Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#4

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: I've become more open to psyche-rock over the past few years. Have you ever heard of Oneida? Their Rated O album is pretty trippy. ... Have you ever read Pitchfork's reviews of The Warlocks? You probably shouldn't!
I'll have to look into Oneida. In the meantime, we're catching The Warlocks this Saturday here in L.A. (and I will continue avoiding Pitchfork in general!)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Thread Recap.

Ozzy: Naturally I like Radiohead "The Bends". Haven't heard any Ben Lee albums but I did enjoy the catchy pop of "Catch My Disease" and "Cigarette's Will Kill You" (probably from a previous album?). I do like Bad Religion; I used to share a house with someone who was a huge fan and nearly every morning I would be woken up to Bad Religion blaring full volume. From that an appreciation grew - not enough to ever own an album - but enough to catch their set at the soundwave festival last year. I'm afraid to say I'm an Aussie who has never, and probably never will, own an AC/DC album - although I did buy the AC/DC rock band game (It was a cheap second hand purchase) - does that count? Got the Kings of Leon album - not as good as their earlier material but a still decent solid album. I should get the Dylan album one day, Tangled Up in Blue is one of my favourite Dylan tracks.

Geezer: Love The Clash album. I've got a couple of Dropkick Murphys albums but while their individual songs are fun I found a whole album a bit too much for one sitting, hadn't heard this newer stuff but again....they were fun. Apart from your featured track during the individual soung countdown I hadn't heard any The Airborne Toxic Event but I quite liked these songs. After hearing these two songs I went back and relistened to the previous selections from the other album you featured, and the four songs combined have prbabaly piqued my interest enough to check out more. Can't fault your Nirvana selection...just your ratings - every song should be at least 4 stars ;) I recently picked up the other Matt and Kim album you featured - not bad at all - listened to it on a long country drive and the whole family got into it and enjoyed it. Now I need to get another one?!?....that's even better?!? Cool, look forward to it.

BB&G - Only one album but a great one. Hope you return...with all your punk selections I am sincerely interested in what would be still to come.

Nspan - I found your Nashville vs outlaw country music lesson absolutely fascinating - no offence but much more so than the music. Frank Black is the only album from these ten I own. As a huge Pixies fan I am not sure why I don't get a similar response with Frank Black. I listened to his debut a bit when it came out, Teenager of the Year a few times but not as much, and then I just sort of drifted away from his music. I still have a few others of his in my collection but I just can't seem to get fully immersed in his music...maybe I just need to try harder? I need to get more Pink Floyd albums, and I like the sound of The Warlocks and will check out more of them. I remember thinking the same thing when I heard them from the individual song countdown so this is a good reminder.

Six: Love the MBV album - didn't make my list but truthfully this and Loveless were both considerations - although (and I might have mentioned this before) - worst gig I've ever seen, but I blame the venue and equipment set up not them. Like "Let England Shake" - can't see it as ever being one of my favourites but it did get played quite a few times in my car stereo on 2012. SLF was already on my list....and they are the only three albums from these ten I have heard. I am keen to get the Tom Waits album, and I loved the Spiritualized songs and must get ALL of their albums apart from Lazer Guided Melodies - the only one I already have. James Brown is an unusual one for me. I don't really enjoy listening to his songs whoever I do always seem to enjoy watching videos of him performing live.

....rest to come later

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:Nspan - I found your Nashville vs outlaw country music lesson absolutely fascinating - no offence but much more so than the music
No offense taken. Thanks for reading the novella and giving the music a chance. ;)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

By the way Nspan - I got Baby Darling Doll Face Honey and have listened to it a few times now. Not bad. Starts off pretty awesome with the first four songs ( I love Light of the Morning, and Death by Diamonds and Pearls), and at that stage of the album I sort of got why you asked me about it in your Wolfmother response. After that it changes direction and tends to lose a little bit of momentum, however still good enough to keep me listening (I like Hollywood Bowl, and the closer Cold Fame). What is interesting is my wife (who has an excellent taste in music - similar to mine with slight differences here and there) likes the second half of the album much more than the first, which works well for us, ensuring the whole album gets a hearing lol.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I agree that the album is somewhat front-loaded. But mostly just in terms of immediate accessibility. Anything that didn't jump out and grab me upon first few listens eventually won me over. When I saw them perform live, they played the entire album. And the ONLY song that didn't have the entire audience entranced was "Dull Gold Heart" ... which remains my least favorite track.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Thread recap cont.

Ron: A lot of bands I like the singles/songs of but not enough to get the albums, in fact probably everything except Daft Punk. Although with Hilltop Hoods I do actually have this album (my favourite track is The Nosebleed Section) as well as The Hard Road, and State of the Art. I quite like skip-hop (maybe it's my patriotism) and these guys as well as The Herd, are the top of the pile in terms of quality.

Surfer: More than one crossover from my list here so I'm not going to say too much, but liked everything here really, although I'm not a huge fan of Sabbath or the blues, but it's still good.
I've listened to a couple of your picks from previous threads lately. I got the Mcclusky album and the Secret Machines album. Quite liked the Secret Machines. I've listened to it a couple of times now with Daddys in the Doldrums being the highlight, and 10 000 Seconds also an initial favourite. As to the Mcclusky album I am infatuated with it and just keep listening to it. I've added it to my phone so I can listen to it anywhere, I have played song selections to my friends. By a long way it's the best album I have found from this project. I hadn't heard of them but after some research found out a couple of members are in Future of the Left, who I do own an album of (Travels with Myself and Another), and listened to it a bit a couple of years ago. It's a good album. Interesting to hear Mcclusky is where they came from.

transformers: Not much here for me, but I did appreciate Jedi Mind Tricks, more so lyrically than musically, and ditto with Atmosphere, who seem more interesting to me than most. Kept me listening to the words where most rap songs don't.