Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #7) #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #7) #40-#3

Post by NSpan »

Geezer Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind", 1997
These guys never quite won me over... though I don't hear anything particularly off-putting in the songs you shared.

Leestu R.E.M., “Document”, 1987
I don't own this particular album, but I dig the tracks you showcased.

numbersix Sigur Ros, "( )", 2002
Very nice--especially the second track--but it's hard to get into ambient-style music when the sun is still shining. I might have to revisit it this later.

Ron Burgundy Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral", 1994
As a kid, this was big in the development of my own musical tastes. Amazingly, it still holds up today.

silversurfer Weezer, "Pinkerton", 1996
I wonder when they'll cash in and simply release Songs from the Black Hole using cleaned up outtakes. At this point, you can pretty much assemble it using official releases (Pinkerton Deluxe + Rivers' home recordings). And, as you mentioned, there are plenty of bootlegs that probably give a pretty good representative of what it would've sounded/looked like. Might as well mount a marketing campaign and do it up legit. Hell, I'd buy it.

transformers Rage Against the Machine, "Evil Empire", 1996
I bought this the week it came out. While I haven't found myself listening to it much nowadays, I still have a soft spot for it. Good stuff.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Very nice--especially the second track--but it's hard to get into ambient-style music when the sun is still shining. I might have to revisit it this later.
Get yourself a sunshade and a dollop of sombreness and you'll be right there.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind - 10/10
R.E.M. - Document - 9/10
Sigur Ros - () - 7/10
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral - 10/10
Weezer - Pinkerton - 7/10
Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire - 6/10
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo - 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Silverchair, "Neon Ballroom", 1998

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/p ... jfkbad.jpg

Although Silverchair's most pinnacle moment would be with Frogstomp, I prefer listening to this album as it is probably more consistent than their debut.

Anthem for the Year 2000

Point of View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGy-569IX88

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.38

englishozzy Silverchair, "Neon Ballroom", 1998
I contest that this is a more consistent record than Frogstomp. It's a good album, it has a very strong start with some of my favourite Silverchair songs in Emotion Sickness, Anthem, Ana's Song and Miss You Love, but it trails off badly in the second half, with only Black Tangled Heart a favourite. Frogstomp was a record full of youthful enthusiasm which I enjoy from start to finish every time, and with all four of my favourite songs of theirs on there (Israel Son, Pure Massacre, Suicidal Dream and Findaway), it makes for a more emphatic listen. Still, this is a much more anthemic and epic record than what had come prior, maybe a little too polished (and at times maybe even a little to Incubus-esque), but still their last really good album.

Geezer Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind", 1997
Can't particularly remember this being featured in the song countdown, but Motorcycle Driveby was certainly a better song than what I've heard previously from the band. I think I've always pictured them as very college rock who would fit as the soundtrack for some teen drama like One Tree Hill or The OC, and while they do fit to an extent with that analogy, it was infinitely more listenable then I expected. Who was it who listed this band earlier, as I'll have to relisten to see if those songs work better this time round.

Leestu R.E.M., “Document”, 1987
Another record already showcased on my own list. Good song choices, although I was hoping anyone featuring this record would have gone with Welcome To The Occupation after my own choices, but it's such a strong record you can't really go wrong. I do love it when your hard earned money goes on to be spent on one of your most prized records, it's one of the moments you never forget.

NSpan The Byrds, "Sweet Heart Of The Rodeo", 1968
Hmm, I'm not sure. I want to like it, but something's holding me back. Maybe it's because it does indeed straddle too many genres that I just can't get it to click, it really is kind of Hippie/Country music. Maybe a few more listens will help it appeal more, but for the moment it just doesn't have that immediacy.

numbersix Sigur Ros, "( )", 2002
I have this record, I really need to listen to it more often, as it's a quite beautiful record. I think I just end up picking up Takk every time I decide to listen to Sigur Ros, when they have so much more I could and should be listening to.

Ron Burgundy Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral", 1994
Another from my list, and I do like being able to pick your songs, as it ensures I get to pick an extra two tracks that I really love!

transformers Rage Against the Machine, "Evil Empire", 1996
Another record I own but rarely listen to. I think most of the time I enjoy People Of The Sun but soon after my interest wears off and I just decide to listen to their debut again. Not that it's bad, just that their debut is SO much better.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.37

englishozzy
System of a Down, "Mezmerize"
, 2005

The first of a double album which turned out to be SOAD's last. Least they went out on a high.

"Old School Hollywood"

"B.Y.O.B"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUzd9KyIDrM

Geezer
The Offspring, "Smash"
, 1994

1.Time To Relax – N/A
2.Nitro (Youth Energy) – 5 stars
3.Bad Habit – 4 stars
4.Gotta Get Away – 5 stars
5.Genocide – 4 stars
6.Something To Believe In – 4 stars
7.Come Out and Play – 5 stars
8.Self Esteem – 5 stars
9.It'll Be A Long time – 3 stars
10.Killboy Powerhead – 3 stars
11.What Happened To You – 4 stars
12.So Alone – 3 stars
13.Not The One – 4 stars
14.Smash – 4 stars

The album that launched The Offspring into pop-punk superstardom. Easily their best work and some of the finest the genre has ever produced. It's also credited as the best selling independent record label release of all time. Nitro (Youth Energy) is just a killer way to kick off an album.

"Nitro (Youth Energy)"

"Self Esteem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjzBHUdsI

Leestu
Pop Will Eat Itself, “This Is the Day… This is the Hour… This is This!”
, 1989

Pop Will Eat Itself is an aptly named band. With a great sound created from some guitar rock riffs, a bit of sampling, some rap and late 80s dance elements, and pop culture references galore. This is a very listenable, fun, feel good, party album that I have never really stopped listening to.

“Can You Dig It?”

“Not Now James, We’re Busy”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHsBSVgPSJQ

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Songs: Ohia, “Didn’t It Rain”
, 2002

Sadness sells. Just look at how the emo genre packages it as a genre trait to make teens believe it’s real enough to mean something. Admittedly, its genuine nature is a blurry line, as one of my favourite bands, Joy Division, are seen as glorifying their misery as much as expunging it (more on this later). What makes this one of my favourite alt-country records of all time is how immediate the war with depression is made. This is a concept record about that very struggle, performed with delicacy and simplicity, but sung out of a necessity to deal with Jason Molina’s inner battle one that could potentially be between life and death.

This is a powerful record, no doubt, and in some ways it was enough to pull the singer out of his emotional rut. He went on to form Magnolia Electric Company, and sing songs that are more at ease. Ironically, I don’t find them as strong as what’s on here, but that only proves the benefit of expression in the face of clinical depression.

"Two Blue Lights"

"Blue Chicago Moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWcv5J-iayQ

Ron Burgundy
Dr. Dre, "2001"
, 1999

"What's The Difference"

"Forgot About Dre"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5a93wABHNM

silversurfer
The Strokes, "Is This It"
, 2001

I can still remember my first encounter with The Strokes. I was attending a music festival in the UK when I saw a couple of guys with the band name emblazoned on the front of their T Shirts, and was instantly intrigued. I hadn't heard of the band prior to this but something drew me in. I'm not sure what as the logo itself was fairly non-descript, and maybe that was it, it's ability to lure you in to discover more about this mysterious band. Needless to say on returning home from the festival a few days later I saw the infamous cover pasted on the front of a music store I frequented, and was aghast. It was like they had hired Spinal Tap to develop their art work. But it was a brilliant marketing ploy, and had me and many other millions intrigued into what these guys could do. Was it all a bit of marketing mojo, or was their something to back it up? Thankfully, what was presented was one of the most immediate and exciting records I'd ever heard. It was nothing particularly new, harking back to the likes of Television and other bands of the 70s and early 80s in a mix of rock n roll and dance music, but at the same time it was instantly fresh. I would spend the next couple of years bouncing around to the likes of Last Nite and Hard To Explain at my local rock club, and spent my days listening to this, Weezer, The White Stripes and Ash on my way to university. It was such an intoxicating record, one which embraced everything great about being young, and it was the spearhead of a new movement in rock which brought the genre back into the public eye again (for better or worse). It's a shame the band were never able to recapture this energy and excitement of this record, but such is the brilliance of this record, that would always have been a big ask.

"Soma"

"Hard To Explain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkm6h6uq0k

transformers
Outkast, "Stankonia"
, 2000

"Ms.Jackson"

"Gasoline Dreams"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHyijx3L1Q
Last edited by silversurfer19 on January 15th, 2013, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (1970)

My favorite solo-Beatle record by my favorite Beatle.

Side I & II
I'd Have You Anytime
My Sweet Lord
Wah-Wah
Isn't It a Pity (Version One)
What Is Life
If Not for You
Behind That Locked Door
Let It Down
Run of the Mill

Side III & IV
Beware of Darkness
Apple Scruffs
Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
Awaiting on You All
All Things Must Pass
I Dig Love
Art of Dying
Isn't It a Pity (Version Two)
Hear Me Lord

Side V & VI ("Apple Jam" bonus LP)
Out of the Blue
It's Johnny's Birthday
Plug Me In
I Remember Jeep
Thanks for the Pepperoni

"My Sweet Lord"

"Hear Me Lord" (song should auto-play... couldn't find a YouTube version!)
http://www.cs.mun.ca/~krystina/rels2812 ... eorge.html

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: The Silverchair stuff was okay, but I just can't get into System of a Down. I get that they're tongue-in-cheek but it's very hard to be a completely engaging band when you base your style on it.

Geez: It's not that I hate Third Eye Blind, it's just that they're really, really uninteresting ;). I had Smash when I was into Nirvana and desperately trying to find bands that sounded like them (I should have just bought the first three Wipers records). There's some good stuff on this but I kinda feel I grew out of them.

Leetsu: Two decent REM songs, though I think I prefer the stuff on Murmur. I remember Pop Will Eat Itself from some demo you got with the Playstation 1. I can't say the music really appealed to me. I suppose at the time they were quite brave in exploring the limits of studio sounds, but it does sound a bit dated. Sometimes that can work (a lot of modern acts deliberately try to sound dated in their production sound) but whenit comes to the 80s it can often turn me off entirely.

NSpan: The Harrison stuff didn't do much for me. My Sweet Lord is a very nice song, but the second just drifted past me. This sounds like the music of retirement in some ways. It's pleasant and relaxed. However, I was surprised and impressed by The Byrds record. Firstly, I had no idea Gram Parson played with them. But the music itself was really nice, a good blend of folk and country. Is this your new strategy. Like hiding a pill for your pet in a tasty treat you're trying to turn us on to country through these great hybrid records.

SS: Pinkerton is already on my list of albums to get. Those two songs didn't blow me away, but I think the entire package is more than the sum of its parts. I really like the debut from The Strokes. Lots of influences on sleeves, but it's a really enjoyable record. I still regret the decision to not see these guys live when they played a small venue during the summer of 2001.

Ron B: The NIN stuff was decent enough. I'll probably never buy one of his records, but your two selections were cool. I was familiar with both of those Dre songs but they both felt like they're from that side of rap I don't like... all tough guys bigging themselves up.

Tranny: Those two Rage songs sounded a lot like the first album, only not as good. Still, they were decent in themselves.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.37

englishozzy System of a Down, "Mezmerize", 2005
I don't know, I keep searching for that one good song on either this or Hypnotize that matches up to either their self titled record or Toxicity. I haven't found it yet. Not particularly horrible, just doesn't have the same impact as something like Sugar, Aerials, Chop Suey etc.

Geezer The Offspring, "Smash", 1994
Didn't know that little bit of trivia regarding it's record sales. Never really been a big fan of The Offspring, I like the odd single here and there, but never enough to warrant buying an album. Always liked Self Esteem, good riffs and was one we used to dance to when we went out to our local rock club. Wasn't that bothered by Nitro though.

Leestu Pop Will Eat Itself, “This Is the Day… This is the Hour… This is This!”, 1989
A band I've always known by name so nice to finally put a song to them. Sounded a little bit like Happy Mondays mixed with a little Beastie Boys maybe. I can see why you may like this, but didn't really appeal for me though.

NSpan George Harrison, "All Things Must Pass", 1970
I like My Sweet Lord, it's very pleasant, though that could also count as a criticism as I very rarely feel a deep desire to search out anything further from Harrison. It's all just quite pleasant, nothing particularly outstanding. Same I could say for all The Beatles solo work actually.

numbersix Songs: Ohia, “Didn’t It Rain”, 2002
I really enjoyed the Songs: Ohia song you played during the song countdown, enough to pick up Ghost Tropic. Haven't gotten around to fully explore it yet, but from what I can recall it was a very nice listen, much like this record seems to be. Enjoyed the second track particularly. Depression can be a very tough thing to deal with having known a few people suffer from it, but it also, in a positive from it, seems to channel something quite creatively brilliant from it. Look at the likes of Nick Drake or Elliot Smith, it can really be quite powerful. Not advocating depression as a positive, mind!

Ron Burgundy Dr. Dre, "2001", 1999
I've already pointed out that I'm not a fan of the genre, but I do remember both of these getting a bit of airplay when I was younger, and while I won't be rushing out to buy it, it was certainly listenable.

transformers Outkast, "Stankonia", 2000
This rap act I can actually like. There's a strong pop element to this record which makes it more appealing, especially so with the likes of Ms Jackson. It's just a song which burrows in your head such is it's immediacy and catchiness. Second track wasn't as great, but had a nice riff I guess.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.36

englishozzy
To Be Added At A Later Date

Geezer
Rise Against, "Siren Song of the Counter Culture"
, 2004

1.State of the Union – 3 stars
2.The First Drop – 4 stars
3.Life Less Frightening – 5 stars
4.Paper Wings – 5 stars
5.Blood to Bleed – 3 stars
6.To Them These Streets Belong – 5 stars
7.Tip the Scales – 4 stars
8.Anywhere But Here – 4 stars
9.Give it All – 5 stars
10.Dancing for Rain – 3 stars
11.Swing Life Away – 5 stars
12.Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated – 4 stars

This is a very important album for me. I bought it off the back of one song, Give It All. I actually saw the video for Give It All on MTV 2 back in the day and the song literally changed the course of my musical life. Without that song, and this album, who knows where my tastes would have gone, but this was a strikingly influential album in steering me towards the amount of modern punk that is on this list today. It's not their best album, but it is the one that launched them. They should have burned out by now, as their newest stuff is almost a caricature of what they started out as, but 3 of their first 4 albums still stand out amongst the all time greats, for me. This is certainly right there.

"Give It All"

"To Them These Streets Belong"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rV5W6oLbBs

Leestu
Mercury Rev, “Yerself Is Steam”
, 1991

Mercury Rev’s debut album of psychedelic noise pop. There were times when I virtually lost myself for an hour while listening to this trippy album.

”Syringe Mouth”

“Chasing a Bee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cr2HJn2k3Y

NSpan
Funkadelic, "Maggot Brain"
, 1971

Funkadelic transitions from soul/R&B to a fulfillment of their namesake... and they even make it look easy. Wait until you have ten minutes to spare and listen to Eddie Hazel's mesmerizing guitar-work on the title track. Go on, indulge yourself. That's right, kick off your shoes, put your feet up. Lean back and just enjoy the melodies. Even Surfer, our resident Undisco Kidd, can get to that.

1. "Maggot Brain"
2. "Can You Get to That"
3. "Hit It and Quit It"
4. "You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks"
5. "Super Stupid"
6. "Back in Our Minds"
7. "Wars of Armageddon"

"Can You Get to That?"

"Maggot Brain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

numbersix
Van Morrison, “Astral Weeks”
, 1968

Some records are not quite concepts, but more like moods. I tend to like my music intense, demanding to be drawn in. But there’s room for more prosaic moments. This record is like a warm afternoon, one in which you gently sip a whisky as the sun sets over the countryside. Of course, it’s also brimming with passion, as Van Morrison revels in exploring music as a solo artist, escaping the confines of his garage rock work of the mid 60s.

Van the Man incorporates the hippie folk stlye common in the UK music scene and adds a sort of gypsy romanticism that makes it unique. And he did it all as a rip 24 year old. The fucker.

"The Way Young Lovers Do"

"Ballerina"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB5N4meH9g

Ron Burgundy
Michael Jackson, "Thriller"
, 1999

"Thriller"

"Billie Jean"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

silversurfer
My Bloody Valentine, "Loveless"
, 1991

I was too young to hear My Bloody Valentine when they were releasing their sole two LP's (though numerous other releases were made available prior to their 1988 Isn't Anything), but I can still recall growing up seeing their name in NME a lot as a hugely influential band and their iconic covers always intrigued me. So late in the 90s I eventually got around to picking up Loveless. I was blown away, as their dream pop landscape with a background of Velvets/ Jesus And Mary Chain fuzz was so intoxicating. I didn't hear, never mind understand the lyrics under all the feedback, but the record created a kind of mythical atmosphere which I wanted to explore. There were so many fascinating layers to the record, as it is built up and up through some great production, however, buried underneath all this fuzz were some quite beautiful pop songs, and when taking the time to listen you can really discover something quite beautiful. Anyway, apparently I wasn't the only one infatuated with the band, as during the last decade we have seen numerous bands re-create this sound, and so the allure of this band will continue to pass on to each generation

"Loomer"

"When You Sleep"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU

transformers
High on Fire, "Blessed Black Wings"
, 2005

"Cometh Down Hessian"

"Devilution"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euALIidJYsA

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Six, you're on to me regarding the country music. Sadly, I only have one more entry on that agenda. Perhaps that'll be the one that turns the tide!
silversurfer19 wrote:I like My Sweet Lord, it's very pleasant,
numbersix wrote:My Sweet Lord is a very nice song, but the second just drifted past me.
Funny that "My Sweet Lord" got the comments--as I think "Hear Me Lord" blows it away. Don't get me wrong, I love both... but the first one is more deserving of the passive praise ("pleasant," "nice"). On the other hand, "Hear Me Lord" is quite engaging, imo. One of the best of the Beatles catalog (solo or otherwise).

Check out the original demo from the Get Back Sessions (it might draw attention to the song's core strengths):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2phzdUSzcU

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Good round. I can tell we're nearing that warm center of our collective musical libraries... where everybody feels very strongly for their picks. Looking at my own list, I'm surprised I managed to sort and order these albums. Once we crack the Top 20 (or so), the separating degrees of my appreciation become incredibly narrow. Depending on the day of the week, a lot of those could be interchangeable in terms of rank.

Geezer Rise Against, "Siren Song of the Counter Culture", 2004
Honestly, I dug both featured songs. The first seemed to have more going for it, but I was turned off by the sing-songy chorus. If all the songs were this good, I'd have no problem with the genre (albeit in small doses).

Leestu Mercury Rev, “Yerself Is Steam”, 1991
First track didn't work for me. But I liked what I heard on the second. A mix between Ween, Tripping Daisy, and early Flaming Lips. I've been curious about these guys. I might seek out a bit more.

numbersix Van Morrison, “Astral Weeks”, 1968
I was recently researching this album, trying to figure out why the heck it hasn't received the lavish "Deluxe Edition" (quality remastering, session outtakes/demos, related singles, etc.) that it clearly deserves. My conclusion? It's a conspiracy! Freemasons, probably.

Ron Burgundy Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
This album has always been so massively popular since I can remember that I've never been able to truly listen to it objectively. And it makes sense: I was two months old when it was released to universal acclaim and went on to be ever-present throughout the rest of my life. 30 years later, the hype is beginning to wane... maybe I'll give it a fresh listen!

silversurfer My Bloody Valentine, "Loveless", 1991
Great album. That first two seconds of "When You Sleep" is what I think of when I hear this band mentioned. During the Song Countdown, you helped foster my ever-growing appreciation for these guys. Thanks, mate!

transformers High on Fire, "Blessed Black Wings", 2005
I wasn't totally blown away, but--part way through listening--I realized that most of my usual complaints about metal don't really apply. I thought it had an odd mix for a modern metal album. A bit sludgy, but not necessarily in a bad way. Given preference, I'd probably go with higher highs and lower lows--but I liked the vocals being a bit buried. Does it sound this way on your CD copy?

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture - 9/10
Mercury Rev - Yerself is Steam - 6/10
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - 7/10
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - 6/10
Michael Jackson - Thriller - 9/10
Mu Bloody Valentine - Loveless - 7/10
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings - 5/10

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Billy Talent, "Billy Talent II", 2006

Introduced to this band by my sister-in-law and instantly got hooked on the unique harmonies from the lead singer and the rock sound.

Devil in a Midnight Mass

Surrender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPabKxzcy6o

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: These guys didn't really do a lot for me. Pretty much forgot them instantly.

Geez: There's something about these guys that doesn't bother me as much as most other pop-punk. Maybe it's the raw vocals. In the first song I think it was the music in the verses, though the choruses weren't great.

Leetsu: Like most people, I only really heard these guys when Deserters Songs came out. But I was never that interested in their indie psyche rock style. Nice to listen to.

NSpan: I enjoyed the first song. But as I listened to the second, I couldn't help but wonder where the funk was? This was more like Hendrix-inspired rock, or even early prog! Curious, I listened to some other songs in Youtube and the funk craving was sated.

Ron B: Having that extra month and a half on NSpan meant that I had some time to experience life without Thriller. And man, when it hit it really changed music. I do remember listening to this on cassette as a child, and enjoying the upbeat tunes. I'm sure if I listened to it properly I could value it in a sort of objective way, but I do enjoy the nostalgic feeling it gives.

SS: Ah, as I mentioned a while ago I think it was this record that actually prevented me from appreciating MBV. Don't get me wrong, there's some good songs on there (particularly Sometimes and Soon) but I feel the production totally overwhelmed the songs. Perhaps because what's beneath the production isn't that engaging in the first place. There's a dreaminess to that sound that's so pervasive that I think it prevents much sense of variety. Which is why I prefer Isn't Anything, which still has a sense of grit and live rawness to the songs.

Tranny: That first song wasn't bad for metal, even the vocals didn't grate. I also enjoyed those two Outkast songs. Deeply accessible.