Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.50

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Radiohead, "The Bends"
, 1995

Just like Smashing Pumpkins, it took me a long while to get into Radiohead. For some reason there music never appealed to me growing up but their songs have been slowly growing on me.I now know the reason why a lot of their albums are high up in Best Of lists.

"Bones"

"Street Spirit"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTB-iiecqk

Geezer
Black Sabbath, "Paranoid"
, 1970

1.War Pigs – 5 stars
2.Paranoid – 5 stars
3.Planet Caravan – 2 stars
4.Iron Man – 5 stars
5.Electric Funeral – 3 stars
6.Hand of Doom – 3 stars
7.Rat Salad – 3 stars
8.Fairies Wear Boots - 5 stars

The best album from the Godfathers of metal. A classic to kick off the second half of the countdown.

"Paranoid"

"War Pigs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCyOWLrRTE

BleedBlackandGold
Sex Pistols, "Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols"
, 1977

You all knew this was coming. Though the short lived group only made one record it was a great one! For the record Sid Vicious ruined this band . and FUCK JOHN "Johnny Rotton" LYDON he's an asshole , but they did open a lot of doors.

"EMI"

Leestu
Radiohead, “Pablo Honey”,
, 1993

Objectively I understand that this is not a very highly rated Radiohead album both by critics and fans, but subjectively it is my favourite. I get it, especially if the more experimental and daring later albums like OK Computer were your introduction to Radiohead and you retroactively listened to this comparitively more traditional guitar rock album. Personally though I bought this just after Creep was released at a time when I was looking for quality new music and this filled a void for me. In my opinion it’s an under rated and under appreciated album.

“Anyone Can Play Guitar”

“Thinking About You”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXTyN2m8ZUQ

NSpan
The Grateful Dead, "Workingman's Dead"
, 1970

Side One
Uncle John's Band
High Time
Dire Wolf
New Speedway Boogie

Side Two
Cumberland Blues
Black Peter
Easy Wind
Casey Jones

Something of a companion-piece to American Beauty, Workingman's Dead employs a similar approach to rollicking folksy tunes (albeit with a more layered production). The recording process was quite different, but the songwriting is clearly from the same era. If I had to describe the sound of this album to someone who has never heard of the band, I'd say it falls somewhere between Crosby Stills Nash & Young and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

"New Speedway Boogie"

"Casey Jones"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQF8CILMt8c

numbersix
James Brown, “The Payback”,
, 1973

The only funk album I own, and it just cracks my Top 50 albums? I need to get me more funk. This album is an abandoned soundtrack for a Blaxploitation flick. I’m sure it’s probably far better than the movie.

At the time I believe Brown had sacked his 60s backing band and hired a bunch of teenagers who grew up on his music and were itching to play. And they played hard and fast, releasing record after record in a short period of time. So while there’s a lack of editing over this 60-minute record, there’s a confidence and talent in the riffs and hooks that means I could stay with them for hours. The title track is getting a bit more play these days (it’s on one of the trailers for Django Unchained), and it’s a personal favourite. But the album doesn’t rely solely on catchy funk, there’s also a lot of earnest soul here as well, giving a sense of balance, and for a brief moment making me forget that Brown was a wife-beating tyrant.

"Doing The Best I Can"

"Take Some… Leave Some"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v67B_EAqho8

Ron Burgundy
Coldplay, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head"
, 2003

"Politik"

"Warning Sign"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2PxjcBl1ZI

silversurfer
Echo And The Bunnymen, "Crocodiles"
, 1980

Despite their more illustrious neighbours, this record has long been my favourite from a Liverpool act. While they went on to bigger and more Gothic things, this debut from Echo And The Bunnymen is a brilliant collection of songs greatly inspired by Television and the Manchester post-punk scene, but adding a little more pop to the proceedings. From the Joy Division-esque atmosphere of "Going Up" through to jaunty "Happy Death Men", Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant sweep through the record with a brooding swagger of confidence, sharp, angular guitars, and perhaps even a little funk. This is a band full of confidence that they can take on the world and beat it. And for the most part, they do.

"Crocodiles"

"Rescue"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ztaw9Zc2Y

transformers
Outkast, "ATLiens"
, 1996

"Two Dope Boys (In A Cadillac)"

"Jazzy Belle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-9eOPAWdA

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#4

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ozman - The Bends, i mirror your thoughts, they def grow. Excellent pick. I wish i could see them live. 10

Geezarino - Paranoid, along with War Pigs, and Mr Crowley are they only Sabbath songs i know. But i know them well. What a fantastic bunch of songs, and i cant wait to explore this album. 8

Bleedagoldheartarino - As im a snob of punk and i dont like the genre. This is actually stuff i can tolerate, and even get into while in the mood, very groundbreaking stuff, nice pick (for punk). 7

Leestaaa(u) - Again, im a big fan of them, radiohead. Actually surprised to see their debut appear so high, but i hear you, its still a good album, and creep is grand. 7.5

Spannaroony - This is the stuff a friend of mine would like, but i need to hear it, again in the right mood. Not what id seek out, but id certainly never turn it off. 5.5

Sixer - WHOA. what a surprise. Thats about all i can say, but its not. I dug this track, and would like to hear more, good stuff man, good stuff. 8.5

Surferosa - You said, sharp, at first i thought no. Then i remember you said confidence, Yes, i didnt think too much of the earlier bunnymen album, but this, this needs exploring, the guitars are cranking just the right amount of interesting, nice. 7

Transforma to tha Manslawta - Fuck yeah, its about time i heard this album, i was late to the outkast party, buying speakerboxx/roses as a mid teen. I liked that, but its not the real Outkast. So glad you chose this as i needed a reminder to get this, well done man, big kudos. 9.5
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Radiohead, "The Bends", 1995
Their second-best album, imo.

Geezer Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970
I love this album. I think your ratings for "Hand of Doom" and "Planet Caravan" are too low!

BleedBlackandGold Sex Pistols, "Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols", 1977
They were about as authentic as The Monkees, but they squeaked out a good album before imploding.

Leestu Radiohead, “Pablo Honey”,, 1993
I hate U2. And this album sounds like U2 (to me, maybe not to you). Nonetheless, there are a handful of tracks that hint of things to come.

numbersix James Brown, “The Payback”,, 1973
James Brown is one of my absolute favorites. But, due to a variety of factors, his albums were almost always uneven. He's best represented on compilations and documents of live performances. Good song selections.

Ron Burgundy Coldplay, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", 2003
I can only take these guys in small doses (seeing them live was an endurance contest), but I dug that first track.

silversurfer Echo And The Bunnymen, "Crocodiles", 1980
I always want to like these guys. But I still haven't really heard anything that matches the immense praise that they get from their fans. That said, I enjoyed these songs more than I expected. Perhaps its their later work that turns me off?

transformers Outkast, "ATLiens", 1996
I own this, but these two tracks didn't exactly inspire me to give it another listen (not immediately, at least), but I've always had a soft spot for these guys. They're one of the more palatable hip-hop groups, in my opinion, and they have an ear for melody--which is oddly rare in the genre.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy and Leets: The Bends was my first Radiohead album. I was pretty much immunre to them in 1995 but eventually I paid attention to Street Spirit, and then I was hooked. The Bends was one of those records I kept discovering songs... even years later the realisation hit me. A really strong album. As for Pablo Honey, I can understand the appreciation ona nostalgic value, but it really does sound like a band who had yet to find their voice, and instead relied too much on others (and a sense of bored MTV sense of irony).

Geez: A great record that nearly made my list. There's no fat on this record. I should really get more albums from these young men.

John L: As much as I love punk, I've never been a big fan of the Pistols. I appreciate what they did for the music scene, as they inspired so many great punk and post-punk acts, but the songs never really hit me. Just compare The Stooges version of No Fun. There's also the argument that these guys were punk poster boys, a sort of Spice Girls of the 1970s (Malcolm MacLaren has essentially said so). It was LYdon's next band, PIL, that really showed that he was the real talent.

NSpan: That first song was really nice. Sounds like a great song to listen to while on the road. And on James Brown, what do you recommend my next purchase should be? I only have Payback and a live album from a 1962 concert.

Ron B: Coldplay are like a mix between Radiohead and The X-Factor. I've never really bought their over-earnest music, it always came across as disingenuous. Though the first song wasn't too bad.

SS: These songs appealed to me much more than your previous pick. There's more of a sense of urgency, a sense of excitement at discovering their sound.

Tranny: These was quite mellow, and very appealing to me. Couldn't make out the lyrics so can't make my usual dismissive comments on hip-hop's misogyny. But I liked the music. It reminded me of The Fugees, but in a good way.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Six -- "James Brown: 50th Anniversary Collection" is only $16.99 on Amazon, and it's a 2-disc, 50-track compilation. You know how hesitant I am to recommend compilations, but trudging through JB's hodgepodge discography is an endeavor for which you'd need major commitment. In the meantime, pick this up. It's amazing.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.50

englishozzy Radiohead, "The Bends", 1995 - Fabulous record, full of a band who finally have found their style. I'll be talking about this much later.

Geezer Black Sabbath, "Paranoid", 1970 - Also surprised to see you rate Hand of Doom rated so low. Another brilliant record which I'll talk about much sooner...

BleedBlackandGold Sex Pistols, "Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols", 1977 - I can still remember picking up this record when I was about 15. I felt so rebellious for even daring to pick up such a record. And it was so exciting to listen to. Gradually over time the excitement of the record waned and the songs were revealed to generally be sub-standard for what the punk genre could actually do. They opened up doors to so many other bands I now love though so I can never fault them totally. But they were essentially a pop band fronted my Malcolm McClaren. But it was a terrific marketing strategy, considering they are still regarded as one of the most rebellious bands ever - hence attracting the attentions of many a teenager.

Leestu Radiohead, “Pablo Honey”,, 1993 - I'll admit I never have any problem with listening to this album. I love tracks Prove Yourself, Blow Out, Ripcord and Anyone Can Play Guitar, but they did improve dramatically from this start point. Just listening to the My Iron Lung EP you can already notice the improvement on the likes of the title track, Lewis and The Trickster, and by the time The Bends was released, for me at least, they finally embodied their own style, not a mish mash of U2 mixed with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana theatrics.

NSpan The Grateful Dead, "Workingman's Dead", 1970 - Decent enough I guess, nice enough to listen to on the road like six mentioned or just to kick band in the house, but like American Beauty I'm just not really appreciating what I'd hope to from the band. I'd much rather listen to something from The Band over this.

numbersix James Brown, “The Payback”,, 1973 - I dunno, I really liked what I heard, not what I expected from James Brown at all, but in the end I just don't think I'd ever be in the mood to listen to an entire record of this. It sounds like the perfect soundtrack to a movie from the 70s, and individually I think I could certainly listen to a song or two, although I was kind of done with the first song after four minutes, but maybe I just need to break down this barrier that stops me from buying this genre of music.

Ron Burgundy Coldplay, "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", 2003 - Like an lounge act version of Radiohead, Coldplay have always felt so inoffensive. I didn't mind Parachutes, there's some decent songs on there, but by this point the U2 influences had started to creep in and I lost interest in the band. They were just not that immediate anymore, and got kind of boring.

transformers Outkast, "ATLiens", 1996 - Bands like Outkast always appealed a little more than most other hip-hop acts for me. They were more accessible, had catchier songs with a real melody to it. These songs didn't appeal even nearly as much, though.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Still waiting on picks from Ozzy, Geez and BleedBlackandBlue. And Aly, obviously...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sent mine, John said he'd get his in tomorrow.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.49

Alyson

englishozzy

Geezer
Guns N' Roses , "Appetite for Destruction"
, 1987

1.Welcome To The Jungle – 5 stars
2.It's So Easy – 3 stars
3.Nightrain – 4 stars
4.Out Ta Get Me – 3 stars
5.Mr. Brownstone – 5 stars
6.Paradise City – 5 stars
7.My Michelle – 5 stars
8.Think About You – 3 stars
9.Sweet Child O' Mine – 5 stars
10.You're Crazy – 3 stars
11.Anything Goes – 3 stars
12.Rocket Queen – 3 stars

An essential album in the history of rock music. Guns N' Roses just defined late 80's Rock. The best album from the year of my birth. Their crowning achievement.

"Sweet Child O' Mine"

"Welcome to the Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
Placebo, “Without You I’m Nothing”,
, 1998

This album has some great catchy rocking singles (Pure Morning, Every You Every Me, You Don’t Care About Us) but I love Brian Molko’s distinctive emotional voice and it is the slower songs where this comes to the fore that contributes to making it a favourite of mine.

“My Sweet Prince”

“Burger Queen”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olpd0Nkn6h8

NSpan
Funkadelic, "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On"
, 1974

SIDE ONE
Red Hot Mama
Alice in My Fantasies
I'll Stay
Sexy Ways

SIDE TWO
Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of Bitch in Him
Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts

I originally picked this up along with One Nation Under a Groove, and--though I've explored the band's entire discography since--these records are still two of my favorites. Only one Funkadelic album can top these, but I'll get to that later. Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On represents a high-water mark for the band, in terms of creativity and musicianship. Guitarist Eddie Hazel never sounded better. The fact that he co-wrote every track (along with George Clinton and, in one case, Bernie Worrell) makes this album a showcase for Hazel's talents. That said, Funkadelic is not a one-man show. Their ensemble approach is as strong as ever here; that collaborative vibe resonates in the music. The end result is an "everyone is welcome" tone, complimented by lyrics that urge listeners to "get together"--in a variety of ways...

"Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On"

"I'll Stay"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIWebkeFMg

numbersix
My Bloody Valentine, “Isn’t Anything”
, 1988

Probably the most recent addition to my list of favourite records, I only discovered this one earlier in the year when they were given a long-awaited re-release (their last two albums and a collection of EPs). I could never get into MBV, and I think that’s because I only knew them through their Loveless record. While critics label their last album as the pinnacle of indie rock, I found it hard to relate to it on an emotional level. There’s too much focus on the (admittedly dense) production and perhaps not enough on the songs.

However, it’s their previous album (the first with their new line-up. Their history is too messy to explain here) that is their best. Isn’t Anything is the greatest guitar album about sex I’ve ever heard. It’s as horny as hell but doesn’t need to be aggressive or mask it in fake sentimentality. The balance of male and female vocals ensures it’s not just the musings of a masturbatory adolescent. And there’s more of a harsh edge to the music, despite still fitting the dreamy, shoegaze label. It’s a magnificent and atmospheric album.

"Cupid Come"

"Nothing Much to Lose"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THvSCKqN0MY

Ron Burgundy
Rammstein, "Mutter"
, 2001

"Speiluhr"

"Mein Herz Brennt"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwZrwogLIc

silversurfer
Pavement, "Slanted And Enchanted"
, 1992

The combination of Stephen Malkmus’s breaking guitar tone and sideways singing is what drew me into Pavement – how he can be ironic and earnest at the same time is quite masterful. They seemed to emerge at exactly the wrong time, or right time, which ever side of the fence you are on. With grunge riding high it would always be tough for a unique, fuzz infused band like Pavement to succeed. But at the same time they are exactly what the music scene needed. They are for me a band who possess everything a great band should: catchy melodies, equally memorable guitars, quirks that only reveal themselves upon repeated listening, and lyrics that you want to quote to all of your friends. It still feels hard to believe this record is 20 years old already, as it still sounds so fresh and young today. And long may this freshness continue to influence emerging bands of the future, as Slanted And Enchanted is just 'one of those records' - a record which few own, but those who do go on to form bands of their own. If only I had an ounce of musical talent...

"In The Mouth A Desert"

"Perfume-V"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiCookGu0E

transformers
Coheed and Cambria, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3"
, 2003

"In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3"

"The Velorium Camper III: Al the Killer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llr1e5tCWiU

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hmmm, here I was thinking the break would have reinvigorated everyone. Instead we seem to be losing momentum by the day...

Album No.49

Geezer Guns N' Roses , "Appetite for Destruction", 1987 - An album I rarely listen to anymore, but I did love GnR back in my later primary years while everyone else was listening to Bros. I can still remember wearing my black t-shirt with skulls of Axl and Slash on and basically being shunned from my classmates. It wasn't like these guys were a small band, but I guess kids into heavy rock music was a no-no... Anyway, some great rock anthems on there, I actually really like It's So Easy, while Welcome To The Jungle is one of the best introductions to an album, and a band, that you can get. Unfortunately it has dated a little and its immediacy has been lost a little. Still, for a while this was the best thing on the planet.

Leestu Placebo, “Without You I’m Nothing”,, 1998 - Man, haven't listened to this in a LONG time. Must get it out again. Can't help but think you're underselling this record. The faster songs are what made this a record I continued to listen to over and over again during my teens. Pure Morning, Brick Shithouse, Every You Every Me, You Don't Care About Us, man, they are rock anthems which never get old. And while on the whole the record, for me at least, doesn't live up to the angst of their debut, it is a very addictive record. Hate Burger Queen though, never appealed to me at all.

NSpan Funkadelic, "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On", 1974 - Much like six's pick yesterday, I can certainly hear the appeal, it's a very catchy bit of music, but I just can't see myself listening to something like this very often. Maybe I just don't have that 'groove' to fully appreciate it. It was a little more accessible than James Brown, but in the end I think this would just spend too long in my collection without actually finding the right mood to be played in. I must be a miserable bastard...

numbersix My Bloody Valentine, “Isn’t Anything”, 1988 - Interestingly enough I've never really found myself able to truly immerse myself in this record, while Loveless had the complete opposite effect, and had much more of an atmosphere I could truly explore. There's some very nice tracks on here, and ones which hint at the direction the band would follow, but for me it's the sound of a band not quite at their pinnacle.

Ron Burgundy Rammstein, "Mutter", 2001 - You can hear how indebted these guys are to the likes of NIN, and perhaps even a little Depeche Mode, but for me there is a big gap in actual ability. Rammstein always came off to me like a band trying to bridge the gap in the Industrial Metal genre, bringing the genre into the 21st Century. But I'd much rather just listen to those other acts, as they did it so much better. The first track here though showed a little variety in the band, not something I was expecting from them, but overall it still didn't really maintain my attention.

transformers Coheed and Cambria, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", 2003 - Been meaning to hear what these guys are like for many years now, I know there has always been a bit of buzz surrounding them in the heavy rock circles, but haven't had a real chance to listen to them yet. Sounded a little like Funeral For A Friend. Not sure if that's a positive thing anymore though. Listenable, but not the stand out music I was hoping for.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer Guns N' Roses , "Appetite for Destruction", 1987
These guys were always just one small misstep from becoming Spinal Tap. But, despite themselves, they managed to pump out a few great records before transforming into a parody of themselves (see: the "new" Guns N' Roses). Glad to see that you appreciate "My Michelle" and "Mr. Brownstone" as much as I do. In an era of hair and glam, GNR played it straight--and, for that reason, their music still stands up today.

Leestu Placebo, “Without You I’m Nothing”,, 1998
I could've sworn I owned a couple records from this band... but I'm not seeing it in my collection. Anyway, I've been meaning to check them out more. I like what I hear.

numbersix My Bloody Valentine, “Isn’t Anything”, 1988
I hate the Conway version of the band; they should have changed their name after his departure. But I love everything else they released. In total, I currently own "Geek" "The New Record By" "Feed Me With Your Kiss" "You Made Me Realize" "Glider" "Loveless" "and Tremolo" ... why don't I own this?

Ron Burgundy Rammstein, "Mutter", 2001
These guys got a huge media push in the late 90s. It was odd that such fringe music was brought into the mainstream spotlight. Unfortunately, I don't know if they really utilized that opportunity--and I never thought they quite lived up to the hype. These tracks didn't manage to change my stance.

silversurfer Pavement, "Slanted And Enchanted", 1992
At their pinnacle, I didn't give these guys the attention they deserved. But I've always dug what I've heard, and I've been making a point to catch up ever since!

transformers Coheed and Cambria, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", 2003
They have a bit of a Rush thing going on. Both tracks had highs and lows. Loved it when they were sounding like At the Drive-In, but there were moments where it sounded more like nu-metal (System of a Down, maybe?)... I didn't like that aspect. Fortunately, those few regrettable moments were outweighed by what I did enjoy.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geez: GnR are a band I can no longer take seriouusly, not since I stopped liking them at 13. I guess they're intentionally tongue-in-cheek (And Axl is pure self-parody) but that does them no favours when they try to be more serious.

Leetsu: I never got into Placebo that much. The music was never strong enough. That first song was very nice, though.

NSpan: More funk! When I started listening to the first song I felt nothing, but at some point it totally clicked. Perhaps you need to be in a funk to enjoy this genre. The second song was good, and I couldn't help but notice similarities with prog-rock. Perhaps they influenced each other.

Ron B: Another self-parodic band. Fun to play on Rock Band. They're amusing in bursts but I couldn't get through a full album.

SS: Yet another loved band I never really found the time to explore. And those tracks changed my mind. I loved them. They have the sloppiness of Dinosaur Jr but the energy of an early Pixies (especially the first track). I've heard several songs throughout their career, but this sounds more like my kinda thing.

Tranny: Prog meets metal. Six cries.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Ben Lee, "Awake is the New Sleep", 2005

Pretty easy-listening with catchy tunes, an album that was everywhere when I first came to Australia and I still enjoy listening to it.

Catch My Disease

Were All in This Together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZehkuUvuk
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.48

Alyson

englishozzy
Snow Patrol, "Final Straw"
, 2003

Not so much a fan of their recent music but I really enjoyed this album.

"How to Be Dead"

"Somewhere a Clock is Ticking"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLg7zXlgNus

Geezer
The Clash, "The Clash"
, 1977

1.Janie Jones – 5 stars
2.Remote Control – 4 stars
3.I'm So Bored With The U.S. A. - 4 stars
4.White Riot – 4 stars
5.Hate & War – 4 stars
6.What's My Name – 3 stars
7.Deny – 4 stars
8.London's Burning – 4 stars
9.Career Opportunities – 5 stars
10.Cheat – 4 stars
11.Protex Blue – 3 stars
12.Police and Thieves – 5 stars
13.48 Hours – 4 stars
14.Garageland – 5 stars

The debut album from the Clash is one of the all-time great first albums. This band hit the scene and quickly became the only band that mattered. Just raw, real and in your face, song after song just totally killing it.

"Career Opportunities"

"Garageland"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryy-KIAqL2Y

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
Wolfmother, “Wolfmother”
, 2005

You could say that this is a very derivative album, but I prefer to think of it as proudly wearing their influences on their sleeves. Either way the result is a very accessible album, where every song is great, full of great guitar riffs and psychedelic influenced music, and if it inspires young listeners to seek out the influences is that a bad thing? Personally I was hooked on first listen and there was a while there where I started every day by putting on this fun feel good album and cranking it up full volume. I will choose two songs, but with difficulty because seriously…I recommend listening to the album as a whole.

“Colossal”

“Tales From the Forest of Gnomes”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76Ld7R5m9Y

NSpan
The Rapture, "Pieces of the People We Love"
, 2006

Six introduced me to this band during the Song Countdown, and they quickly became one of my favorites. I now own everything they've released, I've seen them perform here in L.A., and I even got my fiancée the obligatory concert tee. This particular album is far and away my favorite of the bunch. I've described their style as "post-post-punk disco" (I've applied the same label to the Bright Light Social Hour--another band that appears on my list). With the end of the world coming in just a few days, I figure The Rapture will make for some good listening this week!

Don Gon Do It
Pieces of the People We Love
Get Myself Into It
First Gear
The Devil
Whoo! Alright-Yeah...Uh Huh
Calling Me
Down for So Long
The Sound
Live in Sunshine

"The Devil"

"Whoo! Alright Yeah...Uh Huh."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yeIhUz8fM

Note: this second song ends at 3:45. Not sure why the video goes on for another three minutes. I couldn't find the album-version of "Don Gon Do It" -- but these tracks should suffice!

numbersix
PJ Harvey, “Let England Shake”
, 2011

I’ve been a dedicated fan of PJ Harvey for about 15 years now, buying her records whenever they come out, and seeing her play live whenever I can (twice, and both were magnificent). But I wasn’t expecting she still had the capacity to blow me away like this. Reinvention isn’t quite the word, but her leaning towards folk music was new to her style. And here she has made a concept album in which she channels her problems with modern England by revisiting the great poetry and art of WWI. This is complicated further by her ironic juxtaposition of military arrogance and modern governmental self-denial.

The music itself is exceptional, at times dramatic, at other times serene. Her use of the autoharp ensures an aural identity, and her occasional references to music from around the world makes the overall album sound intriguing and exciting. On Battleship Hill is a powerful and moving song, and single The Words That Maketh Murder is damn catchy, demonstrating the range of this brilliant concept.

"On Battleship Hill"

"The Words That Maketh Murder"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0w5pxFkAM

Ron Burgundy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By The Way"
, 2002

"Universally Speaking"

"Minor Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VU2kdbANwA

silversurfer
Black Sabbath, "Paranoid"
, 1970

As a fan of the blues, seeing a band like Black Sabbath taking the genre and twisting it to suit their own, at times more intense character, not to mention a large dose of Blue Cheer and Cream, but still keeping the pop alive, this is a record which continues to surprise. I own a couple of other Sabbath records, but this is the one with the big hits, the big riffs, the real attitude, which keeps me coming back. Songs like War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man are played to death for good reason, they are some of the cornerstones of heavy rock, the bass is slowed right down but still kicks ass, allowing breathing space for the guitars to sound like sirens, while Ozzy is at his very finest - inducing the listener with an intoxicating mix of the macabre and menace. Never have the blues been quite so heavy, and its awe inspiring.

"Jack The Stripper/ Faeries Wear Boots"

"Iron Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMTLg8bQO8

transformers
The Red Chord, "Clients"
, 2005

Some of the most extreme music ever made from a group of guys that grew up about 15 minutes from my hometown in Revere, Massachusetts. The Red Chord is most criminally underrated extreme metal band of the 21st century. Their combination of the raw intensity and energy of hardcore, brutality of death metal, the spastic nature of grindcore, and even some melody some times have solidified them as one of my favorite metal.

"Antman"

"Black Santa"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3G41ms7dw

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.48

englishozzy Snow Patrol, "Final Straw", 2003 - Still not a fan. Just sounds very Coldplay-esque, and considering they sounded nothing like that band prior to this release it always felt like a very contrived effort to appeal more to a larger fanbase. It's melodic enough, so it's listenable, but I just don't get inspired by the music.

Geezer The Clash, "The Clash", 1977 - Brilliant record, and great song choice - I think Career Opportunities is my favourite track on the record. It's The Clash's only purely punk record, but what they did was craft the best of the genre. More on this later.

Leestu Wolfmother, “Wolfmother”, 2005 - Didn't appeal as much as the other tracks previously played, but hasn't put me off looking into getting the album.

NSpan The Rapture, "Pieces of the People We Love", 2006 - y'know, despie loving Echoes, I'm not sure why I've never picked up another record by The Rapture. I think it was maybe because of Get Myself Into It, as the song just never really clicked for me. While neither of these songs quite matched anything off Echoes for me, it definitely has me intrigued to hear more, especially so from the seond song.

numbersix PJ Harvey, “Let England Shake”, 2011 A very good album. I certainly noticed a change in PJ's style which dated back to White Chalk whcih hinted at a move towards folk, but this record embraced it wholeheartedly. It wasn't as immediate for me as some of her previous records, it didn't have the pop hooks which usually grab me on first listen. However, it's a record which for me just kept burrowing inside my heard, and I'd spontaneously start singing the songs in my head while out and about. I love the concept idea too, it just gives the record that bit of extra unity, and the whole record comes together so well now that I can't imagine just listening to songs off it individually (though of course they can be), I have to invest in the entire thing. And that's never a chore!

Ron Burgundy Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By The Way", 2002 - The beginning of the end of RHCP for me. While the band obviously moved closer to a pop sound with this record, truly allowing John Frusciante to extend his arm, it lacked the punch of previous records. Some very nice songs on here, and songs which embraced the band hitting their 40s gracefully, but without that punch I just don't find myself listening to this over some of their previous records.

transformers The Red Chord, "Clients", 2005 - Just a little too angry for me....