Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#2

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ozzy
Rock show is prob my fav Blink 182 album, though im not a huge fan i dont mind it, though you gotta be in the mood. R.E.M is one of my favs, a great album. And Californication is also a fantastic album that really got me in to RHCP. For those three picks i would give you an average of 8, good stuff.

Geez
Not sure about Lit, probably enjoy it live but not something id pay to see. It leans towards punk which is not my thing. Pearl Jam is a band i once really hated, i think i first heard em when they had that baby song, you know the one, oh where oh where is my bay-ee-bee. But then someone played me this at the same time i discovered guitar hero, where Even flow is a song, and my opinion completely reversed, its a top album from a top band. Dont think they topped this though. Average of 6

Leestu
The Pogues sounded ok, more of a band id enjoy live i think, in a smallish pub. Joy Division is a band i respect somewhat but never liked their stuff. And Dinosaur Jr, another band i was introduced to by guitar hero is pretty good. Nirvana is excellent. Overall a 7

Six
Interpol, great choice, considered it for my own 100. The Smiths is something im not sure ill ever like, sorry to say, always kind of a downer. And Mogwai sounded deep, man, almost like the experimental rock version of Air, i liked it. For those 3 ill give you an avg of 7

SS
For Slint, wow, you had to choose a 9 minute song, or are they all that long? Definitely an underground independent sound, is Pavement (havent heard much from them) a good comparison? The Smiths just isnt my cup of tea, i guess the big reason you and six like their music is the lyrics? Like Bob Dylan. And Mercury Rev is quite emotional, i didnt mind it. Thought the videoclip of the balloons letting go was really suitable. give ya a 5.5 avg

Tranny
Great RATM album, all their stuff is excellent. Gojira certainly packed a punch, not bad but have to be in the mood, the drumming was great. And Iron Maiden is ok, they came down to Oz last year and i missed em, BAH! Overall id give you 6.5

NSpan
James Gang was pretty cool, man, i wish it was '69. And Steely Dan, oh THAT song, my dad used to play that, cool funk. Overall it was a cool sound, 6
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Catching up....

Ozzy: A good example of a band that can go consciously mainstream yet still have talent. A good record.

Geez: This was their debut? I'm not a huge fan, but this does sound like a record from a band who found their voice after years of working at it.

Leetsu: More JD. Atrocity Exhibition is a great tune. One of those songs that just sounds like nothing else. The Ballard book is pretty out there too.

NSpan: Yeah, I don't know if this falls into the genre of prog, but it certianly wasn't my cup of tea. I think the sort of soft-funk/soft-jazz failed to grip me in any way. It's all a bit easy listening.

Ron B: Good to see someone else place this in their Top 100. A really cool, atmospheric record.

SS: Snap! Well I Wonder is a great song.

Tranny: Again, the music wasn't bad. The vocals? Nah.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: Yeah, I don't know if this falls into the genre of prog, but it certianly wasn't my cup of tea. I think the sort of soft-funk/soft-jazz failed to grip me in any way. It's all a bit easy listening.
Aw, I thought you'd get it. You'll be there one day, li'l buddy.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Reel Big Fish, "Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album," 2006

1.Trendy – 4 stars
2.Everything Sucks – 5 stars
3.The Bad Guy – 4 stars
4.Maximum Swearing – N/A
5.Ban The Tube Top – 5 stars
6.She's Famous Now – 4 stars
7.Drinkin' – 4 stars
8.Boys Don't Cry – 5 stars
9.I Want Your Girlfriend to be My Girlfriend Too – 4 stars
10.Dateless Losers – 3 stars
11.The Set Up – 3 stars
12.Somebody Hates Me – 4 stars
13.Valerie – 5 stars
14.Talkin 'Bout a Revolution – 3 stars
15.Beer – 5 stars
16.Take On Me – 5 stars
17.S.R. (The Many Versions Of) – 5 stars
18.Kiss Me Deadly – 4 stars
19.So Much For Rock and Roll – 4 stars
20.The 90's – N/A
21.She Has a Girlfriend Now – 5 stars
22.The Kids Don't Like It/In The Pit – 4 stars
23.The Fire – 3 stars
24.A Little Doubt Goes a Long Way – 4 stars
25.I'm Trying to be Funny – N/A
26.A-W-E-S-O-M-E – 4 stars
27.Turn The Radio Off – 3 stars
28.Where Have You Been – 4 stars
29.Good Thing – 5 stars
30.Your Guts (I Hate 'Em) – 3 stars
31.Nothin' – 3 stars
32.Best Band Ever – N/A
33.Don't Start A Band – 4 stars
34.A Fond Adieu – N/A
35.Sell Out – 5 stars

Though this may not follow some people's rules of the ranks, it just can't be absent from my list. They just need that live atmosphere and interactive banter between songs. It takes them to another level. The many versions of Suburban Rhythm is just hilarious. That and the music just sounds better and big ska bands just need to be taken in as a live act, they aren't meant to be recorded. The "N/A" tracks aren't songs, they are banter between band members, essential but not really gradeable. This is the first of 3 live albums on my list. Not all the songs are available online, so my selection was limited.

"Ban the Tube Top"

"A-W-E-S-O-M-E"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0nIAnj424
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Black Sabbath - Paranoid - 1970

"Hand of Doom"

"Rat Salad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrfaf3r7Dok

"Planet Caravan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2SDFx95NQ

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.23

englishozzy Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Californication" - Good record. Certainly for me the end of an era for RHCP. By the way was ok, but this was their last album which I truly enjoyed. Lots of potential hit singles on the record and a nice balance of styles.

Geezer Reel Big Fish, "Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album" - Maybe it's just me, but when I've seen ska bands live they have been some of the most lifeless gigs I've ever witnessed. I know they shouldn't be, and maybe it's just the environment I've seen them in, but man it's deathly. I think I saw these at a festival once and it was the same case. This sounded better, though to be honest it's generally not a genre I'm particularly enthusiastic about.

Leestu Nirvana, “In Utero” - Very good album, and indeed a contender for my own list. Great to see Frances Farmer selected too, a personal favourite of my own.

NSpan Black Sabbath, "Paranoid" - I knew this would come up at some point during your countdown. Only question is how many more Sabbath records to come. I guess time will tell, but this is certainly my favourite of theirs, though their debut is fantastic.

numbersix Mogwai, “Come On Die Young” - Strangely enough a Mogwai record I don't own. Very nice, as I have come to expect from the band. Really loved the second track, it just had this sombre atmosphere which really struck home. Beautiful stuff.

Ron Burgundy Tool, "Aenima" - I think I mentioned previously I bought Undertow on the back of Sober, and individually I like a lot of Tool songs, but I haven't really been won over on the overall record. I dunno, many of the tracks just don't seem to offer something different, they just all have this same kind of structure which is fine individually, but when you hear it 6, 7, or 8 times in a row I just lose concentration. Maybe this record will be different, but on this showing, maybe not - it just felt like I'd heard it all before.

transformers Rage Against the Machine, "The Battle of Los Angeles" - Man, this is a popular record. I don't have this record, but with the number of tracks played from it I feel as though I know it already! Not bad, I liked the first track quite a bit. It had a good hook and kept me interested.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.22

englishozzy
Ash, "1977"
, 1996

The first official album released by Ash, received multiple plays as I was heading to and from college. Ash is a band I can listen to at any time no matter what frame of mind i'm in, their catchy rock tunes a killer for me.

"Kung Fu"

"Lose Control"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyC3wf8FQUg

Geezer
To Be Added At A Later Date

Leestu
Pink Floyd, “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn”
, 1967

I tried to refrain from picking Interstallar Overdrive (mainly for Six’s sake) but I just couldn’t do it. I love the song. So Six I suggest you skip it and listen to Flaming instead. You still probably won’t like it but at least it’s shorter.

“Lucifer Sam”

“Interstellar Overdrive”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5t7Y_BYIM
“Flaming”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVpdk5xKe4

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Jeff Buckley, “Grace”
, 1994

This is more of a nostalgia pick than any other record in my List. But I spent a lot of the 90s playing this over and over. Sadly, I only heard of Buckley the week he died, when the DJ honoured him by playing the magnificent cover of Hallelujah which became Buckley’s signature tune. I picked up this album on the back of that one listen, and fell in love with a rich and emotive record.

Listening back to it now, there’s a naivety in Buckley’s music and lyrics, but the beauty nevertheless remains. What still impresses is Buckley’s ability to capture elements of diverse and disparate genres. He’s got the voice of a great jazz singer, but sings like he’s blasting out classic Motown. He dirties this up with his guitar style, which can be delicate (just like his father), rough, and at times quite experimental. His death was a real tragedy, not a story of the torment of fame, but rather being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I still wonder what kind of music he would have made if still around. No doubt it would have changed music.

"Grace"

"Mojo Pin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CI6MMqaxzs

Ron Burgundy
Faith No More, "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime"
, 1995

"The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies"

"The Last To Know"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNrj43GZ8c

silversurfer
Manic Street Preachers, “Generation Terrorists”
, 1992

I hold a very special place in my heart for the Manics. They were the first band I became truly obsessed over, picking up this record at the age of 11 and wearing eyeliner and DIY clothing in my homage to Richey Edwards for about 9 straight years. They were the first band to truly excite me, emerging during a rather stale era in the British music scene. They were very provocative, and this caused some to hate them with a passion, throwing things at them in gigs, while others, myself included, ADORED THEM. I remember catching their performance of Stay Beautiful on Top Of The Pops with their tight white jeans and stylish hair, they were a band who could capture the imagination of the British youth, and with their mix of The Clash's punk attitude with Guns N Roses' riffs, I had never, nor have I ever, been more excited by music. Generation Terrorists may have gone down as a failure, in terms of commerical output at least (following the band's claims that they would sell 16 million records then split), and maybe as a debut double album it was a little too ambitious, but for me it's always been a testament for what music can aspire to. The band reached for the skies and in doing so I caught a glimpse of the magic of rock n roll.

Throughout it's eighteen tracks, the band constantly switch between slogans which provide a testament to wasted youth and a critique of global capitalism, and as they move schizophrenically within these two realms they present some wonderful rock anthems interspersed with moments of bruised beauty. It's not a perfect album, not in the slightest, but I can sit, jump around and scream my heart out to each and every one of these songs, and I've been doing so for over 20 years now. Anyone wanting to find a reason why rock n roll is so important, just listen to this record, it's the record that keeps the music industry's heart still beating.

"You Love Us"

"Motorcycle Emptiness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gavcjNniIvk
Fuck it, many of you have probably already heard Motorcycle Emptiness, so I'm giving you another two, I literally couldn't choose between these four tracks, and they ALL need to be heard.
"Spectators of Suicide"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFa-CJCbIs
"Stay Beautiful"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM_oov3dU6A

transformers
Death, "Symbolic"
, 1995

"Crystal Mountain"

"Symbolic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp60IX_jFQ

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.22

englishozzy Ash, "1977" Great record, I tried to squeeze this in my own countdown but it just missed the cut. For a time during my teens I'd listen to this band non-stop. I think Traile is a fantastic EP, and they followed it up with this, my favourite, while Nu-Clear Sounds and Free All Angels are also very good. Never really been interested in anything of theirs after that, but for a while I adored this band. Good choice of song too, tough I perhaps would have chosen maybe Goldfinger and Angel Interceptor, or Darkside/Lightside. So many great tracks!

Leestu Pink Floyd, “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn” - Great record, probably my favourite Floyd, with songs such as Astonomy Domine, Luifer Sam and Interstellar Overdrive all fantastic. I would have been very interested to see what the band could have produced with a few more years of Barrett's contributions.

numbersix Jeff Buckley, “Grace” - Man, this is a good day. Awesome album, Totally blew me away, and my preconceptions, on first listen. His styles opened up my mind to other genres purely because of his own takes on them. One of the best singer songrwriters of our generation. 'Sketches' never had the same impact on me as this did, and maybe for me it was a one-off record, but you're right, I would have loved to hear what was to come from this guy.

Ron Burgundy Faith No More, "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime" - I only own The Real Thing and Angel Dust, so believed this is new to me. However, when listening I definitely recognised the chorus to the song, maybe I heard it during a gig I saw (fantastic live act, btw), while the second song was cool too. Good picks, will look out for this record.

transformers Death, "Symbolic" - Sorry buddy, just once again didn't appeal. Too loud and angry.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sorry for getting behind, Surf. I'll get back on track today.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Pixies - Bossanova (1990)

I would explain this further, but it's become obvious that a clear consensus exists:

We all agree that Bossanova is the Pixies' best LP.

Case closed, I guess.

"Velouria"

"Rock Music"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30hFJ-T0zw

"Dig for Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKCztmBZtc

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Californication is probably the best of their later career. I've a soft spot for those lads from Northern Ireland. It's a fun record. Except for the CD's hidden track, which is of the band recording themselves vomiting.

Geez: Reel Big Fish don't grab me by the gills. They may have some decent hooks and tunas but I just want somefin more.

Leetsu: Eh... I was all determind to go in with an open mind with Pink Floyd. The first song was okay. The second song started off good, with its swinging 60s rock, but it just lost me with endless diversions. Again, I do like long and complex songs, but I guess stitching together a load of moments I'm not crazy about individually is never going to make the overall experience much better. Good picks for In Utero. Actually they're 2 of my favourites.

NSpan: You're right, it is the greatest Pixies album. From the 90s. And Paranoid is a deserved classic. I still must check out the albums around it.

Ron B: Tool and Faith No More. Both 90s rock acts that can get really heavy but still knock out a decent tune, although in very different ways. Both decent to my ears.

SS: I never ended up buying Deserter's Songs, even though it was a huge breakout album for them. Holes is a really lovely song. As for Generation Terrorists, it's a real blast of nostalgia for me. Some great tunes. You Love Us was in my head all day after listening to it. I do think it's a very young and naive record, and their next two albums were a step up.

Tranny: They were both okay. The RATM albums sounds the least interesting to me. I liked some of the music and rhythm shifts of Death, but overall it didn't grab me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:SS: I never ended up buying Deserter's Songs, even though it was a huge breakout album for them. Holes is a really lovely song. As for Generation Terrorists, it's a real blast of nostalgia for me. Some great tunes. You Love Us was in my head all day after listening to it. I do think it's a very young and naive record, and their next two albums were a step up.
While there are some decent tracks on Gold Against The Soul, I've always considered it a lesser Manics record, and probably only rank it alongside something like Lifeblood or Send Away The Tigers. There are at least five Manics records better than that. And Generation Terrorists is well within that pack.

And that hidden 'track' on 1977 has sent me close to the edge on numerous occassions. Not the most pleasant end to a record, though it does capture the boys during their teenage years, and it's kind of cute in that respect, I guess!
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 24th, 2013, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:For Slint, wow, you had to choose a 9 minute song, or are they all that long? Definitely an underground independent sound, is Pavement (havent heard much from them) a good comparison? The Smiths just isnt my cup of tea, i guess the big reason you and six like their music is the lyrics? Like Bob Dylan. And Mercury Rev is quite emotional, i didnt mind it. Thought the videoclip of the balloons letting go was really suitable. give ya a 5.5 avg
Not all of Slint's songs are that long, though they do rely heavily on a slow build up with waves of emotions flowing from the guitars. I wouldn't compare them to Pavement at all, completely different sounds and Pavement's lyrics are of much greater prominence, in my opinion. Talking about lyrics, Morrisey's words are of course a major contribution to The Smiths work, but without Johnny Marr's guitar work I wouldn't have even close to the amout of affection I hold for them.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote:The Pixies - Bossanova (1990)

I would explain this further, but it's become obvious that a clear consensus exists:

We all agree that Bossanova is the Pixies' best LP.

Case closed, I guess.
Ah you young 'uns and your crazy whacked out beliefs! :roll: I don't try to understand I just smile. :lol:

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Hell - 6/10
Jeff Buckley - Grace - 7/10
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime - 6/10
Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists - 6/10
Death - Symbolic - 6/10
The Pixies - Bassanova - 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"