Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#4

Post by englishozzy »

The Clash - The Clash - 7/10
Wolfmother - Wolfmother - 10/10
The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love - 8/10
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake - 7/10
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way - 9/10
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - 8/10
The Red Chord - Clients - 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: I could never even pay attention to these guys' music. Not for me, and the transparent act of selling out only makes me less interested in them.

Geez: A classic album. These guys mastered pure punk on their first attempt. Some great tunes, especially Career Opportunitites, White Riot, and their take on Police and Thieves. They went on to make even better music, but this is great.

Leetsu: Like when Ozzy picked it, I did enjoy the music a good bit. As you say, it's derivative, but it's good enough to have on. I see your point about being an introduction to the greats they borrow from, but shouldn't they be more prominent on your list? Anyway, it was fun.

NSpan: I'm honoured to have introduced them to you. I also have all of their records, including their first album Mirror. I think they've changed a lot over the years, which is commendable but not quite what I'm into. I like a lot of this record, and your picks are my favourites. The last few songs don't grab me, but it's a solid album that I regularly return to. Just not as much as Echoes.

Ron B: RHCP fell into the same sense of ease as U2, in which their music was a lot safer. It's also quite pleasant, so it's hard to fault their decision. But it doesn't excite me.

SS: Great tunes. What I love about this record is even though there's not a huge amount to each song, the riffs are strong enough to carry each track, even the longer ones like War Pigs and Iron Man. What would you (and NSpan, as there were a few great Sabbath songs on his list) recommend as the next Sabbath record to check out?

Tranny: A bit too OTT for my delicate ears.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Snow Patrol, "Final Straw", 2003
I've been told good things about this band, but nothing I've listened to has stuck with me. They mostly sound like standard 90's alt-pop infused with Coldplay's sensibilities. On a side note, I have no direct context regarding them "selling out" (or "buying in") or any of that, so my response is based purely on what I'm hearing.

Geezer The Clash, "The Clash", 1977
I agree--it's a helluva debut.

Leestu Wolfmother, “Wolfmother”, 2005
As I've said before, I really dig this album. Also as I've said before, there's something artificial about it. It might be in the songwriting, the production, or just my own perception... but their sound feels like a photo-copy of a photo-copy of a photo-copy. Just to be clear: I'm not dismissing the band as "derivative." The more we throw that term around, the less meaning it has. Every single album on this countdown is derivative. As long as the artist/musician/band is adding their own touch to it, I have no problem with "wearing influences on the sleeve."

Did you ever get your hands on the Band of Skulls debut LP (Baby Darling Doll Face Honey)?

numbersix PJ Harvey, “Let England Shake”, 2011
Based on the music clips alone, I'm not running to the store to get my hands on these albums... but the level of devotion and admiration displayed by her fans really intrigues me. Forgive me if I've asked before, but have you heard anything by Anaïs Mitchell?

Ron Burgundy Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By The Way", 2002
RHCP hit their peak in 1991. It could be argued that 1992 was "the beginning of the end." And--sure enough--with EVERY release over the last 20 years, fans and critics alike declare the band dead. But I've personally seen this too many times. Sure, there's no question about it: RHCP is (and has been) on a steady decline--but the decline isn't nearly as steep as anyone would have ever guessed. Even their latest album has its moments! As long as they have a good producer and sound engineer at the mixing board, all Kiedis & Co. have to do is maintain an ear for melody. And I don't think they've lost that yet. Their LIVE show, on the other hand, is a different story. But, from what I know, they were never all that great live to begin with. It turns out that Anthony has always needed some studio wizardry to nail all those notes.

transformers The Red Chord, "Clients", 2005
Usually with your metal picks, I enjoy the music but not the vocals. I gotta say... in this particular case, I was kinda turned off by both. Sorry, mate!

<SABBATH RAMBLINGS>

silversurfer Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970
I can't get enough of these guys. Great choice with "Fairies Wear Boots" -- that intro section ("Jack the Stripper") is killer. I consider this the first TRUE "Heavy Metal" studio album. Other acts (Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin / Jeff Beck, Vanilla Fudge, and even Black Sabbath on their eponymous debut) had come VERY close, but I still consider all of those to be merely heavy blues. Paranoid introduced something novel. I think it's a stunning record, and I think it was the start of something new.

Six -- My personal favorite is the debut. If you like the bluesier side of their sound, it's an absolute masterpiece. I grew up listening to the five-song version (intros and outros weren't discrete tracks, and "Evil Woman" was omitted entirely). The 14-minute suite consisting of "A Bit of Finger," "Sleeping Village," and "Warning" is one of the best pieces of hard rock musicianship I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. And, honestly, the rest of the record is just as strong--particularly the other extended suite ("Behind the Wall of Sleep" + "NIB").

However, if you can let go of the blues and get more into the more metal, thrashier-side of Sabbath, I HIGHLY recommend Master of Reality. It's basically what Metallica tried (and failed) to recreate with their first 4 albums. The songs are generally tight, fast, and heavy. The songwriting and musicianship is top-notch, and you end up with six of the best classic metal songs ever recorded, plus two fun little instrumental throwaways.

Vol. 4 is surely a worthy successor to Master of Reality. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are also both fantastic... but they lean toward prog-rock, which I don't think you're looking for. As a final note, the Dio years are sadly underrated. Ozzy may have had the voice of the impending apocalypse, but Dio was a true front-man. He breathed new life into a band that could've easily been otherwise written off entirely.

Finally: no matter which album(s) you go with, try and find the latest remaster. The early albums have REALLY been cleaned up, and they sound GREAT in the more recent reissues. They aren't remixed, but the clarity allows the listener to hear so much more. The box-set called "The Black Box" is when the true leap in quality occurred. If you can get individual discs from that collection, you're good to go. The even more-recent "Deluxe" editions probably have the best sound quality possible on the standard CD format, but don't expect much from the bonus tracks. In general, Sabbath released what they recorded and disposed of the rest.

</SABBATH RAMBLINGS>
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote:Did you ever get your hands on the Band of Skulls debut LP (Baby Darling Doll Face Honey)?
I still haven't "acquired" any new albums from this countdown yet. I keep meaning to find the time to but I'm still a bit useless with this online world and need my kids help...and they always seem to be busier than me. No promises but I might try this evening. Got a long drive tomorrow and could do with some new music to listen to.

On a related note however, I have recently listened to some albums featured in this countdown so far that were already in my collection but I had not yet heard, including High Violet by The National (I didn't even know I had this but I've listened to it a few times this past week - I really like it), Bon Iver (disappointingly I found it a bit dull), and Black Flag (good "blast from the past" fun).

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I prefer Band of Skulls' debut (currently $10 as an Amazon digital download), but their follow-up (Sweet Sour) is a mere $5 download at the moment.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Thanks for the recommendation, NSpan, I think I'll look into Sabbath's first record.

As for Anais Mitchell, I have heard a few songs. To be honest, I don't really hear similarities between her and PJ Harvey. Mitchell fits more into a more traditional folk sound with a dash of melodrama that doesn't do a whole lot for me. What I've always liked about PJ Harvey is her unnerving intensity. Even when there's folkier elements to her music, like in her last two records, the pastoral atmosphere is far from merely pleasant. It's more like the soundtrack to cabin fever.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.47

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
James Morrison, "Undiscovered"
, 2006

I really enjoyed Morrison's debut album with some very good songwriting throughout the album. A real random album in my countdown.

"Undiscovered"

"Call the Police"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xxBbj7CUY

Geezer
Dropkick Murphys, "Going Out In Style"
, 2011

1.Hang Em' High – 5 stars
2.Going Out In Style – 5 stars
3.The Hardest Mile – 4 stars
4.Cruel – 5 stars
5.Memorial Day – 4 stars
6.Climbing A Chair To Bed – 5 stars
7.Broken Hymns – 4 stars
8.Deeds Not Words – 5 stars
9.Take Em' Down – 3 stars
10.Sunday Hardcore Matinees – 4 stars
11.1953 – 3 stars
12.Peg O' My Heart – 4 stars
13.The Irish Rover – 4 stars

The 7th album from the Dropkick Murphys and it ranks right up their with their best work. Still very new, it is certainly an album on the rise for me. And they are already releasing another on in January! Very close to the best album of 2011, I'll probably be too busy listening to this to get to that for about another year...

"Going Out In Style"

"Cruel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGBGsm2vSYQ

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
Dead Kennedys, “Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death”
, 1987

This may be a compilation instead of a studio album but it is a must have for DK fans. None of the songs are available on any other album apart from California Uber Alles and Holiday In Cambodia, and even then they are the slightly different single versions. This album highlights the variety of Dead Kennedys from their surf punk sound through to spoken word (the direction Jello would go after Dead Kennedys finished).

“Pull My Strings”

“Police Truck”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk

NSpan
Jefferson Airplane, "Surrealistic Pillow"
, 1967

My #61 selection in this countdown was Jefferson Airplane's Crown of Creation. In the description, I said something along the lines of "expectations became a blessing and a curse for the band." I'll elaborate. My #47 pick is their 1967 hit record, Surrealistic Pillow. It is widely considered to be the Airplane's pinnacle in the studio. And I agree with that. The album sold well and spawned multiple hits.

The problem is that the band preferred an organic approach to performance. Many songs were written merely as kicking-off points for their improvisational jams. They were great musicians and they loved to explore their sound. "Jam bands" are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, but very few of these modern acts have the skill to warrant a 3-hour set.

When Jefferson Airplane started receiving significant radio airplay, the entire landscape of music changed. Haight-Ashbury was solidified as the capital of the counter-culture movement. And the Airplane became semi-reluctant leaders of a (perceived) revolution--not to mention becoming its mascot as well. Unfortunately for the "true believers," not everybody was in it for the art or the ideals. People flocked from all over to hear this relatively new band play their popular hits. And these fans wanted to hear the music performed EXACTLY the way they had heard it on the radio. To cap it all off, the album's two biggest hits ("White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love") were penned by Grace Slick BEFORE joining the band. They're great songs, but they're also the furthest removed from the group's core sound. You can see where the confusion began.

The result was a lot of uneven studio albums, a rift in the band that ultimately resulted in two offshoots (Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship), and a LOT of amazing music played in the interim. Surrealistic Pillow might not embody the Airplane's live sound, but it did capture the essence of their songwriting--which was top-notch at the time.

SIDE ONE
She Has Funny Cars
Somebody to Love
My Best Friend
Today
Comin' Back to Me

SIDE TWO
3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds
D.C.B.A.–25
How Do You Feel
Embryonic Journey
White Rabbit
Plastic Fantastic Lover

"3/5ths of a Mile in 10 Seconds"

"Plastic Fantastic Lover"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHC9NANKluU

numbersix
Stiff Little Fingers, “Inflammable Material”
, 1979

This is the closest album to me geographically. These young Northern Irish have fire in their bellies, and enough sense in their head to take on the thorny issue of The Troubles (such as Alternative Ulster) without leaning towards either side. But it’s the music that works best. The songs are raw, powerful, and catchy as hell.

If ever there was a record to demonstrate the connections between punk music and 50s rock n roll, it’s this. The more melodic moments culminate in Barbed Wire Love, a sort of journey through 20 years of guitar music, from doo wop to punk rock. There’s even a Bob Marley cover that’s miles above the original, with the Jamaican protest song re-imagined for an Irish context while the sharp guitars work in tandem. All these elements combining at the right time and at the right place result in one of my favourite pure punk records.

"Alternative Ulster"

"Johnny Was"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KIdLQDgAn0

Ron Burgundy
The Presets, "Beams"
, 2005

"Girl And The Sea"

"Are You The One?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1D-w5VVLnQ

silversurfer
The Replacements, "Let It Be"
, 1984

It takes a lot of balls to release a record with a title remembered as one of the most highly influential albums of all time by a band many regard as the greatest. Yet here, a little band from Minnesota attempted to carve their own identity into such a title. And, for me at least, they do so with grace. It's a very raw record, embracing rock n roll in all it's brilliance and faults, and it essentially set the template for the future of alternative rock records. While 'Hootenanny', to an extent, explored this emotional heart ache Paul Westerberg had trapped inside him, it wasn't until Let It Be that he fully unleashed it, and in doing so, along with the likes of REM, he was able to craft an American alternative rock record which could capture the heart of it's listener. And for me this is what makes this the greatest thing The 'Mats ever released. How the band were able to bring together their slurred vocals and ramshackle playing into something quite beautiful is miraculous. And in doing so they created the record of a generation, and one which has rarely been bettered.

"Unsatisfied"

"Answering Machine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hDZIiuAbU

transformers
MF Doom, "MMM..Food"
, 2004

Probably the most abstract of MF Doom's album with long samples from 1930's radio shows and the fact that just about every song is either a name of a food or drink or a play on words involving a food or drink. This was the first of Doom's albums that I had heard and it instantly made him one of my favorite rappers.

"Hoe Cakes"

"Kookies"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162QQwSfduA

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.47

englishozzy James Morrison, "Undiscovered", 2006 - "A real random album in my countdown"? I wouldn't really call an album in a countdown which has included James Blunt, Keane, The Kooks, Ray Lamontagne and Jason Mraz "random". In fact, I'm half expecting the likes of Paulo Nutini and David Gray to appear at some point to! [wink]. Anyway, the first song did nothing for me, sounded very average with nothing helping it stand out. Second song was much better, had a nice driving riff throughout and there was a little more urgency in the vocals.

Geezer Dropkick Murphys, "Going Out In Style", 2011 - The first song was fun enough, though I honestly can't tell the difference between one Celtic inspired punk rock song and the next. The second was a little ridiculous. This type of band works on the excitement of their style, when it goes all serious it just doesn't work, and instead they sounded like an old Irish pub band.

Leestu Dead Kennedys, “Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death”, 1987 - Not really an afficianado of the band, though I know their big hits and I have Fresh Fruit on my Amazon wish list (still). The first song was like a mix between The Stooges and The Clean, so I guess a marriage of punk rock and new wave! Second track was much more like I was expecting, good driving surf rock rhythm and a lyrical assault. I'll keep an eye out for it.

NSpan Jefferson Airplane, "Surrealistic Pillow", 1967 - I own this record, have done for many years, but for some reason I rarely listen to it. Obviously I bought it on the back of Someone To Love and White Rabbit, which are both fantastic songs, but as you say they are misnomers compared to the rest of the record, and kind of stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps that's why I've found myself in the position where I've rarely listened to it. I mean, I like much of the music on the record, but in anticipation for another Someone To Love perhaps I was jaded by it? I'm not sure. Anyway, listening to the tracks has reminded me that, removing the two big hits from my mind, the group really did create some wonderful music. Will have to dig this out again.

numbersix Stiff Little Fingers, “Inflammable Material”, 1979 - THIS is the Irish punk rock I love! having had them on my Amazon wish list for years and then being introduced to the band during the song countdown, I bought this record and have never looked back, a fantastic record, and one which in time may grace my own top 100.

Ron Burgundy The Presets, "Beams", 2005 - A very 80s sound to this band, kind of like a mix between Gary Numan and Pet Shop Boys, with a dash of Hot Chip thrown in for good measure. Ambient enough, but didn't really move or inspire me. Second track was more interesting, but I just don't think these guys are for me.

transformers MF Doom, "MMM..Food", 2004 - Interesting, certainly more listenable than most rap, and the radio exerts and samples made it all the more intriguing. As a non-fan of rap, this wasn't half bad. Now where's my big gold medallion...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Again, that sort of easy listening music isn't really my thing. It never really grabs my attention.

Geez: I hate the sound of bagpipes, so that was the first song gone for me. And the second sounds like a lot of celtic ballads you get over here, and they're all a bit twee. And do these guys consider themselves to be Irish or Scottish? Because the bagpipes and the kilts seem to suggest the latter.

Leetsu: Two cool songs. The first was amusing, and the second was just kick-ass. But I'm going to explore some of their official records first.

NSpan: Strangely I preferred the previous album you posted, Crown of Creation, a bit more. This was nice though. Definitely more of a sense of their jamming approach than other songs.

SS: It's on my to-get list. I just have to decide which I prefer more: this or Tim.

Ron B: That wasn't half bad. Hardly original, but I liked the driving rhythm of the second song.

Tranny: The sampling of old songs didn't quite work in the first song, as it felt thrown in at the end. Worked much better in the second. Overall, though, I did enjoy this.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Dropkick Murphy's - Going Out In Style - 9/10
Dead Kennedy's - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death - 7/10
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow - 5/10
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material - 6/10
The Presets - Beams - 6/10
The Replacements - Let It Be - 7/10
MF Doom - MMM...Food - 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy James Morrison, "Undiscovered", 2006
Very pleasant. I better not let Kate hear this, otherwise we'll have the CD in rotation 24-hours a day.

Geezer Dropkick Murphys, "Going Out In Style", 2011
I always enjoy listening to this band in the moment.. but it's not something I'd listen to often enough to warrant a purchase. Just a personal preference thing.. (I had no idea these guys had such a long discography!)

Leestu Dead Kennedys, “Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death”, 1987
Until very recently, I only owned this and Bedtime for Democracy. I didn't know what I was missing by not having Fresh Fruit in my collection. That said, this semi-compilation rocks. Great song choices, by the way.

numbersix Stiff Little Fingers, “Inflammable Material”, 1979
I'm definitely comin' around to this band. A lot of their studio music is blocked on YouTube (here in the U.S., at least), so I might just have to get the damn album.

Ron Burgundy The Presets, "Beams", 2005
Kinda liked both tracks. The first was a bit too self-consciously "retro." But not bad.

silversurfer The Replacements, "Let It Be", 1984
Well, if anybody wasn't a fan when this countdown started... I assume they're converted by now.

transformers MF Doom, "MMM..Food", 2004
I really liked this. I love The Mouse & the Mask. But I kinda figured that relationship was comparable to Dan the Automator and Kool Keith (specifically on the first Dr. Octagon record). Keith/Doom seem to provide consistent raps with (usually) hilarious lyrics and references. Meanwhile, I give Automator/Danger Mouse all the credit for the sound. I think that's true in the case of Dr. Octagon, but it looks like MF Doom can come up with some catchy beats on his own.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.46

Alyson

englishozzy
Bad Religion, "No Control"
, 1989

"Henchman"

"You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PgiBpTtao

Geezer
The Airborne Toxic Event, "The Airborne Toxic Event"
, 2008

1.Wishing Well – 5 stars
2.Papillon – 3 stars
3.Gasoline – 5 stars
4.Happiness is Overrated – 3 stars
5.Does This Mean You're Moving On? - 4 stars
6.This is Nowhere – 4 stars
7.Sometime Around Midnight – 5 stars
8.Something New – 4 stars
9.Missy – 3 stars
10.Innocence – 5 stars
11.The Winning Side – 5 stars

As soon as I discovered this band, I knew they were going to find a special place in my heart. What a breathtaking debut album. I still haven't gotten the chance to see them live, but it is very high on my to do list. Sometime Around Midnight landed very high in my all time favorite songs countdown, and it still holds its place.

"Sometime Around Midnight"

"Innocence" (not the album version, but its fantastic and I couldn't find the album version on youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_NcoCJgzo

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
Modest Mouse, “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”
, 2007

I could not stop listening to this album when I got it, so much so that I was in danger of damaging my wife’s appreciation of the band from over exposure. Along with Good News…it is still currently one of my most often listened to albums and seeing them perform live was one of my musical highlights of last year. Still hoping for a new album from them soon.

“March Into The Sea”

“Parting of the Sensory”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgJqZzS7Dc

NSpan
Guy Clark, "Old No. 1"
, 1975

[IRRELEVANT RAMBLING]

I know that using the term "country music" is enough to make most of you automatically dismiss it as something you wouldn't enjoy. Hell, most of the world has the same reaction. And, sadly, the broad umbrella term is associated with enough garbage that it doesn't seem unreasonable to ditch it altogether. The problem is that you're missing out on some real gems if you aren't willing to give the genre a chance. If you're pointed in the right direction and you're willing to dig just a little bit, some of the world's greatest music is waiting to be unearthed.

"Classic" country is a part of American roots music, and it is closely associated with bluegrass, folk and the blues. Like it or not, it was ESSENTIAL in the evolution of what we call "rock and roll" today. Some of the greats from the early eras included Hank Williams, Gene Autry, Bob Wills, etc. From there, the genre went in two very different directions.

The "Nashville sound" embraced polished, clean, bankable singers who were professional performers and talented storytellers. It was family-friendly, and it was as much tradition as it was business. The absolute pinnacle of this formula, in my opinion, was Johnny Cash. He wasn't an innovator--he didn't write much and nobody ever pretended that he was a prodigy when it came to musicianship. But, damn, did he make those songs sound good. He was larger than life. He had a tremendous voice, and he was a genius showman. He could take any song and make it his own. Lesser examples of "the Nashville sound" would include just about everything you see on CMT (if you don't know what that is, count yourself lucky).

The other faction came from--and gathered in--Texas and California (hence the "Bakersfield sound"). These were the true independent singer/songwriters who lived mostly on the road and lacked the financial/political backing of Nashville. As a result, their appearance--and their music--was a bit rougher around the edges. They made names for themselves playing original music to small crowds at dive bars. The true talent emerged quickly and, from that, the world got: Merle Haggard, Dale Watson, Buck Owens, and countless others. Nashville, being the metaphorical "evil empire" in this story, shunned anyone who resisted it.

In defying Nashville, the term "Outlaw Country" originated. People misinterpret the title and think it refers to the artists' sordid pasts and encounters with the law. Though that is oftentimes an appropriate connection, the term directly refers to breaking Nashville's traditions. As a Texan, I believe this is the best thing that happened to country music since Hank Williams Sr. The so-called outlaws included Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, Townes Van Zandt, Kris Kristofferson, Guy Clark, etc. It should be noted that Johnny Cash eventually re-marketed himself as an "outlaw." It wasn't a huge stretch, considering his solid relationship with the counter-culture and his relatively rebellious lifestyle. He had gotten famous enough that he no longer needed to follow anybody's rules. Though it may have been primarily a business decision, it resulted in some of Johnny Cash's best records and collaborations.

[/IRRELEVANT RAMBLING]

[RELEVANT RAMBLING]

Guy Clark is often overlooked even among self-proclaimed fans of country. Though an "outlaw" (in the Nashville sense), he's maintained a relatively low profile throughout his 40+ year career. He had a close relationship with troubled fellow singer/songwriter, Townes Van Zandt, and their careers are similar in the sense that they are both "musician's musicians." You'll notice both of their names dropped whenever any successful country star is asked about their influences and idols. Also like Van Zandt, Clark's music might be more famous by way of covers than the original songs and recordings. That isn't to say his skills as a performer aren't top-notch. It's just that when the likes of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and David Allan Coe are covering your tunes, it's hard to claw your way back into the spotlight. This debut album set a high standard, but Clark's discography is amazingly consistent. He still tours and releases great music. I saw him live just a few years ago in Austin, and he sounds as good as ever.

[/RELEVANT RAMBLING]

SIDE A
Rita Ballou
L.A. Freeway
She Ain't Goin' Nowhere
A Nickel for the Fiddler
That Old Time Feeling

SIDE B
Texas 1947
Desperados Waiting for the Train
Like a Coat from the Cold
Instant Coffee Blues
Let Him Roll

"Desperados Waiting for a Train"

"L.A. Freeway"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa7EkXpy8jE

numbersix
Tom Waits, “Blue Valentine”
, 1978

I’ve always favoured Tom Waits’ 80s records, the ones that took his barroom jazz and added a dollop of Beefheart madness. But it’s unfair to dismiss the previous decade of records as traditional. Waits took his boozy persona in interesting jazzy directions, most notably in this record.

Blue Valentine stretches from the seedy to the sentimental. There’s a magnificent version of the West Side Story song Somewhere, the saccharine music brought down to earth by the gravelly vocals, and Kentucky Avenue will tug at the strings of even the coldest heart. On the counter-side there’s the moody Red Shoes By the Drugstore, the finger-clicking Romeo is Bleeding, and the devastatingly hurt Blue Valentine. Waits manages to hold it all together with his trademark wit and captivating storytelling abilities. With the simplest twists of a phrase the man can take you into his unique world.

"Red Shoes by the Drugstore"

"Blue Valentines"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjoPrlWP2e0

Ron Burgundy
Chemical Brothers, "Surrender"
, 2005

"Out Of Control"

"Dream On"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd03Qqnhxck

silversurfer
Robert Johnson, "King Of The Delta Blues Singers"
, 1961

While so many great bands took influence from the blues to craft their own brand of music, I came about the genre reverse mode. After falling in love with the blues inspired garage rock of The White Stripes, The Greenhornes, The Gories and The Dirtbombs, I then progressed onto Led Zeppelin and the 60s British Blues bands, before finally finding a couple of original blues records which Jack White had long proclaimed the best of the best. One of those was by a bluesman reknowned for selling his soul to the devil at a crossroads so that he could become a musical legend. Robert Johnson didn't just gain the talent of a musician from Satan though, as his wailing voice certainly seems have a hint of the ghoulish within it, and combined with such intricate finger picking and tales of hellhounds, wife beating and cheating women, he literally set the bar of what blues singers should sound like. King Of The Delta Blues Singers is a devastating listen, truly taking you to the heart of the blues. So while it may have taken me a while to get there, once I did I fell hook line and sinker in love with it.

"Walkin' Blues"

"Cross Road Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2jXjV9Z8A
heck, these are only short, here's a third:
"Hellhound On My Trail"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVgH9JqSnQ

transformers
Coheed and Cambria, "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness"
, 2005

Coheed and Cambria followed my number 49 album on the list, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, with another masterpiece in From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. Their slight metal tinge came more into the forefront of their music, the songs were written on a more grand scale, and the band had never played tighter or sounded better.

"Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)"

"Willing Well II: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxftrePf7I0

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: You constasntly surprise me. From James Morrison to punk rock? These guys seem decent, like a mix between traditional punk and pop punk.

Geez: It wasn't bad. If you are into The Killers, Kings of Leon, or Gaslight Anthem you generally seem to like this band. I'm not into any of them but it's still listenable enough.

Leetsu: An interesting pick, as it's certainly seen as one of their lesser albums. Still, there's some good tracks on it, particularly Parting of the Sensory and Fire it Up.

NSpan: I always try to give country a chance, as a lot of artists I like (labelled as alt-country) are obviously influenced by these guys. This wasn't bad, I kinda dug the lyrics, but the music doesn't grab me enough, it's a little prosaic.

Ron B: I was never a huge fan of Chemical Bros but they have some cool songs. I liked the first song, and the second was pleasant.

SS: Those songs were awesome. I've always respected Johnson's music but maybe I need to get this and really listen to it.

Tranny: Although this seems like a fusion of a lot of genres I'm not into (emo, metal, prog), I didn't mind listening to it.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.46

englishozzy Bad Religion, "No Control", 1989 - I think it was Geez or his brother who picked one of their records earlier in the countdown, and that was ok. This was better, especially the second song. Very entertaining and reminded me a little of early Green Day, who obviously must have seen these guys as an inspiration.

Geezer The Airborne Toxic Event, "The Airborne Toxic Event", 2008 - I think it may have been you who introduced these to us during the song countdown. With an air of The Hold Steady about them, they're like a less stadium rock version of The Killers. But I like them. I picked up this record on your recommendation and while it's not a record I have on constant spin I do like to listen to it every once in a while.

Leestu Modest Mouse, “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”, 2007 - Man, I'm with you, seems like an age since they released this. I too listened to it a lot. Not as much a favourite as Good News, but some great songs on here, they kind of twisted their sound into sort of sea shanties, and it works! And when we saw them last year they played a lot of this record which sounded even better live.

NSpan Guy Clark, "Old No. 1", 1975 - Seems kind of fitting that you post a country song the same day I post a blues record. There are obviously similar origins to the two genres, but for the most part I've always resisted the predominantly cleaner sound of country in favour of the the rawness of the blues. I think that generally I just always felt that country was like the automated machine compared to blues' soul and beating heart. Perhaps I haven't given the genre a fair go, and maybe I'm thinking primarily of this Nashville Country you are referring to. Though I do know Townes Van Zant and Johnny Cash, I can't say I know too much more about the Outlaws, and certainly not Guy Clark. And like six, I like much of the Alt-Country acts around right now. So I should like this branch of the movement. Anyway, this was decent, not the country I'm overly familiar with. Very much a more 70s vibe than the soul sapping stuff you hear nowadays. Not something I'd immediately pick up, but definitely listenable.

numbersix Tom Waits, “Blue Valentine”, 1978- While the second song certainly had more appeal, I just didn't really get the same inspiration I have gotten from the likes of Swordfishtrombones. I don't know why, perhaps the music supporting the vocals were just too barren, but I couldn't find anything to draw me in and keep me there.

Ron Burgundy Chemical Brothers, "Surrender", 2005 - Some really strong tracks on this record, aided by some great guest vocal accompaniments. Don't listen to it all that often anymore, but certainly when in the right mood it's a great album.

transformers Coheed and Cambria, "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness", 2005 - Hmm, preferred the other songs. These sounded like a more metal version of Panic At The Disco! Didn't appeal.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas, and you're all up and running to resume the countdown. Need next picks from ozzy, Geez, Bleedblackandblue, NSpan and tranny.