Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.58

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind"
, 1997

A huge album back in the 90's and still remains relevant to this day. An impressive debut album that the band hasn't been able to emulate.

"Graduate"

"Semi-Charmed Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWX_p2GgHzY

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
Anti Flag, "The Terror State"
, 2003

Anti flag have grown to be more inteligent and better musicians over the years resulting in this great record.

"Mind the G.A.T.T."

Leestu
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Tender Prey”
, 1988

From the brilliant opening track The Mercy Seat the intense, dark, and moody atmosphere of this horror-like album was set. Featuring songs about being on death row (The Mercy Seat), murder (the catchy Deanna and Sugar Sugar Sugar), voyeurism (Watching Alice), being incarcerated (Mercy) etc, it really is a sinister album. However, is ther subtle humour hidden in there such as in Slowly Goes the Night, his version (parody?) of an overblown break up ballad. Anyway for some probably fucked up reason this is my favourite Nick Cave album. If you haven’t heard Deanna before skip the second song and listen to that instead.

“Up Jumped the Devil”

“Slowly Goes the Night”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0bAvn0Xa14
"Deanna"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJV4D4YJ1q0

NSpan

numbersix
Joanna Newsom, “Have One On Me”
, 2001

This record came as quite the surprise. I had (and still have) trouble getting into Newsom’s critically acclaimed previous album Ys. The 15-minute long songs were so dense and rather inaccessible. Even for me. The prospect of a 2-hour triple record may seem like a daunting task but Newsom’s increasing maturity as a musician (she plays the harp) and as a song-writer makes this an unbelievably easy listen.

Even the longer songs feel more gentle, yet more powerful. Newsom’s folk sound has a good range, and the entire album has a cohesion due to the intentional repetition of melodies. And the songs themselves are overwhelmingly beautiful. Good Intentions Paving Co. would easily have made my Top 100 songs list if I had heard it before compiling. It’s a perfect slice of the record’s breadth, and has some of the most powerful and beautifully written lyrics in a long, long time.

"Good Intentions Paving Co."

"Go Long"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNk_atoAvvc

Ron Burgundy
Rev Theory, "Justice"
, 2011

"Justice"

"Hangman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVOmTBXEUc

silversurfer
The Libertines, "Up The Bracket"
, 2002

Despite all the in-house squabbling and the Pete Doherty circus which followed, I still manage to remember that first moment I heard "What A Waster" on the Steve Lamacq Radio One show. It was like a literal punch to the throat (which is also where the term Up The Bracket comes from, I believe), a shock to the music industry and my ears. Hearing the cannon of Doherty and Barat singing to each other with such vibrant energy, I was excited. It was like the UK had their own answer to The Strokes (though there sound is not entirely similar though they each acknowledge similar influences). The Libertines are entirely British, with lyrics which are at times whimsical, almost poetically so. The songs are energising, only stopping for breath on some delightful slower tracks such as "Radio America", swirling up an excitement within the listener. But what I think sets this record apart has to be the involvement of The Clash's Mick Jones as producer. This almost feels like the bastard offspring of one of the most important groups of the 20th Century, finding a voice for the UK youth without having to resort to the laddish style of Oasis and instead Jones channels their energy into something coherent and compelling. It's clever, exciting and involving. I still count seeing these guys at their peak in Liverpool University as one of the best live acts I've ever witnessed, it was magical. And it's rare a band is able to bring all those qualities together. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why the band took the direction they did after this record. Something like this cannot be repeated, and wasn't, but what we are left with is a shining example of what some of the best of British rock music can create when something quite special can come together.

"Time For Heroes"

"Vertigo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxk6FOFqN4

transformers
Atmosphere, "Seven's Travels"
, 2003

"Trying to Find a Balance"

"Reflections"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACEWFRsQGBc
Last edited by silversurfer19 on November 8th, 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.59

englishozzy Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary", 1998 - For some reason I always assumed these were a bit of a girly band, you know, the ones who seem to have a lot of rabid female fans but little appeal for anyone else. But I liked it, reminded me a little of Green Day, maybe a little of Foo Fighters as six suggested. Decent.

BleedBlackandGold The Flatliners, "The Great Awake", 2007 - Did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't really have any real hook to keep me interested - no particualar riff, not a defining voice. Just very much the punk we all know of recent years.

Leestu Beastie Boys, “Ill Communication”, 1994 - If you don't get the REM references NSpan, you're obviously missing something from this band.... Anyway, I recently acquired Licenced To Ill following so many praising it on here. Not completely sold on it yet as its just not a genre I can easily slip into when around the house, but I'll give it time as there are certainly some decent things going on there. This is another I may have to explore. The first song didn't really appeal I must say, but the second was very exciting, really enjoyed that!

NSpan Paul McCartney, “Ram”, 1971 - Considering it took me a while to actually get any Beatles records, it goes without saying I don't own any post- Fab Four records. I actually found the track a little more interesting that what I anticipated, maybe I was expecting something more Wings-esque, or maybe... "Ebony And Ivory"-esque. Yikes! Actually this was much better. Hardly even recognised his voice actually, but it was good.

numbersix Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”, 2001 I picked up I See A Darkness following your song countdown inclusion, and to be honest, other than the title track I can't say I really found myself listening to the record very much. Which was a shame as I thought the atmosphere created on it was intriguing, it just didn't have the actual songs to back it up. Anyway, this definitely had more of a country slant to it than it's predecessor, and while neither song were as captivating as I See A Darkness, it was still much better than what I had experienced elsewhere. I will tentatively explore further...

Ron Burgundy Metallica, "Master Of Puppets", 1986 - Glad you liked the song choices NSpan - I picked them. Actually, I only just picked up this record last week and those two songs were the ones which stuck with me most. I bought this with And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All, probably a little overwhelming in one go, and at the moment the record isn't selling me as one which requires repeat listens over just compiling a few favourite tracks, but there are definitely some real highs on here.

silversurfer The Replacements, "Tim", 1985, - Well I was automatically not going to use Left Of The Dial, NSpan, but I was going to use "I'll Buy and "Here Comes A Regular" until you used the former and Geez claimed the latter. But as you say, you can't go wrong. I could easily have picked "Little Mascara", "Bastards Of Young" or "Lay It Down Clown" and I still wouldn't have been underselling this record. It's just consistently great throughout.

transformers Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP", 1999 - Ugh, my sister, who was 13 at the time, went through an angsty phase during her teens where she would regularly drink, throw up on the porch below her bedroom window, and swear a lot. And I blame it all on this record. Man, I freakin' hated it. It would blare every evening throughout the entire house and I couldn't hear anything remotely redeemable about it. I get that much of it is tongue in cheek etc, but I just didn't like it at all. And still don't. I can bear Lose Yourself, and that's it. I just don't get the apparent talent.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
numbersix Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”, 2001 I picked up I See A Darkness following your song countdown inclusion, and to be honest, other than the title track I can't say I really found myself listening to the record very much. Which was a shame as I thought the atmosphere created on it was intriguing, it just didn't have the actual songs to back it up. Anyway, this definitely had more of a country slant to it than it's predecessor, and while neither song were as captivating as I See A Darkness, it was still much better than what I had experienced elsewhere. I will tentatively explore further...
That's a shame, dude. I See A Darkness (the album) almost made my list. I like how Oldham can find different styles and rhythms to deal with his "darkness" throughout, whether it's the atmospheric Madeleine-Mary or the acoustic abstract murder ballad Black, or even the more uplifting Raining in Darling. It's that damned college rock. It's rotting your brain ;)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Anti-Flag - The Terror State - 5/10
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Tender Prey - 7/10
Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me - 5/10
Rev Theory - Justice - 7/10
The Libertines - Up the Bracket - 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Sorry to fall behind guys. I'm going to try to get caught up today or tomorrow
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: The first song was okay, but the second has probably been ruined by being featured in every single upbeat holiday ad in the late 90s.

John L: The lyrics were a little puerile, and the music was very much part of that sub-genre I'm ambivalent to. Better than some of the other examples, though.

Leetsu: I believe that's the 8th Cave album in the project. And yet still no crossovers! I actually do have this album. IT's pretty good, not my favourite, but it has my absolutely favourite Cave Song - The Mercy Seat. Deanna is great as well.

Ron B: Sounded a bit like Soundgarden at times, though it leant a bit to the nu-metal side.

SS: Surprisingly, I'm not a fan of The Libertines, even though NME had collective orgasms whenever their names was mentioned. Perhaps it's because Pete Doherty is the Jim Morrisson of this millennium: utterly pretentious, his ego far exceeding his talent. The music never did much for me. Perhaps it's a simple case of who I heard first - The Strokes. And there seems to be only one place in my heart for a revival punk/garage rock act.

Tranny: I really dug the music/samples, though the lyrics seemed a bit shallow, especially in comparison to the other record of his that you posted. I'm sure I've said it before, but rap is the genre responsible for the worst cliches in music: bragging about how good you are (including dissing rivals), acting tough and gangsta-like, glorifying rampant consumerism, and general misogynistic references to women. If an act picks any one of the four (and most do all) then I'm usually turned off.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Grateful Dead - American Beauty (1970)

Side One
Box of Rain
Friend of the Devil
Sugar Magnolia
Operator
Candyman

Side Two
Ripple
Brokedown Palace
Till the Morning Comes
Attics of My Life
Truckin'

A fair representation of the Dead's sound at that moment in time (and very similar to Workingman's Dead, released earlier that same year), American Beauty is actually a bit of an oddity within their discography. As godfathers of the Haight-Ashbury scene, their niche was psychedelic-blues (though the psychedelic aspect of that has been significantly played up by historical revisionists). Contrasting that, they had a strong penchant for folk and country music, as well. After this album, their studio recordings would return to that former sound, and they would continue exploring these latter genres in a side-project called The New Riders of the Purple Sage. That band's history is comparable to Jefferson Airplane's offshoot, Hot Tuna. An interesting note about this album is that, in many ways, it lacked a professional production altogether. Due to scheduling issues, a sound technician/engineer was promoted to the status of producer, and the result was a clearer snapshot of their sound (at the time) than most of their professionally-produced studio albums would ultimately reveal--before or after.

"Friend of the Devil"

"Box of Rain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SqDx1vi4c
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind", 1997
I think I might've actually owned this album at some point in time. I admit, the melodies are catchy.. but it might be better left to memory.

BleedBlackandGold Anti Flag, "The Terror State", 2003
Agreed with Six in the sense that it's a better-than-average example of the genre. I imagine its because these guys have a bit more genuine experience than some of the rest.

Leestu Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Tender Prey”, 1988
To retread our discussion on the importance of lyrics, I actually think that some of Nick Cave's music occasionally suffers for the sake of the story. While Cave is clearly an exception (and there are others such as Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, etc.), I just don't expect great poetry or prose in pop/rock. If I'm really looking for great writing, I (...wait for it...) READ. Most popular music is written by teenagers and young adults, and nearly all of it is marketed to that same demographic. So, while I thought Billy Corgan might've had something to say when I was 13 years old and feeling inevitably angsty 13 year old feelings, it just feels juvenile and silly now. That said, I can still enjoy the MUSIC. In fact, when experiencing new artists/bands, I don't actively listen to the lyrics until AFTER the music has won me over. What's the point of listening to music if music doesn't come first? This is simply my personal approach, and everybody is free to approach art and/or entertainment in their own way. A good example of my own view is reflected in a recent selection: Spindrift. These guys are essentially an instrumental band, but nearly every track features vocals. It's still considered instrumental because the vocals are (more often than not) treated as just another instrument. Whether they employ lyrics that simply sound right within the song, or (more commonly) their vocals are wordless sounds that enhance the layers and textures of the music, it almost always results in a great sound. I honestly think they're brilliant musicians, and their instrumentals convey as much (or more) thought and emotion than just about anything you'll find at the record store.

numbersix Joanna Newsom, “Have One On Me”, 2001
There's definitely something to it, but her voice is a bit piercing to my ears. I unplugged the headphones just to see if the laptop speakers would even register some of those screechier frequencies--and, to no surprise, the speakers couldn't quite do it. I read that her voice has significantly changed over the course of her career. If her earlier music is equally involved and features slightly less penetrating vocals, I'd probably be a fan.

Ron BurgundyRev Theory, "Justice", 2011
A bit too in-my-face at the moment. The second song is more palatable than the first. I'll give both another go a bit later.

silversurfer The Libertines, "Up The Bracket", 2002
I dig 'em. I've been meaning to check these guys out more for a long time. Amazon 'recommends' these guys every time I pull up their main page--based on my previous purchases. Aesthetically, quite similar in approach to The Redwalls.

transformers Atmosphere, "Seven's Travels", 2003
Of the two, I definitely preferred the second track. Also: I kinda enjoyed the scattered R&B flourishes--even if it's tongue-in-cheek.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

1.Magical Mystery Tour – 5 stars
2.The Fool on the Hill – 4 stars
3.Flying – 2 stars
4.Blue Jay Way – 2 stars
5.Your Mother Should Know – 3 stars
6.I am the Walrus – 4 stars
7.Hello Goodbye – 4 stars
8.Strawberry Fields Forever – 5 stars
9.Penny Lane – 4 stars
10.Baby, You're a Rich Man – 5 stars
11.All You Need Is Love – 5 stars

The album was much better than the movie, and despite having some songs that aren't all that great, Some of the absolute best work from this amazing band is located here, on the Magical Mystery Tour.

"Strawberry Fields Forever"

"Baby, You're a Rich Man"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu7fcjgWK0

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Against Me! - As The Eternal Cowboy (2003)

1.T.S.R – 5 star
2.Cliché Guevara – 5 star
3.Mutiny on the Electric Bay – 4 stars
4.Sink, Florida, Sink – 5 stars
5.Slurring the Rhythms – 3 stars
6.Rice and Bread – 4 stars
7.A Brief Yet Triumphant Intermission – 3 stars
8.Unsubstantiated Rumors Are Good Enough For Me (To Base My Life On) – 3 Stars
9.You Look Like I need a Drink – 4 stars
10.Turn Those Clapping Hands into Angry Balled Fists – 4 stars
11.Cavalier Eternal – 4 stars

The second album from Against Me! contains some of their staple songs, including Cliche Guevara (a top 20 song ever) and Sink, Florida, Sink. Is this their best album? No. Is it absolutely amazing? Of course! These guys can just do no wrong.

"Cliche Guevara"

"Sink, Florida, Sink"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krnnErGzIsY

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Album No.60 cont.

Transformers Between the Buried and the Me, Alaska - I didn't like the prog rock start, or the growling that came after it but then the song became interesting for a while and then ended badly. All up I found it a bit of a mixed up mess....and sorry but the second song was awful to my ears.

Geezer The Beatles, Magical Mystery Tour - I like this era of theirs. One day I will get their albums and listen to them as separate entities.

Album No.59

englishozzy Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary", 1998 - Passable but nothing special.

Geezer, Against Me!, As The Eternal Cowboy - Hmmm, the first song didn't do much for me but I did like the second song quite a bit. I am interested enough in their sound to hear more.

BleedBlackandGold The Flatliners, "The Great Awake", 2007 - Not bad. Not bad at all.

NSpan Paul McCartney,Ram - Didn't like the second song at all but Monkberry Moon Delight was great. Loved the vocalisation and it sounded like he has having fun with it.

numbersix Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”, 2001 - Neither of these songs did much for me instantly, but knowing my own tastes I guess I could possibly appreciate it with more exposure.

Ron Burgundy Metallica, "Master Of Puppets", 1986 - Good album, probably my favourite album of theirs with the two songs selected the ones I like the most off this album.

silversurfer The Replacements, "Tim", 1985 - Somehow I never came across The Replacements in my youth. Heard of them a lot though, especially as a cited influence of a lot of bands, so from a historical perspective I should check this out. Liked Swingin Party a lot.

transformers Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP", 1999 - At the time I enjoyed the fun shock value factor of Eminem, and I sort of think the anti PC attitude and reminder that music can be fun and not taken seriously was needed at the time. Not so much now though.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Album No.58

englishozzy Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind", 1997 - I think the catchy Semi-Charmed Life is the only song of theirs I've ever heard. I sort of liked it but it wasn't, and still isn't, enough for me to want to hear more. Ditto with Graduate, I liked it too but not enough...

BleedBlackandGold Anti Flag, "The Terror State", 2003 - A mate of mine loves this band and thought I would get into them too (he made me listen to a whole album once) but to no avail. It also probably didn't help that he played me a live in the studio song and his voice sounded terrible. Didn't really like this song either.

Nspan Grateful Dead, American Beauty - Sorry mate, didn't like it at all. Too country and just not my thing.

numbersix Joanna Newsom, “Have One On Me”, 2001 - A harpist? Interesting! EMI (the bastards!) have blocked these videos for us Aussies so all I could find on you tube was live versions. I liked her voice, and the first song maintained my interest (it was a performance with Austin City Limits) but I was a bit bored with the second song (I don't know about the album track but this version was basically just her and the harp), although it did pick up a bit near the end. Just based on this I don't think I'm much of a fan of the harp.

Ron Burgundy Rev Theory, "Justice", 2011 - Sometimes my family are around when I am listening to these songs but not always, and they usually don't pay any attention unless I specifically think they will be interested after I hear them (I always play the exceptional ones to my wife), however after about a minute or so of me listening to the first song my oldest son actually came to listen of his own accord asking who this was. So it get's the thumbs up from him (which is a compliment - he has decent taste even if I don't like some of the emo/screamo stuff he listens to).

silversurfer The Libertines, "Up The Bracket", 2002 - Strokes with a British accent? We liked it!

transformers Atmosphere, "Seven's Travels", 2003 - For what it is it seemed okay and probably better than most.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan: I already mentioned my apathy towards the grateful Dead already. While there's nothing wrong with their sound, the problem was evident in the second song (which I quite liked)... the good bits only prompted my mind to think back on Dylan and the Stones. Perhaps you very much correctly identified the problem... they spread themselves way too thin and also never really were comfortable in a studio.

Geez: Nice Beatles pick. I've never really thought of this as a proper album (NSpan can tell us all why), but it does have my favourite songs of theirs, Strawberry Fields Forever. That song just carved out the world of pure studio recording. It's all about the magnificent production. Of the 5 other songs I'm familiar with they're all pretty decent. Perhaps one day these guys will click with me, but I'm still resisiting them because I'm "supposed" to like them so much.

As for Against Me, I thought those two songs showed a lot more talent and range than the majority of your picks from the 90s and 00s. Perhaps because they lean more towards punk rock than pop-punk.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Matt & Kim - Matt & Kim (2006)

1.It's a Fact (Printed Stained) – 5 stars
2.Dash After Dash – 3 stars
3.Yeah Yeah – 5 stars
4.Ready? OK – 3 stars
5.No More Long Years – 3 stars
6.5K – 5 stars
7.Grand – 3 stars
8.Frank – 5 stars
9.Someday – 4 stars
10.Lightspeed – 4 stars

An awesome debut from a band that I am going to see TONIGHT for the 5th time. First time I saw them, they were opening for Against Me! I know, odd combination of sounds for sure! But I fell in love, they put on such a unique, high energy, kick ass show that I just can't stop going back.

"Yeah Yeah"

"Frank"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SS8ZaBn2nk

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Those Matt and Kim songs were truly catchy and fun, Geez. Not bad at all.