Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#

Post by numbersix »

Considering the amount of songs, records, and moves we have in common, guess you have a bit of that allergy yourself.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Darkness - Permission to Land - 4/10 (although bonus points for the single)
Black Flag - Damaged - 3/10
Dead Kennedy's - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - 3/10
The Greenhornes - Dual Mono - 7/10
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground - 6/10
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other - 3/10
Meat Puppets - II - 5/10
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000 - 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

NSpan wrote:What are your thoughts on Steel Panther?

Steel Panther are a hundred times better than The Darkness :)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:Considering the amount of songs, records, and moves we have in common, guess you have a bit of that allergy yourself.
Blasphemy! We're nothing alike, Six!! :twisted:

And stop stealing my moves ;)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Cursed inability to spell :D

And surely you know by know that I am your Tyler Durden, leading you into the scary abyss of the unnerving world of art, the terrifying realm of subtitled movies, and the horrifying world of originality ;)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Fuck that noise
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm going to make sure that's on your gravestone

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

:lol:
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.61

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Midnight Oil, "Diesel and Dust"

An iconic Australian band infusing political messaging in catchy 80's tunes. Peter Garrett's dance moves are almost as famous as his political career.

"Beds are Burning"

"Sell My Soul"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG_a55_bh1Y

Geezer
Lucero, "Lucero"
, 2001

1.Little Silver Heart – 4 stars
2.My Best Girl – 5 stars
3.Wandering Star – 3 stars
4.A Dangerous Thing – 4 stars
5.Drink Til We're Gone – 5 stars
6.Raising Hell – 4 stars
7.Banks of the Arkansas – 3 stars
8.All Sewn Up – 5 stars
9.Wasted – 3 stars
10.Hold Fast – 3 stars
11.Better Than This – 4 stars
12.All These Love Songs – 5 stars
13.No Roses No More – 3 stars
14.It Gets the Worst At Night – 5 stars

I think, or at least I hope, some of you are going to like this. It's definitely different from the stuff I normally listen to. It's kind of a cross between Nirvana and country, that's the best way I can describe it. A friend introduced me to them a year or two ago and I absolutely fell in love with their song writing ability. This debut album lead me to add their entire discography to my collection. It is brilliant. I'm gonna give you 3 songs, the closer being my favorite, because well, it is certainly not the same as most of what I already give you so why not give more of it? And this is not even their best album! If you like it, check out the rest.

"My Best Girl"

"Drink Till We're Gone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBeevjTLtvI
"It Gets the Worst At Night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9TxC4LEcs

BleedBlackandGold
Blink-182, "Blink-182"
, 2003

A mature image of the often humorous band , This was the final record before their inital break up.

"Stockholm Syndrome"

Leestu
They Might Be Giants, "Flood"
, 1990

This is how I like my pop - catchy and quirky.

"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"

"Your Racist Friend"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxEnQZi3Ow

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Henry’s Dream”
, 1992

Central to the appreciation of Nick Cave’s ensemble band has always been the front man’s lyrics. A poet and storyteller at heart, Cave is at his best when painting vivid pictures with his arsenal of tales. And it’s on this under-rated record where he’s almost at his best. We get dark tales of dusty towns and their inner transgressions. We get Western imagery of mysterious cads turning up in unwelcoming territory. We get tales of love and love turned sour. And lots of blood.

These dusty gothic images are accompanied by a frenzied Bad Seeds, who are at their most aggressive. Acoustic guitars bash out manic tunes, the bass and drums pounding like some sort of deranged folk music. And fortunately there are even a few moments of respite, such as the beautiful Straight to You. This is a powerful record of darkness and light, one that pulls you into its intense atmosphere. And to think Cave and Co. were unhappy with the production.

"Straight To You"

"I Had A Dream, Joe"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpTzGIcJkM

Ron Burgundy
AC:DC, "Highway to Hell"
, 1979

"Night Prowler"

silversurfer
The White Stripes, "De Stijl"
, 2005

As the precurser to their break out hit White Blood Cells, De Stijl has largely and unfairly ignored by the general public. While the band went on to bigger things following the success of Hotel Yorba et al, this record is almost as impressive, with some bristling punk songs mixed with a dash of blues for which they are famous for. The song writing is some of the best White has ever recorded, with instant classics like "You're Pretty Good Looking For A Girl", "Hello Operator" and "Apple Blossom" showcasing the depth of his influences while extending his own musical ability to craft something new from it. Despite being much less well known than what was to follow, this is easily one of the band's greatest triumphs in creating catchy pop music.

"You're Pretty Good Looking For A Girl"

"Hello Operator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVqImkgV84

transformers,
The Mars Volta, "Frances the Mute"
, 2005

"Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus"

"The Widow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d91pMZkxkQ
(Cassandra Gemini is my 2nd-favorite track on here, but it's 32 minutes long so I decide to post my third favorite song, The Widow, instead because of the much shorter duration)
Last edited by silversurfer19 on November 2nd, 2012, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: That first song was a huge anthem over here. Brought back memories!

Geezer: Reminded me a bit of Steve Earle. It was certainly different from your usual pick. And it was very listenable. Really enjoyed it. I quite enjoy the limited alt-country acts I know, and this would fit into that so-called genre.

John L: I was going to scoff at this song because of the trite beginning, but the song itself wasn't that bad. Still find them a bit obnoxious, though.

Leetsu: Hey, it's the guys who did the theme tune to Malcolm in the Middle!

Ron: That was long, but very catchy.

SS: I think when you've got 2 or 3 White Stipes albums you don't need any more. And the albums are interchangeable. I don't have De Stijl but the songs were indeed very cool.

Tranny: Well, SS will be happy.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (1968)

Side One
Lather
In Time
Triad
Star Track
Share a Little Joke
Chushingura

Side Two
If You Feel
Crown of Creation
Ice Cream Phoenix
Greasy Heart
The House at Pooneil Corners

The Airplane embodied (and were paramount in the creation of) the San Francisco Haight-Ashbury folk-rock scene. They were the proto-hippies who kicked off all that inexplicable 1960s "peace and love" jazz that Papa Shryke will have to, one day, gather us 'round and explain. Their process was organic, and--much like their neighbors, The Grateful Dead--their live sound didn't always translate to the studio. On stage, their music was often tailored to suit the venue, the audience, and the overall atmosphere. Some songs were written and played concisely, but others were deliberately left open-ended. That improvisational approach left them a bit lost in the studio, with nothing (and nobody) to set the mood or pace. Perfectly-crafted gems like "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" were not representative of the band--in fact, those two particular tracks were not originally intended for Jefferson Airplane (more on that later). But such hits began to define the expectations of fans and critics alike. Being at odds with one's own reputation is usually disastrous. On Crown of Creation however, the band managed the rare feat of capturing the essence of their live show and--even more impressively--were able to strike a balance between their experimental approach and their earlier pop crossovers. While the band's true pinnacle is documented on several live recordings (both official and bootlegged), Crown of Creation serves as the band's penultimate achievement in the studio.

"Greasy Heart"

"Star Track"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsSXJ4nK7Y

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I gotta come back and finish the rest later, but here's a few responses:

Leestu They Might Be Giants, "Flood", 1990
Once I hit 'play,' I realized that I am familiar with their version of "Istanbul"... though, had you asked me, I would've referred you to the 1950s version by The Four Lads. Shows how hip I am! Anyway, I dug it. I also liked the second song (though I was anticipating a cover of The Specials).

Ron Burgundy AC:DC, "Highway to Hell", 1979
Great album, great band, great song selection. If not this track, I might've gone with "Walk All Over You"

silversurfer The White Stripes, "De Stijl", 2005
This was a major contender for my own list. Until very recently, I could say with certainty that it's my favorite White Stripes album. Nowadays it might be a toss-up between this and White Blood Cells depending on my mood. De Stijl has a perfect blend of light, infectious indie-pop and genuinely inspired blues that it's hard to muster up a single criticism. I guess it's just less loud and more modest than what would come later, so it kinda got lost in the mix in terms of popular reception.

transformers, The Mars Volta, "Frances the Mute", 2005
As I said in response to SS's entry: I dig the band, and I dig the album. But how this ever became mainstream is a mystery to me. It's as if King Crimson's Islands became a popular favorite. Just seems odd.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Lucero - Lucero - 6/10
Blink 182 - Blink 182 - 8/10
This Might Be Giants - Flood - 7/10
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream - 8/10
AC/DC - Highway to Hell - 9/10
The White Stripes - De Stijl - 8/10
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute - 5/10
Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation - 6/10 (cool video)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan, I really like Somebody to Love and White Rabbit so was intrigued by your pick. Your thoughts on their studio albums are interesting. So this is their best record? I dug the music. I find The Grateful dead a little dull and The Doors a little pretentious, so these guys sounds to me like the perfect balance between the two.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan, I really like Somebody to Love and White Rabbit so was intrigued by your pick. Your thoughts on their studio albums are interesting. So this is their best record? I dug the music. I find The Grateful dead a little dull and The Doors a little pretentious, so these guys sounds to me like the perfect balance between the two.
I worded my description a bit vaguely. I actually have one more studio album coming up from Jefferson Airplane.

The Grateful Dead simply flooded the market by releasing a million albums since the 60s (officially released live recordings, half-baked studio albums, and taping EVERY show they EVER played... EVER: making the bootleg market simply nauseating). They have two truly great studio LPs, in my opinion--and neither are representative of their live sound. If you're willing to do the digging, this band can really pay off. But I can't blame some people for choosing not to bother.

I dig the Doors, but I hate Jim Morrison... and John Densmore. Ray Manzarek was kind of a douche, too. I'm cool with Robby Krieger. "When the Music's Over" is one of my all-time favorite songs. But their albums are uneven as hell (except maybe LA Woman), and I just don't find myself listening to them anymore. I still like the band... though they were a lot more interesting when I was a teenager. And their live stuff is a bore with Morrison spouting off his "poetry" instead of performing.

Personally, I'd take the Airplane over both of those bands any day. There's a lot more going on in their music, and I don't think you have to be on drugs to appreciate the live stuff... though it never hurt. They experiment, but their jams don't drone on endlessly. Generally, they were focused and knew when it was time to wrap up an improv and simply move on within their set.