Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#1

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:John E: My, you do love your 90s sound. Still, I was impressed by this lot. As SS said, there's a real Elvis Costello sound to these guys, especially the first and third song. The middle had a great bass line. Thanks for the intro!
I'm assuming you meant to say 80s, so the answer would be that those were my pre-teen and teen years, so obviously the music of that era had a profound impact on shaping my tastes.

Anyway. I'm glad you and Surfer liked The Smithereens. I also recommend Green Thoughts, or A Date With The Smithereens which was the start of their darker, angry period, featuring guest darkness and anger from Lou Reed.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Looking at my top 10, I've got four albums from the 80s, including my top 3, but also three albums from the 90s and three from the 70s. I've probably got one or two surprises left up my sleeve.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Actually, no, I meant 90s and only realised when that Smithereen albums was released. Goes to show how much I know music production!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.12

englishozzy: R.E.M, "Murmur" - Mark me surprised. I didn't really factor any early REM, nor 80s alt rock for that matter, as a favourite of yours. Guess it just further emphasises that there is NO way of guessing what you're going to come up with next. Anyway, glad I wasn't the only one to find Murmur a stunning record, I anticipated if anyone else did, it would be Leestu. I do find it funny, however that you an get so engrossed in Stipe's lyrics that are barely legibile in this record. That takes some effort!

Geezer: Fall Out Boy, "From Under The Cork Tree - Yeah, I generally never liked this band, partly due to their whining vocals, not to mention the annoying length of their titles. And as you mention, the singles are largely grating. I lumped them into the same group of artists with Panic! At The Disco. Yet, listening to these songs, I could hear a little Jimmy Eat World, which was much more listenable. If the rest of the record follows this path, which I think you suggest is the case, then I suppose I could get through the album, which is a real surprise, in a good way.

JohnErle: Steve Earle, "El Corazon" - I've known the name Steve Earle for a while now, but never had the opportunity to explore how he sounds. I think I anticipated something heavier, but the first song was very nice Americana (or is it bluegrass, I can never be sure on genres), loved the second song too, it had a real Ryan Adams vibe to it, while the last song was some lovely folk. Lots of variety on this record. As I've been looking to get into his work, this seems like a great starting point.

Leestu: The Cure, “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me” - I know this record solely for Why Can't I Be You? and Just Like Heaven, but I really enjoyed these new additions too. The first had a little prog in there, in a good way, with it's ominous, wailing guitars and cool beat, while Smith's vocals seemed quite aggressive. Loved it. Second was quite slight, but still nice. Last song was classic The Cure. I really need to look into more of their records, I think I only own Three Imaginary Boys and their greatest hits, from what you've showcased here and previously I really need to catch up.

numbersix: Bob Dylan, “Blood on the Tracks” - Glad to see this is gaining a bit of traction now in regards to its appeal, obviously I love it, and great picks too.

Ron Burgundy: Radiohead, "Kid A" - I'm with you there, when I first heard Kid A, and I had been warned through reviews, I was completely put off by this new Radiohead. I struggled to count the tracks I liked, or even regarded as music (The National Anthem, Everything In It's Right Place, How To Disappear Completely, Optimistic, Idioteque, Motion Picture Soundtrack), though even then they took a while to grow on me. However, it wasn't until I listened to the I Might Be Wrong live recordings that I started to truly appreciate this record along with Amnesiac. This new brands of Radiohead worked so much better live, and it allowed me to go back to Kid A refreshed, and now I love it.

transformers: Morbid Angel, "Altars of Madnessl" - Sorry, buddy, just not my thing.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Last picks before we hit THE TOP TEN!

Album No.11

englishozzy
System of a Down, "Toxicity"
, 2001

Easily SOAD most commercially successful and best album in my opinion. The Armenian-American group were on top form when this came out with their politically charged manic lyrics and brilliant tracks.

"Aerials"

"Jet Pilot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR4Jye73e_o

Geezer
To Be Added At A Later Date

JohnErle
Joe Jackson, "Look Sharp!"
, 1979

There are a lot of debut albums on my list, so I guess the adage about debut albums is true: you have a lifetime to make your first album and only six months to make your second. For those of you who've never heard of Joe Jackson, just imagine Elvis Costello without the glasses and you have a pretty good idea. He had some good songs on later albums, and had almost completely abandoned his New Wave roots by 1982, but he was never this vibrant or brilliant again.

"Got The Time"

"Pretty Girls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPixt9dA7p4
"Sunday Papers (live)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck

Leestu
The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”
, 1985

“Barbarism Begins at Home”

“Rusholme Ruffians”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEkmLVw_UE
“The Headmaster Ritual”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HMvk36DGA&NR=1

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”
, 1984

Talking Heads were the perfect blend of arty experimentation and pop accessibility. In many ways these guys changed music. But interestingly, I don't think they ever made a perfect album. Instead, this live album is the best thing they committed to pieces of round plastic.

The album (well, the rerelease in the 90s, not the original 1984 version) is a great demonstration on how the band build their rather bolstered sound. It starts with just David Byrne on guitar and a tape machine of electric beats, as they work together to deliver an ingenious version of Psycho Killer. For each song a little more is added... bass on Heaven... backing singers and synths on Slippery People, until we get the magnificent and boisterous closing tracks. All the while it's obvious that the band are having a whole lotta fun, while also cleverly turning the idea of a live show on its head.

"Heaven"

"Burning Down the House"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42Xg-mAkGg

Ron Burgundy
Dr. Dre, "The Chronic"
, 1992

Smooth and Funky, rapping with flow and nice beat. Dr Dre's first solo album gangsta rap at its finest...yeah. I started listening to this around 14 years old, and ill admit i havent been searching much lately but its hard to find a better rap album. A young Snoop Dogg appears here too. I used to love getting high to this as some of the stuff is so mellow, but the wild lyrics must be just that, lyrics, not threats or anything. So kick back and enjoy

"Let Me Ride"

"Nuthing but a G' Thang"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr5UBZh1rY

silversurfer
Pixies, "Surfer Rosa"
, 1988

How could four such unassuming, quiet musicians create something so full of vitriol and aggression like Surfer Rosa? It's a question I'm sure most who look at the band first ponder. The Pixies were not your typical rock band, they didn't look like a rock band for starters, especially during the late 80s where big hair and prancing around a stage meant everything. But despite their outward looks, The Pixies, and Black Francis in particular, harboured something terrifying within himself. Surfer Rosa pummels away at you with it's raw, emotional barrage of incest, mutilation and voyeurism. It's a potent cocktail of lyrics, and with the band's now trademark quietLOUDquiet sound mixed with spanish guitars, it makes for an abrasive, but fascinating listen.

I only found Surfer Rosa in the late 90s, a good decade after it's initial release, and while I have spent a lot of my time since catching up on this record, it continues to surprise me how such wonderful moments of pure pop can permeate all this surreal, left-field brutality. With the likes of Gigantic (and if any Pixies track can win Geezer over, surely it's this) and Where Is My Mind? they truly stepped up a notch in their ability to craft pop perfection, but even though perhaps the band don't try for something else quite so obvious, many other tracks certainly touch on how to achieve this pinnacle of pop buried underneath frantic guitars and howling, yelping vocals. It was a heck of a step up from what I've heard on The Purple Tape, and Steve Albini's production owes much to that. But overall this is the sound of a fantastic group of musicians, devoted to creating original and astonishing rock music. And man, do they pull it off.

"Gigantic"

"Something Against You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XdL1QAil9U
"Broken Face"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEzifwSzNDg

transformers
Iron Maiden, "Piece of Mind"
, 1983

"The Trooper"

"Flight of Icarus"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qDz7K1nbU

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.11

englishozzy: System of a Down, "Toxicity" - While it doesn't get much play from me nowadays, it's certainly the most accessible SOAD album. Aerials is probably their best song I've heard, but there certainly a lot of bounce on this record.

JohnErle Joe Jackson, "Look Sharp!" - Wow, another act I've never heard of. And again I stand impressed. Urgent and punchy combinations of New Wave with a little punk is always good by me, and I could certainly hear that kind of sarcastic bite of Elvis Costello. Good stuff.

Leestu: The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder” - Sublime record, made my own list and the more repeats of these songs the better.

numbersix: Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense” - Maybe this is where I've been going wrong with Talking Heads. While I own both '77 and Remain In Light, I find other than some of the more obvious songs, that I just don't really have the motivation to listen to them. They have their moments, but not enough for me to listen to the whole record. Maybe I should be investigating this record instead, as although those songs were all familiar, they did seem to take on a new form in the live format

Ron Burgundy: Dr. Dre, "The Chronic" - Maybe it's just me, but when I hear rap artists trying to go 'pop', I just hear Will Smith... Granted there are a few interesting samples and shifts within the music, though at times it sounds like that noise your computer used to make when trying to connect to the internet back in the old days. Not really my bag, sorry.

transformers: Iron Maiden, "Piece of Mind" - I'm never quite sure if I'm familiar with Iron Maiden songs, but that first track was instantly familiar. Very 80s, but enjoyable. Second track didn't quite hit those heights though. Again, I'll unlikely ever own an Iron Maiden album, but for a short, sharp blast of some undeniable fun, you can't go wrong with them.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:JohnErle: Steve Earle, "El Corazon" - I've known the name Steve Earle for a while now, but never had the opportunity to explore how he sounds. I think I anticipated something heavier, but the first song was very nice Americana (or is it bluegrass, I can never be sure on genres), loved the second song too, it had a real Ryan Adams vibe to it, while the last song was some lovely folk. Lots of variety on this record. As I've been looking to get into his work, this seems like a great starting point.
I don't usually like assigning labels to music, and a lot of my favourite artists draw from multiple genres, so if I had to call Steve Earle anything it would be alt-country, but Americana works too. Bluegrass is an American derivative of Celtic music, so if you heard it you would probably know it because you'd hate it. Steve Earle does play bluegrass on occasion, so try to find "I Still Carry You Around", "Carrie Brown", or anything he did with the Del McCoury band if you want to torture yourself in the name of education.

And I'm glad you've enjoyed so many of my picks lately. The whole reason for me to do this was to introduce some people to a few artists they may have overlooked.

As for this round, I like the picks from Talking Heads, Smiths, and The Pixies, and Piece Of Mind is my favourite metal album of all time, and Where Eagles Dare is my favourite metal song ever because it really shows off Maiden's great rhythm section. It's also got long instrumental bits for those of us who can't really get into that metal style of singing.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote:And I'm glad you've enjoyed so many of my picks lately. The whole reason for me to do this was to introduce some people to a few artists they may have overlooked.
While I don't mind as you have indeed broadened my interests to some artists I hadn't previously considered, would you say that these are possibly not your favourite albums? Rather albums you feel deserve to be recognised? As I say, it doesn't matter all that much, and I'm sure on any given day your favourite 20 records could interchange with others (as I'm certain a few of mine would), but I just found the statement interesting.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:
JohnErle wrote:And I'm glad you've enjoyed so many of my picks lately. The whole reason for me to do this was to introduce some people to a few artists they may have overlooked.
While I don't mind as you have indeed broadened my interests to some artists I hadn't previously considered, would you say that these are possibly not your favourite albums? Rather albums you feel deserve to be recognised? As I say, it doesn't matter all that much, and I'm sure on any given day your favourite 20 records could interchange with others (as I'm certain a few of mine would), but I just found the statement interesting.
No, these are my true favourites, but I tend to root for the underdog, so that may have influenced my picks subconsciously. What I meant is that it's the lesser known artists like The Smithereens, Ashley MacIsaac or Pure who made me want to make the effort to participate in this. If someone goes out and buys their first Led Zeppelin album based on my picks I won't really care, but if someone tracks down an obscure artist they might never have heard of otherwise, then it was worthwhile.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

20-11 Recap

englishozzy
20. Weezer, "Weezer (The Blue Album)", 1994
19. Blur, "Parklife", 1994
18. Muse, "Black Holes and Revelations", 2006
17. Jimmy Eat World, "Bleed American", 2001
16. Foo Fighters, "The Color And The Shape", 1997
15. Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory", 2000
14. The Offspring, "Smash", 1994
13. Bob Dylan, "Highway 61 Revisited" , 1965
12. R.E.M, "Murmur", 1983
11. System of a Down, "Toxicity", 2001

Geezer
20. Jimmy Eat World, "Bleed American", 2001
19. Against Me!, "Reinventing Axl Rose", 2002
18. The Beatles, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", 1967
17. Green Day, "American Idiot", 2004
16. The Menzingers, "On The Impossible Past", 2012
15. The Gaslight Anthem, "The '59 Sound", 2008
14. Nirvana, "MTV Unplugged in New York", 1994
13. The Gaslight Anthem, "Sink or Swim", 2007
12. Fall Out Boy, "From Under The Cork Tree, 2005

JohnErle
20. Ashley MacIsaac, "Hi, How Are You Today?", 1996
19. Pure, "Generation 6-Pack", 1994
18. Crowded House, "Woodface", 1991
17. AC/DC, "Powerage", 1978
16. Led Zeppelin, "Led Zeppelin IV", 1971
15. Led Zeppelin, "Led Zeppelin III", 1970
14. Chris Isaak, "Forever Blue", 1995
13. The Smithereens, "Especially For You", 1986
12. Steve Earle, "El Corazon", 1997
11. Joe Jackson, "Look Sharp!", 1979

Leestu
20. Nirvana, “MTV Unplugged in New York”, 1994
19. Sonic Youth, “Daydream Nation”, 1988
18. Modest Mouse, “Good News for People Who Love Bad News”, 2004
17. Prince, “Purple Rain”, 1984
16. Joy Division, “Unknown Pleasures”, 1979
15. The Smiths, “The Queen Is Dead”, 1986
14. The Pogues, “Rum, Sodomy & the Lash”, 1985
13. Jane’s Addiction, “Ritual de lo habitual”, 1990
12. The Cure, “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me”, 1987
11. The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”, 1985

NSpan
20. Jerry Jeff Walker, "¡Viva Terlingua!", 1970

numbersix
20. The Pixies, “Surfer Rosa”, 1988
19. Sufjan Stevens, “Ilinoise”, 2005
18. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “No More Shall We Part”, 2001
17. The Rapture, “Echoes”, 2003
16. The Velvet Underground, “The Velvet Underground & Nico”, 1967
15. PJ Harvey, “Rid of Me”, 1993
14. Radiohead, “OK Computer”, 1997
13. Nirvana, “In Utero”, 1994
12. Bob Dylan, “Blood on the Tracks”, 1975
11. Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”, 1984

Ron Burgundy
20. Radiohead, "The Bends", 1995
19. The Beatles, "Abbey Road", 1969
18. Digitalism, "I Love You, Dude", 2011
17. Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP", 2011
16. REM, "Automatic For The People", 1992
15. Rage Against The Machine, "Evil Empire", 1996
14. Gorillaz, "Demon Days", 2005
13. Silverchair, "Frogstomp", 1995
12. Radiohead, "Kid A", 2000
11. Dr. Dre, "The Chronic", 1992

silversurfer
20. Iggy And The Stooges, "Raw Power", 1973
19. The Jesus And Mary Chain, "Psychocandy", 1985
18. Joy Divison, "Unknown Pleasures", 1979
17. Nirvana, "Nevermind", 1991
16. The Clash, "The Clash", 1977
15. REM, "Automatic For The People", 1992
14. R.E.M, "Lifes Rich Pageant", 1986
13. Manic Street Preachers, "Everything Must Go", 1996
12. Weezer, "Weezer (The Blue Album)", 1994
11. The Pixies, “Surfer Rosa”, 1988

transformers
20. Slayer, "Reign in Blood", 1986
19. Children of Bodom, "Follow the Reaper", 2000
18. Metallica, "Master of Puppets", 1986
17. Iron Maiden, "The Number of the Beast", 1982
16. The Faceless, "Planetary Duality", 2008
15. Pantera, "Vulgar Display of Power", 1992
14. Alice In Chains, "Dirt", 1992
13. The Black Dahlia Murder, "Ritual", 2011
12. Morbid Angel, "Altars of Madness", 1989
11. Iron Maiden, "Piece of Mind", 1983

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I WILL come back to this eventually.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

This was generally a very strong round, as you would expect as we hit the top 20. There were many of my own picks scattered throughout the countdown (16 different records in total), while there were also lots of records I like that didn't quite make the cut (Parklife, Bleed American, Frogstomp, In Utero, Echoes and Nivana Unplugged). Really enjoyed discovering new acts, especially so JohnErle's (despite his adoration of Crowded House).

Albums I will be exploring further from this round:

Green Day, "American Idiot", 2004
The Gaslight Anthem, "Sink or Swim", 2007
Pure, "Generation 6-Pack", 1994
The Smithereens, "Especially For You", 1986
Steve Earle, "El Corazon", 1997
Joe Jackson, "Look Sharp!", 1979
The Cure, “Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me”, 1987
Sufjan Stevens, “Ilinoise”, 2005
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, “No More Shall We Part”, 2001
Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”, 1984
Digitalism, "I Love You, Dude", 2011
Iron Maiden, "The Number of the Beast", 1982

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

11. Everclear, "So Much For The Afterglow," 1997

1.So Much For The Afterglow – 5 stars
2.Everything to Everyone – 5 stars
3.Ataraxia (Media Intro) – N/A
4.Normal Like You – 4 stars
5.I Will Buy You a New Life – 5 stars
6.Father of Mine – 5 stars
7.One Hit Wonder – 4 stars
8.El Distorto De Melodica – 2 stars
9.Amphetamine – 5 stars
10.White Men In Black Suits – 4 stars
11.Sunflowers – 4 stars
12.Why I Don't Believe in God – 5 stars
13.Like a California King – 4 stars
14.Hating You For Christmas (hidden track) – 5 stars

The best album from one of my favorite bands. A few of these songs were featured in my top songs countdown. So glad I got to see them perform last summer, something I was doubtful would ever happen.

"Father of Mine"

"Amphetemine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1IC19rWj0
"So Much For The Afterglow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN371tq2F0M
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Following ozzy's recent selection I came across this version of Toxicity. Certainly adds a little gravitas!

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

How about Richard Cheese's version of Chop Suey??

"Then telephone for an axe"