Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.52

englishozzy Foo Fighters, "One by One", 2002 - I can still recall the utter anticipation I had for this release, quickly followed by the disappointment when I finally heard it. Granted there are some great rock songs on here, but as you admit, the record is so uneven and filled with so many MOR radio friendly mid tempo songs that I find myself rarely listening to it anymore. I was glad to see the band finally created something quite brilliant last year, as up until Wasted Light I had kind of lost hope for the band.

Geezer The Beatles, "Revolver", 1966 - Probably my favourite Beatles record, and it was certainly a contender for my own list. I love the opening of Taxman, Eleanor Rigby and I'm Only Sleeping, while Good Day Sunshine and Got To Get You Into My Life are also great songs. Fully deserving of all it's accolades.

BleedBlackandGold Husker Du, "Candy Apple Grey", 1986 - Did I showcase the same song? Can't remember, but great record and glad to see it get some more love on the countdown.

Leestu Mudhoney, “Mudhoney”, 1989 - I really missed the boat on Mudhoney. They've been a band on my to listen list for a long time and I only recently picked up both this Superfuzz Bigmuff. Both great records, where have they been all my life!

NSpan The Real Heroes, "Greetings From Russia", 2004 - Despite acknowledging where six is coming from, I enjoyed this. Definitely hear that art rock style which emerged in the early years of the millenium, and it was good fun.

numbersix Arcade fire, "Funeral", 2004 - Great pick AND placement! Other than that, while I do enjoy both Neon Bible and The Suburbs, I can't help but keeping returning to this record over those. I prefer the likes of Power Out over any of the songs on those records.

Ron Burgundy Radiohead, "Amnesiac", 2001 - When this was first released I was still very skeptical of where the band where heading. I hadn't been won over by their first single in years in Pyramid Song, and I was very blaise towards many of the other tracks on this. But like Kid A, somewhere it clicked, and now I love many of the songs on here, from the two songs featured to "You And Whose Army", "Morning Bell" and "Life In A Glass House". But I still find myself skipping "Pulk/ Pull Revolving Doors", "Hunting Bears" and "Like Spinning Plates", so unfortunately it will never be a true favourite of mine.

transformers The Dillinger Escape Plan, "Miss Machine", 2004 - First off, I love the name of this band, very cool. Secondly, maybe similarly to six I'm coming round to your continual bashing of heavy rock. But more likely, this was much more melodic than many of your other picks and lacking into too many growls. Also, it kind of sounded like MCR, whether you see that as a good or bad thing. It was okay, very listenable.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.51

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Disturbed, "The Sickness"
, 2000

"Down with the Sickness"

"Numb"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDMb_V9FXo

Geezer
To Be Added At Later Date

BleedBlackandGold
The Fugees, "The Score"
, 1986

The highest ranking Hip Hop album on my list . 3 Mc's who were magic together Praz Wyclef Jean and Ms Lauren hill. Great rhymes better beats and the whole concept rap album was so innovative.

"Fugeela"

Leestu
Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”
, 1984

I spent a lot of the eighties listening to all of the Talking Heads albums but this classic live album is the standout and the only one to make my list.

“Girlfriend Is Better”

“Swamp”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwr13cwuLk

NSpan
To Be Added At A Later Date

numbersix
Sonic Youth, “Murray Street”
, 2002

The media love the anticipation of a good comeback. Whether it’s Bob Dylan or Woody Allen, it’s an opportunity for an easy article. Sadly, once the excitement lapses we’re left with another sub-par effort. It felt like Sonic Youth were falling into the same pit. After a failed attempt to appeal to the mainstream (Dirty) and then struggling to reconcile their two sides throughout the 90s, it seemed the band would never rekindle the brilliance of their 80s records. And then 9/11 happened.

While it’s hard to say it had a huge impact on this record, it certainly affected the way the band saw themselves and their lives. The result is one of the best records I’ve ever heard. The dreamy aspects of Daydream Nation are revisited but with fresh ears, as if the band was somehow reborn. Thurston tries new tones with his yelping vocals, boasting the enthusiasm of the teenage rocker, and the interplay between his and Lee Ranaldo’s detuned guitars are as exciting as ever. Some of the longer songs go off on musical diversions, but manage to return to the distinct riffs that got you listening in the first place. Subsequent albums haven’t been as good (except for Thurston’s last solo album), but this slap in the face brought back some of the magic of the good times, and even made it better.

"The Empty Page"

"Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfWgMaqWfc4

Ron Burgundy
Tool, "10,000 Days"
, 2006

"The Pot"

"Vicarious"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKV9Stri_M

silversurfer
Foo Fighters, "There Is Nothing Left To Lose"
, 1999

I can still remember hearing Learn To Fly for the first time on Radio 1. I was appalled. What had happened to the band who could craft rock anthems like Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call and Everlong? This was... POP! I couldn't believe it. I abandoned all hope for Foo Fighters. But then, being the perfect alt-rock radio anthem, it kept creeping up on me, be played to death on both my local and national radio stations, while their ultra kooky video featuring Tenacious D and the rest of the band in different guises on an airplane was also played on a loop. And somehow, somehow, I started to like the song. And then I started to love it. The traditional Foos hallmarks were still there, but they had made their music poppier and more accessible than ever before. But it was good. I suppose I should always have expected it, the band had always hinted at such a turn, just in the fact that they were always a more accessible version of Nirvana in themselves. And then followed their LP, There Is Nothing Left To Lose. From the opener Stacked Actors, through huge hit Breakout and Generator, the band still knew how to rock, but managed to find a way in which it could appeal to a much bigger audience. At it's a damn catchy record. Still very listenable, and I can attest that 6 month olds LOVE Stacked Actors, this record just has so much appeal.

"Stacked Actors"

"Generator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz4Er9vNae0

transformers
Hatebreed, "The Rise of Brutality"
, 2003

"Doomsayer"

"Live for This"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEyp7YHSyM

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Off With Their Heads, "In Desolation" (2010)

1.Drive – 5 stars
2.Their Own Medicine – 4 stars
3.Trying to Breathe – 5 stars
4.ZZYZX – 4 stars
5.The Eyes of Death – 5 stars
6.Old Man – 3 stars
7.All I Can Do – 4 stars
8.I Need You – 4 stars
9.Spare Time – 3 stars
10.I Just Want You To Know – 4 stars
11.My Episodes – 4 stars
12.Clear The Air – 5 stars

A band I've talked about a couple of times on the boards. I recently saw them in a basement playing for about 50 people (youtube Off With Their Heads at the Whitney House), and it was one of the BEST shows of my life. This is their best album so far, and I can't stop listening to it. It's jumped several spots from the start of this countdown, and I only anticipate its rise even further. Clear the Air is one of the all-time great songs to close an album. And they are some of the most down to earth guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I couldn't recommend their band enough, so you're getting 3.

"Clear the Air"

(They had ONE TAKE to shoot the video)
"The Eyes of Death"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX6bvoSVlnM
"Drive"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrZ1Jg-CTE
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Killers, "Hot Fuss" (2004)

1.Jenny Was A Friend of Mine – 5 stars
2.Mr. Brightside – 5 stars
3.Smile Like You Mean It – 5 stars
4.Somebody Told Me – 4 stars
5.All These Things That I've Done – 5 stars
6.Andy, You're A Star – 3 stars
7.On Top – 4 stars
8.Change Your Mind – 4 stars
9.Believe Me Natalie – 4 stars
10.Midnight Show – 4 stars
11.Everything Will Be Alright – 3 stars

The Killers stunning debut effort is still the best thing they've ever done. At a time when music was starving for something different and well, actually worth listening to, these guys hit with this album and just killed it, no pun intended. I honestly can't believe its been 8 years since its release!

"Mr. Brightside"

"Smile Like You Mean It"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1p_NHFd8jM

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs
- No Help Coming (2011)

1 No Help Coming
2 The Rest of Your Life
3 Burn, Oh Junk Pile, Burn
4 Here Lies My Love
5 You're Under Arrest
6 The Whole Day Long
7 Get Out My House
8 The Only One
9 Leave It Alone
10 River of Tears
11 Lord Knows We're Drinking
12 L.S.D. (Rock 'n' Roll Prison)

A celebration of American roots music with a British twist. This duo can do no wrong in my book.

"Burn, Oh Junk Pile, Burn"

"Under Arrest"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq8ys7xaQnU
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Didn't like them before, still don't. Sorry.

Geezer: Off With Their Heads didn't do much for me (and what's with your love of songs with videos involving food being thrown at the band? You must love LCD Soundsystem's Drunk Girls). The two Killers songs were good, but I know some of the other songs on that album to know it's those singles that are way better than the rest.

John L: The Fugees. I didn't like them at the time - partly due to not liking any hip-hop in my teens, and partly because this damn record always seemed to turn up in the 10-CD collection of people who don't like music (along with some Oasis, David Gray, a Beatles compilation, etc) as if owning the album was an attempt to seem sophisticated. Listening to them now I at the very least dig the mellow tunes and the attempt to avoid the usual cliches of hip-hop.

Leetsu: Definitely one of my favourite live albums. I've even seen the full movie in the cinema. Twice. It actually took me a while to enjoy the studio version of Psycho Killer as I was so used to this one.

NSpan: that was really good. I've heard of Holly before (and she sang on a White Stripes album) and this was just great folk music. The first song had a bit of a Tom Waits vibe, what with the strange percussion, but the second song was fun too. Thanks for the introduction!

Ron B: I'm not much of a Tool man.

SS: Again, it was by this record that I tuned out of the Foo Fighters, not so much because of their music, but because I was more interested in other stuff. Those two songs haven't convinced me to ever want to hear more, but it was listenable enough. I'd certainly put their first two albums higher than this. It'll be interesting to see if you agree.

Tranny: Hatebreed? Brutality? I'm out the door!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

If we're taking our usual 1-2 day break between threads, that'd be helpful for me. I've fallen behind once again..

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Albums from this round I want to hear more of:

Minor Threat - Out of Step (which I actually bought last week on Dischord's site for $4)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Mudhoney - Mudhoney
Sonic Youth - Goo
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

And, at the half-way mark there have been a total of 19 albums from my Top 100 featured in other people's lists (mostly SS - although everyone is represented besides Geezer) and another 26 which I own but didn't make it.

Whatever happened to Aly?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.51

englishozzy Disturbed, "The Sickness", 2000 - Still not a fan, and Down With The Sickness is still one of those songs which truly grates on me.

Geezer The Killers, "Hot Fuss", 2004 - I remember when this was first released I became obsessed with the band, I loved the opener "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" and of course "Mr. Brightside". But over time I found myself listening to the record less and less. I guess I just moved on from their sound. There's still some very catchy songs on there, and I would never turn the record off, but I guess that immediate impact has worn off a little perhaps. Hasn't been helped by the subsequent transition into mediocrity, either...

BleedBlackandGold The Fugees, "The Score", 1986 - Didn't get the appeal, I kinda liked Ready Or Not when that was released, but other than that it's just not my genre.

Leestu Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”, 1984 - Another band I think I SHOULD like more than I do. I really like their '77 record, while Remain In Light is decent enough, but I guess it's just their sound which overall doesn't really appeal that much. I can acknowledge the talent, but it just doesn't really hold much for me, and so I rarely find myself listening to their records.

NSpan Holly Golightly And The Brokeoffs, 2011 - Like six I know of Holly from her collaboration with The White Stripes on Elephant, and I've always liked her voice. Never gotten around to picking up a record of hers though. I enjoyed both the tracks. The first had this kind of Southern, bluesy, western feel to it. Very nice folk. And the second was a lot of fun. Will be looking into this further.

numbersix Sonic Youth, “Murray Street”, 2002 - While I will disagree with you to an extent regarding their 21 century output, in that I actually quite enjoy Sonic Nurse, their work before this period is certainly better. I don't actually own this album, however, and I definitely enjoyed it. Will be getting it.

Ron Burgundy Tool, "10,000 Days", 2006 - Following the Song Countdown I looked into purchasing some Tool on the back of some strong selections. I picked up Undertow thanks to Sober. Unfortunately the album didn't really grab me in the same way. I'm not sure if Tool are just a band I can take in small, single song doses, as they obviously SHOULD be a band I really like, but it just hasn't clicked yet. I'll give this a go though as these songs were good.

transformers Hatebreed, "The Rise of Brutality", 2003 - Perhaps you haven't converted me just yet to your style of music...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

60-51 Recap

englishozzy
60. Keane, "Hopes and Fears", 2004
59. Alkaline Trio, "From Here to Infirmary", 1998
58. Third Eye Blind, "Third Eye Blind", 1997
57. Against Me!, "New Wave", 2007
56. Slayer, "Christ Illusion", 2006
55. Porcupine Tree, "Fear of a Blank Planet", 2007
54. AC/DC, "High Voltage", 1976
53. Wolfmother, "Wolfmother", 2005
52. Foo Fighters, "One by One", 2002
51. Disturbed, "The Sickness", 2000

Geezer
60. The Beatles, "Magial Mystery Tour", 1967
59. Against Me!, "As The Eternal Cowboy", 2003
58. Matt & Kim, "Matt & Kim", 2006
57. The Gaslight Anthem, "American Slang", 2010
56. Streetlight Manifesto, "Somewhere in the Between", 2007
55. Social Distortion, "Social Distortion", 1990
54. Boston, "Boston", 1976
53. The Beatles, "Revolver", 1966
52. Off With Their Heads, "In Desolation", 2010
51. The Killers, "Hot Fuss", 2004

BleedBlackandBlue
60. Minor Threat, "Out of Step", 1983
59. The Flatliners, "The Great Awake", 2007
58. Anti Flag, "The Terror State", 2003
57. Stiff Little Fingers, "Inflamable Material", 1979
56. The Offspring, "Americana", 1998
55. Rancid, "Indestructible", 2003
54. AFI, "Sing The Sorrow", 2003
53. Bad Brains, "Bad Brains", 1982
52. Husker Du, "Candy Apple Grey", 1986
51. The Fugees, "The Score", 1986

Leestu
60. R.E.M., “Monster”, 1994
59. Beastie Boys, “Ill Communication”, 1994
58. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Tender Prey”, 1988
57. Stiff Little Fingers, "Inflamable Material", 1979
56. Pink Floyd, “The Dark Side of the Moon”, 1973
55. Silverchair, “Frogstomp”, 1995
54. Radiohead, “OK Computer”, 1997
53. The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Psychocandy”, 1985
52. Mudhoney, “Mudhoney”, 1989
51. Talking Heads, “Stop Making Sense”, 1984

NSpan
60. Spindrift, "Classic Soundtracks Vol. 01", 2011
59. Paul McCartney. "Ram", 1971
58. Grateful Dead, "American Beauty", 1970
57. Adam Green, "Gemstones", 2005
56. Pixies, “Doolittle”, 1989
55. Black Mountain, “Black Mountain”, 2005
54. David Bowie, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”, 1972
53. Lovage, "Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By", 2001
52. The Real Heroes, "Greetings From Russia", 2004
51. Holly Golightly And The Brokeoffs, "No Help Coming", 2011

numbersix
60. Wolf Parade, “Apologies to the Queen Mary”, 2005eane, "Hopes and Fears", 2004
59. Bonnie Prince Billy, “Ease Down the Road”, 2001
58. Joanna Newsom, “Have One On Me”, 2001
57. Suicide, “Suicide”, 1977
56. Pixies, “Doolittle”, 1989
55. dEUS, “Worst Case Scenario”, 1994
54. Menomena, “Friend And Foe”, 2007
53. Bob Dylan, “Highway ’61 Revisited”, 1965
52. Arcade fire, "Funeral", 2004
51. Sonic Youth, “Murray Street”, 2002

Ron Burgundy
60. Air, "Pocket Symphony", 2007
59. Metallica, "Master Of Puppets", 1986
58. J.U.S.T.I.C.E, "Cross", 2007
57. Crowded House, "Woodface", 1991
56. The 12th Man, "Wired World Of Sports", 1987
55. Eminem, "The Eminem Show", 2002
54. Queens Of The Stone Age, "Songs for the Deaf", 2002
53. Gotye, "Like Drawing Blood", 2006
52. Radiohead, "Amnesiac", 2001
51. Tool, "10,000 Days", 2006

silversurfer
60. The Secret Machines, "Ten Silver Drops", 2006
59. The Replacements, "Tim", 1985
58. The Libertines, "Up The Bracket", 2002
57. Queens Of The Stone Age, "Songs For The Deaf", 2002
56. Led Zeppelin, "IV", 1971
55. Radiohead, "In Rainbows", 2007
54. Mclusky, "Mclusky Do Dallas", 2001
53. Arcade fire, "Funeral", 2004
52. Sonic Youth, "Goo", 1990
51. Foo Fighters, "There Is Nothing Left To Lose", 1999

transformers
60. Between The Buried and Me, "Alaska", 2005
59. Eminem, "The Slim Shady LP", 1999
58. Atmosphere, "Seven's Travels", 2003
57. Queens Of The Stone Age, "Lullabies to Paralyze", 2005
56. 2pac, "Me Against the World", 1995
55. Behemoth, "Demigod", 2004
54. 2pac, "All Eyez on Me", 1996
53. At the Gates, "Slaughter of the Soul", 1995
52. The Dillinger Escape Plan, "Miss Machine", 2004
51. Hatebreed, "The Rise of Brutality", 2003
Last edited by silversurfer19 on December 15th, 2012, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Waiting on picks from ozzy, Geez, NSpan and tranny before posting a new thread...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Mine's in.

Not that it matters, but my #51 pick was Holly Golightly... not NIN

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

sent

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Oh shit sorry to hold things up, I will send my pick right now.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!