Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by silversurfer19 »

by the way, BleedBlackNGold has sent me his entire thread 2 picks from 79-72, so they have all been added to their relavant posts. Glad to have you back in the fold!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (January, 1968)

Side One
1) Summertime Blues
2) Rock Me Baby
3) Doctor Please

Side Two
4) Out of Focus
5) Parchment Farm
6) Second Time Around

Vincebus Eruptum is touted by many to be the first heavy metal album ever released. While I personally consider Black Sabbath's two 1970 releases to have formally ushered in the genre, Blue Cheer's debut predates anything by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, or the Jeff Beck group. Prior to that, there were certainly a lot of people playing the blues EXTREMELY loud, including: the Who, the Yardbirds (which would later become Led Zeppelin and helped boost the careers of Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck), Jimi Hendrix, Vanilla Fudge, and the plethora of semi-obscure bands found on the Nuggets collections. Vincebus Eruptum bridges the gap between loud blues and the distinctly new breed of music that Sabbath would be rehearsing and playing live only a year later. I saw one of Blue Cheer's reunion concerts several years back... and my ears are STILL ringing. Their power-trio approach creates an atmosphere where the absolute most sound can be squeezed out of a truly minimalist approach. That in itself might be what made their sound unique and allowed for the evolution from blues to metal. That, and every dial in the studio while recording this album was turned to '11'

"Parchment Farm"

"Summertime Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXcYZsqkZ-g
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I picked up Vincebus Eruptum about a year or so ago following your recommendation. It is a freaking awesome record, and no doubt with a few more listens will probably make my own Top 100. I love Parchment Farm, such a brilliantly heavy track, The record is quite chaotic, a lot of it feels unrehearsed, but I do believe that's to the record's benefit. It makes it sound more inspired, like Satan was channeling himself through the instruments. Great stuff.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Oasis, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?". 1995
Loved this when it first came out--and I still think the melodies and hooks are brilliant.

englishozzy John Butler Trio, "Grand National", 2007
Don't own any of the albums, but he strikes me as a more authentic version of Jack Johnson (or G. Love)

Geezer Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles", 1999
Great album! These guys have far less to say lyrically than Zack de la Rocha would have you believe. But who cares? These guys rocked. They were also remarkably consistent throughout all of the 90s.

BleedBlackandGold Sum 41 ,"Does this look Infected", 2002
A bit too punk-lite for my tastes..

Leestu The Birthday Party, "Junkyard", 1982
"Big Jesus Trash Can" was very Beefheart-y. I'm going to give this album a full listen before long.

numbersix Boards of Canada, "Geogaddi", 2002
That settles it. I'm going to start listening to your picks separately from the rest. Specifically, Saturdays at 3am when I'm at my toastiest.

Ron Burgundy Crowded House, "Crowded House", 1991
I know these guys are popular with a lot of people, but I've never quite seen the appeal. To be fair, I've always had an aversion to mid-to-late 80s music (and evidently 1991 counts). I think it's just a matter of my age and automatically rejecting what was popular when I was a little kid... I'll have to visit a therapist to work out these issues, then I'll get back to you.

silversurfer Echo And The Bunnymen, "Ocean Rain", 1984
THREE song selections? You sick bastard.

transformers Judas Priest, "British Steel", 1980
Solid stuff.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:...like Satan was channeling himself through the instruments.
Well put.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.76

Alyson Grateful Dead, "Steal Your Face", 1976 - I picked up American Beauty after NSpan and I think yourself featured some Grateful Dead on the 100 song countdown. It was a decent listen but hasn't grabbed me to listen to it very often since. This caused a similar reaction, maybe I'll give it another go or two to see if it sticks.

englishozzy Ramones, "Ramones", 1977 - I was wondering who would pick this first, thought it may have been one of the Boston Brothers..., apparently not. I literally only picked this up a couple of months ago, been on my wish list for a long time as although I own their best of, which has some great songs, it was just too exhaaustive in one sitting. This record is a much better way to experience their sound, and it's a very good record too.

Geezer The Doors, "The Doors", 1967 - Ah, don't listen to six, I love "The End", a perfect record closer. I only own a compilation of this too, but many of those songs are included on here and I do like The Doors for the most part. Morrison's voice alone is worth the listen. Should probably get around to picking this up.

BleedBlackandGold Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles", 1999 - i don't think I own this, though I have heard Testify before. I own their debut, Evil Empire and Renegades though, and my overall feeling is that while they all have some great tracks, their debut is their most consistently good work.

Leestu Various Artists, "Music from the Motion Picture The Crow", 1994 - Yeah, as I think six was saying, it sounds like a rejected B side from The Cure. Didn't really grab me. I guess as an overall atmosphere, alongside the movie, it works much better though. Some great artists in the soundtrack though, even if they are their lesser songs.

NSpan Hot Tuna, "Burgers", 1972 - For some reason I've actually heard a few tracks from this. Don't know how that came about. But it's not much like Jefferson Airplane, from what I've heard, which is a good thing, it's it's own record. And it's quite eclectic from what I remember too, shifting between genres with ease. But I like it. Should probably stump up and pick the record up sometime.

numbersix Low, "I Could Live in Hope", 1994 - I knew some more Low was coming, and man, was it worth the wait. Lullaby was brilliant and I'll certainly be adding this to my must get list. Great intro too, didn't know of that 'punk-slowed-down' movement.

Ron Burgundy Digitalism, "Idealism", 2007 - Really didn't like this. I keep finding myself not getting much from your electronic picks, although I am partial to some electro, for some reason it just isn't clicking.

transformers Madvillian, "Madvilliany", 2004 - It's good to see the guy take a different slant on rap, but while it's mildly more listenable than most of the genre, I think it's just not something I get pleasure from listening to.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Albums that made my own top 100 list
Rage
Block Party
red Hot Chilli peppers

So obviously i love those records, well done to you three! 10/10!

Punk Albums
Green day, perhaps their best album? Not sure, but its bloody catchy
Ramones, pretty good, though not a big punk fan
Tiger Army, couldnt get past the first 15 secs, did not like it sorry.

Other
Alyson, John barleycorn, never heard of him, But i loved that flute section, nice new song to me.
SS - Teenage Fanclub. not nearly as good at Jangle pop as REM. Though ill have to say i didnt mind it, until i hear more
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Tenacious D, "Tenacious D". 2001
A very different breed from Weird Al-style parody. As you know, I have no problem mixing in some of the better Tenacious D tracks into a party playlist. Everybody who sees in value in this should buy/rent the original Mr. Show-spinoff HBO series.

englishozzy Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
Some of these tracks are simply TOO iconic for me to even listen to. (and Weird Al's "Eat It" doesn't help). Indisputably a solid album... though I prefer his 70s stuff.

Geezer Rise Against, "Revolutions Per Minute", 2003
I honestly didn't like the anthemic sound of the first selection. The second song didn't suffer from that. In fact, I didn't mind the second song at all. Though I don't think you're ever going to convert me on this one.

BleedBlackandGold Anti-Flag, "Die For the Government", 1996
Hey, punk rock that sounds vaguely like punk rock! Not bad. (Note to Geezer: preconceptions of what music "should" sound like isn't my problem with Rise Against or any other pop-punk act. It's just not a sound I'm into)

Leestu Spacemen 3, "Playing With Fire", 1989
On paper, this should be my favorite band in the world. And honestly? I'm finally coming around! Some of the more directionless stuff through me off early on..

numbersix Elliott Smith, "XO", 1998
I recently got my hands on an eight disc Elliot Smith rarities collection that is of a surprisingly high quality for a bootleg (you can find it here: http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.p ... -Edition!)). I also got grabbed the entire Heatmiser discography--which I already knew most of, but I've been especially digging on recently.

Ron Burgundy Tool, "Lateralus", 2006
One of the very few modern prog-rock bands that keep my attention. I don't find myself listening to these records much nowadays, but those first two or three albums were awesome.

silversurfer Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "BRMC", 2001
Great album. Not sure why these guys were such a crossover hit when so many of their peers were not... but they deserve the acclaim.

transformers Anthrax, "Among the Living", 1987
Probably my favorite LP of theirs. Good stuff!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Some good ret-conned picks from Aly, I see.

George Benson, Grateful Dead, and Chick Corea are all personal favorites.

That live Dead album is new to me, but I loved the featured song. Might have to pick it up. I just realized that 12 of the 16 Grateful Dead albums I own are from '75 or earlier. I guess I always (incorrectly) assume that the band stopped being worthwhile after that point. But I should give the late 70s stuff more of a chance.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:
numbersix Boards of Canada, "Geogaddi", 2002
That settles it. I'm going to start listening to your picks separately from the rest. Specifically, Saturdays at 3am when I'm at my toastiest.
That's funny, i was about to say the same thing about your songs! Guess we're just on opposite sides of the Baked Soundtrack Spectrum.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: that was really nice. Not what I was expecting from Traffic (always thought they were more proggy for some reason)

Ozzy: I don't think this is Greenday selling out (they were always populist, though surely Time of Your Life is a better example if you're going to make accusations), it's more a case of trying too hard to break from the mold. I appreciate what they're doing here, just none of it interests me.

Geez: I do agree that there are some under-rated songs here, such as Pinhead and Commando, though I have to confess those two songs made me realise that a lot of their songs sound too similar to distinguish.

John L: A lot of your previous guitar-pop picks left me cold, but at least this was a break from the mold due to the rockabilly influences.

Leetsu: Definitely their best work. A fun record. One of the first I ever listened to in its entirety.

NSpan: And continuing your taste for bad album titles.... I really dug these two songs. I remmeber Summertime Blues being in your Top 100 songs. It's my second favourite version (after Guitar Wolf's). And that first song rocked. This is the kind of stuff I hoped you'd introduce us to.

Ron B: Really didn't do much for me. Now sit in the corner with the Boston Bros.

SS: Never could get into these guys. They're almost too delicate, too polite. As if going above 3 on the volume knob was a sin.

Tranny: A pretty decent record.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Aly: that was really nice. Not what I was expecting from Traffic (always thought they were more proggy for some reason)
70s Traffic IS prog. But it's basically folk/blues-prog, so you don't see too many comparisons to Yes, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Traffic, "John Barleycorn Must Die". 1970
At least two Traffic albums were in contention for my list--with this one the front-runner. I'm not sure exactly why I ultimately omitted them, but Traffic remains one of my favorites. For the uninitiated, the band was comprised of EVERY OTHER creative force (apart from Clapton, Bruce, and Baker) from the Cream-offshoot bands such as Blind Faith (Steve Winwood, Rich Grech), Ginger Baker's Air-Force (Chris Wood). and Derek & the Dominos (Jim Gordon--who, by the way, gets full credit for that instrumental second-half of "Layla"*). Anyway, these were some of the most sought after musicians at the time. And, after Dave Mason (who rocks in his own right) left the band, a true group collaboration commenced and some brilliant music resulted. Six wasn't wrong in referring to Traffic as "prog," seeing as they released this mini-masterpiece on their very next album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRe42BDK_R4--ugh, sorry for the ad.

Geezer The Ramones, "Leave Home", 1977
Agreed that it's a good album. Also agreed that they were a "one-note" band. Or, at very least, a "three chord band." -- though that was self-admitted.

BleedBlackandGold Tiger Army, "Tiger Army II: Power of Moonlight", 2001
Disappointed! I heard the term 'psychobilly' and got excited. I don't know what this is (alt-rock/punk-lite with a touch of ska and a bit o' twang??). This is psychobilly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOCvL_yWM7M

Leestu Rage Against The Machine, "Rage Against The Machine", 1992
I mentioned earlier that these guys maintained quality throughout the 90s, though this might be their best.

numbersix Bloc Party, "Silent Alarm", 2005
I liked it................ but, I dunno, man... for all the shit we give Geezer about his selections sounding bland and generic.... these selections didn't exactly inspire me to focus on this particular band over the plethora of similarly-styled groups from the mid 00's

silversurfer Teenage Fanclub, "Grand Prix", 1995
Wow. If that first selection is truly representative of their sound, I'm in. The second selection didn't do quite the same for me...... but, nonetheless, tell me more.

transformers Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", 1991
I'm not sure if it's hip to "like" the Chili Peppers nowadays. That has changed so many times since I first discovered them in 1989 that I can't even keep track anymore. No matter what public opinion says, these guys cranked out solid music over the span of at least six or seven full LPs. That's impressive. THIS album (Blood Sugar Sex Magik) happens to be my personal favorite--by far. Great choice, mate!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Interestingly, the majority of those similarly-styled bands from the mid noughties did nothing for me (and indeed, Bloc Party's subsequent albums also fit snugly into that non-caring category). So either Silent Alarm was the first I paid attention to, or the best of the bunch.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Alyson Traffic, "John Barleycorn Must Die" 1970 - Haven't heard much Traffic at all but I really enjoyed this song, although I thought it was a murder ballad til I checked out the lyrics lol

englishozzy Greenday, "American Idiot" 2004 - It didn't make my list but I do think this is a great album. IMO this and Dookie are the only Greenday albums worth listening to.

Geezer The Ramones, "Leave Home" 1977 - A good Ramones album with some great songs

BleedBlackandGold Tiger Army, "Tiger Army II: Power of Moonlight", 2001 - Not bad. I quite liked it in fact.

numbersix Bloc Party, "Silent Alarm", 2005- I've got this album but haven't really fully explored it. Love Like Eating Glass though, and I think he's got a great voice.

Ron Burgundy The Living End, "The Living End" 1998 - A very good solid debut album...and one day when I'm drunk enough I would love to have at go at Prisoner of Society at Karaoke. It's a shame they deteriorated into mediocrity after this culminating in the awful White Noise.

silversurfer Teenage Fanclub, "Grand Prix", 1995 - Great to see an appearance by Teenage Fanclub. In the early 90's I listened to their first three albums a lot, and Bandwagonesque was on my initial list. Unfortunately that list had about 130 albums on it and in the ordering process it wasn't high enough to make it. Having said that I only listened to this album once and it didn't grab me like their others, but I do have it in my collection and maybe it just takes a few listens like you said. And of course I know Sparkys Dream and think it's a very good song.

transformers Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", 1991 - Another album that ended up in my 100 - 130 range. Great album and by far their best. I think I'm going to see them next year when they headline the Big Day Out festival here.

Nspan Blue Cheer - Man this rocked!!! Great stuff. I might have to try and get this....and talking about great stuff that rocked, that $400 bucks song was excellent. I thunk I am going to have to check out more of the Rev.

What a great day of music! I liked every song today. Maybe it's just the positive relaxed mood that a very recent holiday can leave you with. :)