Space – 3 stars
10.February Stars – 5 stars
11.Everlong – 5 stars
12.Walking After You – 4 stars
13.New Way Home – 5 stars

This album is another that has received a ton of love on these countdowns, and obviously I agree with the acclaim. I probably rate it highest of anyone, but we'll have to see. It is far and away the Foo Fighters best record, and that is saying a lot because they are an absolute treasure among other modern rock acts. Dave Grohl proves again just how talented he is, fronting this band after drumming for Nirvana. This is one of those albums that will go down in history. It is as great today as it was back in the late 90's. From the hits to the album cuts, it is just tremendous throughout. When I sat down to organize my list and listened to each album before slotting it, I knew this would always "Wind Up" in my top 10. And there it stayed, without ever a doubt. Most of the best songs have already been featured, but here's some more, Enjoy!

"My Poor Brain"

"New Way Home"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHLBMFnDsVg
"February Stars"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG1xEHij08
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Some quick responses...

Ozzy: Speak of the devil. I'm not as hard on this as SS is, probably because I don't hold any one Stripes album in particularly high regard. There's filler on all of them. But there are some great tunes on this record, such as Black Math, Little Acorns, and the singles.

Geez: A very enjoyable album. Interesting that no one picked their first record, which I think is also quite good. What are your thoughts on it?

John E: Didn't know Vince Clarke was in this act before Depeche Mode, but it totally makes sense when you listen to early DM stuff. Synth-pop isn't really my thing, I guess I prefer it to be a little nastier, such as the first two Suicide records. But there is something pleasant about the dramatic feelings these guys bring to their music.

Leetsu: Why the hell don't I have this album? Being the follow-up to Daydream Nation should alone be worth buying it for. I recently bought Bad Moon Rising, which is a bit rambling but has some great moments.

Ron B: I think I prefer their previous two albums over this, but there's some good songs, particularly the second one you posted.

SS: Obviously a great album. Definitely an important moment in our musical pasts. Still remember the day I bought it, and how I poured over the album artwork. Magic.

Tranny: Wasnt' able to get into the lyrics much, but the samples and music were pretty good.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The first Foo fighters is also excellent, Six. It doesn't have the depth of quality of this one, but it's got some really awesome tracks.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.7

englishozzy
Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction"
, 1987

Probably one of the greatest debut album's to date Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction blew me away with the first listen. Another band I found through their Greatest Hits album originally but I found listening to their back catalogue they really hit the sweet spot with their first release.

"Paradise City"

"Welcome to the Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Geezer
Blink-182, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket "
, 2001

1.Anthem Part 2 – 4 stars
2.Online Songs – 5 stars
3.First Date – 5 stars
4.Happy Holidays You Bastard – 4 stars
5.Story of a Lonely Guy – 4 stars
6.The Rock show – 5 stars
7.Stay Together For The Kids – 5 stars
8.Roller Coaster – 5 stars
9.Reckless Abandon – 5 stars
10.Everytime I Look for You – 4 stars
11.Give Me One Good Reason – 5 stars
12.Shut Up – 4 stars
13.Please Take Me Home – 4 stars

I know you've all been waiting ever so patiently for some Blink from the old Geezer, so here you go! At long last, Blink-182 makes their debut on my countdown at number 7 with this phenomenal display of pop-punk gold. I love this album so much that I almost can't listen to it just once through. I almost always listen to it two or three times before putting it away. The best band of the late 90's/early 00's came off the tremendous Enema of the State and just continued to bring it. I know many of you hate this band, but I absolutely adore them, start to finish. They were the anthem to my teenage years. Here's the 3 song stretch of the album that I love the best.

"Stay Together for the Kids"

"Roller Coaster"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB0LJYtwtow
"Reckless Abandon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzqEEPUJLvQ

JohnErle
The Clash, "London Calling"
, 1979

What more can be written about this album? The Clash were the best punk band ever because they refused to let themselves be confined by anyone else's definition of what a punk band should sound like. They played things other punk bands never would have dreamt of, and then they walked away not long after their peak, keeping their legacy intact. I hesitate to even call them a punk band because they transcended the genre so completely. Other punk bands have their moments of greatness, but the Clash were simply better, and this album is their best. End of discussion.

"Rudie Can't Fail"

"Hateful"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhcq5pEv3xw

Leestu
R.E.M, “Automatic for the People”
, 1992

“Monty Got a Raw Deal”

“Sweetness Follows”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9w3ue9_fo
“Star Me Kitten”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM29GOXrijk

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Joy Division, “Unknown Pleasures”
, 1979

I remember the very moment I first listened to this record. I had heard of them through a newspaper article calling them a major influence on Radiohead. I had heard the Girls Against Boys cover of She's Lost Control and Love Will Tear Us Apart. While on a school exchange trip to France we took a trip home via Paris, and in the Louvre shopping centre a record store had a section for alternative music. I figured I'd take a punk on these guys ,and was intrigued by the bold album artwork. On the bus back I pressed play on my discman and my classmates faded into darkness, the din became silence, and I slipped into another world once those opening bass notes and that whirling yet distant synth struck. Never has a band been so good and aurally representing the bleak world they wanted to create.

This was a glimpse of a band on an unstoppable course through rock music. Here we get the arse end of punk rock before it hit the icy cold world of darkwave. The hooks are still there, provided by (appropriately) Peter Hook who played his bass like a solo guitar, accompanied by Bernard Sumner's punctuations of sharp guitar punches with the occasional killer riff. Young singer Ian Curtis evokes his literary heroes in the dark but fascinating lyrics of alienation and desperation.

"She's Lost Control"

"Wilderness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhKV32Vf7U

Ron Burgundy
Air, "Moon Safari"
, 1998

It's fitting that i played this album probably more than i ever have in 3 days when i was in Paris, the music just clicked with the scenery. And after those 3 days, i played it some more, and really dug into the french duos beats. The music just like it glides by seamlessly and the pace is wonderfully slow at times but never boring and collates almost random sounds together like a symphony.

"La Femme D'Argent"

"Remember"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7umgkNX8NM
"New Star In The Sky"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwjmqYdb_EU

silversurfer
Jeff Buckley, "Grace"
, 1994

I used to go to my local record store once a week when I was a teenager, spending my paper round money on an one of the hundreds of CDs that had accumulated on my Amazon wish list. And every week I'd pass by this record, intrigued by comments from a member of staff recommending it. I just didn't think the record was for me though. I mean, for some reason I just thought he was some late night bar crooner based on the cover, just not my style. And indeed when I eventually plucked up the courage and stumped up my not very hard earned cash on it, it certainly wasn't my usual style. Buckley's jazz inspired, softly spoken lyrics were totally not the usual for me. Yet somehow I was mesmerized. I had never heard a voice like this before, so full of passion and impossible to ignore. He was not restricted to a style, both in his voice and his music, and I guess in turn he has had that kind of effect on my musical passion over time, as I continue to explore new genres and styles, blending or burning down preconceived notions of how music should sound.

I missed out on the opportunity to ever witness this masterful musician live. I wish I had been more open minded with this record earlier, I may have had the chance to see him, as his Live At Sin-e record only furthers my appreciation for his abilities. But as it is, having lost such a man so prematurely, I'm left with this record, ten tracks of pure genius (and I don't throw around genius very often) that send me oscillating between euphoria and devastation on each track.

"Lover, You Should've Come Over"

"Last Goodbye"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtS0rwQK_pI
"Dream Brother"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7z_2QRELhw

transformers
Nirvana, "Nevermind"
, 1991

"Lounge Act"

"Come As You Are"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqN0ZOEO9oI
Last edited by silversurfer19 on April 10th, 2013, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ozzy - Obviously I also love this one.

JE - Good Zeppelin album, but not their best.

Leestu - Though the seeds are certainly there on Bleach, and there are some great tracks, for me it is just that, the seeds of the fruit that was yet to come.

Six - You're a very strange individual.

Ron - Back In Black is another album that made my list, absolutely fantastic.

Surfer - I bought this album on the strength of "Fell In Love With a Girl" and "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground." However, I just didn't feel the rest of the album held up, and I haven't listened to it in ages. The rest were just far too unusual for me.

Tranny - not a big fan of Megadeth.

Ozzy - Ahh, Dookie. The sweet smell of Dookie.

JE - This was ok, but not something I'd seek further.

Leestu - This is simply not my style.

Six - I've got nothing against classical music, but I was bored.

Ron - Not bad, but again, I've heard it before and it hasn't exactly forced me to run out and seek more.

Surfer - Yeah, if any Smiths album is going to get me hooked in, this appears to be it.

Tranny - Damn it, Pantera this beer is warm! Get me another one! Not bad.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ozzy
I dont love em, or hate em, and havent heard the whole album, but the songs you picked are probably my favorite examples of the band.

Geez
Like Ozzys choice its a band i dont love or hate. Rock show is a song i like, and my friends used to play this album alot, it almost put me off but Blink are one of the better punk rock bands going round so it never got bad. Song you choose though demonstrates how epic this album really can be, good pick.

jErle
Something id love to listen to a bit more. The title track is really really good. But i thought they were a Ska band. Song you choose first was pretty good too, i love the brass blending with the percussion.

Leestu
R.E.M was on my list, so i you know what i think, great choice! Could this be the second most popular album of the countdown?

Six
Joy Division, a bad i thought i would dislike upon seeing it here, but six you may have actually turned the tables, i didnt mind that song, but i can see how its a downer to many people. Glad i wore my headphones so i could hear all the sounds. And if its an influence on Radiohead, i should delve deeper

SS
So far its a really interesting mixture of music, and this is nice addition. I have a friend who dived into album and raved about it for weeks. Something ill have to own myself one day, and take the dive myself. Nice song you choose, he was such a talent wasn't he?

Tranny
Well what can i say about this album? Its groundbreaking, hugely popular, timeless, just bloody awesome!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: I think it must be the nostalgia that stops me from disliking these guys. Or maybe the music is actually good. Who knows?

Geez: You are a nostalgic young man.

John E: I was expecting more from you. You honestly think it's that good?

Leetsu: I kinda figured this might turn up on your list. It's a solid album, though I can't help but feel REM have better.

SS: A great record. A strong balance between hard and soft, dark and light. What a waste.

Tranny: No real surprise here, but it's a pretty decent classic album.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.7

Wow, what a great round, with no pick I dislike and four crossovers with my own 100!

englishozzy: Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction" - I admit, while I've probably lost a little appreciation for this record over the years, I was obsessed with the band during the late 80s and early 90s, buying T-shirts and posters of them. And as you say, certainly one of the great debut records, there's just so much punch to it.

Geezer: Blink-182, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket " - I swing back and forth whether I prefer this or Enema. I probably would go for this, as overall I think there are more songs here I enjoy, though Adam's Song is probably my favourite of the band. Short, sharp and highly enjoyable, I used to dance around to many of these songs at my local rock club, you've renewed my interest in listening to this album again, it's been a while. Really enjoy Story Of A Lonely Guy and Anthem Pt.2 Thanks!

JohnErle: The Clash, "London Calling" - Completely agree, while their debut was very much in the vein of punk, they became so, so much more than that. And this is their pinnacle. Fantastic record.

Leestu: R.E.M, “Automatic for the People” - This record just continues to pop up, and it's completely understandable why, I love it just as much. Not my favourite tracks from the record, though by no means weak, perhaps we've just exhausted most of the rest of the album!

numbersix: Joy Division, “Unknown Pleasures” - It's shocking how many bands have been influenced by Joy Division, and how many have covered them even. I am particularly fond of Therapy?'s cover of Isolation, but the Girls Against Boys' She's Lost Control is also very good. Did you catch Peter Hook performing the record? I was so let down, ruined the myth I had built up surrounding the record to see him strut around, hardly playing his bass but providing some awful vocals that do Curtis no justice at all. Best just to listen to this record instead.

Ron Burgundy: Air, "Moon Safari" - Great record, captures all that is fantastic about Air. I don't do much electro, but Air transcend their genre with such beautiful music. Could listen to this endlessly.

transformers: Nirvana, "Nevermind" - Another record to make my own list, and listening to Come As You Are again reminds me of my already mentioned rock club nights. They were some of my favourite times ever. I met Helena there, and my Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights I pretty much camped out there dancing away. A shame you kind of get too old for that, I went back a few years ago and felt so old seeing 18 year olds dancing around while I was 27... Still, Nirvana were a staple of those nights, they were the most played act of the 1st floor of three (the floors were split up into heavy rock, indie and punk, and classic pop - such a great venue), and Nevermind was always a dance floor filler.

Really enjoyed this round, probably my favourite of the countdown, so cheers guys!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I certainly didn't expect Moon Safari to be in anyone's Top 10. It was round full of safe, obvious picks, including my own, so I'll say Moon Safari is my favourite pick from this round for the surprise factor alone.

REM was a candidate for my list but I'm surprised by how many times it's appeared. I didn't realize it was considered essential listening for the under 30 crowd.

Gotta say I've always kinda hated Jeff Buckley, though. His voice is like Fran Drescher's nails on a chalkboard.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Album No.7

Leestu: R.E.M, “Automatic for the People” - This record just continues to pop up, and it's completely understandable why, I love it just as much. Not my favourite tracks from the record, though by no means weak, perhaps we've just exhausted most of the rest of the album!
I only had 5 tracks left to chose from that hadn't already been showcased!!For the record I would have chosen (in this order) Drive, The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, and Nightswimming. Everybody Hurts is my favourite but due the familiarity everybody should already have I wouldn't have picked it.
numbersix wrote:
Leetsu: Why the hell don't I have this album? Being the follow-up to Daydream Nation should alone be worth buying it for. I recently bought Bad Moon Rising, which is a bit rambling but has some great moments.
Bad Moon Rising has some interesting sounds and showed the potential that they successfully fulfilled but ultimately it's a bit too experimental for me to listen to for enjoyments sake, rather just as a curiosity....HOWEVER Death Valley '69 is an awesome song that I rate as one of their best.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
numbersix: Joy Division, “Unknown Pleasures” - It's shocking how many bands have been influenced by Joy Division, and how many have covered them even. I am particularly fond of Therapy?'s cover of Isolation, but the Girls Against Boys' She's Lost Control is also very good. Did you catch Peter Hook performing the record? I was so let down, ruined the myth I had built up surrounding the record to see him strut around, hardly playing his bass but providing some awful vocals that do Curtis no justice at all. Best just to listen to this record instead.
I remember Therapy's cover alright, it was was good. But for every good JD cover there's a million awful ones. Even NiN's cover of Dark Souls and Swans take on Love Will Tear Us Apart do nothing for me. And no, I decided not to attend the Hooky gig when he played here. As cool as it would be to hear the songs, having only 1 member of the original line-up felt like a bit of a cash-in, particularly when it is part of an ongoing feud with Sumner and Morris. I did get to see New Order play last summer, and they played Love... so that was something.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.6

englishozzy
Muse, "Absolution"
, 2003

I really liked the direction this band was taking when this album came out and unfortunately the route the ended up taking I haven't been a huge fan of. There are so many excellent songs to choose from on this album and I would love to just play the whole thing but hear are two that I really love.

"Hysteria"

"Apocalypse Please"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrl01aPPkA

Geezer

JohnErle
Led Zeppelin, "Physical Graffiti"
, 1975

How does one choose their favourite Led Zeppelin album? For me, the decision is fairly easy. Recorded at the peak of their powers, Physical Graffiti is a double album, which means twice as much brilliance. Kashmir is the one everybody already knows, but that only begins to scratch the surface.

"Trampled Underfoot"

"Black Country Woman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_kcqCIBQ8
"Bron-Yr-Aur"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi76yMCXxtQ

Leestu
Pixies, “Doolittle”
, 1989

It was tough leaving this absolute classic album out of the top 5 but I just couldn’t squeeze any other out.

“Tame”

“La La Love You”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnx3lzPIZ6U
“No. 13 Baby”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTYVvFE6b4

NSpan

numbersix
The Stooges, “Funhouse”
, 1970

Raw Power may be his most celebrated record, but for me this is Iggy's finest moment. Like Rid of Me and In Utero, I often am most intrigued by an act's most intense approach. Funhouse sounds like it was recorded in a drug-fuelled haze. But not during the highs. No, this record screams of depravity, of desperation, of withdrawal and all the tearing and wailing that comes with it. It descends (or ascends, depending on your appreciation of it) into a mess of feedback and sax in the latter moments, not so much concluding but blowing out.

I also love albums that aren't afraid to deviate from their main thrust, so to speak. This is a ballsy rock record with awesome riffs, but the record is made glorious by Dirt. Here, the beat slows to an introspective dirge, Iggy's lyrics as less about outwardly destructive tendencies and more about inwardly ones. It almost makes the album, giving it an edge to an already edge and immense record.

"Down on the Street"

"Dirt"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYXV2RrwIs

Ron Burgundy
2Pac, "All Eyez On Me"
, 1996

A huge influence on my growing up taste, 2pac was one of the finest rappers ever, and his lyrics are probably unrivaled. Ill admit there are some low points to this album, some say its just filler, but the high points are so good that it tops the scales so much they break. Why its so high on my list is because there is rarely a time i would not like to listen to this. Another lost talent.

"I Ain't Mad At Cha"

"Heartz of Men"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9yvxmg7ik
"2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqjHA5OtDls

silversurfer
Smashing Pumpkins, "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness"
, 1995

How to follow up a record like Siamese Dream? A concept double record two hours long? Well, that'll certainly test your new found fans! Utilising a 'Day/Night' theme for each disc, this is a hugely pretentious record, full of huge riffs, lush ballads and instrumentals. And would we expect, or want, anything else from the Pumpkins? It's like Christmas comes two days in a row. Where as many double albums throw the best music on the first disc, and so you'd experience 60 minutes of the greatest rock music you've ever heard, it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect anything but a let down on a second disc full of acoustic music. But this record just NEVER GIVES UP. Non stop awesomeness over the course of 28 tracks, you'll find yourself drumming along to the relentless aggression and energy, swirling your air guitar over your head, and then sitting back, under the moonlight, as you recompose yourself for more and more of this pummeling of your brain. The Pumpkins know when to attack, and they know when to hold restraint, and within this monster of a record they get it spot on every time.

I was expecting a lot after Siamese Dream, but how could anything top that now infamous record? Mellon Collie is a completely different beast, but was an equal adversary to it. I was stunned on my first listen, I'm still stunned today, almost 20 years later. It was the perfect record for a Gen-X like myself, capturing the trapped and pessimistic feelings of youth, pierced by moments that point to an optimistic future. From the classics "Tonight Tonight", "Zero", "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and the softer "1979" and "Thirty-Three" through to the epic "Porcelina" and "Thru The Eyes Of Ruby" and colossal "An Ode To No One" and "Bodies", there's not a moment that I was not in awe of it's eclectic style. I mean, how many times can you listen to a 9 minute plus track and still feel every single second is essential? As I say, this is Billy Corgan at his most pretentious and ambitious, but when you make a record this good, there is absolutely nothing wrong, and indeed everything right, about this pretension.

"Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans"

"Fuck You (An Ode To No One)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Zb03iMRAs
"Galapagos"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0iXsdchhW8

transformers
Between the Buried and Me, "Colors"
, 2007

"White Walls"

"Prequel to the Sequel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5xKJFl7NE

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Against Me! "Americans Abroad!!! Against Me!!! Live in London!!!," 2006

1.A Brief Yet Triumphant Introduction – 4 stars
2.From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer) – 5 stars
3.Rice and Bread – 4 stars
4.Reinventing Axl Rose – 5 stars
5.American's Abroad – 4 stars
6.Those Anarcho Punks Are So Mysterious – 5 stars
7.Miami – 5 stars
8.Don't Lose Touch – 5 stars
9.Unprotected Sex With Multiple Partners – 4 stars
10.Sink Florida Sink – 5 stars
11.You Look Like I Could Use A Drink – 4 stars
12.Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Angry Balled Fists – 3 stars
13.T.S.R. - 5 stars
14.Problems – 5 stars
15.Pints of Guiness Make You Strong – 5 stars
16.Cliché Guevara – 5 stars
17.We Laugh At Danger (And Break All The Rules) – 5 stars

So here's the thing: this album is not on youtube. I can't find any tracks from it, which is highly unfortunate. This album is THE REASON I fell in love with this band (well, on top of actually seeing them perform live). Their show is perfectly encapsulated in this album and really brings you right there. The song selection is damn near perfect. It's the next best thing to being there as far as I'm concerned. This is better than any of their studio albums, and was my true introduction to Against Me!. I've been telling you all along that this band is better live, and this album proves it. So here's what I'm going to do. I'll post a couple youtube videos of them performing some of the songs live (the better quality ones I can find), and I'll also provide you with a link of a site that allows you to stream any song you want from the album (just hope it works in all the different countries...) Hope you enjoy and listen to the whole thing!

Link: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/America ... on/3477581

"Reinventing Axl Rose + Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious"

"We Laugh At Danger and Break All The Rules"

"Cliche Guevara"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.6

englishozzy: Muse, "Absolution" - I like this album, though don't find myself listening to it much anymore. Think I would rather go for Origin Of Symmetry or Black Holes before I picked this up. Nevertheless, some great tracks on the record as it forms a kind of hybrid of those two albums, part electro part operatic space rock. Favourites would be Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Falling Away With You and Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest. Quite an apocalyptic record actually, lots of death and destruction on offer, and while the lyrics are sometimes a little cheesy and it goes a little too Queen at times, it's an enjoyable record.

Geezer: Against Me! "Americans Abroad!!! Against Me!!! Live in London!!! - I could stream it fine, so I just played the entire thing as I was doing some stuff. And I guess live it is a little more euphoric and intense. Even starting to let Reinventing Axl Rose grow on me, it works much more in this environment, while I liked Don't Lose Touch and Cliche Guevara. Funny how some bands work so much better live than in a studio.

JohnErle: Led Zeppelin, "Physical Graffiti" - Was the last Led Zeppelin record I got my hands on, and with time I'm sure it'll become a major favourite for me, Such a majestic record and a real step up from Houses Of The Holy.

Leestu: Pixies, “Doolittle” - Fantastic pick, great song selections.

numbersix: The Stooges, “Funhouse” - Still warming up to this record. Much prefer Raw Power, and even their debut for me is better, I mean how can you beat an opening combo of 1969 and I Wanna Be Your Dog. Still I do like some of the songs on here, particularly Dirt. It's a very sleazy record, and for me doesn't work individually, it NEEDS to be listened to as a whole (I think I read somewhere this was the closest the band could come to recording a live record.) At times it's glorious, while at others it sounds like a complete mess (perhaps the drug infused meltdown...). It's an interesting record, but not one I'm completely sold on yet.

Ron Burgundy: 2Pac, "All Eyez On Me" - Sorry buddy. Not for me. Don't like the rapping, don't like the softer moments, and the jazz beat isn't interesting.

transformers: Between the Buried and Me, "Colors" - I bought this record on the back of the track you listed in your top 100 songs. And I hated it. I think I've only listened to it twice, and I struggle to find the incentive to listen to it again. I've given these tracks another go, and I was at first surprised to see a song longer than my own pick this round! However, it's just that same old story, the musicianship is at times interesting, but the vocals. Man I can't take it. I can comprehend and at times love angry music, angry lyrics, but when it's just angry singing, where you can't make out a single word, it's just unlistenable.