Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #7) #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #7) #40-#3

Post by numbersix »

May I also suggest getting in touch with John L (or getting Geez to do it) and Alyson to see where they are. Even if they've no time perhaps they could post their Top 10 so we'll have one final round for all of us.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Surf, I'll send you my next pick today. In general, don't hold back on my account. I'll keep up either way.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.31

englishozzy
To Be Added At A Later Date

Geezer
The Who, "Who's Next"
, 1971

1.Baba O' Riley – 5 stars
2.Bargain – 5 stars
3.Love Ain't for Keeping – 3 stars
4.My Wife – 3 stars
5.The Song Is Over – 4 stars
6.Getting In Tune – 3 stars
7.Going Mobile – 4 stars
8.Behind Blue Eyes – 5 stars
9.Won't Get Fooled Again – 5 stars

Damn, this is really getting hard. This album is the best from one of the greatest bands of all time. The middle isn't the best I've ever heard, but that could just be based on how strong the front and back is! Damn those top two and bottom two tracks are brilliant, bookended by two of the all time greatest songs.

"Baba O'Riley"

"Won't Get Fooled Again"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Leestu
R.E.M., “Green”
, 1988

“You Are The Everything”

“The Wrong Child”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmd-QPKaQHQ&NR=1

NSpan
King Crimson, "Islands"
, 1971

More prog. Yay.

King Crimson's Islands came out the same year as Jethro Tull's Aqualung. The fact that the two albums sound nothing alike is just further proof that "prog" is merely the approach and not a genre or a descriptor of the music itself.

That said, this specific album is truly unique even within the umbrella term. Hell, it's unique within King Crimson's discography. I can honestly say that I've never heard anything like it before or since. At times, it's bizarre--but the oddities are not a central gimmick (as seen with The Residents). At times, it's beautiful... but there are a few jagged edges that almost seem to consciously keep the listener from getting too comfortable. The sounds range from modern-classical to sleazy tongue-in-cheek jazz-rock. The album's mix has always been a point of contention even among fans. It's one of the most sonically dynamic records on file. It has moments where unobtrusive instruments (piano, flute, oboe) tenderly flit about as if they were heard from the far end of a large concert hall. Then there are outbursts of lacerating vocals and booming guitar riffs... all accompanied by an unstoppable rhythm section consisting of bass guitar, an electric double bass, and a comprehensive drum configuration that included a vast array of percussive tools. Unless you had your stereo equalizer specifically set for this exact album, most listeners would find themselves constantly adjusting the knobs in order to hear everything (while, at once, avoiding a complete blowout of the speakers). The new mix by Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson (and overseen by Robert Fripp himself) is the definitive edition: the album finally gets the treatment it originally deserved--without any George Lucas-esque historical revisions.

side one
Formentera Lady
Sailor's Tale
The Letters

side two
Ladies of the Road
Prelude: Song of the Gulls
Islands

Note: the second song is a 13-minute suite (the song ends just after the 13:00 mark despite the track running to 16:09). No hard feelings if you aren't up for the whole thing. But, if you feel inclined, give the first few minutes a chance and see where it takes you. Also, play both selections LOUD.

"Ladies of the Road"

"Prelude: Song of the Gulls / Islands"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshzYezHjJI

numbersix
Leonard Cohen, “New Skin for the Old Ceremony”
, 1974

Lenny’s first three albums are considered classics. His biting lyrics mix well with the soothing guitar sounds to create the image of a troubadour of modern poetry. But for me this is by far his most interesting record. It’s a transition between his acoustic days and his sleazy, lounge music that he developed in the late 70s (most of which sounds horribly dated).

Here, Cohen saw the limitations of his previous records and introduces splashes of orchestral colour to elevate the album beyond its predecessors. This is most notable in the neo-folk of Who By Fire. And of course the lyrics are stunning, with Cohen delving deep into the agony of the male heart (and loins).

"There is a War"

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI7cB0CngJQ

Ron Burgundy
Dire Straits, "Brothers In Arms"
, 1985

"Money For Nothing"

"Brothers In Arms"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeCmY0DMM2E

silversurfer
Foo Fighters, "The Color And The Shape"
, 1997

While their debut record had some great songs on it, I don't think it was until The Color And The Shape was released that I truly felt Dave Grohl had stepped out of Kurt's shadow. The album is just a non stop hit machine, with the pain and passion from his divorce just prior to the release firmly evident throughout the record and giving the record a little more depth than its predecessor. But when I first came to this record during my mid teens what stunned me more was just how rocking the record was. It was the soundtrack to many a night out, and it is almost faultless in its execution of capturing that pure unadulterated joy of just rocking out.

"Up In Arms"

"Monkey Wrench"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKp5v588-Vs

transformers
Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory"
, 2000

"A Place for My Head"

"By Myself"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHqqImXXprE

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote: Geezer The Who, "Who's Next", 1971
1.Baba O' Riley – 5 stars
2.Bargain – 5 stars
3.Love Ain't for Keeping – 3 stars
4.My Wife – 3 stars
5.The Song Is Over – 4 stars
6.Getting In Tune – 3 stars
7.Going Mobile – 4 stars
8.Behind Blue Eyes – 5 stars
9.Won't Get Fooled Again – 5 stars
Glad to see "Bargain" and "Going Mobile" getting the recognition they deserve. Though, I must say, "My Wife" (written by John Entwistle) should be given an extra star (or at least one extra half-star). Sure, it just happens to be a personal favorite of mine... but, at very least, wouldn't you agree that it's in a different league than the paltry "Getting in Tune" ?

I may have asked before, but which other (proper) Who albums do you own?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like I said, Span, maybe if it weren't surrounded by a song in my top 5 and another in the top 100, I'd rate it higher. Sometimes immediate comparisons do matter in the context of an album. And remember, the rating system only has 5 different categories, so there can certainly be variance between 3 star songs. Yes, I believe My Wife is better than Getting In Tune, but I think the gap between the two is smaller than the gap between a song like My Wife and Going Mobile, if that makes sense.

And I have Who's Next, Tommy and Quadrophenia, but usually I either stick to listening to Who's Next or The Ultimate Collection best of.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:Like I said, Span, maybe if it weren't surrounded by a song in my top 5 and another in the top 100, I'd rate it higher. Sometimes immediate comparisons do matter in the context of an album. And remember, the rating system only has 5 different categories, so there can certainly be variance between 3 star songs. Yes, I believe My Wife is better than Getting In Tune, but I think the gap between the two is smaller than the gap between a song like My Wife and Going Mobile, if that makes sense.
Fair enough!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

http://www.cracked.com/article_20231_5- ... -them.html

^--there's a good entry about Weezer in this article that pertains to this countdown

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Placebo, "Without You I'm Nothing", 1998

An English Alt Rock band that has swung just under the radar for most of their career, this being the best of their albums.

Pure Morning

The Crawl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lERbebyM5q0
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NOT PART OF THE COUNTDOWN. IGNORE THE EMBEDDED VIDEOS IF YOU DON'T HAVE INTEREST

---

I'm fried today. Surf, I can send you the album title and band name for my next pick (#30) tonight--or we could wait and see what happens (which I would prefer).

This song feels appropriate today (just for fun):

I assume, perhaps, we're taking a weekend hiatus for people to catch up? Aly said she's going to submit her entire list (100-1) ASAP.

moi? I've just been... busy.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Not bad, though I prefer the stuff off their debut album a bit more, as this one feels a little staid in places.

Geez: Good to see a return to the classics. Pity the two Who songs were ones I'm already familiar with. I criticised prog for being excessive, but that problem applies to the Who as well. That said, there's some great riffs in Won't Get Fooled Again once I got past everything else. The Hendrix songs were top notch.

Leetsu: My, you are a big fan of Stipe and co. I really liked how unassuming and low-key these two tracks are.

NSpan: Prog Alert, Prog Alert! When I listened to the first song all my problems with the genre came rushing back. Yes, there are simple blues riffs in there, but there's also a lot of other stuff and the problem is that I'm not sure if they cohere enough in the mere 5 minutes everything is squeezed into. I like the toying of multiple genres in a single track, but it's that issue of excess that I find it hard to get over. However, I gave the second song (or 2 songs?) a blast and was not so much surprised but entertained. Here, I felt the different styles did blend into each other coherently as they were given time to. I don't think at any stage I fell in love with the music (though the trombone interlude at the 6-ish minute mark was lovely), but it was overall a very pleasant experience. Prog that doesn't make me wretch should be considered a success.

Ron B: Dire Straits are like Status Quo without the sense of humour. I could never get into them. Brothers in Arms is their most listenable song, but the rest is nauseatingly dull.

SS: I remember getting this the weekend it was released. I did enjoy it, but at the time I felt they could never reach the heights of Nirvana. I get that they weren't trying to, but some of the poppier moments never really captivated me. That said, there are some good track on it.

Tranny: An awful attempt to merge rap and rock. One of my least favourite acts.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

For anyone remotely interested in modern psych-rock (or The Warlocks in particular), check this out:

http://www.thewarlocks.com/music.php

For a limited time, select tracks from their entire discography are free to download. I'd download them all, but if you want some starting points: "Song for Nico" and "Cocaine Blues" from the Rise and Fall EP and Rarities; "The Valley of Death," "Moving Mountains," "So Paranoid" and "Zombie Like Lovers" from Heavy Deavy Skull Lover, and literally everything available from Phoenix and Rise and Fall (US & UK versions.

Just right-click the specific tracks and "Save As" -- this is a great opportunity!!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: Prog Alert, Prog Alert! When I listened to the first song all my problems with the genre came rushing back. Yes, there are simple blues riffs in there, but there's also a lot of other stuff and the problem is that I'm not sure if they cohere enough in the mere 5 minutes everything is squeezed into. I like the toying of multiple genres in a single track, but it's that issue of excess that I find it hard to get over. However, I gave the second song (or 2 songs?) a blast and was not so much surprised but entertained. Here, I felt the different styles did blend into each other coherently as they were given time to. I don't think at any stage I fell in love with the music (though the trombone interlude at the 6-ish minute mark was lovely), but it was overall a very pleasant experience. Prog that doesn't make me wretch should be considered a success
I selected "Ladies of the Road" (and featured it first) because it's the most accessible song. Glad you managed to get some pleasure out of the next (two) song(s).

If you're feeling particularly masochistic, listen to "The Letters" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgqGACLCcjQ (a more somber and serious number than "Ladies"--it also has the off-the-chart sonic dynamics I spoke of). And "The Sailor's Tale" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9uBrAfB7c is another instrumental that shows off Fripp's skills as a composer and arranger (as well as featuring some great playing by the entire band.)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Album No.32

englishozzy Powderfinger, "Odyssey Number Five", 2000al
New to me, but it was a nice listen. The second song rocked a bit more, but I liked the pleasantness of the first.

Geezer The Jimi Hendrix Experince, "Are You Experienced", 1967
It's a great album, to be sure. I have fond memories of my dad playing it for us on vinyl when we were kids. I never thought Hendrix records were all that consistent. Some of his best work was only recorded live. And, if you're willing to dig through some low fidelity tracks and half-finished songs, the posthumous albums have a few diamonds in the rough.

Leestu The Cure, “Head on the Door”, 1985
I'll be completely honest: I never really "got" The Cure. I just don't see the appeal. That said, I didn't mind either of your song selections. First song was easy on the ears, and the second had a cool new-wave groove.

NSpan To Be Added At A Later Date
Get your shit together, man!

numbersix New Order, “Movement”, 1981
Similar to my response to The Cure (above), New Order and Joy Division are bands that I've always been aware of, but I just never got into. Their recent resurgence hasn't helped (as most of their tween fans are annoying as hell)...

Ron Burgundy David Bowie, "Lets Dance", 1983
I actually don't own this album. I have half the tracks on various compilations, but I was never sure if the "deep cuts" were worth it. I might have to go for it.

silversurfer PJ Harvey, "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea", 2000
I've clearly been snubbed from an exclusive club of PJ Harvey followers. I knew she was respected among respectable people with respectable tastes in respectable music... but I don't own any of her albums--nary a stray track. Surf, Six, et al.: where should I start?

transformers Led Zeppelin, "IV", 1971
Great album, solid song picks!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Will check out those Warlocks tunes

Albums from this round I'm interested in hearing more of...

Led Zepplin - Physical Grafitti
R.E.M. - Murmur
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.35

englishozzy Queens of the Stone Age, "Songs for the Death" - I agree with you, though both Lullabies and Era Vulgaris have their moments, they don't come close to the consistency of this record, which has many, many highs throughout.

Geezer Everclear, "Sparkle And Fade" - These have always been a band I have associated as a kind of radio friendly college band. I while that is partially true, and I can certainly hear many of your other favourite bands in here, I really dug this. Second track didn't have the same impact, but I'm willing to look into them further. I'm guessing this is their best album?

Leestu Pavement, “Slanted and Enchanted” - Obviously a band and record I love, and great choice of songs too. I love "No Life Singed Her Now"

NSpan Cream, Disraeli Gears - Certainly for me my favourite Cream album, such a strong opening to each side and the pace just doesn't give up. I love Ginger Baker's drumming throughout, certainly one of the best drummers I've ever heard. Though while I dig their music, I can only take them in short doses. So I don't think that 5 hours worth would necessarily be a good buy for me...

numbersix Slint, “Spiderland” - I'll get back to you on this shortly, but a fantastic record, I bought it on a whim and have never looked back. Stunningly atmospheric.

Ron Burgundy Jay-Z, "The Black Album" - Just doesn't appeal, sorry.

transformers Queens of the Stone Age, "Songs for the Death" - Again a very, very good album. This must be one of the most represented records on the countdown now.