Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #9) #20-#1

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote: Ideally I'd like to submit no.10 today, though I'm still short four picks, but if that was the case and I could do one a day, we could possibly look at a start date for no.1's as 12th April.
That seems like a lot to get through in a short time frame, especially if you want people to have time to listen and comment. Luckily I'm already familiar with 99% of what's been posted in the top 20, but I know I wouldn't have time to listen and comment otherwise. Slowing down and doing one every 48 or even 72 hours might be a good idea. And don't forget we have a full-year draft coming up so we all need time to prepare for that.
I an ideal world, I'd agree with you. But I've been doing this since mid-September now, almost seven months. And during that time the commitment for those to comment has just declined to the point I just want this over with. What started out fun has become almost a chore. I doubt anyone is more likely to comment given 2 days than one, after all, I gave everyone two weeks to get in a few picks from the top 20, and only yourself, six and Leestu were able to do that.

Surely everyone can give one hour a day for 9 days and just finish it? I think it's worth the effort that has already been put in over the last 90 picks.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

An hour a day is still a lot of time to commit in this hectic world we live in. My laptop appears to be finally dead so I have to steal time at work just to find YouTube videos and do my writeups, which isn't always possible.

100 was probably overkill, just like the movie countdown. Everyone wasted their initial enthusiasm on picks 100-80 and it seems like most people have little left for the top 10, which is a shame.

Maybe next time we'll learn our lesson and limit ourselves to a top 40 at most and give people adequate prep time.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I disagree John. I've picked up a few great albums as a result of this countdown so far (Band of Skulls, Mclusky, Lucero, dEUS and Against Me!) that by memory were in the 40-100 range, and there's a few more from that range that I expect to get with time. Probably more than there is in the 1-40 range (of which like you I already know most of, or already know I'm not interested in apart from the odd exception here and ther like Pure - I'll be checking more of them out). And I am still super keen to see everyone's top ten and their selections for the albums I know. No waning of enthusiasm here. Although I will admit to a lack of time to comment with a full time job and three teenage kids with sporting commitments and them hogging the computer (why does their homework get priority over my listening to music? :roll: ) , I still ensure I'm prepared ahead of time, and I am still listening to everything, just all out of order, and bits here and there, falling behind and catching up....
Last edited by Leestu on April 4th, 2013, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Leestu wrote:I disagree John. I've picked up a few great albums as a result of this countdown so far (Band of Skulls, Mclusky, Lucero, DEus and Against Me!) that by memory were in the 40-100 range, and there's a few more from that range that I expect to get with time. Probably more than there is in the 1-40 range (of which like you I already know most of, or already know I'm not interested in apart from the odd exception here and ther like Pure - I'll be checking more of them out). And I am still super keen to see everyone's top ten and their selections for the albums I know. No waning of enthusiasm here. Although I will admit to a lack of time to comment with a full time job and three teenage kids with sporting commitments and them hogging the computer (why does their homework get priority over my listening to music? :roll: ) , I still ensure I'm prepared ahead of time, and I am still listening to everything, just all out of order, and bits here and there, falling behind and catching up....
That's good to know. When people aren't commenting it's easy to assume they aren't even paying attention, but that's not necessarily the case. And you make a good point about the earlier rounds where people are more likely to be making unexpected picks from artists you don't know. At this point it's mostly the obvious stuff and it gets a bit repetitive so there's not much left to say about the Smiths or Nirvana when they appear for the 10th time.

I still think slowing down and giving more prep time would be a good idea if more countdowns are done in the future. When the movie countdown was done I didn't join in until we reached #50 I think, and this time I didn't join until #20. This time felt even more rushed, like there was a mad dash to get started soon after someone had the idea. But for me to do a list like this I need to start at the top and work my way to the bottom. #100 is the first pick posted but the last decision made, so I need time to get my list sorted before I start.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ozzy - Obviously I'm a huge fan of Smash, made my owl list. Can't wait to see them this summer in Canada!

JE - Chris Isaac doesn't seem to be my thing. Found it boring.

Leestu - I need to get my hands on some Pogues albums. I love what I've heard and this was no different.

Six - I think its been very apparent what my thoughts on Radiohead are.

Ron - Gorillaz are ok from what I've heard. Don't really like Dare though.

Surfer - Another R.E.M. that I should probably check out.

Tranny - Alice In Chains just never quite had the impact on me that it should have, considering my love for the genre. Not sure why exactly, but they are just a step behind the giants if you ask me.

Ozzy - Bob Dylan is just so hit or miss with me. I don't think I could listen to any of his full albums.

JE - The Smithereens certainly seems to fit right in with your taste. Not bad actually. Not necessarily something I'd seek out, but if it were on in the background I could jam to it.

Leestu - Great album from Jane's Addiction.

Nirvana - Obviously a Nirvana album that I enjoy immensely.

Ron - I need to pick up this whole album. Honestly, I know the song Tomorrow, and I like it a lot, I just never knew it was them! What a mature sound for 15 year olds!

Surfer - I liked the first song from Manic Street Preachers. Not so much on the second. The third was ok, but not enough for me to run out and buy the album.

Tranny - Black Dahlia Murder isn't my thing.

Ozzy - It's safe to say that I just need to delve further into R.E.M.'s entire catalog

JE - Never heard of Steve Earle before, but I liked it. Reminded me a lot of Lucero, though I guess it should be the other way around. I think I'll check out more.

Leestu - I like some Cure songs so damn much but others I just can't get into, and thats why none of their albums ultimately made my list, but this was an early contender.

Six and Ron - Resort to my earlier comments regarding these artists.

Surfer - This is my number 10 album of all time. I'll get that posted hopefully after I'm done catching up, but if you see this and I haven't done so, feel free to add it in.

Tranny - Not into it.

Ozzy - You'll soon see how good I think this pick is.

JE - Not something that really got me going. Not bad, just not great for me.

Leestu - I liked the other Smiths stuff better.

Six - this was pleasant, a change from you. I haven't gone too far into the Talking Heads, but what I know of them I like.

Ron - Not my genre, but easy to see why its a classic.

Surfer - I love Where is My Mind and I do really dig Gigantic. It's just the rest of it that loses me I'm afraid.

Tranny - Fucking awesome album. The Guitar work on the Trooper is some of THE BEST ever recorded.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Sorry, I got lost on the way over.. is the party still going on?

#19 King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic

1. "Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part One)"
2. "Book of Saturday"
3. "Exiles"
4. "Easy Money"
5. "The Talking Drum"
6. "Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part Two)"

"Easy Money"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDEwgD4CImo

Also: I'm not sure why ol' Jerry Jeff only got one song featured. So here's another:

PS. I'm reading through the threads, and I'm still going to respond to everything (whether anybody reads the responses or not!). Surf: congrats on finding your inner Disco Kidd.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.