Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #70-#

Post by Geezer »

But it wasn't a compilation, it was an alteration. Many albums in that day were released with "British" and "American" versions. I know Hendrix did it as well. Basically this is just the American version of With the Beatles, thus not the same as something such as the "early years set".
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.64

Alyson
To Be Added At Later Date

englishozzy

Geezer
Sublime, "Sublime"
, 1996

1.Garden Grove – 5 stars
2.What I Got – 5 stars
3.Wrong Way – 5 stars
4.Same In The End – 4 stars
5.April 29th 1992 – 4 stars
6.Santeria – 5 stars
7.Seed – 4 stars
8.Jailhouse – 3 stars
9.Pawn Shop – 2 stars
10.Paddle Out – 2 stars
11.The Ballad of Johnny Butt – 3 stars
12.Burritos – 2 stars
13.Under My Voodoo – 2 stars
14.Get Ready – 3 stars
15.Caress Me Down – 4 stars
16.What I Got (Reprise) – 5 stars
17.Doin' Time – 5 stars

The final album Sublime recorded before Bradley Noelle tragically lost his life, and what was to be Sublime's masterpiece. It is too long, but damn there are so many great ones in there.

"Santeria"

"Wrong Way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLifSFBs_Lk

BleedBlackandGold
Ramones, "End of the Century"
, 1980

The controversial Ramones album that shocked people with it's poppy sound brought out by producer phil spetre.

"Rock N Roll High School'"

Leestu
Mudhoney, "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge"
, 1984

"Pokin' Around"

"Broken Hands"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYa1Z6BvCw

NSpan

numbersix
The National , “High Violet”
, 2010

Towards the end of their album Alligator I noticed that The National were starting to find their voice. Mixing indie rock with a sense of overwhelming drama really tipped the balance for these guys. Their next album, Boxer, was a stunner. The music was more confident, more distinct, even if singer Matt Berninger’s lyrics grew increasingly insular and introverted. But I think they improved their craft even more with the latest album. The quality is maintained throughout every single song. The music is even better, at times gentle, and at other times sounding like what U2 might have been if the egos weren’t so rampant.

Berninger’s lyrics are even better. He’s shifting from his sense of isolation to writing songs about the personal terror of having to interact with reality, both socially and politically. This is a great band to grow up with.

Anyone’s Ghost

Afraid of Everyone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yskRDrmqI

Ron Burgundy
To be added at later date

silversurfer
R.E.M, "Document"
, 1987

R.E.M have long been one of the staple bands I grew up with, first discovering them with their more popular works of the earlier 90s before being inspired during my later teens to explore their work during what is now determined the "IRS Years". While I appreciated, and loved much of what R.E.M became during their most popular era, I was astonished and amazed by what the band crafted during this phase, where they managed to become college radio favourites. Their final record with IRS, "Document" was a distillation of all of the gifts that had brought them rightfully to the brink of superstardom. It is a record that bristles with energy, powerful hooks, great humor, and righteous political indignation. As a lyricist, Stipe was never better: tracks like "Exhuming McCarthy," "Finest Worksong" and the legitimately standard-worthy "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" cast into bold relief the deep intelligence that has always seemed to lurk just beneath the surface of his writing, while The One I Love points at the future, arena R.E.M, in which they rightfully became the biggest band on the planet. This record is a transitional phase for R.E.M, but it's such a strong collection of songs it feels an injustice to call it such. Indeed it's one of the most important records of the 80s and an exciting listen every time

"Finest Worksong"

"Exhuming McCarthy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRn2GLLdTg

transformers,
Killswitch Engage, "Alive or Just Breathing"
, 2002

Classic metalcore record with plenty of good hooks, catchy riffs, emotion, and beyond memorable tracks. Vocalist Jesse Leach made a hell of an impression on this album before getting kicked out of the band for his drug problem (He's been sober since 2005 and is recently re-joined after his replacement Howard Jones left the band for personal and health reasons.) This is an album that grew on me over time and is now a stone-cold classic in my eyes.

"The Element of One"

"Life to Lifeless"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv2QMx0k9UY

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.65

englishozzy Skyhooks, "Ego is Not a Dirty Word", 1975 _ I could definitely imagine these being a fun band to watch live or to get drunk and have a listen to, but in all seriousness I just didn't get into it. I suppose they are one of those bands where you have to be in the moment to get it, I just wasn't there, I'm afraid.

Geezer Staind, "14 Shades of Grey ", 2003 - One of those bands during that rebirth of grunge that I really didn't like. They appeared around the same time as Nickelback, and I suppose you feel differently, but I just didn't like the genre. Perhaps a little nostalgia or home support plays a part in your support of the band, heck, we all do (I will always give a chance to a Liverpool band, NSpan loves Texan bands, six has a thing for leprachauns...) or maybe it again was a right place, right time for you, but for me, sorry didn't work. And the slow song worked even less. Sounded like a Pearl Jam reject.

BleedBlackandGold A Global Threat, "What The Fuck Will Change?", 1999 - Awesome intro riff, sounded like it was influenced by something like Territorial Pissings, but the screamy vocals generally didn't appeal and the rest of the song couldn't match it. Still, not awful by any stretch.

Leestu Billy Bragg, "Brewing Up With Billy Bragg", 1984 -Really don't have a clue where to start with Billy Bragg, guess your picks are a good indication as to where to do so, but I've always enjoyed many of his songs featured either here or on the song countdown. Still here a very Jam sound, but that's a good thing, some great guitar work and his vocals always sound punchy and his lyrics interesting.

NSpan Old Crow Medicine Show, "Big Iron World", 2006 - I keep wanting to really like these guys, you're so enthusiastic towards them, but ultimately they just aren't hitting home for me. You say the genre has organically evolved into the kind of music these guys are creating, and maybe I'm just too much of a novice of the genre, but I'd much rather listen to someone like The Band than this, I mean, it's catchy enough I guess, but it just doesn't really do enough to draw me in.

numbersix The Rolling Stones, “Sticky Fingers”, 1971 - I recently watched the Stones concert dvd Scorcese directed for them and I hated it, put me off actually ever having a desire to see them live, but having done so I thought I at least owed myself the opportunity to hear the band at their best once again so listened to this alongside Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. Man, this is a decent record of theirs. While for me at least the record doesn't start off that strong, I just don't really like their over the top showmanship of the likes of Brown Sugar or especially Wild Horses, the second side of the record is fabulous, with "Bitch", "I Got The Blues" and especially "Sister Morphine" being some of their best work.

silversurfer The Kills, "Keep On Your Mean Side", 2003 - "Scotland's answer to The White Stripes"? Maybe I missed something, but where is the Scottish connection? I always presumed Mosshart was from NY while Hince was from London. And while I can see the obvious connection, I like to think there was more of a sexuality and dirtiness to The Kills than The White Stripes' innocence. And No Wow is a great follow up. More straight-forward rock, but definitely worth checking out.

transformers, Beastie Boys, "Licensed to Ill", 1986 - I gave into peer pressure and picked this up yesterday. Had one listen so far, and I'm impressed. Never owned a Beasties record before for some reason, but this seems like a great place to start an obsession...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.64

Geezer Sublime, "Sublime", 1996 - I'm obviously missing something with this band, as they do indeed seem to be very popular. I just don't like the mixing of styles, which usually I'm fine with, but for some reason it just jarrs with me. Obviously I'm in the minority here though, so I'll just have to suppose it's something that just doesn't work for me.

BleedBlackandGold Ramones, "End of the Century", 1980 - You can definitely hear the Spectre influence, and while at first I was a little turned off by this change in direction, it now seems quite fitting for the band. Not the essential Ramones for me, but certainly proof that they were a band willing to evolve and experiement with genres just as The Clash did. Fun record.

Leestu Mudhoney, "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge", 1984 - Another band I've been meaning to spend some time listening to for some time now. Adding this to my to check out list.

numbersix The National , “High Violet”, 2010 - While obviously I love Alligator, I was as immediately won over by Boxer, though it now has become a favourite. However, this was where the band really stepped it up to the big leagues. In time I suspect this could also become one of my absolute favourite records, it's almost faultless, with Bloodbuzz Ohio and Anyone's Ghost particular favourites.

transformers, Killswitch Engage, "Alive or Just Breathing", 2002 - Can't say I know much about this band other than a name, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Some great hooks and most of the vocals were both legible and listenable. Probably wouldn't seek out the album, but I definitely enjoyed the listen.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote: Leestu Billy Bragg, "Brewing Up With Billy Bragg", 1984 -Really don't have a clue where to start with Billy Bragg, guess your picks are a good indication as to where to do so, but I've always enjoyed many of his songs featured either here or on the song countdown. Still here a very Jam sound, but that's a good thing, some great guitar work and his vocals always sound punchy and his lyrics interesting.
I'm not anti compilations when they serve the purpose so instead of this album you may as well go for the compilation Back To Basics which is basically this album anyway plus the EP before it and the single after it. I imagine it's better value for money. I'm not so keen on his later stuff anyway.
As for Mudhoney (which todays album is 1991 by the way) don't start with this album (as good as it is) - get the Superfuzzbigmuff Plus Early Singles. It's not on my list because it is a rereleased EP plus singles to make the length of an album, not a proper album, but as an introduction to Mudhoney it is the best place to start with awesome songs (most of my favourites of theirs) that aren't available on any album.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Staind - 14 Shades of Grey - 5/10
A Global Threat - What the Fuck Will Change?? - 3/10
Billy Bragg - Brewing Up with Billy Bragg - 6/10
Old Crow Medicine Show - Big Iron World - 5/10
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - 5/10
The Kills - Keep on Your Mean Side - 6/10
Beastie Boys - License to Ill - 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Sublime - Sublime - 5/10
Ramones - End of the Century - 7/10
Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge - 5/10
The National - High Violet - 7/10
R.E.M. - Document - 9/10
Killswitch Engage - Alive of Just Breathing - 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
silversurfer The Kills, "Keep On Your Mean Side", 2003 - "Scotland's answer to The White Stripes"? Maybe I missed something, but where is the Scottish connection? I always presumed Mosshart was from NY while Hince was from London. And while I can see the obvious connection, I like to think there was more of a sexuality and dirtiness to The Kills than The White Stripes' innocence. And No Wow is a great follow up. More straight-forward rock, but definitely worth checking out.
My mistake, for some reason I thought they were based in Scotland. Anyway, while they're a little harsher than the White Stripes, they feel reliant on that band's success and never really felt distinct enough for me to care that much. There's a lot of stuff on Keep On Your Mean Side that's forgettable.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geez: It's always a nice surprise when one of your picks is not nu-metal or pop-punk. So bonus points for that. But I'm not into reggae or ska much, beyond how The Clash incorporated into their punk sound. Here, the songs don't really go anywhere, it's that same trademark rhythm over and over.

John L: A worthy experiment for a band whose sound was getting very repeitive. Baby I Love You is one of their best songs (and strangely absent from their Best of), and there's some great songs on here.

Leetsu: I can't say the first song blew me away, but the second was pretty good. Like proto-grunge.

SS: Well described, it's certainly a transitional album with some great pop songs and some interesting "alt" ones as well. It's been a long time since I returned to REM (I was big into their 90s era but lost interest in the middle of listening to Up), but I suspect their first two records would appeal to me more.

Tranny: The strained vocals put me off a bit, though I did find value in the various rhythms and styles (though it's really just tradition metal vs nu-metal), particularly in the second song.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Emitt Rhodes - Emitt Rhodes (1970)

side one
"With My Face on the Floor"
"Somebody Made for Me"
"She's Such a Beauty"
"Long Time No See"
"Lullabye"
"Fresh as a Daisy"

side two
"Live Till You Die"
"Promises I've Made"
"You Take the Dark out of the Night"
"You Should Be Ashamed"
"Ever Find Yourself Running"
"You Must Have"

Emitt Rhodes had already drawn favorable comparisons to Paul McCartney during his tenure with his former band, The Merry Go-Rounds, when he garnered attention with their 1967 single, "Live." After the dissolution of his band, Rhodes was given an advance from the record company to create a solo album. He spent it on modest recording equipment which he set up in his own home. Coincidentally, McCartney had begun working on his own solo debut--using a nearly identical approach to recording. Equipped with a 4-track recorder, Rhodes sings and performs every instrument heard on the record. Emitt Rhodes was released within weeks of McCartney in 1970. It sold modestly and earned favorable reviews from the critics. In fact, the same critics who had dismissed McCartney's debut as feeling "incomplete" or "half-baked," made note of the polished nature of Rhodes' songwriting. The sound itself was organic, and --much like McCartney--the album feels homemade. But the songs are self-contained and complete. McCartney was clearly having fun in his home studio (and that is reflected on the record); Rhodes had a bit more to prove--and that resulted in a generally more ambitious effort. Despite decent sales and strong reviews, the album (much like Rhodes' entire career) never emerged from the shadow of Paul McCartney. After failing to meet the record company's outlandish demand for a new LP every six months, he ultimately retired from recording in 1973. Fortunately, the albums remain intact and available. Most people familiar with the material agree that Rhodes' music has actually aged better than some of his counterpart's endeavors from the same era.

Note: Rhodes' music gained some new-found exposure when his minute-long, "Lullaby" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6OXr6Oabg), was prominently featured in The Royal Tenenbaums.

"Fresh as a Daisy" (this video is a bit quirky, as it says the song ends at 0:09, but--if you keep listening--it should continue to play in its entirety)

"Live 'til You Die"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv8tgxNLpA
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:But it wasn't a compilation, it was an alteration. Many albums in that day were released with "British" and "American" versions. I know Hendrix did it as well. Basically this is just the American version of With the Beatles, thus not the same as something such as the "early years set".
In order to create this collection, tracks were culled from multiple albums (Please Please Me and With the Beatles), songs that required royalties were omitted, and the record company jumped on the opportunity to compile hit singles (including a B-side). The band had no involvement in the final track-listing. The songs were chosen to maximize sales and reduce cost. Purely a business decision.

It's a compilation.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer Sublime, "Sublime", 1996
This provided the soundtrack to many high-school memories. There was a rift within my generation between those who embraced rap and hip-hop and those who preferred rock, metal, and/or punk. Sublime was the Great Equalizer. Between this album and 40 oz to Freedom, you could anticipate hearing at least one or two tracks from this band during the course of any big party. Incidentally, Kate and I found ourselves driving through Garden Grove today--which prompted us to play the album. We sang along with every word.

BleedBlackandGold Ramones, "End of the Century", 1980
While I maintain that a compilation is all I really need in my Ramones collection, I'm interested in listening to this from start to finish simply because of the crazy stories regarding the recording process. By some accounts, this album should be credited to Phil Spector rather than the Ramones themselves.

Leestu Mudhoney, "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge", 1991
Really solid stuff. For a while there, SubPop could simply do no wrong. I don't usually take note of record labels, but the SubPop logo was a stamp of approval that meant you were in for something good. Is it just me, or does "Pokin' Around" sound like the Replacements covering "Lost in the Supermarket" ??

numbersix The National , “High Violet”, 2010
I didn't feel too strongly about the first selection, but I dug the second song. I generally don't (actively) listen to lyrics until AFTER the melody has won me over... but your description (and the clarity of the vocals) had me focused more on the lyrics than the music. An odd way to approach a new song (for me, at least), but the lyrics are a strong-point in this case. I dug it.

silversurfer R.E.M, "Document", 1987
Your first selection was blocked (copyright stuff), but the second song was new to me. I liked it. This is the type of REM I prefer. Catchy melodies, thoughtful lyrics, and a bouncy vibe. When Michael Stipe starts taking himself too seriously, things go bad. I have major nostalgia for Automatic for the People due to owning a hand-me-down cassette copy as a kid. Aside from that, my collection is pretty hodge-podge (Murmur, Reckoning, Unplugged, Reveal, Accelerate, and the 20 Years Of compilation.). Judging from your description, it sounds like I'm missing out on something big by having skipped Document.

transformers, Killswitch Engage, "Alive or Just Breathing", 2002
As per usual, the death-metal vocals kept me from getting into it... Maybe one day I'll be able to see (listen?) past that. But, as it stands, I just don't get it.
Last edited by NSpan on October 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So be it, Spannaus. But I have already had one compilation on the list, will display live albums, and have been on record that the only things I'm blatantly omitting are Best of's and anthologies. To eliminate an album because is an alternate version of an album that was released two months prior, where the majority of the songs are the same, would be foolish when the album is better that way.

I think that should conclude this....

Anyway, great summarization of Sublime. They have always seemed like that bridge band that EVERYONE liked. Well, they were, until I came here and met Six. There's just no pleasing some people.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Sublime: the defining example of a band that a select few know all their songs by heart but the majority of people know for just one mediocre song (Santeria is a far better song than What I Got but guess which one shows up on the radio and Best of the 1990's compilations).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:So be it, Spannaus. But I have already had one compilation on the list, will display live albums, and have been on record that the only things I'm blatantly omitting are Best of's and anthologies. To eliminate an album because is an alternate version of an album that was released two months prior, where the majority of the songs are the same, would be foolish when the album is better that way.
I'm definitely not imposing my own little set of "rules" regarding what constitutes an eligible entry for the countdown. More than anything, I was just curious as to what brought you to the particular album in the first place. But you've answered that question. In terms of tracklisting, I actually lean toward With the Beatles simply because I consider their versions of "You Really Got a Hold on Me," "Money (That's What I Want)," and "Devil in Her Heart" to be essential songs, despite not being originals. That said, no tears would be shed by losing "Roll Over Beethoven."
Geezer wrote:Anyway, great summarization of Sublime. They have always seemed like that bridge band that EVERYONE liked. Well, they were, until I came here and met Six. There's just no pleasing some people.
There's always one..