Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #8) #30-#2

Post by Geezer »

Dropkick Murphys, "Blackout" (2003)

1.Walk Away – 5 stars
2.Worker's Song – 4 stars
3.The Outcast – 4 stars
4.Black Velvet Band – 4 stars
5.Gonna Be A Blackout Tonight – 3 stars
6.World Full of Hate – 3 stars
7.Buried Alive – 4 stars
8.The Dirty Glass – 5 stars
9.Fields of Athenry – 5 stars
10.Bastards on Parade – 4 stars
11.As One – 4 stars
12.This Is Your Life – 4 stars
13.Time To Go – 5 stars
14.Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced – 5 stars

This really just gets harder and harder. These are like my children. I hate to just cut them off the list. It's so hard to choose between this and the next few albums on the list, they are almost interchangeable at the position. But I guess that's what happens when you get into the top 25. I love this band with all my heart.

"The Dirty Glass"

"Fields of Athenry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10agPj0Vzu4
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy wrote:Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Hell
Interesting slip..
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.21

englishozzy
New Found Glory, "New Found Glory"
, 2000

An American punk-rock band that has had a storied career without really ever breaking into the mainstream. Their raw debut self-titled album still remains my favourite.

"Hit or Miss (Waited Too Long)"

"Dressed to Kill"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0qyYtcJb4

Geezer
To Be Added At A Later Date

Leestu
The Smiths, “Strangeways, Here We Come”
, 1987

“A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours”

“Death of a Disco Dancer”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Nk8qObWe3f0

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Red House Painters, “Red House Painters”
, 1993

Having not heard The Replacements before, I was blown away by how unique these guys sounded when first coming upon them (through their Retrospective collection, whose demos make it worth owning still). Mark Kozelek and his band managed to make deeply intimate and often honest songs of heartbreak and frustrated masculinity, sounding like John Denver getting grungy (and eventually getting a label of its own: “sadcore”). Some songs leaned towards more traditional, folk-inflected ballads, and other songs were odd, sprawling epics full of off-notes and deliberately awkward timing.

This record is a magnificent 76-minute epic in which the prolific act gathers all their elements and impresses more than anything else they made (including a second album they released in the same year as this). Kozelek’s lyrics are so painful, the words of a man battling with the very notion of existing, of a man craving intimacy but not knowing what to do with it. The gentle sounds of the calmer songs rub shoulders with longer, harsher tunes, sometimes in the same song, making the whole album ebb and flow in a satisfyingly exhausting yet unforgettable manner.

"Take Me Out"

"Funhouse"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5LUla44ytA

Ron Burgundy
Daft Punk, "Discovery"
, 2001

"Aerodynamic"

"Short Circuit"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszmdpUtf0A

silversurfer
Led Zeppelin, “Led Zeppelin III”
, 1970

When I first heard this record I was instantly put off. As I've previously mentioned, I had approached Led Zeppelin's work in chronological order, and so after hearing the blues heavy I and II, this was a complete shift in gear for me. I wasn't sure what I'd just listened to on first listen. Did I like it even? Drawing further from the folk and acoustic genre than previously, at first it felt remarkably different from what had come before. And to an extent, it is. However, it also consists of the usual punchy guitar riffs, steady rhythm and astonishing vocals that helped Led Zeppelin became famous. And indeed, with further listens to their earlier records you can certainly hear their traditional folk inspiration beneath the blues rock. And bringing this side of their music to the fore has gradually lead me, over numerous listens and for this moment in time at least, to appreciate this record as my favourite from the band. It has obviously one of the best openers possible in Immigrant Song, but the record never lets up from there, weaving through all aspects of musical history; from the mystical Friends, the heartbreaking blues of Since I've Been Loving You, the growing and rolling build up of Leadbelly's Gallows Pole, and the tender folk of Tangerine and That's The Way. At times it's quite an intimate record, at other moments it's a thrilling rock stomp. But its always thoroughly entertaining and without a duff song to boot. This is just another record which provides further proof as to the impact of records which can grow on you.

"Gallows Pole"

"Since I've Been Loving You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK59nhh1tcg

transformers
In Flames, "Clayman"
, 2000

"Bullet Ride"

"Square Nothing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tNTIDSkio

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

IMPORTANT:

First off, you will know that the next round of picks will be the top 20. The TOP 20 people! Because we are reaching such a prestigious moment in the rundown I'd really like everyone on board. So first off, I am willing to wait, a week, 10 days so that everyone can get back up to date and send in some of the new batch. Ideally I'd like a batch of at least five so that there will be no hold ups and no missing spots in each position. Also, can I take this moment to ask NSpan and Geezer if they would pass this on to Aly and BleedBlackAndBlue, as it would be nice to finish the countdown with a full contingent. I'd also appreciate a concerted effort from those taking part to actually comment on these picks. I mean, these are the fantaverse's top 20 favourite albums of all time! I know some of you don't have much time, but I, and I assume most others taking part, really take something from the feedback, positive and negative. I assume most will be positive at this stage in the countdown, and that restraint will be taken considering many of these records are very close to each member. But if you can find the time, it would be nice to finish the countdown off with a bang!

Anyway, so as I said, I'm willing to take an extended hiatus so that this can be achieved, so if possible, can we try and achieve this, as it'd be a great way to finish this thing.

Enough of my prattling, now.

Album No.21

englishozzy
New Found Glory, "New Found Glory"
- I have Sticks and Stones somewhere, but I think I may have listened to that record on maybe only a handful of occasions. I bought it on the back of My Friends Over You, but quickly found I just wasn't a fan of the punk pop genre. I can see the appeal, their songs have a fairly simplistic approach which works and you can imagine college kids loving it. It's very fun stuff, but it's just not for me. Didn't realise I knew any of their other songs but the first one's chorus rang a bell so I guess maybe it was played in the rock club I used to go to when I was younger. Sane with that opening riff on the second track. Funny how you find songs you think you've never heard suddenly become very familiar!

Geezer Dropkick Murphys, "Blackout" (No.22) - I know you love this band and this style, but it just doesn't appeal. It sounds like a punkier version of The Pogues. I'm sure with lots of beers in your belly and a big singalong audience it would be fun enough. But then I'm anti-social so it'd probably bring me out in hives...

Leestu The Smiths, “Strangeways, Here We Come” - Considering my love for The Smiths, I don't actually own this record. I know most of the songs off the record, but I think this has served as a reminder to go pick this up at the soonest opportunity. From the songs I can recall which are on this record, I think there was certainly an indicator or two at what was to shortly follow it's release, not that it affected the quality of the songs, just in terms of the lyrics and perhaps a more subtle approach to the music than previously, maybe.

numbersix Red House Painters, “Red House Painters” - Loved it! Magnificent, I love it when you find a record like this that becomes a must have. I'm gonna be trawling youtube for the rest of the day now listening to more from this album. I think you may have posted a Red House Painters song in that countdown, can't particularly recall, but if you did, I think both of these songs blow it away. The first was very gentle, but graceful, heartfelt and lovely. The second started quite sorrowful, but transformed into something really aggressive which was fascinating, I really need to get this album.

Ron Burgundy Daft Punk, "Discovery" - While I don't own this record and don't imagine ever doing so, I have to admit these guys just have that instinctive knack for writing damn catchy music. Always cool to listen to individually, so always brings a smile to my face.

transformers In Flames, "Clayman" - Despite the vocals I didn't mind this. I think the lulls between the choruses helped a bit as it gave you a moment to catch your breath, but it was fun. Second song didn't appeal nearly as much. Sounded like a kind of imitation of Metallica, but just didn't work for me.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Beach Boys - Smile - 1967

I wrote about 1,500 words on this album--and then I lost the file. Here's a quick recap:

The 1960s... innovative... influential... The Beatles... Revolver... Envy... Genius... Brilliance... Conceptual... Sgt. Pepper... Oh boy!... Mental Breakdown... fuuuck.

"Our Prayer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y

"Heroes and Villains"

"Look (Song for Children)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4CsQXzN1o

"Good Vibrations"
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

NSpan wrote:
Interesting slip..
It was early hours of the morning, give me a break haha
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Pop punk just isn't my thing, especially when they're this late in the game and seem to be riding on coattails

Geez: Missed your last pick. But Dropkick Murphys aren't for me. Do they do anything else but sing songs about drinking and do pub band versions of Irish ballads?

Leetsu: Like you I never actually bought this record. Not sure why. I liked the songs you posted and the others I know (like Last Night I Dreamt...). Actually it reminded me a lot of early Radiohead, who must have been directly inspired by them.

NSpan: Ah, THE lost classic of popular music. I took a chance and picked up the Smile Sessions (just the 1-disc edition) and boy was I treated to a wealth of music. There's a whole lot of great stuff there. Listening to how the pieces work together and apart I couldn't help but feel that if the music industry expectations were a little more relaxed (an album every year?), if Brian's band had been a little more understanding, and if Brian had been a tad less crazy, this could have been one of the greatest albums of all time. It feels more mature than Pet Sounds, yet still packs an emotional punch. Van Dyke Parks's additions are the most interesting, with some powerful and tricky lyrics. Surfs Up is now one of my favourite songs of all time. Heroes and Villians and Cabin Essence have a mystique to them. Yet.... I can't see the album, I can't put the pieces together. It's lost in the ether. You summarised your 1500 essay using a few words, but for me the main one should be "tragic".

SS: I've been digging all the Led Zepp albums picked by y'all so far. This didn't have the same impact, perhaps because I'm becoming used to their sound. I liked these tunes, but I think I'll explore later albums first.

Ron B: More fun stuff from Daft Punk.

Tranny: New metal (or nu metal) doesn't even have the interesting music to enjoy before and betwen the grating vocals. Sorry!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

30-21 Recap

englishozzy
30. Oasis, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory", 1995
29. Rise Against, "The Sufferer and the Witness", 2006
28. Madness, "One Step Beyond", 1979
27. Metallica, "Master of Puppets", 1986
26. Led Zeppelin, "Led Zeppelin I", 1969
25. Blink-182, "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket", 2001
24. R.E.M., "Automatic for the People", 1992
23, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Californication", 1999
22. Ash, "1977", 1996
21. New Found Glory, "New Found Glory", 2000

Geezer
30. Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon", 1973
29. The Ramones, "Rocket To Russia", 1977
28. Incubus, "Make Yourself", 1999
27. Against Me!, "Searching for a Former Clarity", 2005
26. Lucero, "Tennessee", 2002
25. Lit, "A Place in the Sun", 1999
24. Pearl Jam, "Ten", 1991
23, Reel Big Fish, "Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album," 2006
22. Dropkick Murphys, "Blackout", 2003
21. Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary", 2001

Leestu
30. The Velvet Underground, “The Velvet Underground”, 1969
29. The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Darklands”, 1987
28. The Lemonheads, “Come on Feel the Lemonheads”, 1993
27. Sonic Youth, “Dirty”, 1992
26. Dinosaur Jr., “Where You Been”, 1993
25. The Pogues., “If I Should Fall From Grace With God”, 1988
24. Joy Division, “Closer”, 1980
23, Nirvana, “In Utero”, 1993
22. Pink Floyd, “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn”, 1967
21. The Smiths, “Strangeways, Here We Come”, 1987

NSpan
30. The Warlocks, "Phoenix", 2002
29. Oingo Boingo, "Om
28. Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Green River", 1969
27. B-52s, "The B-52s", 1979
26. The Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds", 1966
25. James Gang, "Yer Album", 1969
24. Steely Dan, "Aja", 1977
23, Black Sabbath, Paranoid, 1970
22. The Pixies, "Bossanova", 1990
21. The Beach Boys, "Smile", 1967

numbersix
30. The Beach Boys, “Pet Sounds”, 1966
29. Sun Kil Moon, “Ghosts of the Great Highway”, 2003
28. Tom Waits, “Bone Machine”, 1992
27. Low, “Secret Name”, 1999
26. Arvo Part, “Tabula Rasa”, 1977
25. Interpol, “Turn on the Bright Lights”, 2002
24. The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”, 1985
23, Mogwai, “Come On Die Young”, 1998
22. Jeff Buckley, “Grace”, 1994
21. Red House Painters, “Red House Painters”, 1993

Ron Burgundy
30. The Beatles, "The Beatles (The White Album)", 1967
29. Radiohead, "In Rainbows", 2007
28. Rage Against the Machine, "Rage Against the Machine", 1992
27. Air, "Talkie Walkie", 2004
26. Pixies, "Doolittle", 1989
25. The Presets, "Apocalypso", 2008
24. DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing", 1996
23, Tool, "Aenima", 1996
22. Faith No More, "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime", 1995
21. Daft Punk, "Discovery", 2001

silversurfer
30. Led Zeppelin, "Led Zeppelin", 1969
29. At The Drive-In, "Relationship Of Command", 2000
28. The Velvet Underground, "Loaded", 1970
27. Joy Division, "Closer", 1980
26. Queens Of The Stone Age, "Rated R", 2000
25. Slint, "Spiderland", 1991
24. The Smiths, “Meat Is Murder”, 1985
23, Mercury Rev, “Deserters Songs”, 1998
22. Manic Street Preachers, “Generation Terrorists”, 1992
21. Led Zeppelin, “Led Zeppelin III”, 1970

transformers
30. The Dillinger Escape Plan, "Option Paralysis",2010
29. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970
28. Killswitch Engage, "The End of Heartache", 2004
27. The Doors, "The Doors", 1967
26. Death, "Scream Bloody Gore, 1987
25. Iron Maiden, "Powerslave", 1984
24. Gojira, "From Mars To Sirius", 2005
23, Rage Against the Machine, "The Battle of Los Angeles", 1999
22. Death, "Symbolic", 1995
21. In Flames, "Clayman", 2000

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote: Geez: Missed your last pick. But Dropkick Murphys aren't for me. Do they do anything else but sing songs about drinking and do pub band versions of Irish ballads?
If there was anything else worth doing, I'm sure they would ;)

No but yes, they do. Sometimes they sing about hockey, the Red Sox, boxing and the corruption of our government.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:Leetsu: Like you I never actually bought this record. Not sure why. I liked the songs you posted and the others I know (like Last Night I Dreamt...). Actually it reminded me a lot of early Radiohead, who must have been directly inspired by them.
I'm sure you mean like Surfer. Me - I got this record the week it came out and to this day I still remember the anticipation of listening to it after the llooooonng 45 min drive home from the city (local record stores wouldn't have it in stock). Surf I think you are right about the hint of things to come - check out the lyrics to Paint a Vulgar Picture....and to both of you - get this record! It IS worth it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Alkaline Trio, "From Here To Infirmary"(2001)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c5RlL1pxL.jpg

1.Private Eye – 5 stars
2.Mr. Chainsaw – 5 stars
3.Take Lots With Alcohol – 4 stars
4.Stupid Kid – 5 stars
5.Another Innocent Girl – 4 stars
6.Steamer Trunk – 5 stars
7.You're Dead – 5 stars
8.Armageddon – 5 stars
9.I'm Dying Tomorrow - 5 stars
10.Bloodied Up – 4 stars
11.Trucks and Trains – 4 stars
12.Crawl – 4 stars

Alkaline Trio's third album, to me still stands as their best. The album that brought them into the consciousness of the scene, it doesn't have a bad track on it. I had heard bits and pieces from them for years but never really fell in love til I listened to this album front to back. From then, I was hooked. It's so hard to choose tracks, so I'll go with these three:

"Stupid Kid"

"Private Eye"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeTOS2VBVw
"You're Dead"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXY_a4bjb0

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote:
Interesting slip..
One might say it was a Floydian slip.

(strokes beard)

Have A Cigar and tell me about Matilda Mother.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Bravo, sir, bravo.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If you want to finish off the top 20 with an extra voice, I'd be willing to contribute my top 20 albums. These are albums I'm truly passionate about so it's worth a bit of effort. I guarantee I won't have time to comment on everyone's picks though. Choosing which tracks to highlight and tracking down YouTube videos is probably all the time I can spare.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

You're more than welcome, John. I've always been open to contributors at any point during the countdown, so an extra voice will be great. Same goes for anyone else if you want to give the top 20 a go. And don't worry about contributing to the debate. I think it would be nice to hear as many opinions as possible, but I'm not interested in forcing a rule. Anything you can offer is very welcome.

Anyway, I might look to give the countdown a break until we get back from London in a couple of weeks. So maybe look at 12th March to kick off the top 20? That suit everyone so that they can get their lists in order and send at least five picks to me?