Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#4

Post by NSpan »

..sent
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.42

englishozzy
To Be Added At A Later Date

Geezer
Nirvana, "In Utero"
, 1993

1.Serve The Servants – 4 stars
2.Scentless Apprentice – 2 stars
3.Heart-Shaped Box – 5 stars
4.Rape Me – 5 stars
5.Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle – 4 stars
6.Dumb – 5 stars
7.Very Ape – 4 stars
8.Milk It – 2 stars
9.Pennyroyal Tea – 5 stars
10.Radio Friendly Unit Shifter – 3 stars
11.Tourette's – 2 stars
12.All Apologies – 5 stars

How do you follow up the Greatest Album of All Time? Well, it's pretty damn hard, that's for sure! However, Nirvana, in all of the greatness, produced In Utero, a very different, but all the same incredible third album. I don't love every song on it, as you can tell from the ratings, but the highs are so damn high that this album is firmly entrenched in my personal top 50.

"Dumb"

"Rape Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCS14PoQc2M

BleedBlackandGold
To Be Added At Later Date

Leestu
David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars”
, 1972

Bowie’s masterpiece. Nspan pre-empted my two selections (good choices mate!) so I have changed them to these.

“Hang On to Yourself”

“Suffragette City”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEkXAHIKdKI

NSpan
Pink Floyd, “Obscured by Clouds”
, 1972

Although a soundtrack to Barbet Schroeder's film La Vallée, Obscured by Clouds works quite well as an insular work. It was written concurrently with Dark Side of the Moon, but the soundtrack was completed (and released) first. In many ways, it served as something of a blueprint for DSOTM. For example, listen to "Childhood's End" and observe how it provided a foundation for "Time." Or hear how "Mudmen" morphed into "Any Colour You Like." Side One feels very much like a soundtrack (which isn't to say the songs don't stand up on their own), while Side Two is reminiscent of the earlier--but no less genius--Atom Heart Mother where the three primary songwriters each got their own track--followed by a psychedelic collaboration. Gilmour, Waters, and Wright each have very distinct styles. I think Floyd was at their best when they were truly working as a group (which sadly became more and more rare as time went on), but it's very interesting to see how each individual progressed creatively. Waters' "Free Four" is a logical step forward from "Corporal Clegg" and "San Tropez." Wright's "Stay" is unmistakably Wright, as it shares many themes with "Summer '68," "Paintbox," and "Remember a Day." Perhaps most impressively, Gilmour shines as both a songwriter and a musician on "Childhood's End"--another Floyd high point within their live repertoire after his own "Fat Old Sun."

side one
1. "Obscured by Clouds"
2. "When You're In"
3. "Burning Bridges"
4. "The Gold It's in the…"
5. "Wot's… Uh the Deal?"
6. "Mudmen"

side two
7. "Childhood's End"
8. "Free Four"
9. "Stay"
10. "Absolutely Curtains"

"Childhood's End"

"Mudmen"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnSXfG9cipY

numbersix
Spiritualized, “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”
, 1997

Immediately lauded by the critics, this is an element I fell out of love with, only to recently revisit it and realise what a true classic it has become. The clash between the big and the small, the inner and the outer, makes for a wonderfully dense and rewarding records.

Lead singer Jason Pierce was battling not only with his heroin addiction but also the recent breakup of his marriage (his wife ending up with The Verve’s Richard Ashcroft. Man, did she end up with a raw deal). While deeply personal moments often lead rockstars to delve into the cliché of making intimate and stripped down music, Pierce did the opposite. He made this record, one brimming with instrumentation, an utterly expansive rock record. There’s still personal moments in songs like Broken Heart and Cop Shoot Cop, but all in the context of something greater, something more wondrous.

"Broken Heart"

"Come Together"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzoZ_5HLXg

Ron Burgundy
Hilltop Hoods, "The Calling"
, 2003

"Testimonial Year"

"Dumb Enough"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNProyywaDM

silversurfer
Jane's Addiction, "Ritual De Lo Habitual"
, 1990

Fusing the likes of thrash, metal, psychedelia, folk, prog and funk into one record is a dangerous idea. Quite often it can just become a bit of a mess. Luckily Jane's Addiction managed to avoid this pitfall on Ritual De Lo Habitual. While the band crosses genres almost at will, the record is still a very concise and perfectly executed record which is both exciting and interesting. It truly is a record of two halves, with the opening side consisting of entertaining, fast paced rock songs which highlight Dave Navarro's frenzied, freewheeling guitar and Perry Farrell's wailing, rapturous vocals, while the second half takes on a slower burning, progressive and experimental feel to the record. Taking both the mix of genres and the two fairly stark sides to the record, it is amazing that the album works. It's like the band explode on their entrance, capitulate, then slowly build themselves back up again right in front of your eyes (or ears). It's a phenomenal thing to hear, and in doing so the record builds itself into a testament of how rock music really can break boundaries but still remain fun and interesting.

"Stop"

"Ain't No Right"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWeijRSaUSU

transformers
Atmosphere, "God Loves Ugly"
, 2002

"Hair"

"A Girl Named Hope"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TW1FLFJNMI

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks", 1975

I would never have even considered listening to Bob Dylan if it wasn't for the combination of our Top 100 Songs countdown and Watchmen. Since then I have listened to all but three albums of his collection and this is one of the standouts.

You're a Big Girl Now

Tangled Up in Blue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Nirvana - In utero - 7/10
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - 6/10
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds - 8/10
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - 5/10
Hilltop Hoods - In Space - 5/10
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual - 7/10
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly - 4/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Another surprise from you. A truly beautiful album. One of Bob's best.

Geez: I think this surpasses Nevermind, which to me felt like a band finding their voice. And In Utero was their voice. IF Kurt had lived on I think they would have explored that sound in future records, until they settled into middle age with a series of bluesy dad-rock records. Interestingly, Milk It is one of my favourite songs on the record.

Leetsu: A great record. Makes me realise I must get more Bowie albums (I only have Low from his famed Berlin era).

NSpan: Yep, the similarities to Dark Side are certainly there. Perhaps not as ambitious and thus not as pretentious as their iconic record. Perhaps I've giving these songs more slack as they're written as part of a soundtrack. Either way there's not enough in them to keep me engaged. Out, foul prog!

Ron B: For some reason I can't take rap outside of the US and UK seriously. You should hear some of the Irish attempts!

SS: I'm still trying to figure out why I'm not a fan of Jane's Addiction. PErhaps it's the mildly irritating vocals, or the seeming lack of interesting hooks. Or that very distinct early 90s production. Either way, they don't really get to me in the way they should.

Tranny: Wow, lots of self-hatred going on there. I still prefer the first album of this you posted, though.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.42

Geezer Nirvana, "In Utero", 1993 - Certainly a contender for my own list, it's a completely different beast to Nevermind, it's a lot darker in my opinion, but that's not a bad thing in the slightest. I love songs like Frances Farmer and Serve The Servants, while All Apologies proved the band could craft another album closer to come close to matching Something In The Way.

Leestu David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars”, 1972 - Not had this record for very long but whenever I've listened it's been highly enjoyable, fun rocks songs that a very catchy.

NSpan Pink Floyd, “Obscured by Clouds”, 1972 - Yes, you can certainly hear Dark Side Of The Moon on there, especially the second track. I've been making a concerted effort to look into Pink Floyd's discography over the last year or so, as I was previously just a fan of the Barrett era Floyd. In doing so, I can certainly hear some of Meddle in the first song as well. I enjoyed both tracks, particularly the first, so I'll certainly look out for this. I presume there will be more Floyd to come in the countdown, so I await to hear your recommendations to add to my current collection of Piper, Meddle, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

numbersix Spiritualized, “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, 1997 - For some reason I don't own this record. I know many of the songs off it, but I only actually own a couple of his albums, a favourite being Let It Come Down. I really love the atmosphere's Jason Pierce can create within his music, it's kind of euphoric at times, while ambient at others, I just love the instrumentation, it's always interesting and unique. This has just further reminded me to pick this up.

Ron Burgundy Hilltop Hoods, "The Calling", 2003 - Really didn't like this at all.

transformers Atmosphere, "God Loves Ugly", 2002 - Yeah, it's all very angry.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.41

englishozzy
Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "By the Way"
, 2002

The re-introduction of John Frusciante into the band was a masterstroke with Frusciante being credited for most of the music. By the Way remains one of RHCP biggest albums and rightly so.

"Can't Stop"

"Minor Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VU2kdbANwA

Geezer
Matt and Kim, "Grand"
, 2009

1.Daylight – 5 stars
2.Cutdown – 5 stars
3.Good Ol' Fashioned Nightmare – 4 stars
4.Spare Change – 3 stars
5.I Wanna – 5 stars
6.Lessons Learned – 5 stars
7.Don't Slow Down – 5 stars
8.Turn This Boat Around – 3 stars
9.Cinders – 4 stars
10.I'll Take Us Home – 3 stars
11.Daylight (Outro Remix) – 3 stars

The even better follow up to their awesome debut. So much energy packed into two people. They don't come catchier than Matt and Kim. Try and get the hook for Daylight or Lessons Learned out of your head. You can't, but that's ok, because you won't even want to.

"Daylight"

"Lessons Learned"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkymylTNU4

BleedBlackandGold
To Be Added At Later Date

Leestu
Sex Pistols, “Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols”
, 1977

An album that I believe by discovering as an early teenager it was a major contributing factor to changing my musical tastes forever, showing me that, as the album title suggests, there was more music out there than the top 40 commercial bollocks. So for importance and nostalgia it deserves this placing on my list.

“Holidays in the Sun”

“God Save The Queen”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUH2YSFlVU

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Ryan Adams, “Heartbreaker”
, 2001

Being derivative can often leave you irrelevant, but sometimes it manages to work. Here, a young and recently freed (from his previous band Whiskeytown) acts like a teenager who has just discovered all the greats. With each song you can pick out who he’s mimicking: Dylan, Young, Parsons, etc.

But, there’s merit in the fact that he doesn’t stick to just one influence, instead traversing the spectrum of country and folk. There’s boot-scuffling country rock songs like the album’s opener To Be Young, gentle ballads full of wistful longing, and even a dark nocturnal tune or two. Heartbreaker is brimming with passion, perhaps even a bit directionless, but it’s also a perfect record about someone’s overwhelming passion for music.

"To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)"

"Call Me On Your Way Back Home"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqhAxLEdFP4

Ron Burgundy
Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles"
, 1999

"Testify"

"Calm Like A Bomb"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbGJeXShopk

silversurfer
The Velvet Underground, "The Velvet Underground & Nico"
, 1967

The Velvet Underground's collaboration with Nico was in fact the first record pf the Velvet's I had bought. I didn't know what to expect coming into the album as a 12 or 13 year old. I knew they were one of those highly influential "hippy" bands, but that was about it. So going into this record fairly fresh I was at first a little surprised by what I heard. While All Tomorrows Parties fit my preconceptions of what the band would sound like, I was unprepared for the pop flicks on the likes of Sunday Morning, There She Goes Again, while the noisy fuzz which has so influenced pretty much all of my favourite band's sounds was startling, electrifying and absorbing. I had never heard a record like this. It was a art-rock record with a master stroke of pop at it's heart. Still an audacious and unique record more than 45 years after its release, I continue to discover new intricacies of the record on each listen. Timelessly brilliant.

"Sunday Morning"

"Heroin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffr0opfm6I4

transformers
Mastodon, "Crack The Sky"
, 2009

"The Czar"

"Ghost of Karelia"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXvlNBBv88

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

50-41 Recap

englishozzy
50. Radiohead, "The Bends", 1995
49. Ben Lee, "Awake is the New Sleep", 2005
48. Snow Patrol, "Final Straw", 2003
47. James Morrison, "Undiscovered", 2006
46. Bad Religion, "No Control", 1989
45. AC/DC, "Highway to Hell", 1979
44. Iron Maiden, "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", 1988
43. Kings of Leon, "Only By the Night", 2008
42. Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks", 1975
41. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By The Way", 2002

Geezer
50. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970
49. Guns N' Roses , "Appetite for Destruction", 1987
48. The Clash, "The Clash", 1977
47. Dropkick Murphys, "Going Out In Style", 2011
46. The Airborne Toxic Event, "The Airborne Toxic Event", 2008
45. Sum 41, "All Killer, No Filler", 2001
44. Staind, "Break The Cycle", 2001
43. The Airborne Toxic Event, "All At Once", 2011
42. Nirvana, "In Utero", 1993
41. Matt and Kim, "Grand", 2009

BleedBlackAndGold
50. Sex Pistols, "Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols", 1977

Leestu
50. Radiohead, “Pablo Honey”,, 1993
49. Placebo, “Without You I’m Nothing”,, 1998
48. Wolfmother, “Wolfmother”, 2005
47. Dead Kennedys, “Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death”, 1987
46. Modest Mouse, “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”, 2007
45. The The, “Infected”, 1986
44. Grinspoon, “Guide to Better Living”, 1997
43. Lou Reed, “Transformer”, 1972
42. David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars”, 1972
41. Sex Pistols, “Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols”, 1977

NSpan
50. The Grateful Dead, "Workingman's Dead", 1970
49. Funkadelic, "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On", 1974
48. The Rapture, "Pieces of the People We Love", 2006
47. Jefferson Airplane, "Surrealistic Pillow", 1967
46. Guy Clark, "Old No. 1", 1975
45. Frank Black, "Black Letter Days", 2002
44. Led Zeppelin, "Houses Of The Holy, 1975
43. Frank Black, "Frank Black", 1993
42. Pink Floyd, “Obscured by Clouds”, 1972

numbersix
50. James Brown, “The Payback”,, 1973
49. My Bloody Valentine, “Isn’t Anything”, 1988
48. PJ Harvey, “Let England Shake”, 2011
47. Stiff Little Fingers, “Inflammable Material”, 1979
46. Tom Waits, “Blue Valentine”, 1978
45. Tricky, “Maxinquaye”, 1995
44. Pere Ubu, “Dub Housing”, 1978
43. The Au Pairs, “Playing With A Different Sex”, 1981
42. Spiritualized, “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, 1997
41. Ryan Adams, “Heartbreaker”, 2001

Ron Burgundy
50. Coldplay, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", 2003
49. Rammstein, "Mutter", 2001
48. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By The Way", 2002
47. The Presets, "Beams", 2005
46. Chemical Brothers, "Surrender", 2005
45. Daft Punk, "Homework", 1997
44. Daft Punk, "Human After All", 2005
43. The Police, "Synchronicity", 1983
42. Hilltop Hoods, "The Calling", 2003
41. Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles", 1999

silversurfer
50. Echo And The Bunnymen, "Crocodiles", 1980
49. Pavement, "Slanted And Enchanted", 1992
48. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970
47. The Replacements, "Let It Be", 1984
46. Robert Johnson, "King Of The Delta Blues Singers", 1961
45. Suede, "Dog Man Star", 1994
44. Sonic Youth, "Daydream Nation", 1988
43. Nick Drake, Pink Moon, 1972
42. Jane's Addiction, "Ritual De Lo Habitual", 1990
41. The Velvet Underground, "The Velvet Underground & Nico", 1967

transformers
50. Outkast, "ATLiens", 1996
49. Coheed and Cambria, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", 2003
48. The Red Chord, "Clients", 2005
47. MF Doom, "MMM..Food", 2004
46. Coheed and Cambria, "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness", 2005
45. The Black Dahlia Murder, "Nocturnal", 2007
44. Jedi Mind Tricks, "Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell", 2006
43. Children of Bodom, "Hate Crew Death Roll", 2003
42. Atmosphere, "God Loves Ugly", 2002
41. Mastodon, "Crack The Sky", 2009

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.41

englishozzy Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "By the Way", 2002 - As I said previously, this was the last record where I really took note of RHCP. There are some really good songs on here, especially the ones you picked, but overall it was the sound of a band maturing, and for me, becoming a little less interesting. Still, Frusciante really excels here as you mention, and it's always a nice listen.

Geezer Matt and Kim, "Grand", 2009 - Ah, I know that first song. Never knew it was these guys. It's very quirky indie pop, not something I'd really expect to see on your list, but it is obviously very catchy. I like it, much more than the picks I think you have selected of theirs before.

Leestu Sex Pistols, “Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols”, - I think for it's importance, influence and nostalgia, they are the only real reasons I would have it in my countdown. It's a decent enough record, but what it did to the music industry had a much bigger impact and longevity.

numbersix Ryan Adams, “Heartbreaker”, 2001 - Adams is very derivative of his influences, but like you say there's just something undeniably wonderful about his records. They're always very catchy and passionate. A couple were very close to making my own list, particularly Rock N Roll and Love Is Hell, but I don't actually own this (it's hard to keep up with his productivity!), so will certainly add it to the top of the pile.

Ron Burgundy Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles", 1999 - Neither of those two songs really grabbed me in a way I hoped. Doesn't really make me want to seek out the record. The second was a little more interesting, but not much really, just felt like the band had settled on a style and gone about repeating what had come before.

transformers Mastodon, "Crack The Sky", 2009 - I liked it, the first song had a kind of Tool vibe to it, not what I was expecting from the band at all. Second was more like what I expected, but even that was listenable, with a nice driving riff.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Matt and Kim - Grand - 8/10
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - 7/10
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker - 6/10
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles - 8/10
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico - 7/10
Mastadon - Crack the Sky - 7/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Just a few quick observations...

Ozzy: Their new millennium material is all quite listenable, but never really inspired.

Geez: I think you nailed it on the head in your description about them being catchy. Undeniably so. I quite enjoyed the first song. The second wasn't bad either, though the video was more interesting (except for the end, which sucked). Very enjoyable all round, though.

Leetsu: A band I strangely can only appreciate on a historical level. Despite liking punk, they're never really blown me away or motivated me to actually get this iconic record, even before I became aware that they were puppets of McLaren (at least Lydon cut himself free and made even better music).

Ron B: There's a sort of tiredness to this record, but there's still something to their trademark sound.

SS: A wonderful album. The origin of art-rock, perhaps. I can only imagine what my 12-year-old self would make of it (I bought it when I was 15 or 16 I believe, then got the Peel Slowly box set a few years afterwards).

Tranny: To echo SS's sentiments, these guys felt more like the classic examples of metal, and so it wasn't bad at all.

NSpan: I've become more open to psyche-rock over the past few years. Have you ever heard of Oneida? Their Rated O album is pretty trippy. I also popped into a gig they played that lasted about 8 hours and featured special guests such as Mike Watt from the Minutemen. Anyway, I enjoyed these two songs. The first was derivative but nonetheless a very nice listen, and the second reminded me of 90s psyche like The Flaming Lips and perhaps Ween. The two songs together worked and makes the album sound somewhat varied. Have you ever read Pitchfork's reviews of The Warlocks? You probably shouldn't!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Albums from this round that I'm interested in hearing more of...

Funkadelic: Standing On The Verge…
Pavement: Slanted And Enchanted
Dead Kennedys: Give Me Convenience or …
Robert Johnson: King Of The Delta Blues Singers
Frank Black: Black Letter Days
MF Doom: MMM..Food

There are now 20 albums from my Top 100 that feature in other lists. I'm a fifth like you all!

Oh, and I recently got myself a copy of Tim by The Replacements. Really enjoying it, so thanks for the recommendation John L, NSpan, and SS.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Warlocks
- Surgery (2005)

Come Save Us
It's Just Like Surgery
Gypsy Nightmare
Angels In Heaven, Angels In Hell
We Need Starpower
Thursday's Radiation
Evil Eyes Again
The Tangent
Above Earth
Bleed Without You Babe
Suicide Note

I give full credit to the Brian Jonestown Massacre for spearheading the modern neo-psychedelic movement that started in the 90s and hasn't slowed down since. As I've mentioned, a significant number of my favorite modern/touring bands are directly associated with BJM. Such is the case with the BJM offshoot: The Warlocks. And this particular band has always struck a special chord with me. From what I understand, the band leader isn't easy to work with.... and, as a result, "The Warlocks" have become a revolving door of amazingly talented musicians led by a single musical prodigy that also happens to purposely surround himself with the most skilled talent in the area. Frank Zappa's success and longevity were made possible by very similar traits and tactics. Warlocks albums aren't always 100% consistent, but each release (from 2000 to present day) possesses truly essential tracks. Guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Bobby Hecksher claims that he was displeased with the final production of Surgery. Nonetheless, it's easily one of their most cohesive and accessible albums to date. If a "director's cut" of this album is ever released, I'd be very interested in listening to it. Until then, I think I'm quite content with such an amazing album. The final sound is somewhere between the (relatively) old-school Brian Jonestown Massacre fuzz and The Raveonettes 60s pop sensibilities. An awe-inspiring album by some of this generations finest musicians.

"Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell"

"It's Just Like Surgery"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShG4pMpyb0

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer Nirvana, "In Utero", 1993
I'm not a fan of Nirvana, but I have a soft spot for some of these tracks. I think "Heart Shaped Box" is one of Cobain's best songs. And "Dumb" is better than I remembered--good thing you featured it, because I had basically written it off completely at this point.

Leestu David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars”, 1972
If I'm counting correctly, we've already shared more than half of this album's tracks. You think this will show up again before we finish the countdown?

numbersix Spiritualized, “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, 1997
"Broken Heart" was very pleasant. But it sounds much more like a film score than a self-contained song. A bit reminiscent of the Cave/Ellis soundtracks I love so much (albeit with a broader production). "Come Together" could be a track from a Black Angels album. It drags at the end.... but so do a lot of Black Angels songs. Somehow I know both of these songs, but I'm not sure why. I remember you featured a Spiritualized track in the Song Countdown--and my response was about the same: this type of music begs for a visual accompaniment.

Ron Burgundy Hilltop Hoods, "The Calling", 2003
Honestly not bad at all! The thick Australian accents are a bit distracting, and the Will Smith-esque "Whoo!" interspersed throughout the first track should've been cut. But both songs really flow. Solid production. [edit: Wikipedia made it seem like the music was mostly original, but then I heard Madelaine's version of "Who is She (And What is She to You)?" ... I change my response from "solid production" to "somewhat lazy production")

silversurfer Jane's Addiction, "Ritual De Lo Habitual", 1990
One of my older brothers had this on cassette when we were young. I loved it. Then I forgot about it for a while. Then I rediscovered it and loved it again. This cycle has repeated several times. Thanks for reminding me once again. If you dropped "Stop" into the middle of a Tripping Daisy album, I don't think anybody would notice. That band (along with Blind Melon) probably owes Jane's Addiction a large debt for paving the way for this sound.

transformers Atmosphere, "God Loves Ugly", 2002
First track had too much in common with Eminem... the second song was better.

englishozzy » Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks", 1975
Reel Society and Zack Snyder should team up more often for the betterment of the world.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Waiting on picks from Geez, NSpan and tranny before posting no.40.

Anyway from the last round records that stood out that I have decided to look into further are:

Bad Religion, "No Control", 1989
Matt and Kim, "Grand", 2009
The The, “Infected”, 1986
Grinspoon, “Guide to Better Living”, 1997
Frank Black, "Black Letter Days", 2002
Frank Black, "Frank Black", 1993
Pink Floyd, “Obscured by Clouds”, 1972
Pere Ubu, “Dub Housing”, 1978
The Au Pairs, “Playing With A Different Sex”, 1981
Spiritualized, “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, 1997
Ryan Adams, “Heartbreaker”, 2001
Daft Punk, "Homework", 1997
Daft Punk, "Human After All", 2005

From that list I have already picked up the much of Frank Black's catalogue, and the Spiritualized and Ryan Adams albums. Will let you guys know what I think! Great round.