Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#

Post by englishozzy »

Slayer, "Christ Illusion", 2006

The most underrated thrash metal band of the big Four (Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth), Dave Lombardo teamed up with his old crew to produce this accomplished album which stands as Slayer's most successful album to date.

Eyes of the Insane

Final Six
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jLezmrDac
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

How you swing from the soft, gentle soul of alternative folk/ indie to thrash metal is quite a feat, ozzy! Can't say I'm familiar with Slayer, but that sounded like a mix of Metallica and SOAD. Not entirely my thing, but I've heard much, much worse.

Anyway, I'm waiting on next picks from Aly, Geezer, NSpan and tranny still. If you can get them to me asap it'd be appreciated.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i might need to add my next pick separately from the rest.. it's not ready yet, and it probably won't be before 5pm California-time.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
NSpan wrote: In response to Six: don't tell me you don't recognize a fundamental difference between Chris Brown and James Brown...?
Well, musically of course. But my point is that because James Brown is considered cool you don't hear people as outraged about his wife-beating history. It's just because Chris Brown is a pop star that certain people feel they can dismiss the man AND the music because of what he did.
You're right about the double-standards... but, as I've said before, you just gotta separate the art from the artist.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Speaking about that, I never got how The Offspring never got called out for their blatant misogyny in their works. Half of their songs seem to be about how much they hate women or how their gender roles should be nothing more than "stay in the kitchen". Is it because the mainstream media looks up the to the altar of the frat boy?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.55

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Porcupine Tree, "Fear of a Blank Planet"
, 2007

A brilliant prog-rock band from England, I had a chance to see them in concert once but declined as I knew nothing from the band. Unfortunately after delving into their discography I havent' had a chance to see them since.

"Fear of a Blank Planet"

"Anesthetize"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ITNnBRveU

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
Rancid, "Indestructible"
, 2003

My first Rancid Album, to this day they remain one of my favorite bands.

"Memphis"

Leestu
Silverchair, “Frogstomp”
, 1995

This is the best album by Silverchair. Freak Show was okay and had its moments but nothing after that even comes close to this awesome powerful debut….and they were only fifteen when it was recorded. But it wasn’t just in the studio. I remember seeing them play live on the smallest stage at a festival two months before this album was released and they played a tight and seemingly flawless set as if they had been doing this for years yet had the passion and youthful excitement of a band just starting out. What started as a handful of people watching ended up a sea of people jammed in wherever they could by the end, as word of mouth and their sound spread. Too bad for the more popular established acts playing at the same time.

“Israel’s Son”

“Pure Massacre”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSTIePQri0

NSpan
Black Mountain, “Black Mountain”
, 2005

Modern Music
Don't Run Our Hearts Around
Druganaut
No Satisfaction
Set Us Free
No Hits
Heart of Snow
Faulty Times

"Druganaut" is what happens when an entire generation is raised on Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and Rush. Lead singer/songwriter/guitarist, Stephen McBean, is a musical prodigy. Amber Webber (female vocalist, co-songwriter, etc.) brings something unique to their sound with a voice that ranges from soft and sweet to ear-splittingly booming. For more on these guys, check out my #93 entry (Pink Mountaintops' eponymous LP). I've shared some of their more psychedelic endeavors in the past, so these song selections highlight their rollicking "campfire" side:

""No Satisfaction""

""Modern Music" (song starts at 0:10)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awljN4RaJU8

numbersix
dEUS, “Worst Case Scenario”
, 1994

If I was to be more deliciously ironic in my album placements, I’d nestle this right between yesterday’s pick, Doolittle, and a Tom Waits album. For Belgian act dEUS is the lovechild of these two influences. They were also my first introduction into non-mainstream rock, where not everything was about playing loud power-chords.

While their 1996 album In A Bar, Under the Sea was my introduction to these oddballs, their debut album is probably the best, being a strong balance between singer Tom Barman’s classic rock sensibilities and Stef Carlens interest in making utter deranged Beefheart-esque noise. Sadly Stef left the band to pursue his mad music and gradually dEUS descended into boringly accessible rock. At least there is this wonderful record to behold.

"Hotellounge"

"Suds And Soda"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73VVnCR8AM

Ron Burgundy
Eminem, "The Eminem Show"
, 2002

"White America"

silversurfer
Radiohead, "In Rainbows"
, 2007

It took me a while to fully start to appreciate Radiohead v2.0. I was at first bemused by Kid A before starting to come around to the brilliance of tracks like "The National Anthem", "Everything In It's Right Place" and "Idioteque", while I Might Be Wrong was a great live record which enabled me to appreciate their new direction even more. But it wasn't until the more understated In Rainbows was released that I fully captured where Tom, Jonny et al. were heading. Morphing the more tender moments of The Bends and OK Computer with the more digital world of Kid A, Amnesiac and Yorke's solo Eraser, this is the moment Radiohead re-discovered how to really connect with their audience in an emotional manner. This record feels more honest, more beautiful and more personal that what had preceded it. Sparse, warm and inviting with each and every song quite simply stunning, it works even better as a whole piece. Nevertheless, I had a hard time picking just which tracks to include.

"Nude"

"All I Need"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4APDrl66s

transformers
Behemoth, "Demigod"
, 2004

"Conquer All"

"Sculpting the Throne Ov Seth"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeXByd3-qo

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: The slayer inclusion threw me. You've a damn wide taste in music, dude. I was apprehensive when you mentioned prog, but Porcupine Tree sound more like a mix of indie, nu-metal and emo. Despite that, it was rather listenable.

Leetsu: I remember when these guys came out everyone was comparing them to Nirvana. But those songs reminded me a lot of Pearl Jame.

John L: Didn't do a whole lot for me, unfortunately.

NSpan: That was pretty cool, especially considering I'm not a fan of Rush or Floyd. Perhaps you were saving us from the more proggy, longer songs (and there are a few of them, it seems), but I enjoyed what I heard so far.

Ron B: That guy loves going on about how annoying he is.

Ss: This album was well reviewed, but for me it was the beginning of the end. Actually, there were a few songs in Hail to the Thief that suggested it. It just felt like Radiohead had reached the end of what they could achieve, and were starting to hit a sort of music middle-age, producing sub-par songs with lots of production to cover it. And that's my problem with In Rainbows. Interestingly, I find it very hard to enjoy this version of Nude. It is a surprisingly emotional song, but that's almost ruined by the level of over-production (check out some of the stripped down versions that Thom used to play live. Much more powerful). Elsewhere on the record there's a lot of songs that just aren't memorable, whereas I can recall every song from The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, and even the uneven Amnesiac. That said, I do love All I Need, Reckoner, and Videotape, but it's not enough to elevate the album above average. And my theory that this was part of a major downturn in quality was proven by their last record, which was a bore.

Tranny: I could tell from the band's name and album cover this wouldn't be for me. Morbid.
Last edited by numbersix on December 4th, 2012, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Rancid - Indestructible - 6/10
Silverchair - Frogstomp - 8/10
Black Mountain - Black Mountain - 6/10
dEUS - Worst Case Scenario - 6/10
Eminem - Eminem - 5/10
Radiohead - In Rainbows - 9/10
Behemoth - Demigod - 4/10

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Social Distortion
"Social Distortion"

1. So Far Away - 5 stars
2. Let It Be Me - 3 stars
3. Story of My Life - 5 stars
4. Sick Boys - 5 stars
5. Ring of Fire - 5 stars
6. Ball and Chain - 5 stars
7. It Coulda Been Me - 3 stars
8. She's a Knockout - 4 stars
9. A Place in My Heart - 3 stars
10. Drug Train - 3 stars

Social D's best album, in my opinion. The one that launched their "mainstream" success. If you didn't like them before, you won't like them here either.

"Ball and Chain"

"Story of My Life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8zcbC_Dcw
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Porcupine Tree, "Fear of a Blank Planet", 2007
People have been recommending this band to me for over a decade. I still haven't picked up an album, but I've liked the bits and pieces I've heard. I don't really see the connection to Pink Floyd that gets made a lot. Anyway, I dug the first song... less so the second.

Leestu Silverchair, “Frogstomp”, 1995
I really liked this when it was first released. But it wore thin after a while, and their subsequent descent into true mediocrity made me retroactively dislike the album. Bummer because they certainly showed potential!

silversurfer Radiohead, "In Rainbows", 2007
I never thought of Radiohead's career as being compartmentalized into distinct phases. I mean, sure, their shift to a more electronic sound was hardly subtle. But I don't think they completely abandoned what had come before. As you mentioned, these more recent albums still draw a lot from their early days (as well as maintaining the newer electro-ambient window dressing). In my opinion, they hit their peak about 3 albums in... and they've been on a steady decline since. I'm not saying their 21st century output is bad, but I don't think any of it compares to what they were doing in the mid-to-late 90s.

Ron Burgundy Eminem, "The Eminem Show", 2002
I definitely didn't mind the rhythm or melody on "White America" (though the lyrics were a bit grating).

BleedBlackandGold Rancid, "Indestructible", 2003
Catchy, for sure. I remember liking Rancid in the early 90s, but they completely dropped off my radar after that. If it wasn't for this forum, I'm not sure if I'd even know that they're still around. As with most punk/thrash from that era, these guys have clearly streamlined their sound since. But, I gotta say, I kinda like the ska sound over the pop-punk that other bands fell into.

transformers Behemoth, "Demigod", 2004
A bit too intense for me!

Social Distortion "Social Distortion", 1990
Some of my absolute best friends swear by this band. And, looking at SD's discography, they're certainly no Johnny-Come-Latelys. But I still haven't been (quite) won over. I'll keep trying for the sake of my benevolent compatriot music aficionados.

numbersix dEUS, “Worst Case Scenario”, 1994
The repugnant phrase "deliciously ironic" almost kept me from listening to ANY of it... ;) That said, I loved what I heard. The video made me like it less, but I don't have any hesitancy going Audio Only. These guys reminded me a LOT of Camper Van Beethoven (or Cracker depending on your generation)....
Last edited by NSpan on December 6th, 2012, 5:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.54

Alyson

englishozzy
AC/DC, "High Voltage"
, 1976

Brian Johnson has done a brilliant job as Bon Scott's replacement but nothing beats the original lead. High Voltage includes the obvious T.N.T. and It's a Long Way to the Top but also has some gems in there as well with Rock 'N' Roll Singer and Can I Sit Next to You Girl.

"The Jack"

"Can I Sit Next to You Girl"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrRsMtKFEg

Geezer

BleedBlackandGold
AFI, "Sing The Sorrow"
, 2003

Davey is one of the most underrated singers ever never is that more true than on this album.

"Dancing Through Sunday"

Leestu
Radiohead, “OK Computer”
, 1997

“Lucky”

“Subterranean Homesick Alien”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1tQFX_9ct0

NSpan
David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”
, 1972

Side One
1. Five Years
2. Soul Love
3. Moonage Daydream
4. Starman
5. It Ain't Easy

Side Two
6. Lady Stardust
7. Star
8. Hang On to Yourself
9. Ziggy Stardust
10. Suffragette City
11. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Another artist/album that really doesn't require much background or explanation. Hunky Dory nearly made my list, though I eventually cut it. Ziggy Stardust remained due to its amazing consistency.

On a tangent: if you've never seen the concert DVD, I strongly recommend it to fans of the album. The film is hardly a technical achievement in terms of direction, lighting, audio, or anything else (in fact, it looks and sounds pretty crummy)... but the event itself is an amazing spectacle to behold. It's a great performance that ultimately climaxed with Bowie announcing that it was the band's final show. As much of a shocker as that was for the audience (and, apparently, most of the band), many were in attendance out of morbid curiosity: some people had speculated that Bowie might literally "kill off" the Ziggy Stardust persona during the final song of the show ("Rock'n'Roll Suicide"). Despite Bowie being a truly committed performance artist, I doubt many people actually expected the show to end in a real-life suicide... but there is an undeniable intensity that permeates the entire show. The crowd clearly knows they're witnessing something special.

Note: Six already nabbed "Moonage Daydream" and "Lady Stardust." I wonder just how much of the album will be featured before the countdown ends?"

"Rock'n'Roll Suicide"

"Five Years"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWm03wYBTbM

numbersix
Menomena, “Friend And Foe”
, 2007

The process of writing songs has always bewildered me. Who takes the lead, who decides what works and what doesn’t? So I found it fascinating to hear about this band’s method. Using a specific looping programme called Deeler, each of the three band members makes a sound, whether a vocal noise or a beat or a note from an instrument, passes it to the next, and they continue doing so, building and building until they have constructed a rough shape of a song. It’s as democratic as you can get.

It also helps that they make great music. I’ve no idea who to compare them to (NSpan, king of musical associations, may do a better job than me), but I adore their balance of melody and musical experimentation. Lyrically they can be sincere and often hard-hitting, which can be a surprise when a lot of indie music leans towards pastoral words. I believe their method of writing contributes to a sort of choppy rhythm which sets them apart from the majority of guitar acts, and their use of odd instrumentation is always welcome.

Sadly, the band fell apart. As democratic as their process seemed, the constant disagreements and fights took its toll on the band, particularly in the unimpressive follow-up to this record, Mines. Brent Knopf (who has some decent solo work under the name Ramona Falls) ultimately quit, leaving Menomena’s future uncertain. Fortunately the band has bounced back with a new album, Moms (actually about their deep resentments towards their fathers), which is rather good.

"Rotten Hell"

"The Pelican"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTimWemU5o

Ron Burgundy
Queens Of The Stone Age, "Songs for the Deaf"
, 2002

"The Sky Is Fallin'"

"First It Giveth"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VSXBwNj0es

silversurfer
Mclusky, "Mclusky Do Dallas"
, 2001

I stumbled across Mclusky when I was in university, spotting them play a stunning live show full of visceral energy and aggression. I hastily picked up their new record, Mclusky Do Dallas to hear if they could sound just as immediately exciting on disk. Gratefully they were equally as intense. Capturing the explosion of energy the Pixies distilled on Surfer Rosa with a little of Nirvana's pop sensibilities and even a little of The Fall, Mclusky were exciting, with songs that rarely crossed the 2 minute mark or outstayed their welcome. Having Steve Albini on production duties probably helped too, also mirroring those early Pixies sounds and maybe a little Shellac too. But they are still their own band, with some clever, insightful and mostly hilarious lyrics which clash fantastically with the unpolished punk rock sound.

It's a shame the wider world never came around to this band before they imploded, but then sometimes the best bands are just waiting to be discovered. And as their songs are so short, I thought I'd give you the option of another song.

"Alan Is A Cowboy Killer"

"To Hell With Good Intentions"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkzxB8hfCM
"Dethink To Survive"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QolgU8thhJ0

transformers
2pac, "All Eyez on Me"
, 1996

"Ambitionz as a Ridah"

"Can't C Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVv4IdGtcNw

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.55

englishozzy Porcupine Tree, "Fear of a Blank Planet", 2007 - A band who've been on my Amazon wish list for a very long time, like I'm talking 15 years maybe! They've obviously been around for a while then but this is the first I've heard of them. Really enjoyed the first song, not the prog I was expecting but very nice. Do you have any of their other records? Have they always sounded like this? Will certainly be seeking this record out even if the second song didn't quite appeal as much.

Geezer Social Distortion, "Social Distortion", 1990 - Sorry buddy but it actually bored me a little, I anticipated a little more vitality from the band but was just a little hum-drum.

BleedBlackandGold Rancid, "Indestructible", 2003 - Always felt these were a band that got kind of lost within a genre when they were out. They were swallowed up by the likes of Green Day and never became as big as they possibly could have been. Not a bad song, the chorus was catchy but the verses in the middle dragged a little.

Leestu Silverchair, “Frogstomp”, 1995 - Love this record, was a close contender along with Freak Show for making my own list. And Israel's Son indeed made my top 100 song countdown. Wished I could have seen them at their peak, didn't catch them until around Neon Ballroom because of Daniel's illness affecting their touring, but still a great band. Shame about their last record though, that was dissapointing.

NSpan Black Mountain, “Black Mountain”, 2005 - Another record which has been on my wish list for a while, probably thanks to your constant plugging. I think you've played Druganaut before which I enjoyed, and while I didn't really hear the Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd influences in No Satisfaction, it had this infectious pop charm which I loved. Modern Music sounded a little akin to perhaps Beck, but also very cool.

numbersix dEUS, “Worst Case Scenario”, 1994 - I actually own this record, though I've perhaps only listened to it maybe twice in total. I picked it up in a bargain bin, mostly because I'd heard of the band as the second most famous Belgian act after Soulwax, and I do remember liking the record, and you can certainly hear the quiet loud quiet of Pixies in here, this has just spurred me on to listen to it again.

Ron Burgundy Eminem, "The Eminem Show", 2002 - Just don't like Eminem at all. This song did nothing to change that, despite his obvious ability with lyrics I just can't connect with his music.

transformers Behemoth, "Demigod", 2004 - Pretty much unlistenable, I'm afraid.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: I was expecting this to be an even better record than their later ones. While this isn't bad, its reliance on traditional blues riffs and insistence on sticking to them over the course of 4 or 5 mins kinda left me a little bored.

John L: Another track from this record didn't really add much to my interest.

Leetsu: Ah, this brings back memories. I still remember the day I bought it, the store I bought it from. A very important record for me and my expanding musical taste at the time. Lucky's a damn good song. Great pick.

NSpan: Two excellent songs, though there's hardly any dull moments in this record. You totally sold the live video to me. I have to check it out.

Ron B: Two great songs. I should get this record. Interestingly it sounds more muted than I expected.

Ss: I had never heard of these guys. But then I listened to the second song and recognised it from my local Alternative radio station. It's a good song, and I really liked the other tunes. I hear Pixies but also harder rock from the 90s, and even a bit of Modest Mouse too. This is a good find, and I'm curious to hear more.

Tranny: Leaving what I know about the person aside, I'm left with music I don't particularly like and lyrics I despise. This guys is just going on about how tough he is, threatening his enemies, acknowledging how tough it is being a gangster but still glorifying the hell out of it. And of course there's the demeaning of women at every opportunity, especially in the first song. It's vile on a moral level, and uninteresting on an aesthetic one. Some say rap died when 2Pac and Biggie got shot, but these were the ones who killed it.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Social Distortion - Social Distortion - 7/10
AFI - Sing for Sorrow - 7/10
Radiohead - OK Computer - 9/10
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - 7/10
Menomena - Friend and Foe - 5/10
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Dead - 10/10
Mclusky - Mclusky do Dallas - 5/10
2Pac - Eyez on Me - 4/10

Surfer - You would probably prefer their older albums like In Absentia or Signify. Apparently they do a pretty awesome set but I'm still waiting for them to tour Australia. Although with the band being on hiatus at the moment I cant see that happening anytime soon.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy AC/DC, "High Voltage", 1976
This is basically the same album as my selection of AC/DC's "TNT" (1975) with only minor changes. Great pick, man! (I also featured "The Jack" -- and "Can I Sit Next to You Girl?" rocks!)

BleedBlackandGold AFI, "Sing The Sorrow", 2003
I liked it. But I prefer the punkier opening to the poppier chorus. I mean, the non-chorus parts really rock!

Leestu Radiohead, “OK Computer”, 1997
I was a Johnny-Come-Lately on this one, but it's easily my favorite Radiohead album.

numbersix Menomena, “Friend And Foe”, 2007"
"Mahna Mahna" ? Nice. I dug both tracks (but especially the first), and your note about their writing process is interesting. After reading that, I felt like I could hear it in the music (lots of culminating sounds that become more and more textured until hitting a climactic point). I definitely hear a little Modest Mouse in there. I strongly suggest you check out a Texas band called The Eastern Sea (I may have featured one of their tracks somewhere else in the forum in the past).

Ron Burgundy Queens Of The Stone Age, "Songs for the Deaf", 2002
As I've said, I dig this band (and I dig this album), but they never really elevated to a status in mind where I considered them truly great. If it helps to dismiss my opinion as ramblings of a lunatic: I feel pretty much the same about most of the Foo Fighters' output.

Sidenote #1: I just re-read the purported "concept" of the album. Now that I've actually made that drive several times, I might give the entire album another spin and see if I have a different take on it.

Sidenote #2: certain pressings include an acoustic cover of Roky Erickson's "Blood Hammer" -- it's a bit of a throwaway, but for anybody interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTmxakLhmA

silversurfer Mclusky, "Mclusky Do Dallas", 2001
I definitely hear the comparison to Steve Albini productions (plenty of loudQUIETloud in both the instrumentation and the vocals). I liked it--particularly the first song.

transformers 2pac, "All Eyez on Me", 1996
Probably his best.