Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#

Post by NSpan »

I got the remastered second album a long time ago. If your expectations are set by the debut, you're gonna be disappointed. Once you get past that and listen a bit more... there's some solid tunes. It's a good album... just not epic. I like the tracks: Foxhole, Glory, Ain't That Nothin', Days, and The Dream's Dream
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: I was wondering when one of T.Rex's albums would pop up. I've never liked them, though I do recall enjoying one or two of the songs you posted in your Top 100. These selections didn't do a whole lot for me, so maybe I'm going to revert to the ultimate music fan cliche of saying I probably prefer his earlier stuff.
Hope you don't mind, but I provided one last track from the album--just for you:

"Teen Riot Structure"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7wOZx2B5I
(the sound is a bit muffled, so crank up those speakers)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

no.70

Alyson The Who, "Live at Leeds", 1970
The first The Who record I owned, and probably still my favourite. Captures the energy of the band perfectly and to have songs like I'm A Boy and Pinball Wizard playing alongside an extended My Generation, it's a thrilling record to listen to and probably one record that came close to capturing what I believe their live show would have been like. Great pick.

englishozzy The Raveonettes, "Pretty in Black", 2005
As already mentioned, I don't own this record... yet. Still some good songs though, so looking forward to hearing it in its full length.

Geezer Weezer, "Pinkerton", 1996
Brilliant album, very different from The Blue Album, but nevertheless outstanding. More to come...

BleedBlackandGold Dead Kennedys, "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables", 1980
Been on my to get list for a while, I've always heard this is their best record and probably a good starting point to hearing the band. Would that probably be correct? I liked what tranny posted in the 100 song countdown and I liked what I heard here. A Lot.

Leestu Syd Barrett, "The Madcap Laughs", 1970
I've always much preferred the earlier, Barrett influenced Pink Floyd, though never gotten round to listening to his solo material. This wasn't too far removed from what I like of "Piper", and I'd be interested to hear more as while it probably wasn't as instantly catchy as his band's work, there's definitely something intriguing going on. It's going on my to add list.

NSpan Paul McCartney, “McCartney”, 1970
Just can never get into any post Beatles work really, whether it's Lennon, McCartney or Harrison, it all feels, to paraphrase six, that their solo output was less than the sum of the parts they were when together. Some cool guitars but nothing that can ever really interest me and not even half the catchiness of most Beatles work.

numbersix Miles Davis, “Kind of Blue”, 1959
I just don't think I really have the patience to listen to jazz. I can appreciate some interesting things were going on in the song, but for some reason I just can never maintain my attention for it.

transformers Linkin Park, "Meteora", 2003
Like I've said previously, not as bad as some make out they are, but I do feel they've never really moved on from this style from what I've heard, though it'd never turn it off either. Better than expected.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Hope you don't mind, but I provided one last track from the album--just for you:

"Teen Riot Structure"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7wOZx2B5I
(the sound is a bit muffled, so crank up those speakers)
I'm deeply offended.

(actually, that song wasn't bad, the best of the three. I also know I Love to Boogie from the record. But I'll hold back and see what the other records are like before making a decision).

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

englishozzy Genesis, "Duke", 1980
Feels like all the pomposity of rock which emerged in the 1980s, and it really doesn't appeal. That and my dad put me off Genesis forever by playing "I Can't Dance" for three weeks straight during a holiday to Disney World when I was 8. Scarred for life....

Geezer Against Me!, "New Wave", 2007
I got this record, along with the other Against band, Rise Against's, following the song countdown. I expected to like Rise Against's record more, but for some reason this one appealed much more, it was catchy with some interesting guitar work going on. Glad I picked it up, it's a decent record.

BleedBlackandGold Green Day, "Nimrod", 1980
Don't own or even know too much of this record. Sounded much like the Dookie material, and it was okay. Should probably get around to picking this up one day.

Leestu Ministry, "ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ", 1992
A band I've only ever known of by name though I did know they were supposed to be quite important in tems of influence. For the first couple of minutes it was not what I was expecting AT ALL. Then it turned into some kind of Metallica song (at least from what I know of them). Second song had a lot more appeal, and almost sounded a little like NIN, hopefully the record is more of that as otherwise they just came across a bit thrashy, which is a shame, I thought these would be a band I'd really get something from.

NSpan T Rex , “Dandy In The Underworld”, 1977
I only own the T Rex compilation, so naturally only know the big hits, for which while I'm a fan I don't really listen to very often. But this was decent, perhaps not as instantly classic as something like 20th Century Boy or Ride A White Swan, but definitely had it's catchy melody. I'll keep my eye out during the countdown regarding which studio record to start with.

numbersix Death From Above 1979, “You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine”, 2004
I remember when these guys first came out they were the hottest thing in rock for a while. I saw them a little later at a festival and they were SO LOUD. It's was a pumelling my ears took, but it was so intense and fun I loved it. Great songs which I need to listen to more often.

transformers Skeletonwitch, "Beyond the Permafrost", 2007
[ctrl] [C] [ctrl] [V] Yikes!

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Against Me - New Wave - 8/10
Green Day - Nimrod - 9/10
Ministry - ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ - 7/10
T-Rex - Dandy in the Underworld - 7/10
Death from Above 1979 - Your a Woman, I'm a Machine - 6/10
Television - Marquee Moon - 5/10
Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost - 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote: Geezer: Probably the best of the pop-punk acts you've posted. Still didn't blow me away, but the first song was decent. How do you feel about the lead singer announcing he's now a she?
Well first off, I certainly wouldn't qualify Against Me! as "pop punk." When you hear some of their earlier stuff, you'll see why. They've grown to some more popular-style music over the last couple albums, this included, but their live show is anything but "pop." It is raw, in your face, awesomeness. They are truly a band best experienced live.

As far as Tom becoming Laura, it doesn't impact my opinion of the band one bit. I think it took incredible courage to come forth with it, knowing that it could damage her career. She's being true to herself, and what is more punk than that? And the Rolling Stone article about it was outstanding.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The songs off that record sound like pop-punk to me. Even if the vocals are harsh there's a lot of the same kind of melodies you find in bands that fit the genre. Having said that, I do agree that their first few records are less so and are indeed very raw.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

As for the gender change, I remember a band called Ocean Colour Scene being huge over here. They were the "next Oasis" and most of my school-mates were fans. Then the lead singer came out of the closet, and they lost so many of their fans instantly. Not the same of course, but I wonder if some of their fist-pumping fans would be aghast at the news.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm not a huge Against Me! fan, but New Wave is definitely not the best representation of their sound. They were a lot more punk back in the day (Reinventing Axl Rose especially, which is easily the best of their work that I've heard and it's going to be coming up on geez's list so you will get to hear some of it). As geez said though, They are a band best experienced in a live setting. Their studio stuff just is decent to me, but their live show is thoroughly enjoyable and fun.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.68

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy
Nightwish, "Once"
, 2004

The sort of music my fiancee listens to all the time, this album stands out high above the rest. Tarja's voice is mesmerising, especially in the two tracks I have chosen.

"Nemo"

"Planet Hell"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQTqI2BouQ

Geezer
The Ramones, "The Ramones"
, 1976

.Blitzkrieg Bop – 5 stars
2.Beat on the Brat – 5 stars
3.Judy Is A Punk – 5 stars
4.I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend – 4 stars
5.Chainsaw – 4 stars
6.Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue – 3 stars
7.I Don't Wanna Go Down To The Basement – 4 stars
8.Loudmouth – 3 stars
9.Havana Affair – 4 stars
10.Listen To My Heart – 4 stars
11.Let's Dance – 5 stars
12.53rd and 3rd – 5 stars
13.I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You – 4 stars
14.Today New York, Tomorrow The World – 3 stars

The outstanding debut from The Ramones, quite possibly the most important punk record ever created.

"Beat on the Brat"

"Let's Dance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f1uWMC7i9k

BleedBlackandGold
Set Your Goals, "Mutiny"
, 2006

As far as melodic hardcore goes it really doesn't get much better . Mutiny was a verbal attacy on the industry as well as an album loaded with songs that everyone can relate to.

"Mutiny"

Leestu
Suede, "Suede"
, 1993

I could have picked any of the four great singles off this debut album but it is the album tracks that make it special. A very emotional album, not surprisingly with subjects such as death, suicide, overdoses, depression, etc, it has a passion and a sad beauty that shines through when listening to the whole album.

"Pantomime Horse"

"Breakdown"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-ejzWhTiQ

NSpan
Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove
, 1978

Side One
"One Nation Under a Groove"
"Groovallegiance"
"Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!"

Side Two
"Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (The Doodoo Chasers)"
"Into You"
"Cholly (Funk Getting Ready To Roll!)"

Side Three ("Bonus EP")
"Lunchmeatophobia (Think!...It Ain't Illegal Yet!)"
"Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad (The Doodoo Chasers)" -- Instrumental Version
"Maggot Brain" -- Live

I mentioned before that--despite the primary contributing members being nearly identical in each band--I usually prefer Funkadelic over Parliament. The reason for this is that Funkadelic records are explicitly cohesive, and they're made to be listened to all the way through. That said, you really can't go wrong with either band's 70's output. This particular album came with a free "Bonus EP" which usually means some experimental crap that the band wanted to release but the record company couldn't justify charging for it. Not so here. The bonus EP serves as a solid "Side Three" to the album--and only deviates from the theme in that it consists of purely instrumental pieces. The first track ("Lunchmeatophobia") is catchy and aggressive with a great guitar hook that you don't forget. The live version of Maggot Brain is great, and it is included to show that guitarist Mike Hampton could fill the shoes of Eddie Hazel--a fact that nobody disputed after they saw him play. The only repeated track on the bonus EP is an instrumental version of the "P.E. Squad"--but the focus is so wildly different it doesn't feel repetitive. Regarding the main LP, every song is basically a recruitment flyer for the funk revolution. In their own way, each beckons the listener to "pledge allegiance to the funk." A similar thread would be continued on their next album (Uncle Jam Wants You) . Everything on a Funkadelic album is a deep cut, but if you already know my selections by heart, check out "Groovallegiance" or "Into You."

"One Nation Under A Groove"

"Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2nqZCSnN1U

numbersix
Tom Waits, “Swordfishtrombones”
, 1983

This is Tom’s first foray into his more experimental and “weird” side, after a decade of jazzy barroom ballads. It felt like Tom could finally breathe, and could finally explore his true musical identity. But it’s reductive to say it’s just an experimentation of weird sounds. There’s tender piano numbers such as the movingly sentimental Soldier’s Things, there’s the stomping blues in Down Down Down, the upbeat march of In the Neighbourhood, etc. All of this combines into a smorgasbord of Americana, topped with Waits’ incredibly wry and consistently cool lyrics.

Soldier’s Things

16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLdxxJEB80

Ron Burgundy
To be added at later date

silversurfer
The National, "Alligator"
, 2005

The National were another band I discovered through my teletext review page, where I was intrigued to listen to one of their singles, "Lit Up", Upon hearing it I was taken aback by how this Brookyln band managed to convey such a British sensibility about their music, how Matt Berringer's baritone vocals could convey such beauty and sadness within the same breath. This is followed through within their breakout record, "Alligator", where they were able to display such emotion and wonder in a delicate balance of dark and light, fast and slow, sorrow and joy. Always a joy to listen to, to discover the bleak but at the same time beautiful lyrics, the subtle undertones of the guitars, and just when you are in the mood for some gloomy delights, Alligator is a brilliant record from start to finish.

"Abel"

"Looking For Astronauts"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3NyfvMAh2c

transformers
Van Halen, "Van Halen"
, 2007

Hard rock at it's best. Van Halen's debut showed they were absolute heavyweights of the genre with Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar playing and David Lee Roth's unique, soaring vocals. This was a beyond memorable record that Van Halen or pretty much anyone else in the hard rock hasn't been able to touch since.

"Ain't Takin' 'Bout Love"

"Jamie's Cryin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiZxdTzz7o

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: Didn't really do much for me. The music sounded like a rock band who watched LOTR far too many times. It's OTT, and her vocals didn't really impress, it sounds laboured.

Geez: I guess if I'm going to pick up a Ramones record, this is the best start. Two excellent songs.

John L: I really, really miss your pre 90s picks.

Leetsu: Never got into these guys, mostly because I discovered them towards the end of their career, which wasn't great. I do love Animal Nitrate, though. These songs were okay, like a mix between Echo and the Bunnymen and The Smiths.

NSpan: I pledge allegiance to the flag of funk and to the records on which it stands, one music fan under the influence of rock, indivisible.

SS: A decent record, and almost as if the album was written chronology, it gets increasingly better and more assured of itself as the album progresses, culminating in their best song up until then (Mr November). But I think they got even better with their next two albums.

Tranny: It was fun, and now I know where that riff is from.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer The Ramones, "The Ramones", 1976
I dig the Ramones... though I really dislike the brand of "punk" that they helped create. When prog-rock bands were using entire symphony orchestras and presenting segments of multi-part songs as "movements," things were getting a tad ridiculous. Punk was simply the inevitable backlash (...and it happened again when grunge overthrew hair-metal). Punk reminded the world that rock doesn't need to be taken quite so seriously. But that doesn't mean it needs to be dumbed down. And, unfortunately, that's kinda what the Ramones did with the genre. Limiting themselves to the most basic song structures, the anybody-can-do-it musicianship, and (albeit intentionally) simplistic lyrics, they spawned generations of DIY descendants with zero talent who misconstrued punk as a rejection of skill and creativity.

englishozzy Nightwish, "Once", 2004
I think Six made the same mistake that I did: he watched the video. If I listened to the music alone first, I would've had a very different first impression. On second-take: the vocals were good--but WAY too much vibrato. She has a nice voice, but the theatrical approach isn't doing her any favors. And is it just me... or does your fiancee rock out slightly harder than you do?

BleedBlackandGold Set Your Goals, "Mutiny", 2006
I think the term "hardcore" is being used a bit liberally nowadays. Anyway, I really disliked the song when I watched the video... then I realized that I mostly just hated the video. I clicked 'play' again and switched to another window... much better that time around.

Leestu Suede, "Suede", 1993
....so THIS is what the Brits were doing in the early 90s. I always wondered.

numbersix Tom Waits, “Swordfishtrombones”, 1983
I rounded out my Tom Waits collection during the Song Countdown. Got over 20 of his albums now. And, even then, I still like his "jazzy barroom ballads" best. Great song selections, by the way. In fact, "Soldier's Things" isn't that far off from a jazzy barroom ballad, is it? As an aside: the title track from Blue Valentine has become one of my absolute favorites since you brought my attention to it.

silversurfer The National, "Alligator", 2005
Didn't do much for me, I'm afraid. Wasn't big on the vocals (is this alt-rock Bruce Springsteen?), and the music wasn't enough to offset it. That isn't to say I don't see any appeal, though.

transformers Van Halen, "Van Halen", 2007
The single tolerable Van Halen album. And, boy, does it have its moments! But I'd still sacrifice it if it meant the world would be spared the Van Halen (and Van Hagar) that would follow.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Album No.69

englishozzy Genesis,1980 - This is the type of 80s music I've been trying to avoid all my life. For some reason though I was curious where this fit in their discography - I had no idea they had so many albums.

Geezer Against Me!, "New Wave" 2007 - I haven't been able to pry the computer away from thee kids lately and these tracks weren't available on my phone, however I'll check them out at some stage, and it looks like I'll get the chance to check them out live next year at a festival.

BleedBlackandGold Green Day, "Nimrod", 1997 - This album has it's moments, both bad (eg Good Riddance & and Nice Guys Finish Last) and good (The Grouch & Hitchin A Ride), but overall too average and too many fillers so I end up a bit bored by it.

NSpan T-Rex, Dandy in the Underworld, 1977 - Similar to Surfer T-Rex are a band I only know a little of through the singles and the one compilation I own but I do like their style. These songs were cool...I found myself grooving a little.

numbersix Death From Above 1979, “You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine”, 2004 - Have only heard the 2nd song so far but it was very interesting.

silversurfer Television, "Marquee Moon"[/b], 1977 - Why haven't I got this album yet? That is just wrong!

transformers Skeletonwitch, "Beyond the Permafrost", 2007 - I was surprised when I actually found myself enjoying the music on the second song. But the first song was definitely too much.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
Leetsu: Never got into these guys, mostly because I discovered them towards the end of their career, which wasn't great. I do love Animal Nitrate, though. These songs were okay, like a mix between Echo and the Bunnymen and The Smiths.
I agree. The weakest track on this album is so much better than anything they did after it. But luckily I had this album early (a rare purchase for me back in the day based solely on the strength of their debut single The Drowners) and this, or at least even just the four singles, is worth having.