Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by numbersix »

NSpan: Loved the Weezer songs. That album has been on my To Get list since the Top 100 songs countdown, so thanks for the reminder.

The Galactic stuff wasn't bad. At first it sounded like our dads trying to make music that sounds relevant (i.e. it's really just blues with some bells and whistles), but it definitely grew on me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.78

Alyson
George Benson, "The Other Side of Abbey Road"
, 1970

George Benson again - incredible Beatles covers

englishozzy
Sonic Youth, "Daydream Nation"
, 1988

Came across this album while sifting through my Dad's collection and again later in my college years and the both times I listened to the more I found myself intrigued with the band. Since then i have listened to this album countless times and still remains my favourite Sonic Youth album.

"Total Trash"

"Teen Age Riot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKMD8vI1MaM

Geezer
Weird Al Yankovic, "Running With Scissors"
, 1999

1.The Saga Begins – 5 stars
2.My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder – 3 stars
3.Pretty Fly for a Rabbi – 4 stars
4.The Weird Al Show Theme – 3 stars
5.Jerry Springer – 5 stars
6.Germs – 2 stars
7.Polka Power! - 4 stars
8.Your Horoscope For Today – 5 stars
9.It's All About the Pentiums – 3 stars
10.Truck Drivin' Song – 2 stars
11.Grapefruit Diet – 4 stars
12.Albuquerque – 5 stars

The soundtrack to my middle school life. I can't begin to explain to you how huge this album was among my group of friends. And it is still, to this day, hilarious to me.

"Your Horoscope for Today"

"The Saga Begins"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

BleedBlackandGold
Transplants, "Transplants"
, 2002

you mix a blend of hip hop and punk add travis barker and tim armstrong and you get a recipe for greatness.

"DJ DJ"

Leestu
PJ Harvey, "Dry",
, 1992

The debut album from PJ Harvey and none of her following albums ever grabbed and maintained my interest like this one. She exudes such raw sexuality. Apparently she never expected to make another album so put everything she had into this.

"Oh My Lover"

"Sheela Na Gig"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYVawlMUvw

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing…"
, 1996

I remember being handed a cassette of this from a schoolmate who was into dance music. He thought it was from a hot new DJ displaying the latest mixing skills in nightclub friendly fare. But DJ Shadow does something very different, piecing together whatever he can find from an absolutely massive record collection and making music that can be partly described as instrumental hip-hop (though the influence of electronic and funk should not go unmentioned). Shadow is in love with the beat, and his tracks almost always contain a number of brilliantly sutured drum samples to give each track a sense of identity. The other layers combine to create something that actually feels quite cinematic.

"Building Steam with a Grain of Salt"

"Midnight in a Perfect World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4bVdHFvh0

Ron Burgundy
Live, "Throwing Copper"
, 1994

"Lightning Crashes"

silversurfer
Bob Dylan, "Blonde On Blonde"
, 1966

I believe the first time I heard this classic record was at the age of 15 on a budget airline with nothing to do other then perhaps listen to some of their music collection or play cards. I've always been particularly bad a playing cards, 'snap' is my forte, so naturally I stuck with the music. I scrolled through the shoddy list of records from The Spice Girls, Hot Chocolate and Bananarama, when I came across this record. Knowing it was supposedly a classic album, I went with it. Now, perhaps not the best place to listen to a new record, but for some reason I was entranced by the record. There was definitely enough for me to revisit it when I returned home, so I strolled up to my local HMV record store and put it on the headphones. And I loved it even more. The opening two sides of what was originally a double album is a collection of some of the best pop songs I've ever heard, there isn't a dull note to be found between "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" and "Just Like a Woman", but to continue such excellence over the entire record is astounding. For me, it's Dylan's most poppy record, excemplified on the light and breezy, but at the same time absolutely beautiful "I Want You", and for the reason I never have any mood where this record will not be an enjoyable listen. Even on an airplane...

"I Want You"

"Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again"
http://vimeo.com/25499686

transformers
Revocation, "Chaos of Forms"
, 2011

Revocation is a relatively new band that has become one of my favorites over the couple of years. They play an interesting and perfect blend of technical death, thrash, and progressive metal. This album has it's fair share of twists and turns, but the most impressive thing about the album is the guitarwork from vocalist/guitarist David Davidson. He is the best guitar player that modern metal has to offer because he is not only incredibly skilled but draws from a wide variety of styles in his playing. This record shows why they are one of the most talented, refreshing, and just plain metal bands in recent memory.

"Chaos of Forms"

"Conjuring the Cataclysm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTTmGelBQY
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Just so you know, My real name is (from the first song off that album). Nice pick Aly.

Ive still got to listen to heaps of Bob Dylan, same goes for PJ Harvey.
Weird Al Yankovic was a nice inclusion, Polka Power had one epic music video. Linkin Park made my own list offcourse.

DJ Shadow is right up there, but i still havent listened to much of Nice Cave, and havent found the mood for it yet either, if you know what i mean

Hypnotize is ok, but not really near my top.

Would love to hear songs about fucking, almost just because of the title.

Bon Iver is pretty good, im a fan like many of Skinny Love

And as for Dire Straits, believe it or not, i think its fairly old and stale too, but my old man played this bands records over and over and over as i was growing up. Only when i started hearing the best songs from other sources did i realize how good Mark Knopfler is on the guitar, a self taught one at that too. And six, i implore you to explore Depeche Mode.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Raveonettes - Pretty in Black (2005)

1. "The Heavens"
2. "Seductress of Bums"
3. "Love in a Trashcan"
4. "Sleepwalking"
5. "Uncertain Times"
6. "My Boyfriend's Back"
7. "Here Comes Mary"
8. "Red Tan"
9. "Twilight"
10. "Somewhere in Texas"
11. "You Say You Lie"
12. "Ode to L.A."
13. "If I Was Young"

This Danish duo somehow successfully combined shoe-gazing psychedelics and 80s noise-rock with late 50s doo-wop. It's an odd mix to be sure, but it somehow works. Contemporaries such as The Warlocks, The Black Angels, The Dandy Warhols, and others have experimented with the same combination, but no one has really committed to it like the Raveonettes. This album sees them at the pinnacle of their studio ambitions. Other releases find them embracing a more minimalistic approach, but they're really having fun with this set of songs--and that is apparent on the final mix. I've seen them live, and the highlights of their show have been cuts off of Pretty in Black. They're clearly enthusiastic about the material, and that mindset elevates them from some of the drearier noise-rock acts they're often associated with. A guest appearance from the Velvet Underground's Maureen Tucker doesn't hurt either. It's hard to go wrong with any selection from this album... so if you like these, you want to follow up with "Ode to LA" and "Sleepwalking."

"Love in a Trashcan"

"Somewhere in Texas"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBj9Fk0jfI
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Dammit! I just finished responding to this round and accidentally closed my browser with no chance of recovering what I wrote... A quick recap/paraphrase:

englishozzy Sonic Youth, "Daydream Nation", 1988
These guys rock. I only wish I got into them sooner.

Geezer Weird Al Yankovic, "Running With Scissors", 1999
Funny and genuinely melodic... though I haven't listened to a Weird Al album from start to finish since I was a kid.

Leestu PJ Harvey, "Dry",, 1992
You guys generally have good taste in music... and--though I hadn't previously thought of this artist as someone to really dive into--I might need to explore a bit more at this point.

numbersix DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing…", 1996
Quick: I need to buy a DJ Shadow album this week. Is this the place to start?

Ron Burgundy Live, "Throwing Copper", 1994
Loved this when it came out. I've kind of lost my appreciation for it since. Their later material (starting with Secret Samadhi) was such a decline that it left a sour taste.

silversurfer Bob Dylan, "Blonde On Blonde", 1966
I'll ramble on this one much later in the countdown.

transformers Revocation, "Chaos of Forms", 2011
Once again, the vocals (including obligatory metal snarls and growls) were lost on me. But there's definitely some King Crimson / Rush stuff going on in the guitar-work. Points for that.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ozzy: This was a surprise. I've been a bit underwhelmed by a lot of your albums, but this is not only excellent, but stands apart from your norm. A brilliantly engaging record.

Geez: Again, I can enjoy the songs but comedy rock doesn't really demand repeating.

Leetsu: An excellent debut. Really raw. I think she's made better records (more on that soon), but I do love this one.

NSpan: Those songs were catchy, but I've never been able to get into these guys. I think it's because they never really felt more than the sum of their influences.
As for DJ Shadow, Endtroducing is certainly the best endtroduction (see what I did there?) to his music, though Private Press has some good stuff.

Ron: Never liked Live. I guess because I'm not hugely into grunge and these guys seem very much to be part of that sound. Thought they were Pearl Jam for a second.
Oh, and I will certainly be looking deeper into Depeche Mode's back catalogue.

SS: Yes, another embarrassment: I don't own this record. It's top of my list of Bob Dylan purchases, and those songs only made it more enticing.

Tranny: Some metal I can endure, and some of it feels like I'm being pummelled. I tried listening to your track, but it would be easier to fling a few insults and the dodgy guys sitting at the steps by my building. The pummelling would take less time as well ;)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan: I only know the Raveonettes from the song Dead Sound, which I love, but I never got around to checking out more of their stuff. Love In A Trashcan was very cool, so thanks for that.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I can only listen to certain songs thru my mobile but I just gotta say that I loved Somewhere In Texas. That was a fantastic song.
And Ozzy that's cool discovering Sonic Youth thru your father's collection. All I got from doing that was Johnny Cash and Johnny O'Keefe. The rest was just crap like Abba.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Wierd Al Yankovic - Running With Scissors - 3/10
PJ Harvey - Dry - 4/10
DJ Shadow - Entroducing - 6/10
Live - Throwing Copper - 8/10
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde - 9/10
Revocation - Chaos of Forms - 3/10
The Raveonettes - Pretty in Black - 10/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.77

Alyson
Chick Corea, "Return to Forever"
, 1972

englishozzy
Status Quo, "On the Level"
, 1975

Not the most talented band and their music doesn't make them stand out any better than most band's but i cant help but enjoy this album, I'm not going to highlight the most obvious single on the album (Down Down) and instead post my two favourite's.

"Nightride"

"Bye Bye Johnny"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4qZpe487k

Geezer
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Let's Face It"
, 1997

1.Noise Brigade – 4 stars
2.The Rascal King – 5 stars
3.Royal Oil – 4 stars
4.The Impression That I Get – 5 stars*
5.Let's Face It – 4 stars
6.That Bug Bit Me – 4 stars
7.Another Drinkin' Song – 3 stars
8.Numbered Days – 4 stars
9.Break So Easily – 3 stars
10.Nevermind Me – 4 stars
11.Desensitized – 2 stars
12.1-2-8 – 4 stars

Easily the best album from one of the best ska bands ever.

"The Rascal King"

"The Impression That I Get"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

BleedBlackandGold
Gaslight Anthem, "Sink or Swim"
, 2007

The debut from one of the best bands of the decade. great lyrics and their blues influence set them apart and launch GA to much success.

"Coulda Been A Contender"

Leestu
The Prodigy, "Fat of the Land"
, 1997

This is not normally a genre I listen to but I tend to like quality or the best of genres I usually don't like. For that reason I already had their first two albums and purchased this upon release to find it their best. If you haven't seen the unedited video to Smack My Bitch Up (not on youtube) check it out if you get the chance.

"Narayan"

"Funky Shit"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc07IVuw61o

NSpan

numbersix
Fugazi, "Repeater"
, 1990

Seeing Fugazi’s tour documentary Instrument in the cinema was a joyous occasion. It made me realise that this was a band who weren’t in it for the fame or fortune. They were a group totally dedicated to their music, as evidenced by their gig and records policy (they have to be priced modestly). But also these were a bunch of rocker that refused to succumb to alcohol or drugs. For them it’s all about the music. That is the catharsis, that is the drug. And that only helped me to define their music as pure.

This is their first album, and feels more like a super-group from the DC hardcore scene (for more, check out the 20 Year of Dischord comp that featured earlier in my Top 100), with four distinct sounds coming together on a record that bristles with energy and an unstoppable need to express.

"Shut the Door"

And for an utterly awesome live version check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHAnkJFOMs
"Repeater"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVCMLWtVN5E

Ron Burgundy
Neon Indian, "Era Extrana"
, 2011

"Heart: Release"

silversurfer
The Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds"
, 1966

I grew up hearing The Beach Boys on a monthly basis. When my dad would take me down to the local barbers so that I could get my short back and sides. Inevitably there was more often than not a wait of between 20-45 minutes before I could be seen to, and then on top of that the 15 minutes it took to cut my hair and then the further 30 minutes I had to wait before my dad and brother had their hair cut. So essentially I was sitting in that barber shop for a good 90 minutes. And throughout that time Iwe were subjected to the voice of Terry Wogan and BBC Radio 2. Now, though the 'uncool' station, in that it didn't play the young and hip stuff of Radio 1, I loved sitting and listening to the music being showcased. As while there was certainly a fair smattering of 'dad music', it also introduced me to a collection of musicians such as Dusty Springfield, The Kinks, Elvis Costello and, most importantly, The Beach Boys.

Now much of what was played was their bright and breezy surf anthems like "Surfin' USA", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "I Get Around", but it also persuaded me to look into their albums, and the first I picked up was "Pet Sounds". Now not that I don't love those surf records, they are a delight, but Pet Sounds showcased so much more of what they could do, most notably in terms of production. The way in which their beautiful harmonies were delivered with a sound influenced by The Beatles is fascinating to listen to, and still sounds fresh today. You find yourself trying to decifer all the elements of each song which, when brought togther, form a perfect pop song. And so I find myself, still to this day, drifting off in the summer sun or autumn rain listening to this magical record, recalling my nostalgic past with one of the most forward thinking records of our time.

"Sloop John B"

"I know There's An Answer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofn60wahLlU

transformers
Faith No More, "Angel Dust"
, 1992

"Midlife Crisis"

"Land of Sunshine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAoxiLQRd0
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

What happened to Aly and John L?

Anyway... Ozzy: From the sublime of Sonic Youth to the.... well. I'm afraid the label given to Status Quo as a weding band is quite befitting. That first song was awful, the second was better but just listen to Berry's original!

Geez: Can't disagree with you about being the best ska album ;) I'm not a fan of the genre, but this was pleasantly upbeat.

Leetsu: These guys were so huge when I was in school. I remember giving this a whirl and not liking it. A fresh listen today makes me pick up more now that I'm more into electro, but I can't say either track sustains its length. And I hated the Smack My Bitch Up video, which basically seems to be saying that women can be assholes too.

Ron B: Ahhhh, chillwave. It's all the rage at the moment and is most certainly a fad. But I can't help but enjoy the warmth of those swirling synths. The music is so deliberately overwhelming, even if the emotions aren't there. It exudes a certain feeling, a sense of euphoria and endless optimism (much like that last M83 album), and that's quite appealing. I don't think this fashionable genre engages with me like great music does, but it is damn stylish.

SS: A stunning record, deserved of all its acclaim. Have you picked up the Smile Sessions compilation (availble as 1-disc, 2-disc, or 4-disc boxset) yet?

Tranny: Another band I wasn't crazy about as a kid. Listening with bias at bay actually demonstrates some decent song-writing talent, not to mention a sense of drama in its production. Not bad.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Gram Rabbit - Miracles & Metaphors (2010)

"Time Of Our Lives"
"Candy Flip"
"Falling Debris"
"Hyena"
"Flowerhead"
"Off With Your Head"
"Wheels In Motion"
"Another Long Day"
"Destinies Align"
"They're Watching"
"Horses Can't Throw Up"
"I Rest My Case"

We discovered Gram Rabbit somewhat by accident shortly after moving to L.A.... I had noticed their name on the same bill as some of my favorite modern psychedelic-rock acts (Spindrift, Dead Meadow, along with a myriad of off-shoots of The Black Mountain Army and the Brian Jonestown Massacre). I downloaded the track, "Off With Your Head" out of curiosity. Technically, I got it to cap off a mixtape I was making for Kate. At the time, she was incessantly listening (and subjecting me) to the Glee mashup of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Heads Will Roll." Not that I especially hated her song (especially as far as Glee goes), but I had heard it about 1,000 times at this point. I figured that--with any luck--another song with a similar title and lyrics might eat into the number of times she'd play either per day. That, and who doesn't like some good ol' Lewis Carroll imagery? Anyway, we both liked the song--and it wasn't long before we saw them perform live. We were blown away by their performance, and we quickly gathered up everything they've ever released. Honestly, it's all solid. On any given day, the place on my list currently taken up by this album could be replaced with other Gram Rabbit albums such as 2004's Music to Start a Cult To or 2006's Cultivation. That former title is particularly apt for this psychedelic country-western/disco act. Their following in their native Joshua Tree is especially rabid. The fandom extends to Los Angeles... but they remain relatively unknown beyond that. My prediction is that they'll strike it big before long.

"Candy Flip"

"Off With You Head"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8eH_OwPQpY

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.76

Alyson
Grateful Dead, "Steal Your Face"
, 1976

Grateful Dead is probably most featured on my list, so just be prepared

englishozzy
Ramones, "Ramones"
, 1977

My friend is in love with this band, I mean posters on the wall, the only music played in her car and a tattoo on her back in love. This is their best album for me, before their catchy punk started getting a bit stale.

"Blitzkreig Bop"

"Judy Is a Punk"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLq6KaWaQYQ

Geezer
The Doors, "The Doors"
, 1967

1.Break On Through (To The Other Side) – 5 stars
2.Soul Kitchen – 4 stars
3.The Crystal Ship – 3 stars
4.Twentieth Century Fox – 4 stars
5.Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) – 4 stars
6.Light My Fire – 5 stars*
7.Back Door Man – 2 stars
8.I Looked At You – 3 stars
9.End of the Night – 2 stars
10.Take It As It Comes – 4 stars
11.The End – 5 stars

The debut album from The Doors remains their best work.

"Break On Through (To The Other Side)"

BleedBlackandGold
Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles"
, 1999

Rage are amazing ! they maintain a super political edge while being in the mainstream.

"Testify"

Leestu
Various Artists, "Music from the Motion Picture The Crow"
, 1994

Seriously this album maintains a constant tone, flows, and is full of kick ass songs from bands of the style I was listening to a lot at the time, and is still a great listen today. I even don't skip the Pantera song..surprisingly it's a good song too!

"Burn" (The Cure)

"Color Me Once" (Violent Femmes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxSn0m-VTs

NSpan

numbersix
Low, "I Could Live in Hope"
, 1994

Low are the quintessential post-rock act. Coming out of a movement that played slow version of punk and grunge songs as a joke (indeed Low have sometimes reworked their earlier material and sped it up to sound like The Misfits), someone somewhere found a nugget of importance: the significant of the note. Post-rock tends to play slow and elongate each note, fixating on the beauty of simplicity.

For example, Low are a 3-piece, though the bass is barely noticeable and the drum consist of only 3 parts. Yet their music is deeply powerful and moving, even if the initial impression is of a gentle sound. Quite the contrary, their debut record is full of pain and anguish, as evidenced in the epic Lullaby (best described as an acoustic The Cure during their Disintegration phase). Indeed, there’s something of the gothic in sinister songs like Lazy and Cut, though their harmonising vocals and more uplifting moments (such as their cover of Sunshine) help prevent it from glamorising their negative feelings.

"Lullaby"

"Down"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4zfJxGSl-w

Ron Burgundy
Digitalism, "Idealism"
, 2007

"Zdarlight"

silversurfer
Gang Of Four, "Entertainment"
, 1979

With their political lyrics and angular guitars, Gang Of Four were the definitive post-punk act, and with their mix of dance and funk, I was hooked from the instant I heard "Natural's Not In It". The themes of alienation, dehumanising consumerism and political manipulation running through the words merged perfectly with their insistent sonic assault, producing a fitting soundtrack to the times and one of the most accomplished debut albums ever. Highly influential, inspiring the likes of Fugazi, REM, The Rapture and Red Hot Chili Peppers among others, their sound has lived on despite being one of the lesser known acts of their time, and the fact that both their sound and themes are still highly relevant make this punching record all the more important.

"Damaged Goods"

"I Found That Essence Rare"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ibmNGpqU_Q

transformers
Madvillian, "Madvilliany"
, 2004

Rapper MF Doom is the definition of abstract hip-hop. His stuff will not click with everyone due to how downright strange it is, but if it does click, chances are you will love. His collaboration with producer Madlib is particularly memorable. Madlib's beats are diverse and just downright amazing and add so much to Doom's unique flow and strange yet endlessly clever and sharp lyrics. A modern hip-hop classic.

"Rhinestone Cowboy"

"ALL CAPS"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan: I could see how these guys might be a blast live, but those tunes didn't really do it for me.

Ozzy: My God, you're like the lovechild of Geez and Aly ;) Those two songs are awesome. This album is a must.

Geez: I mentioned it before, but I think The Doors got better as a band in every way. And The End is the definition of pretentious (the only thing that stops it from being totally reprehensible is its associations with Apocalypse Now).

Leetsu: 90s soundtracks for movies were often a den for b-sides and unreleased songs. For the most part they are collection of sub-standard tracks (like NIN's cover of Dead Souls). Those two songs were okay, but I guess it's a comp that's more than the sum of its parts?

Ron B: Nah, buddy, didn't do it for me. The music got repetitive, then something happened mid way but then lost my interest again. Too dancey for poor old me.

SS: A brilliant album. Welcome to my world. It's post-punk heaven.

Tranny: That was.... very cool. The muted vocals is really interesting. Makes it a bit more sinister and less arrogant. The first song was decent, but All Caps was brilliant. Might have to check this record out.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm beginning to wonder just how many cross-overs we are going to have, six. At hte moment I think it stands at 10 or 11, but I suspect there are many more to come.

By the way, I will get around to listenig to some of these songs, I'm a few days behind but there have been some excellent choices recently, and quite a number which have been on my radar and will look forward to hearing.