Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: I could see how these guys might be a blast live, but those tunes didn't really do it for me.
The live experience is as close to a real life Clash At Demonhead concert as I could imagine (perhaps even more so than a Metric show). But the plethora of concerts aren't the reason these guys made my "Favorite Albums" list: their lead guitarist is also a brilliant producer (responsible for just about everything recorded in Joshua Tree in the last decade... some of his credits include Spindrift, The Cult, Throwing Muses, The 88, Better Than Ezra, Kristen Hersh solo, and Galactic among others...).
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Hot Tuna - Burgers (1972)

Side One
1. "True Religion"
2. "Highway Song"
3. "99 Year Blues"
4. "Sea Child"

Side Two
1. "Keep On Truckin'"
2. "Water Song"
3. "Ode for Billy Dean"
4. "Let Us Get Together Right Down Here"
5. "Sunny Day Strut"

When Grace Slick was unavailable to play with Jefferson Airplane, the rest of the band simply weren't content to sit around and wait for her return. This--basically--provided the basis for the creation of Hot Tuna. Their style leaned more heavily toward country and folk--though anyone who has spent any significant time listening to the Airplane knows that the band were no strangers to such genres. As a kid, I originally discovered this album in my dad's record collection. I loved their laid-back approach and the way they made country/folk/blues sound like a deconstruction of rock music (which, in a historically backwards way, is a fair description). I also discovered Jefferson Airplane among my dad's records--though, at the time, I had no idea there was any connection. It wasn't until years later that I rediscovered Hot Tuna after really diving into the world of Jefferson Airplane. This album is technically their third, but it's their studio debut. It's very unpretentious and it sounds like they had a lot of fun recording it. The musicianship and songwriting are top-notch: these guys make originals sound like classics.

"True Religion"

"99 Year Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAnLEnb2tfU

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up a little:

Album No.78

englishozzy Sonic Youth, "Daydream Nation", 1988 I do love it when you find your parents are not quite so uncool as you first thought. I was brought up with my dad's record collection of The Who, though he also went through a Genesis, Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran phase, so he didn't come out of my rummaging unscathed. Finding Sonic Youth in this manner is awesome, I love the band and this record.

Geezer Weird Al Yankovic, "Running With Scissors", 1999 I don't know, I just don't really have many comedy albums which stick with me. For example, I got the Tenacious D record when it came out, and I played it non stop for a few months, but very soon afterwards I found I didn't listen to it all all, and I don't think I've listened to it in a good five years now. It just sits in my collection gathering dust, and I think that's how I find comedy records; good for a laugh, but once the laugh's been had, it quickly loses its sheen. There's only so many times you can listen to the same joke over and over.

Leestu PJ Harvey, "Dry",, 1992 - To be honest, this is probably the PJ Harvey record I've listened to least. I guess i just find that her later records did this, expanded on it and made it better. Still, some good songs on there, should give it another spin.

NSpan The Raveonettes, "Pretty in Black", 2005 - I only actually own a couple of Raveonettes records, Chain Gang Of Love and this year's release, Observator. I do like their music though, should definitely seek this record out as how they mix genres and keep it fresh and fun is awesome.

numbersix, DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing…", 1996 My knowledge of DJ Shadow is pretty limited. I have seen him live once though and he was very good, he was playing an intermissionl set during a Beck show I saw at Leeds Festival back in 2000. How he managed to keep a crowd of rock and metal fans entertained and bouncing for 30 minutes should be applauded, it was a hell of a show. Not so sure I maintained interest on record, but there are definitely some interesting things going on there and maybe I should look into his work further.

Ron Burgundy Live, "Throwing Copper", 1994 - Wasn't sure I knew who these guys were, until I heard the song. I never really liked this brand of rock, just felt a little pondering and stodgy.

transformers Revocation, "Chaos of Forms", 2011 Same old story, unfortunately, didn't quite go where I hoped it would. Not awful though, and some interesting riffs.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder just how many cross-overs we are going to have, six. At hte moment I think it stands at 10 or 11, but I suspect there are many more to come.
At my count it's only 7, but there are most certainly more to come

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Doors - The Doors - 5/10
Various Artists - Music from the Motion Picture The Crow - 7/10
Low - I Could Live in Hope - 7/10
Digitilism - Idealism - 3/10
Gang of Four - Entertainment - 6/10
Madvillian - Madvillainy - 3/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Aly is back up to date, guys. I'll try and post today's submission in the next few hours, and I'll also catch up with responses at some point too...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And NSpan has moved from the worst album covers to the worst album titles. Fortunately the music was pretty damn good.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Still waiting on records from Aly, Geezer,BleedBlackNBlue and NSpan. I'll be posting no.75 in a couple of hours so if anyone can get them to me by then it would be appreciated.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.75

Alyson
Electronic Light Orchestra, "ELO2"
. 1973

[Sorry Aly, my internet isn't allowing me to view videos so I'm not sure what you selected. I picked one song from the Album I do know though! If you could send me the name of each track you want included from now on I'll make sure I include the right one.]

"Roll Over Beethoven"

englishozzy
Franz Ferdinand, "Franz Ferdinand"
, 2003

Franz Ferdinand's explosive debut album consists of catchy hooks and awesome lyrics, unfortunately this band hasn't lived up to the reputation they garnered from this album.

"This Fire"

"Take Me Out"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA

Geezer
AFI, "Sing The Sorrow"
, 2003

1.Miseria Cantare – The Beginning – 3 stars
2.The Leaving Song Part 2 – 4 stars
3.Bleed Black – 5 stars
4.Silver and Cold - 4 stars
5.Dancing Through Sunday – 4 stars
6.Girls Not Grey – 5 stars
7.Death of Seasons – 3 stars
8.The Great Disappointment – 3 stars
9.Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings) – 4 stars
10.This Celluloid Dream – 5 stars
11.The Leaving Song – 4 stars
12.But Home Is Nowhere – 3 stars
13.This Time Imperfect (secret track) – 4 stars

I had a buddy in high school who was OBSESSED with this band. I mean he could wear a different AFI t-shirt for 2 weeks straight. I never got it, until this album came out, which I love obviously. I still never got into their earlier work and the stuff after this was merely ok, but this record is solid gold.

"This Celluloid Dream"

"Girls Not Grey"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-Q6kDjaBE

BleedBlackandGold
Sum 41, "All Killer No Filler"
, 2001

Sum 41 was one of my first punk rock loves I found this album at 11 years old

"Summer"

Leestu
Pixies, "Trompe Le Monde"
, 1991

Top 75 - now we are really getting into the albums that I have listened to so many times, and know every song so well, that I have probably lost the ability to discern the exceptional from the truly great.

"The Sad Punk"

"Space (I Believe In)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoBf9Vt ... ure=relmfu

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Fuck Buttons, "Tarot Sport"
, 2009

How surreal it was to see an obscure band called Fuck Buttons play during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics, but that’s exactly what happened when Danny Boyle picked them to play their song Olympians. Fuck Buttons are a duo who produces dreamy electro music. It’s too harsh and often too rhythmic to be labelled ambient, but they certainly lean towards that side of music, with their lengthy instrumental tunes. There’s a hint of Kraftwerk, Mogwai, and the kind of stuff you’d get on Warp Records (they’re actually on ATP Records, the label of the highly-recommended All Tomorrow’s Parties festival). For the most part, they’re very uplifting. I’ve never meditated, but I imagine this is what bliss sounds like.

"The Lisbon Maru"

"Surf Solar (edit)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFbE3lHTcuo

Ron Burgundy
Pnau, "Pnau"
, 2007

"Baby"

silversurfer
Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
, 2005

I first discovered Bright Eyes back in 2005 when I was in New York on holiday with Helena. I had heard the name before but knew nothing of his music. So when out sight-seeing one day I wandered into a Tower Records (this is my version of sight-seeing. Helena has gotten used to it and a day CD/DVD shopping is usually put into each holiday itinerary...) and picked up the new records by The Mars Volta, The White Stripes and this one. Without knowing what to expect I put it on my CD Walkman the next morning at what must have been some ungodly hour. I always wake up before Helena, usually round 6am, while she will have to be scraped from the bed by 10am. So naturally I had a bit of time to spend by myself. So when listening to it I found myself in awe of what Conor Oberst had crafted. It's a beautiful record, filled with acoustic bliss and alt-country vibes. I was amazed how each and every track had their own identity, from the rocking "Road To Joy" and "At The Bottom Of Everything" to the delicate and tender "Lua", and bluesy "Old Soul Song", yet all able to puncture your heart in a different way. I never get tired of listening to this record, it's a thing of beauty and honesty, one of the most stripped back and emotional records I own.

"Road To Joy"

"Lua"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSBs-hiapo4

transformers
Smashing Pumpkins, "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"
, 1995

There's not many double albums that work all the way through, but Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness defies the odds and does just that. This is the most diverse, emotional, immense, and just flat-out strongest of the Smashing Pumpkins work. Unforunately the quality of their music declined substantially after this album, but there really isn't a better way to go out than this album.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings"

"Zero"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1K-Hz2nKzk
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Breeders - Last Splash (1993)

1. "New Year"
2. "Cannonball"
3. "Invisible Man"
4. "No Aloha"
5. "Roi"
6. "Do You Love Me Now?"
7. "Flipside"
8. "I Just Wanna Get Along"
9. "Mad Lucas"
10. "Divine Hammer"
11. "S.O.S."
12. "Hag"
13. "Saints"
14. "Drivin' on 9""
15. "Le Roi (Reprise)"

When the Pixies finally called it quits, the split was far from a clean break. Despite that, I never felt pressure from the band or fellow fans to "pick a side." Frank Black and Kim Deal went in very different directions musically, and I don't think enjoying both really stepped on anyone's toes. Frank Black's solo discography is the result of a dedicated (and, I daresay, brilliant) songwriter who treats writing as an obligatory commitment. He's created some of my all-time favorite music (which I just might elaborate on later in the countdown). The Breeders, on the other hand, actually returned to their noise-rock roots of the 80s and released albums only sporadically. The Deal sisters are two badass chicks who really know how to rock--and they have a great talent for combining irresistible hooks with a layered wall of sound that keeps every instrument, voice, and effect prominent in the mix. Their live sets share this same unique sound. In fact, I believe The Breeders set out to recreate their live sound in the studio. And they consistently succeed--while maintaining a crisp and extremely listenable production that never sounds muddy or uneven. All of their early work is fantastic--and I highly recommend any current fans to seek out the plethora of amazing material that was only released on EPs, singles, and compilations. Between their first three LPs (1990's Pod, 1993's Last Splash, and 2002's Title TK), Last Splash stands out to me as their definitive album--though they are all great. Last Splash simply shows the full spectrum of their talents, and it is a truly consistent album from start to finish. Whether you're a Breeders fan, a Frank Black fan, or even a Martinis fan--I don't think anyone would judge you for rocking out to this album... loud and proud.

"S.O.S."

"Cannonball"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsId-qVIb4

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: The entire album is on Youtube so I dipped in and out of that instead. It's a little proggy, quite rambling. Not for me.

Ozzy: Yeah, I was big into this album when it came out. Their subsequent albums put me off them, but there's still some gems here. Jacqueline is a personal favourite.

Geezer: Nicely melodic in general, but not really memorable.

Leetsu: My least favourite of the Pixies records, but it still has some great moments.

NSPan: I'm more of a Pod man, but this is still a decent record. Makes me glad the Pixies broke up, as we got decent music from both sides.

Ron B: Sounds very much like another upbeat electro act who uses children's voices... it'll come to me.

SS: Never been able to love this guy, just like. But the lyrics are always strong.

Tranny: Interesting that you picked two singles to demonstrate the album. Is that for us or are they your favourite songs? You see, I don't think Mellon Collie sustains its quality. It could have been a great single album, but there's plenty of padding. I actually think Adore is the stronger album, though the high points here are much higher.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Hot Tuna - Burgers - 4/10
Electric Light Orchestra - ELO2 - 5/10
AFI - Sing the Sorrow - 8/10
Pixies - The Sad Punk - 7/10
Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport - 4/10
PNAU - PNAU - 6/10
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - 10/10
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinate Sadness - 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Six those are my favorite songs, they just happen to be singles.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Tranny: Interesting that you picked two singles to demonstrate the album. Is that for us or are they your favourite songs? You see, I don't think Mellon Collie sustains its quality. It could have been a great single album, but there's plenty of padding. I actually think Adore is the stronger album, though the high points here are much higher.
I like Adore, but that album signaled the beginning of the end (of the beginning) for the Smashing Pumpkins. After that, it was the Billy Corgan Show. I think Mellon Collie is a great album, and I disagree about it being inconsistent. Yes, the singles stand out (...but that's why they were chosen as singles, right?). And, sure, there's fluff. But it's pleasant and inoffensive. I would rather listen to the worst song on Mellon Collie than "Revolution #9." The only reasons the album didn't make my list is the abundance of theatrics (bordering on histrionics) and some of the over-the-top teenage-angst lyrics (written by a 28 year old).

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.74

Alyson
Oasis, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"
. 1995

"Champagne Supernova"

englishozzy
John Butler Trio, "Grand National"
, 2007

First heard these guys in the first week of settling down in Australia and instantly got hooked on the catchy lyrics. Grand National is on of his more rounded album's although April Uprising is not far behind.

"Used to Get High"

"Better Than"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79cG_F1GxfI

Geezer
Rage Against The Machine, "The Battle Of Los Angeles"
, 1999

1.Testify – 5 stars
2.Guerilla Radio – 5 stars
3.Calm Like a Bomb – 4 stars
4.Mic Check – 2 stars
5.Sleep Now In The Fire – 5 stars
6.Born Of A Broken Man – 4 stars
7.Born As Ghosts – 2 stars
8.Maria – 3 stars
9.Voice of the Voiceless – 3 stars
10.New Millennium Homes – 4 stars
11.Ashes In The Fall – 3 stars
12.War Within a Breath – 4 stars

I have always found Rage to be a very top-heavy band, best enjoyed in a "greatest hits" format. However, this, their last and greatest album, stands above the rest on its own. The highs and the lows are higher than their other works. They had a defined style that was unlike anyone else, and I love it. Hey look folks, my first "Against" band! And I'm at 74!

"Sleep Now In The Fire"

"Testify"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_zyb-XXWz0

BleedBlackandGold
Sum 41 ,"Does this look Infected"
, 2002

This album took over my life at 12

"The Hell Song"

Leestu
The Birthday Party, "Junkyard"
, 1982

Possibly their least accessible album, but easily their best, and worth the time and effort.

"Dead Joe"

"Big Jesus Trash Can"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYoKqfo5jck

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Boards of Canada, "Geogaddi"
, 2002

So far in my musical journeys I’ve noticed that it’s rare to have a perfectly cohesive and consistent electronic album. The tendency to explore ambiance can make for a great feeling but not necessarily an actively memorable one. This is one of the best examples of a great electronic record. Boards of Canada take synth music and add layers of samples, often from their own past or from the media, in order to inject a sense of nostalgia. But unlike the modern chillwave movement, it’s not so much to glorify the past, but to revisit the lows as well as the highs of our murky and oft forgotten past. There’s a lot going on in these songs, if you just aim to go crack through the chilled surface.

"The Beach at Redpoint"

"Dawn Chorus"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVfRWv7igg

Ron Burgundy
Crowded House, "Crowded House"
, 1991

"Something So Strong"

silversurfer
Echo And The Bunnymen, "Ocean Rain"
, 1984

Echo And The Bunnymen have long been a very large part of my musical life. As a fellow group of Liverpudlians, as well as hearing them all the time on local radion, they would constantly play my local venues, so it was very easy to see them (and they are a damn fine live act). So while I missed their prime due to the issue of being born too late, I discovered the band in it's second phase which allowed me to discover the musical joys they can bring. Demonstrating an ability to combine the gothic fantasy of The Cure with Television and R.E.M, Ocean Rain continues the excellent tradition of The Bunnymen's four superb records of the 80s which began with Crocodiles and culminated in this. I really had trouble picking which songs to showcase, the band demonstrate their abilities to create the perfect pop song in so many brilliant tracks, from the devastatingly beautiful "The Killing Moon" (which ranked high in my top 100 songs) to the other singles "Silver", "Seven Seas", or the gothic theatre of "Nocturnal Me", the rollicking "My Kingdom" and "Crystal Days" or the grandeose closer "Ocean Rain". This single record is like a 'best of' in itself, it's just jam full of catchy, melodic masterpieces.

"Crystal Days"

"Ocean Rain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naw4TQgl_Zs
ah sod it, here's a third!
"My Kingdom"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ETpGmEi7U

transformers
Judas Priest, "British Steel"
, 1980

Classic, traditional heavy metal doesn't get much better than this. This record is full of great riffs, hooks, solos, and the mind-blowing vocal range of Rob Halford. Many consider Screaming for Vengance or Painkiller to be better, but British Steel will be always be my favorite Judas Priest record.

"Breaking the Law"

"Rapid Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXUutpELRA
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.