Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums Of All Time (Thread #6) #50-#4

Post by numbersix »

I'd say a lot of em are away from their respective nets.

Thinking of doing a Top 6 albums and tunes of 2012 over the next few days. You want to join me?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I was in the process of narrowing down to 20 albums for the year! I suppose I could try and condense it... or at least just make a mention of all my favourites!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Surfer it's kinda funny you bring up The Hold Steady now, I'm going to see them on Sunday. They are playing a show with Lucero (the alt-country band once already featured on this countdown). Two bands that were both introduced to me from people I met on the web. Pretty awesome how that works.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

meant to post this yesterday, but i didn't get around to the last two tracks until just now:

englishozzy Bad Religion, "No Control", 1989
I kinda enjoyed that first track... in fact, these guys have released several individual songs that I like. But I still blame them for creating the particular blend of generic pop-punk that would overtake the airwaves in the 90s. If it meant sparing the world from Green Day, I would willingly eliminate Bad Religion from history.

Geezer The Airborne Toxic Event, "The Airborne Toxic Event", 2008
I know that first song... didn't realize it was this band. Catchy stuff, but also very self-conscious. I know you enjoy anthemic music--so it makes sense that you'd dig this. A bit too much U2-esque bombast for me.

Leestu Modest Mouse, “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank”, 2007
It's interesting to listen to how their sound evolved from the mid-90s to more modern times. A lot of bands fade away without ever really progressing. I personally prefer Modest Mouse's early LPs and EPs over the more recent stuff... but they're clearly still putting effort into their compositions. I could see them experiencing a re-revival.

numbersix Tom Waits, “Blue Valentine”, 1978
Great album. I've been a fan of Tom Waits since I was young, but I believe it was you that got me to fully appreciate this particular record. The title track is one of my all-time favorites.

Ron Burgundy Chemical Brothers, "Surrender", 2005
Neither of these tracks completely grabbed me... but they did serve as a reminder that I'm probably missing out by having absolutely nothing by these guys in my collection..

silversurfer Robert Johnson, "King Of The Delta Blues Singers", 1961
I own the Complete Recordings, and I'm a huge fan. My approach to this countdown essentially excluded classic blues (and country, for that matter) through my self-applied rule of "no compilations." Seeing as proper LPs weren't standard until the late 50s / early 60s, that eliminated a lot of potential picks from my library of music. But this material is definitely worth a place on lists like these. Have you explored any of his contemporaries?

transformers Coheed and Cambria, "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness", 2005
There is a sort of Megadeth-style appeal to it all--and I still can't shake the Rush / At the Drive-In vibe. I didn't think the first track needed more than one vocal track, the chorus-effect tilted the scales toward "silly." And that second song caught me off guard. I know I usually complain that your metal is TOO heavy... but, in this case, I'm longing for that immediacy and weight.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Airborne Toxic Event - The Airborne Toxic Event - 8/10
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead before the Ship Even Sank - 7/10
Guy Clark - Old No.1 - 4/10
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine - 5/10
Chemical Brothers - Surrender - 4/10
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blue Singers - 4/10
Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo - 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.45

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
AC/DC, "Highway to Hell"
, 1979

An iconic Aussie band that every Aussie should have at least one album in their top countdown list. Finally available on iTunes although I already own most of their albums.

"If You Wan't Blood (You've Got It)"

"Walk All Over You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHSwaVeStXw

Geezer
Sum 41, "All Killer, No Filler"
, 2001

1.Introduction to Destruction – N/A
2.Nothing On My Back – 4 stars
3.Never Wake Up – 3 stars
4.Fat Lip – 5 stars
5.Rhythms – 5 stars
6.Motivation – 4 stars
7.In Too Deep – 5 stars
8.Summer – 5 stars
9.Handle This – 5 stars
10.Crazy Amanda Bunkface – 4 stars
11.All She's Got – 4 stars
12.Heart Attack – 5 stars
13.Pain for Pleasure – 3 stars

An absolute staple all throughout High School, I really didn't anticipate this being this high on my list. I hadn't listened to it in a while when I sat down to make this list, but when I did, every reason I loved it back then came rushing back. High energy pop punk makes for just an incredibly fun album that brings me right back to my teenage years. Their next album was great too, but nothing came close to this.

"Fat Lip"

"In Too Deep"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
The The, “Infected”
, 1986

It may be a short album (only 8 songs, 4 of which were singles) but it is an epic album. As good as the awesome singles are the album tracks are even better. I am not sure how readily available it is but for added pleasure I recommend watching the video version of the album. Videos were made for all of the songs with a constant theme and style making for a sort of mini movie musical.

“Out of the Blue (Into the Fire)”

“Twilight of a Champion”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbIVgiGE-8

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Tricky, “Maxinquaye”
, 1995

Trip-hop, that long forgotten genre of the 90s. For a while it completely dominated the music world, thanks to the success of Massive Attack and how easily the songs seemed to fit ads and music soundtracks. It’s only a pity the majority of fans of the genre mostly played it during dinner parties to convey a “chilled” mood. But there were good records out there, and I place Tricky’s debut at the genre’s tip.

Having been booted out of Massive Attack for being too lazy, Tricky dragged with him some of the same samples and lyrics from MA’s Protection. But Tricky bettered his now rivals by employing the sultry vocals of Martina Topley-Bird and playing down some hazy beats, creating a warm if not intoxicating mood.

"Overcome"

"Black Steel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHl5djnYM4

Ron Burgundy
Daft Punk, "Homework"
, 1997

"Alive"

"Around The World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yca6UsllwYs

silversurfer
Suede, "Dog Man Star"
, 1994

While Suede had shaken up the pop world with their last minute appearance at the Brits to play Animal Nitrate before releasing their bombastic debut, it has always been the quieter, more introverted and sobering follow up Dog Man Star that has been my favourite record of the band. Following their dramatic rise to stardom before crumbling under the weight of expectation to front the Britpop movement and Bernard Butler's constant agitation with the rest of the band, Suede retreated to the studio trying to distance themselves from the likes of Blur, Oasis and Pulp. Maintaining Butler's ability to craft songs which the likes of Marr and Squire would be proud, they went for a more experimental approach to their music, and for me it is their most beautiful record. While tracks like We Are Pigs, This Hollywood Life and New Generation proved they could still accomplish the exciting bravado of their debut, it was on the likes of Heroine, The Wild Ones and The 2 Of Us that the group really proved they had an added string to their bow, the vital element which could separate them from the rest of the movement. While the original line-up would eventually implode with lead guitarist Butler thrown out of the band, this record is testament for what they could achieve, some of the very best guitar pop music of the 90s.

"The Wild Ones"

"We Are Pigs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxtIwh1Nz0k

transformers
The Black Dahlia Murder, "Nocturnal"
, 2007

"What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse"

"Deathmask Divine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxAaCjsYq0
Last edited by silversurfer19 on December 29th, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Frank Black - Black Letter Days (2002)

Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV... er, "Frank Black" has had two major career peaks, in my opinion. Once with the Pixies--the details of which I'll get into soon enough--and once (so far) during his solo career. To be clear, I don't think the guy has ever put out a bad album in his nearly 25-year career. But within that spectrum of greatness, there are some definite high points. After the Pixies disbanded, Frank Black's sound still sounded very much like his old band. It makes sense: he was the primary creative force, after all. With each release, he fine-tuned his signature sound as it evolved from college surf-rock to something more unique... something with a distinct singer/songwriter vibe but with equal debts to his former legacy and (surprisingly) country music. The 2002 double-release of Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop was like Christmas morning for his fans. They were recorded separately, and they have distinct sounds. But for those following his career path, the two albums could have been released as a lavish double-LP. As it stands, I slightly prefer the former... it's a bit darker, and it feels a bit more ambitious. The album is book-ended by two interpretations of the same Tom Waits song--both of which are impressive readings--but it never sounds derivative. Black Letter Days is the definitive portrait of Frank Black's solo career.

The Black Rider
California Bound
Chip Away Boy
Cold Heart of Stone
Black Letter Day
Valentine and Garuda
How You Went So Far
End of Miles
The Farewell Bend
Southbound Bevy
I Will Run After You
True Blue
Jane the Queen of Love
Jet Black River
21 Reasons
Whispering Weed
The Black Rider (reprise)

"1826"

"Cold Heart of Stone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eKEvDkHI0

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

NSpan wrote: silversurfer Robert Johnson, "King Of The Delta Blues Singers", 1961
I own the Complete Recordings, and I'm a huge fan. My approach to this countdown essentially excluded classic blues (and country, for that matter) through my self-applied rule of "no compilations." Seeing as proper LPs weren't standard until the late 50s / early 60s, that eliminated a lot of potential picks from my library of music. But this material is definitely worth a place on lists like these. Have you explored any of his contemporaries?
I kind of followed a similar approach to this countdown, but along with The Buzzcocks Going Steady, I just had to acknowledge my appreciation of my favourite blues records. Although strictly compilations, with no alternative means of listening to their music (other than just the standard 7" singles) I kind of give them a pass. Anyway, I've become a huge fan of the blues over the years, and while I won't reveal what may or may not be forthcoming in the remaining countdown, I can profess that my favourite artists from the genre are probably the likes of Johnson, Charlie Patton, Leadbelly, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, and Blind Willie McTell. And they all have such rich and varied discographies to choose from too!

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Sum 41 - All Killer, No Filler - 9/10
The The - Infected - 7/10
Tricky - Maxinquaye - 6/10
Daft Punk - Homework - 5/10
Suede - Dog Man Star - 7/10
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal - 5/10
Frank Black - Black Letter Days - 6/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Yep, that was fun.

Geez: Sounds like people trying to have fun, but I'm happier being on the fringe, or chatting in the kitchen of this proverbial party.

Leetsu: Like mid 80s Depeche Mode, I like the lyrics but the era just wasn't kind to its music production: it sounds really dated.

Nspan: I always figured that Frank Black just wouldn't be good as a solo artist, that Kim Deal and the other two contributed much to what made the Pixies great. I was a bit right, but I think I've overlooked the talent this guy has. I really enjoyed those two songs, and I have the collection in which he reimagined Pixies songs with the Two Pale Boys.

Ron B: At the time I dismissed Daft Punk as dance (=bad). Thanks to LCD Soundsystem (who had them play at his house, as we all know) I opened up to them a little. Around the World is a great tune, though the first song didn't do much for me.

SS: Suede were one of those alternative 90s guitar bands I just couldn't get into. Animal Nitrate is great, but there's something about the rest of their music that never captivates me. There's no great hooks or intense atmosphere. With this record, the first song did nothing for me but the second was decent.

Tranny: [Non-metal-fan cliche alert]The music wasn't bad, but the vocals kinda spoiled it for me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.44

Alyson

englishozzy
Iron Maiden, "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
, 1988

My favourite Iron Maiden album, Seventh Son is more of a concept album than anything for this band.

"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"

"The Evil that Men Do"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5rvBtjsLY

Geezer
Staind, "Break The Cycle"
, 2001

1.Open Your Eyes – 5 stars
2.Pressure – 4 stars
3.Fade – 5 stars
4.It's Been Awhile – 5 stars
5.Change – 3 stars
6.Can't Believe – 3 stars
7.Epiphany – 5 stars
8.Suffer – 3 stars
9.Safe Place – 4 stars
10.For You – 4 stars
11.Outside – 5 stars
12.Waste – 3 stars
13.Take It – 4 stars

It's difficult to find an album I listened to more throughout high school. One might not exist. This is an album that I remember the exact moment I bought it. The album where Staind truly broke out to the masses, with good reason. Brilliant rock songs like "Outside," "Epiphany" and "Fade" launched the band from the club scene of Springfield, Massachusetts to selling out arenas. It still remains their best.

"Outside"

"Epiphany"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bobskjQwWI

BleedBlackandGold

Leestu
Grinspoon, “Guide to Better Living”
, 1997

A great debut album (again like most Australian bands I like not as successful as their later albums but my favourite of theirs) and the last Aussie act on my countdown. Crossing different genres throughout their career Wikipedia labels them as post grunge but I just call them my favourite live pub rock band (not that they actually play in pubs anymore)…and fifteen years later I will be seeing them perform live again next year.

“Just Ace”

“Don’t Go Away”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFLA-xZ7JU

NSpan

numbersix
Pere Ubu, “Dub Housing”
, 1978

One of the most intense gigs I’ve ever attended was these guys in a small Dublin pub. Listening to album opener Navvy you may think that these guys have a few screws loose (or had a few joints too many) but there’s an ethos behind the madness.

Dave Thomas and his band wanted to rip up music, to show that the traditional melodies and timings didn’t have to be employed to make enjoyable music. So that explains the shrieking, deliberately off-key vocals, and the instruments that clash together. But within this cacophony is something delightful, something unnervingly fun, that makes you want to jitter around the room.

"Navvy"

"Dub Housing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seif2hB88jM

Ron Burgundy
Daft Punk, "Human After All"
, 2005

"Robot Rock"

"Human After All"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSkGW_lEhc

silversurfer
Sonic Youth, "Daydream Nation"
, 1988

[Comments to follow]

"Silver Rocket"

"Hey Joni"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUYK9elJ-s

transformers
Jedi Mind Tricks, "Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell"
, 2006

"Uncommon Valor(A Vietnam Story)"

"Razorblade Salvation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAR1Dgpg_U

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

My second selection seems to now be blocked (or at least it is for me). Can't find another version or on another site, so if it's blocked for you too here's a replacement.

"Champion"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOOnE8X4iQ

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (1975)

After the runaway success of the fourth LP, the boys of Led Zep realized that they were capable of writing original music--and there were far fewer lawsuits when they weren't crediting themselves for others' songs. As much as I love these guys as a blues cover band, I think they were capable of some amazing original compositions. Expanding their repertoire beyond old-school blues allowed them to tap into their full potential. By this point, their music had become infused with doses of prog, jazz, heavy metal, reggae, and even funk ("The Crunge" is a tribute to James Brown). John Paul Jones was already one of the best bassists on the scene (both on stage and on previous albums), but he proved to be something of a prodigy in the studio. He was responsible for pulling together Page's licks, Plants lyrics, and Bonham's blistering percussion into a coherent whole--and his arrangements are what make these songs great. He's also a talented multi-instrumentalist: the others stuck to their singular specialties, while JPJ is responsible for literally every other sound on the record.

Side One
1. "The Song Remains the Same"
2. "The Rain Song"
3. "Over the Hills and Far Away"
4. "The Crunge"

Side two
1. "Dancing Days"
2. "D'yer Mak'er"
3. "No Quarter"
4. "The Ocean"

"The Ocean"

"No Quarter"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odY8nff3h0w

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:Anyway, I've become a huge fan of the blues over the years, and while I won't reveal what may or may not be forthcoming in the remaining countdown, I can profess that my favourite artists from the genre are probably the likes of Johnson, Charlie Patton, Leadbelly, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, and Blind Willie McTell. And they all have such rich and varied discographies to choose from too!
Sounds like you've got a good handle on it. I'm sure the artists you listed aren't comprehensive in terms of what you've explored, but a few other names I'd be quick to drop in any conversation regarding blues "starting points" and "essentials" include: Skip James, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Blind Willie Johnson, Son House, Willie Dixon, Lightnin' Hopkins, Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, and Bukka White.
numbersix wrote:Nspan: I always figured that Frank Black just wouldn't be good as a solo artist, that Kim Deal and the other two contributed much to what made the Pixies great. I was a bit right, but I think I've overlooked the talent this guy has. I really enjoyed those two songs, and I have the collection in which he reimagined Pixies songs with the Two Pale Boys.
It's funny, I often make assumptions about your musical knowledge. Usually I'm correct, but sometimes you throw me a curve ball. I thought it'd be a given that Frank Black's music would be foundational to your tastes. After scanning past threads, you've made it clear that this isn't the case... but my brain just won't accept it.

Not every Pixies fan is necessarily going to love EVERY release in Frank Black's repertoire, but his discography is truly expansive: of his, I own 16 official albums, 5 EPs, 2 discs of rarities, 1 soundtrack, 1 unreleased full album, and 2 live albums (and that doesn't include his weird and off-putting Frank Black Francis collaborative project, which I personally don't care for at all). Of all of those, I guarantee that there's something for everybody.

His first couple releases are basically continuations of Trompe Le Monde. From there, he got a bit experimental with his sound and genre--resulting in somewhat uneven albums but some amazing songs (probably climaxing with 1998's And the Catholics). From there, he transitioned into my favorite era, which includes Black Letter Days, Devil's Workshop, Show Me Your Tears, and a couple of EPs. Since 2005, he moved into an alt-country phase--while still maintaining his distinct voice and a consistently high quality.

I strongly suggest you dip your toe into the pool just to see what you've been missing. I describe his solo career to most people as "The Pixies meets Tom Waits." Perhaps listen to the rest of Black Letter Days. It was very difficult to pick just two tracks, as the entire album is solid from start to finish.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Staind - Break the Cycle - 5/10
Grinspoon - Guide to Better Living - 7/10
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing - 4/10
Daft Punk - Human After All - 4/10
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation - 10/10
Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heavan, Kings in Hell - 4/10
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy - 8/10