Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#2

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.25

englishozzy
Blink-182, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket"
, 2001

This album is in my countdown due to pure nostalgia more than anything and yet I still find myself frequently revisiting my 90's by playing this album at full volume.

"The Rock Show"

"Give Me One Good Reason"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4G9sidyG9E

Geezer
Lit, "A Place in the Sun"
, 1999

1.Four – 5 stars
2.My Own Worst Enemy – 5 stars
3.Down – 4 stars
4.Miserable – 5 stars
5.No Big Thing – 4 stars
6.Zip-Lock – 5 stars
7.Lovely Day – 5 stars
8.Perfect One – 4 stars
9.Quicksand – 4 stars
10.Happy – 5 stars
11.The Best Is Yet To Come Undone – 4 stars
12.A Place In The Sun – 4 stars

The perfect 90's alternative rock record. A highly underrated band shines with their one and only truly great album. Man, this brings me back. I can listen front to back with no desire to miss a track. Just an awesome summer, cruising around with no place to go type album. I'm sure everyone has heard "My Own Worst Enemy" so I'll chose two other great tracks.

"Four"

"Zip-Lock"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTuQ870EHRY

Leestu
The Pogues., “If I Should Fall From Grace With God”
, 1988

“Turkish Song of the Damned”

“Fiesta”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEl4QRzPH8E

NSpan
James Gang, "Yer Album"
, 1969

numbersix
Interpol, “Turn on the Bright Lights”
, 2002

I still remember discovering these guys back in 2002, in a tiny 10 line column in the Sunday paper. All it really took was two words to pique my interest: Joy Division. The comparison may be lazy (they owe plenty to the better New Wave acts of the 80s, such as The Chameleons, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, and even a bit of Duran Duran), but it was enough for me to download a sample song. I must have listened to NYC 100 times over a week that summer, and bought the band’s debut album as soon as I could.

It’s a wonderful debut, taking elements from that era of music I value most, but putting what felt like an original stamp on it, even if that stamp includes Paul Banks sometimes silly lyrics. They were a band with a sense of gloom and doom but also had a funky bass player. The rhythm shifted during each song in exciting ways. It felt soulful, cool, and fun. And still does. The band has gone down in my estimation, particularly in their last record, perhaps buying too much into their own style and losing the raw energy of their debut. Fortunately there’s always this album to revisit, which I do quite often.

"Say Hello to the Angels"

"Hands Away"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmXOeqtuuE

Ron Burgundy
The Presets, "Apocalypso"
, 2008

"My People"

"Kicking And Screaming"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Qd4cLDKBc

silversurfer
Slint, "Spiderland"
, 1991

Slint were one of those bands who were always on my radar, but were almost impossible to find in a physical format. Spiderland had been on my Amazon wishlist for a good ten years and it wasn't until the band played the entire record at the Primavera Festival in Barcelona back in 2005 that I finally got a chance to purchase it. I knew that the band were one of the pioneers of post-hardcore rock back in the early 90s, but nothing could have prepared me for when I finally listened to the record. I was totally blown away, it's brewing undercurrent of guitars slowly simmering to the surface above hushed, spoken word vocals created such an atmosphere it's easy to get drawn into this world. I think NSpan asked recently whether this record was kind of indestinguishable from one track to the next, and I suppose to an extent that is true. I see this record more as an experience than 6 individual songs, and it certainly helps to hear them collected all together at once. It's a big leap in maturity from their debut, which I quickly sought out after this record. Where as that record was quite thrashy and recognisable of the post-hardcore punk scene of the 80s, this record twisted that genre beyond imagination, leaving behind this unfettered aggression that traditionally characterised hardcore in favour of an abstract, minimalist beauty reminiscent of modernist classical music. The emotional outpour is exhausting at times, but always compelling, as the quietLOUDquiet dynamic of whispering and growls, strumming and assaults which became synonymous with the late 80s alt-rock movement is bridged with the post-punk sound, and leads the way for bands such as Mogwai which would become more familiar during the 90s. It's a phenomenal record, full of anguish and one which always leave you mesmerized.

"Washer"

"Don, Aman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-T63_DK8hc

transformers
Iron Maiden, "Powerslave"
, 1984

"Aces High"

"Flash of the Blade"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM1zAVXKdXg
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 15th, 2013, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

James Gang - Yer' Album - 1969

My motor-skills aren't working too great at the moment. Typing and mousing is a bitch. Imagine the cover. It's cool. (Edit: or just look at that first video, the album is in the background)

Side One
Introduction
Take a Look Around
Funk #48
Bluebird
Lost Woman

Side Two
Stone Rap
Collage
I Don't Have the Time
Wrapcity in English
Fred
Stop

Note: I had a VERY hard time picking songs. This is an INCREDIBLE album. I had to go with three, but the whole LP rocks!!

Funk #48

"Lost Woman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_5PE5yYt4

"Collage"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSv9Sdo3VLw

PS. Tell me we're taking a break for the weekend!!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I can take a break, just been trying to plough through the list as it's been going on for almost five months now! I can see light at the end of the tunnel though!

And I've added the album cover to the main post.
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 15th, 2013, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Don't stop purely on my account. I can keep up.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.26

englishozzy Led Zeppelin, "Led Zeppelin" - Obviously a record I love, and good selections. Communication Breakdown is a fantastic song, really gets you going, while "You Shook Me" takes Willie Dixon's song and transforms it into a great stomp, while still maintaining that classic blues feel.

Geezer Lucero, "Tennessee" - I didn't quite get the same impact as you do in Darcy's Song, though you can obviously hear the anguish in the vocals. Thought nothing of the second or third song, will have to go back and listen to those previous tracks to decide how I feel about the band overall. There's certainly talent there, but I'm just not sure it's for me.

Leestu Dinosaur Jr., “Where You Been” - I've a few Dinosaur Jr records - Bug, You're Living All Over Me, Green Mind and I Bet On Sky. Don't have this though, and if you think it there best work maybe I should take note, as those songs were great.

NSpan The Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds" - There really are so many pop gems on this record you can't go wrong with whatever tracks you showcase. Life is so much better with this record in your life.

numbersix Arvo Part, “Tabula Rasa”, 1977 - Very pleasant, and it came to a very rousing, and satisfying conclusion. I'll have to look for that first part on Youtube to see how it works with this composition, as I'm certainly intrigued.

Ron Burgundy Pixies, "Doolittle" - Just a brilliant record, glad to see it turn up again. Doubt it will be the last we see of it too...

transformers Death, "Scream Bloody Gore, 1987 - Started out ingriguing, but then just kind of lost me once the vocals came in and it all got a bit heavy.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.25

englishozzy Blink-182, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" - Probably the last Blink record I actually took notice of. Some great songs and definitely a more mature record than Enema (though never THAT mature!), always fun to listen to.

Geezer Lit, "A Place in the Sun" - Started out sounding like Foo Fighters with the opening riff in that first song before transforming into rather generic rock, listenable, but nothing particularly outstanding.

Leestu The Pogues., “If I Should Fall From Grace With God” - I don't know. The Pogues have always just been too.... Irish. I can't really connect with their music, and with THAT damned Christmas song constantly playing for three months a year, its easy to tire of them.

NSpan James Gang, "Yer Album" - I loved your song selection back in the song countdown from this act, so I was looking forward to this. Didn't quite have the same impact, but certainly had my head bopping and was wildly enjoyable. Second song sounded like it was very much influenced by The British Invasion, in a good way, before wandering a little and then coming back together again. Third song had a Led Zep vibe, again very welcome. If there's a funk record I'm going to pick up following this countdown, I could almost bet it will be this.

numbersix Interpol, “Turn on the Bright Lights” - While I could argue that I also enjoy Antics quite a lot, there has certainly been a marked downturn in the quality of Interpol's records since their debut. Great album though.

Ron Burgundy The Presets, "Apocalypso" - At first I thought this was to have a kind of Liars sound to it, but it just became something I wasn't really interested in, like a second rate Chemical Brothers.

transformers Iron Maiden, "Powerslave" - Entertaining enough, good riffs and fun vocals. Would never buy it, but certainly a fun listen.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy and Geez: Why I try to give pop-punk, or whatever these songs are, a chance I just couldn't get into either. Perhaps I needed to be there to get something out of it.

Leetsu: I take no offence to SS's claim that it's too Irish. While I enjoyed the intro to the first song, ultimately it delves far too much into traditional Irish music, something that simply grates on me. The second song is totally overplayed here, and often in moronic ads or TV shows, so I was not won over.

NSpan: This was interesting. As it was 69 it probably wasn't the most original music of that kind, but the third song really struck a chord with me. Would I have heard it before somewhere? Overall some really good stuff.

Ron B: Think I preferred the other albums of theirs you posted. As SS astutely said, there's a real sense that they're trying to be Oz's answer to the Chemical Brothers, and while that may go down well on the dance floor, it's not really something I can enjoy from the confines of my laptop's headphones.

SS: A great record, and well described. Washer is a great tune. As I said earlier, if you haven't checked out the band Codeine, do so.

Tranny: Not really my thing, but listenable.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Since Surfer and Six are ragging on The Pogues, I feel the urge to jump in say that If I Should Fall From Grace With God is easily in my top 5 albums of all time, probably number 2 or 3. And excellent song choice with Turkish Song Of The Damned! (Although I can totally understand being sick of Fairytale Of New York now that it's become a Christmas staple in the UK.)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just to inform you, I'm waiting on no.24 picks from ozzy, Geezer, NSpan and tranny before I can proceed.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Lit - A Place in the Sun - 7/10
The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God - 6/10
James Gang - Yer Album - 6/10
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights - 6/10
The Presets - Apocalypso - 4/10
Slint - Spiderland - 8/10
Iron Maiden - Powerslave - 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:the third song really struck a chord with me. Would I have heard it before somewhere? Overall some really good stuff.
The Breeders covered it.

More recently, Adam Green and Binki Shapiro also released a cover.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.24

englishozzy
R.E.M., "Automatic for the People"
, 1992

First came across this band at college when a friend was playing their Greatest Hits album, I remember thinking to myself how come I have never heard of these guys but know so many songs. Since then I have ploughed through their collection with this being one of my favourites.

"Nightswimming"

"Man on the Moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSYgOGtos

Geezer
Pearl Jam, "Ten"
, 1991

1.Once – 5 stars
2.Even Flow – 5 stars
3.Alive – 5 stars
4.Why Go – 4 stars
5.Black – 5 stars
6.Jeremy – 5 stars
7.Oceans – 3 stars
8.Porch – 4 stars
9.Garden – 3 stars
10.Deep – 3 stars
11.Release – 4 stars

Seriously, who debuts with an album this great? Who just gets together, says "let's start making music" out of the blue and puts together something as masterful as this? It still baffles me. It is the greatest achievement Pearl Jam ever made, but that's only because its near impossible to top. Hell it almost plays like a greatest hits record by itself.

"Jeremy"

"Black"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhsRIDh1RQ

Leestu
Joy Division, “Closer”
, 1980

“Atrocity Exhibition”

“Colony”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3BRAiMrAw

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”
, 1985

Many call their 1986 record The Queen is Dead their greatest achievement, but I think it’s this record that showcases the very best of these Mancunian wonders. Their debut record was brimming with great ideas just gasping for the opportunity to be explored in greater detail, and this album fulfilled it in every imaginable way.

Morrissey’s acerbic wit is ever-present, most specifically in Rusholme Ruffians, though often that humour bleeds into great anguish. The music is stunning, as on the funky Barbarism Begins at Home, and the band delve deep into dark territory, whether it’s the animals wailing on the title track or the universal theme of longing on Well I Wonder. And the centre piece consists of two of their most famous tracks, the brooding odes to the lonely That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore and How Soon is Now. This is a band at the top of their game, and this record’s influence will be heard through the ages.

"Nowhere Fast"

"That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIyXJxPFVz4

Ron Burgundy
DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing"
, 1996

"Midnight In A Perfect World"

"Organ Donor"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4E60Ffa9yQ

silversurfer
The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”
, 1985

While I had owned "The Queen Is Dead" for many, many years (it in fact being the first record I bought with my own money for my 8th birthday), it wasn't until I was 16 and starting my first part time job that I finally added to my Smiths collection with Meat Is Murder. However, it very quickly became the soundtrack to my work journey. Lyrically inventive, sonically ambitious as they tackled multiple genres, this record only cemented my pre-held opinion of the band, who had gained almost cult like status for me due to my obsession with Queen. Infectious from first song to last, with Morrissey at his most intimate as he bears his soul of his love, teenage angst and death, it's no wonder this has become one of the most revered records of all time.

"Well I Wonder"

"I Want The One I Can't Have"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYquiu2b2r8

transformers
Gojira, "From Mars To Sirius"
, 2005

"Backbone"

"Ocean Planet"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVAc4EWbFg
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 19th, 2013, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.24

englishozzy R.E.M., "Automatic for the People" - Woah! You'd never even heard of the band until college? I would have thought that almost impossible unless you grew up in a cave! [wink] Whatever point you discover this band, and this album, it's a moment which you will never forget. Great pick, and great song selection, Nightswimming was in my top 100 songs!

Geezer Pearl Jam, "Ten" - Undoubtedly there are a lot of classic hits on this record, but for some reason I just don't find myself listening to it anymore. Probably should do, as it's always a pleasant listen.

Leestu Joy Division, “Closer” - Great pick, and I was tempted to use Atrocity Exhibition for my own slot too.

numbersix The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder” - Great minds think alike! It was so hard just to pick a couple of songs from this record such is the strength of almost every track, so it was good to see you could back me up with another couple of my favourites.

Ron Burgundy DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing" - Did someone else showcase this already? As I've said previously, DJ Shadow has been one of the best live DJ sets I've ever witnessed, and this had a kind of Massive Attack sound to the first song which was very nice. Second track didn't appeal as much, but good to hear what he can produce in a studio holds up to his live experience.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Steely Dan - Aja - 1977

Side one
Black Cow
Aja
Deacon Blues

Side two
Peg
Home at Last
I Got the News
Josie

"Josie"

"Black Cow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.23

englishozzy
Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Californication"
, 1999

The band had their most successful spell during the 90's and finished the millennium off with this album, which was much improved from the disappointing One Hot Minute.

"Around the World"

"Purple Stain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvS3MR3EyEE

Geezer

Leestu
Nirvana, “In Utero”
, 1993

A great third album from Nirvana. It features some finely crafted great songs with Dumb, Heart Shaped Box, All Apologies and Pennyroyal Tea; but it is the abrasive and exciting tracks like Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Tourette’s, and Scentless Apprentice that sold this album to me and made it one of my favourites that I keep coming back to. A nicely balanced record and a great response to the unexpected success of Nevermind.

“Milk It”

“Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLD0L-9u0g

NSpan

numbersix
Mogwai, “Come On Die Young”
, 1998

These Scots’ second album demonstrated immense maturity. While largely instrumental, you can hear a broadening of their musical horizons and a strengthening of their sound. There are some warm moments that permeate the loneliness, such as Cody, one of the few songs involving vocals, or the lovely Waltz for Aiden.

Elsewhere there’s a starkness that you rarely see outside of string quartets and chamber music. Like all great post-rock, there’s a reliance on the music, and often the individuality of the note. I suppose it’s the equivalent of painting-by-numbers, but it’s damn magical at times, especially as you hear the slow but sure progression towards a climax. It’s hard to represent the full atmosphere of this record (and atmospheric is certainly a word that can be tossed at it) in two songs, but below is a sample of the kind of music you can get lost in.

"Kappa"

"Cody"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8lL0TbItBc

Ron Burgundy
Tool, "Aenima"
, 1996

"Pushit"

"Forty Six & Two"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8CWXPXujXc

silversurfer
Mercury Rev, “Deserters Songs”
, 1998

I'm not sure when I first heard of Mercury Rev, though I do seem to recall seeing them playing a set late at night on a tv show, thinking, this is a cool band. In hindsight I believe they were playing tracks from 'Boces', but it wasn't until I bought Deserters Songs that I fully fell in love with this magical band. Trading their more wild, psychedlia of early records for a more sombre approach, though non the less intense, Deserters Songs is a record I hold dear to my heart. I can still remember sitting in my room listening to Holes over and over, with Jonathan Donahue's romantic vocals rustling up the emotions and the psychedelic instrumentation clashes with multiple genres from pop to jazz, yet somehow this combination of styles forms a truly cohesive and involving sound. The soundtrack to many an evening while studying for my exams, Deserters Songs is a record which stirs things up deep within your soul, and leaves you feeling completely different as you emerge from the other side.

"Holes"

"Goddess On A Hiway"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJbEoc5sDw

transformers
Rage Against the Machine, "The Battle of Los Angeles"
, 1999

"Guerilla Radio"

"Born of a Broken Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgEVfjalThQ