Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#1

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Album No.14

Leestu: The Pogues, “Rum, Sodomy & the Lash” - I really want to find something I really love in this band, Leestu, after all, I've loved so much of what you've already presented and desire to discover what it is that makes The Pogues so special for you. And while the first song certainly was a little more intriguing than what I've heard before, that Celtic sound is still clamouring all over the song and distracting me from the lyrics. Second song sounded like some sort of sea shanty with lots of grog flowing a sad crooner at the piano. The epitomy of this type of music for me and totally didn't appeal.
Well for a start I don't dislike the Celtic sound, and for those that do there's a stumbling block to appreciating the band right there, but moving past that The Pogues added a dash of punk ethos (always seems to be in a totally inebriated state and doesn't seem to give a fuck about appearance or perfection - but obviously loves what he does) to a traditional sound to create something I found exciting and unique at the time.
Secondly it's the extremes of passion it evokes in me, especially from this album but also "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" to a lesser extent. When I listen to songs like "The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn", "The Wild Cats of Kilkenny", and "Billy's Bones" for example I can't help but get a natural feel good excited high. They have such a postive upbeat vibe to them. But to the other extreme I can't listen to "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" properly without it nearly, or actually, bringing me to tears. The passion I hear in Shane's singing combined with some great lyrical storytelling in "A Pair of Brown Eyes" and "The Old Main Drag" really makes me feel for the subjects in the song. For example in "The Old Main Drag" it may just be a drunk crooner to you but to me it's a heart wrenching bitter tale of arriving in a new country full of hope but ending up a homeless beggar with no hope. By the time I get to the last verse I am moved by the morose hopelessness of it all.
"And now I'm lying here I've had too much booze
I've been shat on and spat on and raped and abused
I know that I am dying and I wish I could beg
For some money to take me from the old main drag"

Lastly I love me a good rousing singalong and with songs like "The Gentleman Soldier", "Sally MacLennane", and "Jesse James" thats exactly what you get.

I am never surprised when people say they don't like The Pogues. In fact over the years when discussing them with others I have probably often stated something along the lines of "there one of my favourite bands but you probably won't like them" and I've usually been proven right :lol:

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Love Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash, by which I mean I love the album of that name by the Pogues. It made my list without a doubt. The Gorillaz were also a definite contender for my list.

I always enjoyed those early Offspring singles, but never dug any deeper. Same with early REM, but what I've heard from that album doesn't grab me as much as some of the other albums, except for Fall On Me which is a lovely ballad that would feel right at home on a Crowded House album. ;-)

Nirvana Live - Like it, but haven't listened to it in ages. It proves that Nirvana could have had a long, varied career if Cobain had lived.

No Surprises is a great song, and that's the only good thing I have to say about OK Computer.

And as for Surfer's claim that Soundgarden was part of grunge's "second wave", I beg to differ. Soundgarden were one of the first grunge bands and were around long before Pearl Jam or Nirvana. They were also the first grunge band to get singed to a major label. Nirvana may have been the first to achieve mainstream popularity, but Soundgarden were clearly one of the founders of the grunge movement, not a follower.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote:And as for Surfer's claim that Soundgarden was part of grunge's "second wave", I beg to differ. Soundgarden were one of the first grunge bands and were around long before Pearl Jam or Nirvana. They were also the first grunge band to get singed to a major label. Nirvana may have been the first to achieve mainstream popularity, but Soundgarden were clearly one of the founders of the grunge movement, not a follower.
I stand corrected. I honestly don't know much of the band, I own Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, but beyond that, my knowledge of the band is limited. I just assumed they arrived in the waves of bands following Nevermind.

And Leestu, due to it's style, I never really investigated The Pogues lyrics, if the music puts me off I generally switch off to a degree, but reading those lyrics and re-listening to the first song, I can certainly see the appeal. As I said, the first song was decent, and it's growing on me with each listen, yet I'm still to overcome my distain for Celtic music.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.13

englishozzy
Bob Dylan, "Highway 61 Revisited"
, 1965

I have explained earlier in the countdown how I came across Bob Dylan as he is completely different to what I normally listen to. This is my favourite album of his.

"Tombstone Blues"

"Desolation Row"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxc7IukDk38

Geezer
The Gaslight Anthem, "Sink or Swim"
, 2007

1.Boomboxes and Dictionaries – 4 stars
2.I Coul'da Been a Contender – 4 stars
3.Wooderson – 5 stars
4.We Came To Dance – 5 stars
5.1930 – 5 stars
6.The Navesink Banks – 5 stars
7.Red In the Morning – 4 stars
8.I'da Called You Woody, Joe – 5 stars
9.Angry Johnny and the Radio – 4 stars
10.Drive – 5 stars
11.We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner – 4 stars
12.Red At Night – 5 stars

Well, I doubt the consensus on the band will be much different than it was two picks ago, but I feel that their debut effort is still their best (though I love everything they have released, their latest album would crack the list if I re-did it). I know they are derivative of the Boss, I just think they do it better, write better lyrics, and I'm more in love with Brian Fallon's voice. And I'm officially going to see them in June and I couldn't be more excited about it!!! I'll try and throw in a little variety, just for SIx.

"We Came to Dance"

"The Navesink Banks"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQ5Ogw6ggk
"I'da Called You Woody Joe"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWzOElhs0w

JohnErle
The Smithereens, "Especially For You"
, 1986

The Smithereens are probably my second favourite band of all-time. Led Zeppelin will have more albums in my top 20 because the Smithereens albums usually have more filler, and I would never argue that The Smithereens were better than Led Zeppelin, but the Smithereens' best songs spoke to me on an emotional level in a way Led Zeppelin never did. Maybe it's because poor Pat Dinizio is one of the ugliest men in the history of popular music, so when he writes sad songs about unrequited love they seem to be coming from a real place, but when Robert Plant, Chris Isaak or Paul McCartney write sad songs it feels like an exercise in style. Pat Dinizio wrote songs to make young girls swoon, but no girl even swooned over a guy who looked like Pat Dinizio, and that dichotomy fascinates me.

"Behind The Wall Of Sleep"

"Blood & Roses"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqML7WbOun8
"Strangers When We Meet"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wxubRFpVU

Leestu
Jane’s Addiction, “Ritual de lo habitual”
, 1990

“Classic Girl”

“Of Course”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61bUx8F7eU

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Nirvana, “In Utero”
, 1994

Definitely the oldest album in my Top 100 from an autobiographical perspective. I bought this album on cassette having recently fallen in love with Smells Like Teen Spirit. It’s a testament to quality that despite 700 albums later, it still remains one of my favourites. Like Surfer Rosa, it’s the rawness in the production (this is the third album produced by Steve Albini to make my Top 20) that gives it an edge. Or a bitter taste. Unlike Surfer Rosa, which was a young band finding themselves, this was Kurt and co's attempt to turn away from being a stadium rock band and to, arguably, make the kind of music they always wanted to. You can hear echoes of proto punk and early hardcore in this record. It rarely reaches the speed of either, and looking back now there’s an element of post-punk in some of the more offbeat moments.

This could be a revisionist take on the record, but in terms of writing it feels like their most honest album. It’s certainly their most intense. Milk It makes a damn good attempt at take you into the world of addiction and its inevitable comedown, and may be the best song they ever recorded. Heart Shaped Box displays a new maturity and sense of restraint. Their softer moments are moving, despite the implied smirk in Cobain’s delivery. Most intense? Rawest? Yes, this is Nirvana’s crowning glory.

"Milk It"

"Very Ape"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDfVsu1WcI

Ron Burgundy
Silverchair, "Frogstomp"
, 1995

The band members were just 15 when they released this post Nirvana alt rock, grundge album. It still packs a punch today. Though clearly influenced by Nirvana and others of that time, they manage to make their own sound. Daniel Johns the lead singer battled through Cancer at an early age in his 2os but beat it, its a pity but im told through a friend of mine he is a dickhead in person.

"Tomorrow"

"Pure Massacre"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSTIePQri0

silversurfer
Manic Street Preachers, "Everything Must Go"
, 1996

Ripped of one half of their songwriting duo, and their most creative force behind The Holy Bible, following Richey Edwards' disappearance, I, along with many Manics fans, thought it was quite possibly the end for my favourite band. On the eve of their first major tour of America, Richey disappeared from his hotel in London traveled back towards his home in Cardiff, and dumped his car on the way next to the River Severn. Some believed it was a suicide. He had made attempts at his life previously, and his history of depression and cutting himself, not to mention his troubled times in the band trying to find his role due to his novice experience with a guitar and stress over the tour, it made for easy headlines. I hoped in vain this was not the case. I read every line of his final interview, deciphering positive moments in his words that could only mean he had no intentions to end his life. I know it was probably rather a little too hopeful, but this guy was meant so much to me. The thought of hearing neither him, nor the Manics again was a difficult thing to bear. I can only imagine how hard it was for his best friends.

Needless to say, the band did stay together, and in the hope of hopefully drawing him out, released their fourth record, Everything Must Go. It contained some of Richey's last lyrics, including one of my all time favourites, "Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky", and proved, that like New Order and Foo Fighters before them, a new band could emerge from the ashes of another. The Manics kept their name, but their music certainly took on a new guise. There's a sort of melancholic positivism, or battle scarred optimism to this record. The music is bigger than ever before, anthemic even. Perhaps it was an effort to distance themselves from the pain of The Holy Bible. Not to say the record doesn't have it's dark moments, but even those are penetrated by shards of light. It's the sound of a band happy to be alive, happy to have survived.

I won't deny my favourite tracks are still those penned by Richey. "Elvis Impersonator", "Kevin Carter", "Small Black Flowers", "Removables". They are so obviously Richey songs, but with the new sound it transforms his lyrics from the soul scraping depravity of what came before into something bigger and brighter, though still complementary. And while at first I was very cautious with the album, ultimately I just could not deny the brilliance of it. Musically and lyrically, this was the album of a band I could still adore. And I have done so ever since.

"Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier"

"Kevin Carter"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxmfBxhhpD4
"No Surface All Feeling"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0r0d1mMw0

transformers
The Black Dahlia Murder, "Ritual"
, 2011

"Carbonized in Cruciform"

"A Shrine to Madness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9I1dVjV4Uw

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The only things that I know about The Pogues are that everyone in Degrassi High liked them and that they are easy to make fun of (for their Irishness and being basically an off-brand version of The Smiths).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

They were around way before the Smiths, though.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: I had it when I was a teen but didn't like it enough to keep it.

Geez: A great live record. Their Leadbelly cover is spine-tingling stuff.

JohnE: I've been meaning to listen to Chris considering how damn cool he was in the Twin Peaks movie. And how great Wicked Game is. In these songs I really dug his voice but the music didn't really grab me. At times it sounded like a bunch of session musicians toeing the line, and not matching the power and distinctness of the voice.

Leetsu: I've heard so much trad that it's hard to see the interesting things they were doing with that style. I'd make some comment about polishing a turd but that's perhaps too far. I also feel McGowan's drunken tramp shtick grates on me a little - why aspire to be that revolting? Perhaps it's because I saw him play in my college bar and he puked all over himself mid-song.

Ron B: I used to dislike Gorillaz as I thought they were a pop act, but now I think they were actually doing something interesting with pop.

SS: Pity Youtube doesn't want us to hear that album. I liked the first song. I really need to get some 80s REM records.

Tranny: Well, it was heavy but I quite enjoyed it. It's only a pity nu-metal borrowed from acts like this and turned it into something awful. And I still have no idea what grunge is.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

My favourite from this round is a toss up between Dylan or Jane's Addiction, depending on my mood. And good job picking the lesser known tracks over the more obvious picks.

And Six, if you saw Shane McGowan in your college bar, that was probably well past his prime when the addictions had taken over. He's now the barely living embodiment of an after-school special about the dangers of alcoholism and drug abuse, but he was something special in his day, and seeing where he was headed probably added to the tragic rock star appeal of Shane MacGowan. He was so deeply flawed, yet incredibly gifted.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.13

englishozzy: Bob Dylan, "Highway 61 Revisited" - Very good album, and good picks, Tombstone Blues is one of my own favourites.

Geezer: The Gaslight Anthem, "Sink or Swim" - Really enjoyed that first song. Reminded me of The Hold Steady a lot, but it was very energetic and catchy stuff. I have no issue with them being derivative of Springsteen, just that those songs previously didn't grab me. These were much better, the second was a lovely ballad, very much like the alt-rock classics. so it makes sense you'd rank them higher. Wasn't thrilled by the last song, but two out of three is good.

JohnErle: The Smithereens, "Especially For You" - Ah, so this is the 'punk' Smiths? [wink] Joking aside, this was very interesting stuff. I'd never heard of the band before, but they sound like a cocktail of influences. I could hear Beach Boys and other 60s pop harmonies in there, mixed with an 80s alt-rock sound I'm familiar with through the likes of The Replacements, and then to top it off vocals which are more than reminiscent to Elvis Costello. Wouldn't think all that together would make something that works, but I enjoyed it. A lot. Especially the first two songs. Seems like these were one of those bands with the sounds that should make them huge, but perhaps without the looks they missed their opportunity to get really big?

Leestu: Jane’s Addiction, “Ritual de lo habitual” - Here was me thinking you'd missed this record off your list and that you favoured Nothing's Shocking. Obviously I love the record, though I'm surprised by your choice of songs. Classic Girl has always been one of my lesser favourites from the record, though it's still pretty good.

numbersix: Nirvana, “In Utero” - Another appearance from another great record. On another day this could have made my top 100, great stuff. And it is funny when I hear Geez constantly hate on Pixies, when this record was clearly influenced by their work. On many songs, Milk It certainly, I could totally imagine it being a Pixies song, it has exactly the same blueprints! Obviously those vocals must make a big difference.

Ron Burgundy: Silverchair, "Frogstomp" - Glad to see this made an appearance at some point, although I should have guessed it would be an Aussie to pick it, its a record I really enjoy whenever I throw it on. Two great song choices too. It's such a youthful and energetic record, and again, like you say, while derivative of Nirvana, it still packs a punch. I like a few of their follow up releases, particularly Freak Show and Neon Ballroom, though their later releases haven't been as inspired, but this has always been my favourite of their work.
how hard it was for his best friends.

transformers: The Black Dahlia Murder, "Ritual" - I think I have the same issue with vocals on your metal tracks as Geez does with the Pixies. Te growling completely overshadows what may be sool cool guitar work. Its so loud an aggressive it just completely takes me out of the experience. I'm sure there were some At The Drive-In sounds going on in the background though, just very well masked.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote: JohnErle: The Smithereens, "Especially For You" - Ah, so this is the 'punk' Smiths? [wink] Joking aside, this was very interesting stuff. I'd never heard of the band before, but they sound like a cocktail of influences. I could hear Beach Boys and other 60s pop harmonies in there, mixed with an 80s alt-rock sound I'm familiar with through the likes of The Replacements, and then to top it off vocals which are more than reminiscent to Elvis Costello. Wouldn't think all that together would make something that works, but I enjoyed it. A lot. Especially the first two songs. Seems like these were one of those bands with the sounds that should make them huge, but perhaps without the looks they missed their opportunity to get really big?
The producer on their early albums was Don Dixon, the same guy who worked on REM's early albums, so that's probably part of the familiarity you're hearing.

And yeah, they were always a band with an image problem. Their first semi-hit on college radio was Blood & Roses which probably left people assuming they looked like The Cure, but they were never cool enough to have long-term success on college radio. Pat Dinizio looked more like a record store clerk than a rock star, the guitarist looked like a car mechanic, the drummer looked like a math teacher, and the bass player was the only guy with any rock star panache. I bet he got all the Smithereens groupies, assuming there were any. And their earnest 60's influences were out of sync with what was hip at the time.

They had another moderate hit in '88 with "A Girl Like You" but the sound of that album was probably too mainstream for a lot of their early, alternative fans. And an interesting bit of trivia about "A Girl Like You" is that Cameron Crowe had asked the Smithereens to write the theme soong for his next movie Say Anything and A Girl Like You was the result, but the producers ultimately rejected it. Then it went on the become their biggest hit anyway.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote: numbersix: Nirvana, “In Utero” - Another appearance from another great record. On another day this could have made my top 100, great stuff. And it is funny when I hear Geez constantly hate on Pixies, when this record was clearly influenced by their work. On many songs, Milk It certainly, I could totally imagine it being a Pixies song, it has exactly the same blueprints! Obviously those vocals must make a big difference.
If you recall, I did rate Milk It a 2 star and it might be the worst song on the album.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.12

englishozzy
R.E.M, "Murmur"
, 1983

Another band that I didn't really pay much attention to until my late teens when I downloaded their greatest hits album. After many many plays and purchases of their entire collection I still feel their debut album is truly their best. I can get lost in Stipe's lyrics that not many musicians can do.

"Sitting Still"

"Radio Free Europe"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM14iyIrLxg

Geezer
Fall Out Boy, "From Under The Cork Tree
, 2005

1.Our Lawyer Made Us Change the Name of this Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued – 5 stars
2.Of All The Gin Joints In The World – 5 stars
3.Dance, Dance – 3 stars
4.Sugar, We're Going Down Swinging – 4 stars
5.Nobody Puts Baby In the Corner – 5 stars
6.I've Got A Dark Alley and a Bad Idea that Says You Should Shut Your Mouth – 5 stars
7.7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen) – 5 stars
8.Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year – 5 stars
9.Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends – 4 stars
10.I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt – 4 stars
11.A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More “Touch Me” - 5 stars
12.Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene and Stop Going To Shows) – 3 stars
13.Xo – 4 stars

A lot of people hate Fall Out Boy, a lot of people love them. And then there's me. The guy who absolutely, unequivocally adores this ONE record, and could pretty much dismiss everything else they've ever done. This is a brilliant record, chock full of catchy hooks and great lyrics. If you don't like the band, that's cool, I understand. I just believe that this is one of the truly greatest albums of my generation. I've listened to it hundreds of times and it never gets old. And the best tracks are mostly the album cuts. The two biggest singles from the record are ok, but not even close by comparison, so if you haven't delved deeper based on that, you should.

"Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year"

"A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More "Touch Me""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtZpP1QIHSU
"Of All The Gin Joints in the World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRnpGZyjcM

JohnErle
Steve Earle, "El Corazon"
, 1997

Sometimes I think YouTube is one of the worst possible ways to introduce people to new music. The sound quality on most of the videos from this album is atrocious, but with Steve Earle that's maybe not such a bad thing since it'll force people to pay more attention to the lyrics, and his 90s albums like El Corazon are when he firmly established himself as one of the greatest songwriters of all time. There's a theme running through these songs about small town boys and big cities, and this album was released a few years after I arrived in Vancouver from a small town, so maybe that's one reason those songs stand out for me.

"Telephone Road"

"N.Y.C."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygWFYPeNmo
"Ft. Worth Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkPrU_BktHA

Leestu
The Cure, “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me”
, 1987

The perfect Cure album for showcasing their balance of “gothicy” (for lack of a better word) driving guitar work (The Kiss), and their near perfect pop beauty (Catch).

“The Kiss”

“Catch”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPnYXldfY8
“How Beautiful You Are”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oj0sg5OTxc

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Bob Dylan, “Blood on the Tracks”
, 1975

It's not easy to get into Bob Dylan. I enjoyed his early protest stuff, but his voice and dense lyrics do take time. Hearing this record was a real turning point for me. The voice is still.... distinct, the lyrics are pretty profound, but there's some so welcoming about the sound. It's warm, it's inviting, it's eternally listenable. Tangled Up in Blue is such a greater opener. Shelter From the Storm is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Lyrically is where Dylan always excels. Here, there seems to be a newfound maturity, a desire to delve deeper into personal issues (even if it's not directly about him). But it's not all pastoral tales and literary references. Idiot Wind delivers sneers galore, and there's real heartbreak in there too.

Youtube and Dylan don't seem to get along, so I'm using Vimeo instead.

"Idiot Wind"
http://vimeo.com/58228159
"Simple Twist of Fate"
http://vimeo.com/35839961

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, "Kid A"
, 2000

The follow up to OK Computer, Kid A went away from the Alt Rock sound and became an electronic synth opera with repetitive vocals (Thom Yorke apparently had writers block) and strange compositions. Initially i really didnt like this album, apart from the opening track; Everything in its Right Place, but soon enough, i was playing it over and over.

"The National Anthem"

"Optimistic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KSrcyF6qQ

silversurfer
Weezer, "Weezer (The Blue Album)"
, 1994

Another record that could often be referred to as the soundtrack to my youth, The Blue Album is a record that I fell in love with from the moment I placed that shiny disk into my CD player and hit play. It's the perfect coming of age record, a record that captures all those emotions an awkward teenager goes through as they approach adulthood, and within each song I could find something relate to, and indeed truly felt. Branded as geek rock, The Blue Album was really a record that reached out to a disaffected youth, with a collection of truly heartfelt songs masquerading under the guise of an exciting, energetic burst of power pop. When I first caught the video the "Undone" back in '94, with its Spike Jonze directed soundstage ravaged by a pack of dogs, I knew this was an interesting band, a group who could excite with their Beach Boys-esque harmonies backed by stirring guitars belying a song which deals with the breakdown of a relationship. How could a song so emotionally charged and painful come across so fun?

This dichotomy was a major part of their debut (as well as Pinkerton), and it leads to a record which invites you in, makes you feel all warm and cosy inside as it understands your own issues as you grow up. However, while it was extremely relevant as I was approaching my teens, I keep finding myself returning to the album. I don't think I've ever gone a month since that first time I loaded it up and "Jonas" kicked off that I haven't listened to this record. There is not one false move on the record, it's just flawless from start to finish and I don't think I've ever listened to it without a smile on my face. It's a record that bares its soul on many occassions, the lyrics are at times truly traumatic as it tackles all the pitfalls of relationships in all their forms, but still it makes me feel joyous. That's the beauty of Weezer's debut, it touches you and excites you at the same time, and if a record can achieve such a huge feat, then damn it's doing something quite wonderful.

"My Name Is Jonas"

"No One Else"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGYNdxX2qU
"Say It Ain't So"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

transformers
Morbid Angel, "Altars of Madnessl"
, 1989

"Maze of Torment"

"Chapel of Ghouls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUFREEJiGeQ
Last edited by silversurfer19 on March 28th, 2013, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Again, lots of artists I know well but albums I've never listened to from beginning to end. If I ever did I suspect my favourite would be Blood On The Tracks, or maybe Murmur.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Your taste always amazes me. You can pick what I feel to be the worst music I've ever heard, and then the following day you pick some of the best! Don't ever change, dude.

Geez: Well, thanks for thinking of me! I actually very much did value hearing a song that differed from their usual mid tempo rock style, so The Navesink Banks was the song I enjoyed the most. I still think they're both derivative and not as strong as The Boss, and I certainly feel that their lyrics (which I went and read) don't come close. And I don't even like The Boss that much! Interestingly, I've noticed that not only do you have a very narrow taste in music, but the same applies lyrically, where 90% of the songs you pick seem to be about young men going out, drinking, looking for girls, and usually feeling sorry for themselves. We should create a new subgenre of music called Geez Rock!

John E: My, you do love your 90s sound. Still, I was impressed by this lot. As SS said, there's a real Elvis Costello sound to these guys, especially the first and third song. The middle had a great bass line. Thanks for the intro!

Leetsu: The songs were okay, but I think I prefer the other album of theirs you posted.

Ron B: I remember the Nirvana comparisons when this record came out, but it definitely has influences from the other main grunge acts. I can't say I found this to be distinct, but I am impressed by how accomplished they sound when they were only fucking 15!

SS: The record that introduced most of us to the Manics. While I have heard it in its entirely as a teen, I don't own it. I guess for me there was a loss of focus once Richey disappeared. The band obviously went for a more streamlined and accessible sound. And for songs like A Design for Life and Kevin Carter that really worked. But there's a lot in this record that I find forgettable, and I lost interest in them after buying This is My Truth.

Tranny: Sorry, dude, but found that really hard to get through. I'm playing a video game at the moment called Left 4 Dead 2, and the sounds of some of the zombies sound like the singer in this band.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote: Interestingly, I've noticed that not only do you have a very narrow taste in music, but the same applies lyrically, where 90% of the songs you pick seem to be about young men going out, drinking, looking for girls, and usually feeling sorry for themselves. We should create a new subgenre of music called Geez Rock!
Welcome to my life from the ages of 17-21, a time in which the large majority of my current taste was developed. So that is no mere coincidence. Throw in a little brotherhood, young love and a dash of politics for spice, and you've pretty much got me down.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude