Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Post by silversurfer19 »

Top 20! And a new participant!

Album No.20

englishozzy
Weezer, "Weezer (The Blue Album)"
, 1994

Weezer made a huge impact for me when their debut album was released, it was one of the first albums I really remember owning. I was 7 at the time and Undone was being played somewhere (not sure where) and apparently I just got up and started dancing in the lounge room. Needless to say this album his here via sentimental value more than anything but then again most of my Top 20 are.

"Undone - The Sweater Song"

"Say It Ain't So"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

Geezer
Jimmy Eat World, "Bleed American"
, 2001

This album changed my life. Just as I entered high school, Jimmy Eat World released Bleed American, and it basically revolutionized everything I listed to for at least the next 5 years.

"Hear You Me"

"A Praise Chorus"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvha7NallFk

JohnErle
Ashley MacIsaac, "Hi, How Are You Today?"
, 1996

Ashley MacIsaac was a Cape Breton fiddle prodigy "discovered" by Philip Glass. After an album of traditional fiddle tunes, MacIsaac became the focal point for this album which brought in a wide variety of talented Canadian artists, each with their own influences. This means you have traditional fiddle tunes, piano ballads, a spoon player, ethereal Gaelic vocals, and more modern influences, all brought together into a somehow cohesive whole.

"The Devil In The Kitchen"

"Brenda Stubbert"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYYPpnKhlbY
And since an album with this much variety needs at least three songs to give you some idea...
"MacDougall's Pride"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBCoukhtQE

Leestu
Nirvana, “MTV Unplugged in New York”
, 1994

“Plateau”

“Where Did You Sleep Last Night”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
The Pixies, “Surfer Rosa”
, 1988

While Doolittle is the more popular album with fans and critics alike, this album is more for me. There’s a rawness to the overall sound, thanks to Steve Albini’s stripped-down anti-vocal production sensibilities. The whole record sounds like it was blurted out with as much intensity as these newcomers could muster up. Just listen to the thumping rhythm of the first song, Bone Machine. It’s far from mature in sound, lyrics, but damn there’s magic in the music.

That rawness is complemented with a great sense of melody. This isn’t abrasive noise (though these guys did have a knack for turning rock music on its side, reversing chorus and versus, playing occasionally off rhythms), this is a band playing great melodies as hard as they can. And at times they pull back and let the pop flow, particularly in River Euphrates and the huge singles Where is My Mind and Gigantic.

"River Euphrates"

"Break My Body"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CF9NOgv1us

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, "The Bends"
, 1995

"Just"

"Street Spirit"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cbmHGnzP4

silversurfer
Iggy And The Stooges, "Raw Power"
, 1973

The Stooges for me are the quintessential punk band, with one of the most iconic frontmen to boot. This has long been my favourite record, though I have quickly been falling in love with their debut, and the punk energy of the band's style really comes to a fore on this their third and final release (at least from their first era, a new record is due this year). Though the history of the mixing of this album has long been cause for debate, where Bowie was basically handed a substandard recording which prevented him from doing much with the bass, and then Iggy Pop himself reworked it during the 90s, essentially knocking everything up to 11 and destroying the mix, I believe we finally have the best showcase of this sublime record in the form of Bowie's 2010 remastered mix that was finally released last year on vinyl to coincide with Record Store Day. I picked that up and it sounds amazing, probably as close to the perfect sound for that record as possible. The tinniness of the original mix is gone, the bass is audible and the volume has been toned down a little, allowing the record to sound clear and succinct, yet still just as angry and aggressive as Iggy intended.

From the opening bars of Search And Destroy's assault of the senses, you get a real feel for the vitriol boiling over in the US at the time, the band channel these feelings so intensely and what we are left with are some of the most aggressively passionate songs ever recorded. However, that isn't to say the record is all fall as hard. Indeed there are slower, most interesting moments also, such as I Need Somebody and Penetration, which though slow pack just as much a punch, while the likes of Shake Appeal harness another element to the band. This is a vital record for any fans of the punk genre, and one that continues to astonish each generation with each listen.

"Gimme Danger"

"I Need Somebody"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqc46Yu6ooA

transformers
Slayer, "Reign in Blood"
, 1986

"Raining Blood"

"Angel of Death"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_zsJ8KPP0
Last edited by silversurfer19 on March 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#1

Post by Geezer »

Ozzy - I'm sure its not spoiling anything for anybody if I say that this is a fantastic pick.

JohnErle - I dug it for what it was, but I think I would have preferred some vocals to go with it.

Leestu - Iconic, perfect performance from the greatest band ever. This is one of those truly essential albums. And holy fucking shit do they kill it on Where Did You Sleep Last Night. If you didn't expect this from me, you haven't really been paying attention ;)

Numbersix - We have different definitions of the term "abrasive noise," because that's exactly what I'd call this.

Ron - Ugh, Radiohead.

Surfer - Good stuff. Never been my favorite, but I can appreciate the impact of the Stooges for sure.

Tranny - Can't say I'm a big Slayer fan, but the guitar work in Raining Blood is fantastic, and deserving of all the praise it gets.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Geezer: The album is mostly instrumental, but Ashley does sing on a couple of tracks, and there's Gaelic vocals on a couple of others but you wouldn't be able to understand them anyway.

"Sleepy Maggie" was actually the biggest hit single from this album, but I didn't think it would be very popular around here, plus it creates a lot of confusion when people assume the female singer is Ashley. And you can probably find "What An Idiot He Is" or "KIll Your Foes" on YouTube if you want to hear his voice.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Good to see this make a return. And a good Round #20. And a bad NSpan.

Ozzy: On my To Get list. Think it's the best of the Weezer albums I've heard tracks from. I'm sure it'll turn up a few more times before the countdown is out.

Geez: Guess you had to be there, eh? I'm genuinely surprised that you didn't like my Pixies songs. I would have thought you'd like those guys considering, along with the Wipers, that they're the major influence on Nirvana.

John E: Welcome, and look how easily you fit in, replacing another John! Never heard of Ashley MacIsaac before, but it goes to show how unoriginal (and inferior) all those [insert country]'s Got Talent contestants who try to modernise fiddle playing (not to mention acts like Bond). I did like the approach, especially on the two louder tracks, though I kinda felt the musicians around Ashley does the music a disservice. Some of it sounds a bit dated to me. Do you like Dirty 3, the Australian instrumentalists consisting of violin, guitar, and drums?

Leetsu: A great record, and one that not only demonstrated the strength of some of Nirvana's tunes, but also showed the respect Cobain had for his influences.

Ron B: A contender for my top 100, but I just wasn't into it when compiling. But a great record nonetheless.

SS: So now I know the history of that record's sound. And considering I probably have Bowie's original mix, I should really look into hearing Iggy's as well as Bowie's remaster. Another record that just missed out.

Tranny: A few weeks ago a friend of mine tried to convince me to listen to this, claiming that it was a natural progression from punk. I gave the first few songs a whirl but its aggression was too much for me. I did appreciate the music on some level, but only at a distance.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I know that I'm supposed to like the Pixies, but I just don't get about 90% of everything I've heard from that. The other 10% is great, but there's a lot of sifting through the junk that just doesn't appeal to me.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ozzy
Very good album, and the first song relates to me in more ways than you know (my name really is Jonas). Nice pick/ 7.5/10

Geezer
Ugh Jimmy Eat World. Actually listened in on them just before i saw Alice in Chains live. And i can only remember THAT song, it just takes some time, and a little, blah blah blah generic rock etc. But the song aint bad to play on guitar hero. 4.5/10

Leestu
Greeeeat album, which features one of my favourite songs of all time, the Bowie cover song; the man who....good solid pick, and a surprise to see a live album up so high on any list. 8/10

Six
Ever since i asked SS which pixies album to listen to next (which was Surfer Rosa) i havent done a thing about it. About time.

JohnErle
Ill give it a spin tomorrow

SS
Iggy has some top songs. I like Nightclubbing and Chairman of the Board but this means i need to explore him more, ill stream this asap. Search And Destroy is the only song i know, and its good.

Tranny
Slayer is loud stuff, must be in the right mood, sometimes i like it. Raining Bloods a good track though. 6/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

John I liked Sleepy Maggie the most out of those songs. The others kept me interested but I really got into this one. I'm going to listen to it again now.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

I agree, this album got played so many times in my disc-man that it died quite spectacularly. A great album. 10/10

Ashley MacIsaac - Ashley MacIsaac

I must admit after reading your introduction it wasn't looking very appealing but the two songs I listened to were quite catchy. 5/10

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York

I get the influence that Nirvana had on music and if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have Dave Grohl :) but I really can't get into this band as much as I try. 5/10

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Don't normally listen to these guys, the songs were OK but won't make me pick up any of their albums any time soon. 5/10

Radiohead - The Bends

It's amazing how this band splits opinions between us on the forum, I really enjoy Radiohead and this album made my own list at #50 which shows you my opinion of it. 10/10

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

These guys are actually headlining a Blues & Roots concert here locally in the next couple of weeks, them alone would have been a good enough reason to go. I actually prefer the Legacy Edition but it is still easily their best album. 8/10

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Raining Blood is definitely Slayer's more commercially successful album with Raining Blood probably be one of their best songs. I actually caught these guys at Soundwave Festival last week and they were awesome as always. Not my personal favourite albums but still a really good one. 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Really great round, lots to enjoy here!

englishozzy: Weezer, "Weezer (The Blue Album)" - There is just that undeniable ability on this record that makes you want to dance, whether your seven or thirty, or maybe even seventy! A delightfully fun album, with emotional lyrics and strong instrumentation. In fact, I don't think sentiment should be the sole reason this is in your top 20, it's just a damn fine record!

Geezer: Jimmy Eat World, "Bleed American" - I knew this would be here somewhere! An album I was at first skeptical about. It didn't have the same emotional impact as Clarity and I thought it was just the band hitting the mainstream, but after a few listens i fell in love with the record. It's so damn catchy! The faster paced, rockier songs are equally balanced out with the softer songs like you featured. Personal favourites have to be Get It Faster, Bleed American, A Praise Chorus and My Sundown. Lots to enjoy here, though.

JohnErle: Ashley MacIsaac, "Ashley MacIsaac" - First off, welcome to the countdown! Secondly, I have to admit I have never heard of this artist. Thirdly, I thought it was a girl too! And fourthly, this was NOT that fiddle playing I was expecting from your introduction. Other than The Dirty Three and a little of Arcade Fire's use of it, I'm generally accustomed to the like of Vanessa Mae etc, as well as more traditional applications. There's a real energy to this first song which I don't think you generally hear from this instrument, and while it certainly had that Gaelic influence, it was still very cool. Second song not quite so much, felt a little too traditional, though the third was ok, certainly listenable and you can see how someone may have an emotional response to it (though I wasn't sure about the shift mid-way through). I don't know, while I admit there is certainly variety in each of these songs, ultimately I don't think I could sit through a whole record of this. One song every so often is fine though, as there are certainly some interesting ideas there.

Leestu: Nirvana, “MTV Unplugged in New York” - Helena bought this for me on vinyl for my birthday last year, and I have to say this is one of THE BEST modern records to listen to on vinyl. It captures Nirvana at their very best, while making their songs perhaps more accessible to a larger audience. I love what they did with both the Meat Puppets songs and the Bowie one, while their own tracks find a new sound and some become even more appealing that previously. Great album.

numbersix: The Pixies, “Surfer Rosa” - I don't want to spoil what's to come, but while I do agree Albini's production does give a harsher, more visceral experience than Gil Norton does on Doolittle, but for me overall, the songs on Doolittle are just a little better. Though my opinion does change day to day, as both are sublime records. I have a question for Geez, however. Do you not like the Pixies because of the vocals. Take them out of the mix and would you find them more appealing? Just that I think their sound is very similar to much of the music you love, and I guess maybe the harsh vocals just put you off a little?

Ron Burgundy: Radiohead, "The Bends" - Another classic album. Hit after hit after hit.

silversurfer: Iggy And The Stooges, "Raw Power" - Glad to see this one generally so well received. What do you like particularly about the Legacy Edition though, ozzy? I know it's a case of 'tomayto/tomarto' for many people, but I just find the recording is destroyed by Iggy's insistence of cranking everything up so loud. I think I read somewhere it's actually the loudest ever recording! The distinct elements of Bowie's mix are completely lost in the noise, especially so on James Williamson's guitar work. It just becomes all about Iggy's yelps.

And sorry six, for inflicting the same spiel regarding the mixing of the record twice within a couple of days! I'd written this piece up just prior to leaving for London so the record was on my mind quite a bit!

transformers: Slayer, "Reign in Blood" - Man, that was heavy! Some cool guitar work in there, though I doubt I could listen to much more than the two songs I did hear. My ears couldn't take it!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Leestu wrote:John I liked Sleepy Maggie the most out of those songs. The others kept me interested but I really got into this one. I'm going to listen to it again now.
I'm glad someone enjoyed that. Glancing back over the recaps for the past few threads, I'd say our tastes sync up more often than not, even though I don't share your love of Pink Floyd. Maybe I don't always have to post the hardest rocking tracks from each album.

Six: I probably heard the name Dirty Three associated with Nick Cave at some point, but I never really paid them any attention. I just YouTubed a few tracks and heard definite similarities with some of the weirder tracks on "Hi, How Are You Today?" like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yDN-mQm ... 67187C4A38

Surfer: Yes, you mislabelled the album, which is called "Hi, How Are You Today?" but I can let that slide. And his follow-up album, which was purely traditional, was called "Fine, Thank You Very Much." Also, I never heard of Vanessa Mae, but I would totally hatefuck that chick from the Corrs.

Favourite pick from this round that wasn't mine: The Pixies. Never listened to the full album, but you can't fault Where Is My Mind? & Gigantic.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

silversurfer19 wrote: silversurfer: Iggy And The Stooges, "Raw Power" - Glad to see this one generally so well received. What do you like particularly about the Legacy Edition though, ozzy? I know it's a case of 'tomayto/tomarto' for many people, but I just find the recording is destroyed by Iggy's insistence of cranking everything up so loud. I think I read somewhere it's actually the loudest ever recording! The distinct elements of Bowie's mix are completely lost in the noise, especially so on James Williamson's guitar work. It just becomes all about Iggy's yelps.
Maybe it's because I like to listen to my music LOUD!! :) I also really enjoy the second disc with the live recordings as well.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Surfer - Yes, the vocals are a big factor. The music is decent but I just get taken out of most of their tracks. When they make more accessible music, I tend to like it, and I will admit that I haven't delved too far into the catalog because other than "Where Is My Mind" nothing that I have heard has been really fantastic enough for me to pick up an entire album.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
Six: I probably heard the name Dirty Three associated with Nick Cave at some point, but I never really paid them any attention. I just YouTubed a few tracks and heard definite similarities with some of the weirder tracks on "Hi, How Are You Today?" like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yDN-mQm ... 67187C4A38
Yes, I really liked that song. Don't you hate having to represent varied albums in only two choices? Here's he best intro song to Dirty 3, just in case you have yet too come across it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLulYTwO1k
JohnErle wrote: Also, I never heard of Vanessa Mae, but I would totally hatefuck that chick from the Corrs.
That made me squirt my lunch milk out of my nose.
JohnErle wrote:Favourite pick from this round that wasn't mine: The Pixies. Never listened to the full album, but you can't fault Where Is My Mind? & Gigantic.
Yeah, I avoided the obvious singles as I figured most of us would know them (especially as the first features in Fight Club). That's what I like about Surfer Rosa. It's raw but there are some great pop moments too.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hey, no one is really limiting you to two choices. Hell, for my next one, I sent four.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, but 4 songs feels excessive and presumptuous, especially if you're not into the first song. Of course, we don't have to listen to all the songs, but I think 2 is the happy balance for all. Maybe for the Top 5 I might choose 3 songs, depending on their length.