Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by silversurfer19 »

New thread. Running very low on albums, guys and girl. Get them to me asap, please.

Album No.80

Alyson
Les Miserables Original London Cast, "Les Miserables"
, 1985

I allowed myself ONE musical play to get on my list. This actually isn't my favorite musical (which would be Wicked or Spamalot), but its my favorite music.... if that makes any sense. I always get hot eyes if I listen to the full thing.

Couldn't find a clip from the cast, so I just picked a song.

"One Day More"

englishozzy
Kooks, "Inside In, Inside Out"
, 2006

One of the greatest debut albums I have heard in the past few years, it was a close race between this and Konk.

"Naive"

"Seaside"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7bix9siUc

Geezer
Trapt, "Trapt"
, 2002

1.Headstrong – 4 stars
2.Made of Glass – 4 stars
3.Hollowman – 4 stars
4.These Walls – 4 stars
5.Still Frame – 4 stars
6.Echo – 5 stars
7.The Game – 3 stars
8.When All Is Said and Done – 4 stars
9.Enigma – 3 stars
10.Stories – 5 stars
11.New Beginning – 4 stars

I'll even admit that this band would never be called new or original or even overtly talented. But I love this album. Many of the songs are similar in sound, and I got their second album, probably listened to it 3 times and gave up on it. Sometimes a band just catches lightning in a bottle at the right time, and that was Trapt in 2002, bringing tons of high school nostalgia for me.

"Stories"

"Echo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhp5aCBR_as

BleedBlackandGold
Iggy and the Stooges, "Raw Power"
, 1973

Give it up to the true king of rock and roll and his gang punk rock would have never existed without these guys

"Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell"

Leestu
Portishead, “Dummy”
, 1994

Such dark beauty in the pain and anguish. I really could have chosen any two songs from this album.

"Sour Times"

"Roads"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYsGWh_vpE

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Animal Collective, "Merriweather Post Pavillon"
, 2010

Animal Collective’s 8th album proved to be a huge breakout. Difficult to pigeonhole throughout their career (rock critics have tried terms like neo-psychedelia, weird folk, noise pop, etc), this album is perhaps their most accessible, thanks to the increased focus on melody that co-singer Noah Lennox practices in his solo act Panda Bear. There’s a leaning more towards electro and ambient music and away from guitars and whatever insane devices they seem to concoct, and the scratchy voice of David Portner (who records solo as Avary Tare) is left in the background.

The general concept behind the record not only gives it a cohesive shape, but also presents ideas rarely explored in popular music. The album is about the pleasure of life’s simplicity, the wonder in long-term romance, and the joy in the domestic. As the mantra of flagship single My Girls professes “I just want four walls and adobe slats for my girls”, his girls being his wife and daughter, not awe-struck and pants-less groupies. These very relatable moments work well with the largely electronic pop sounds (if I were a lazy music journalist I’d say: think The Beach Boys taking ecstasy!) to ensure the warmth of humanity radiates throughout.

"In the Flowers"

"Bluish"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZlXwPb_JPM

Ron Burgundy
Dire Straits, "Dire Straits"
, 1978

"Sultans Of Swing"

silversurfer
Mission Of Burma, "vs"
, 1982

This was one of those records that seemed to sit on my Amazon wishlist for an age, it was probably about 6 years it sat there before I eventually got around to getting it in the early 2000s. I knew very little of the band, or the record, other than it was one of the most influential american post-punk albums ever, though at the time it was the band's sole release. When I first sat down to listen to it I remember being completely overwhelmed, the record is a vitriolic assault of the senses, with Clint Conley's melodic basslines clashing violently with Roger Miller's angular guitar strokes, though somehow the two individual styles mesh togther so well. The record ferociously powers along like a steam train at such a high velocity, taking only moments to breathe on the likes of "Dead Pool". It's a truly relentless record, one which may not be instantly attractive, but it's a record which has burrowed in my brain over the last decade and now I can't imagine my life without it.

"New Nails"

"Dead Pool"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPSuhgFmAIA

transformers
Protest the Hero, "Scurrilous"
, 2011

Canadian prog metal act Protest the Hero had already made two great albums prior to Scurrilous that cemented them as a force to be reckoned with in the metal community. Scurrilous lifted them even higher in the ranks. The biggest difference was the lyrical shift from talking about various forms of mythology to personal lyrics about alcoholism, the corruption of the music industry, dealing with a close friend's battle with terminal cancer, and even a tongue-in check take on celebrity sex tapes. I am not a person that normally cares about lyrics in metal, but the lyrics on this record blew my mind with how honest and powerful they were. On top of the lyrics, the music is brilliantly written, vocalist Rody Walker has an incredible range as a vocalist, and the songs are all catchy and chaotic as hell. Protest the Hero's masterpiece to date and I don't think they have even their peak as a band.

"C'est La Vie"

"Tapestry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iD9vLW94ls

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by englishozzy »

Les Miserables Original London Cast - Les Miserables 6/10
Trapt - Trapt 8/10
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power 7/10
Portishead - Dummy 6/10
Animal Collective - Merryweather Post Pavilion 5/10
Dire Straights - Dire Straights 8/10
Mission of Burma - vs 4/10
Protest the Hero - Scurrilous 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Les Miserables Original London Cast, "Les Miserables", 1985 - Sorry, this is just everything I hate about musicals. All that rousing music just turns my stomach, reminds me of being forced to go see plays with my parents when I was a kid and spent most of it making shadow puppets.\.

englishozzy Kooks, "Inside In, Inside Out", 2006 - Again, sorry buddy. But man, if there was an act you could have chosen for your list that I would have hated more than James Blunt. Well, you guessed it. Man I hate these guys with all my vitriolic anger I can muster. They were a horrid little band who seemed to be in it just for the girls. Good for them, but man they agitated the heck out of me. Probably because I could never get those girls. But still, I hate them. Man, I'm a miserable old git today...

Geezer Trapt, "Trapt", 2002 - Hmm, not awful, nothing which particularly inspires me either though. Maybe it was indeed one of those right place right time things. Second song was mildly more interesting than the first.

BleedBlackandGold Iggy and the Stooges, "Raw Power", 1973 - Freaking awesome. Love this record. Inventors of punk indeed. Love it. So much attitude and aggression, just stemming from Iggy. Such a presence. More on this much later...

Leestu Portishead, “Dummy”, 1994 - A contender for my own list. As you say, a very atmospheric record which truly works when listened to as one piece.

numbersix Animal Collective, "Merriweather Post Pavillon", 2010 - probably, along with Strawberry Jam their most accessible record as you say, but also completely different from what I had heard of theirs before. I got this and Veckatimest around the sime time and while I have probably listened to that record a little more, this is still an outstanding pop record. Didn't know the background behind the record, makes it all the more appealing.

Ron Burgundy Dire Straits, "Dire Straits", 1978 - Dunno, these guys have always seemed like the old grumpy guys of rock to me. Don't know why, and I'm not a fan of this song. Reminds of The Eagles, another band I really don't like. Maybe if I heard something else of theirs I could be swayed a little, as I've heard this song so many times I just have a bad taste in my mouth every time I hear it.

transformers Protest the Hero, "Scurrilous", 2011 - Really enjoyed this, I love hearing a band I've never heard of before and finding something exciting about it. Reminds me quite a bit of Mars Volta, a band I love. Will be looking into more of this record.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

By the way, I only have four picks from the next batch, so if some more could please be sent pretty soon it would be appreciated. Don't want to delay any more than we have to.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Not a fan of musicals, especially the "classical" ones like this. I always felt the bombast of the orchestration clouded the emotions, especially the more intimate ones. And I just don't like the excessive nature of the music itself.

Ozzy: Another indie pop act that never really registers with me.

Geez: It didn't hurt my ears, so that's something ;) Actually not bad, but again, not very memorable.

John L: A record that took me a long time to get into. I preferred the more lo-fi approach of their first two records, but ultimately I've come to accept the brillance of this. Search and Destroy is one of Iggy's best songs, and there's actually some variety in the album. 2 years ago I got to see Iggy perform this entire record live (as well as some other songs he recorded around that time, including the awesome I Got A Right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMeZSxNWV8), and it was a blast.

Leetsu: I always respected Portishead for their atmospheric sound, but it never really grabbed me in the same way Tricky and Massive Attack did. I actually prefer their more recent approach, which is much heavier and darker. Still, those songs were decent.

Ron B: Dire Straits has always reminded me of growing old. And stale. The next step in that direction is Status Quo.

SS: Do you know, I'm embarassed to say I don't have this album. I've a few songs downloaded. I really must get it. Those two songs were awesome, and Trem 2 was in my Top 100 songs!

Tranny: You lost me at the word "prog", but the song actually wasn't that bad. Couldn't listen to the other one, it's blocked for me. I did find an amusing 8-bit cover of it, though.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Weezer
- Weezer (1994)

1. "My Name Is Jonas"
2. "No One Else"
3. "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here"
4. "Buddy Holly"
5. "Undone (The Sweater Song)"
6. "Surf Wax America"
7. "Say It Ain't So"
8. "In the Garage"
9. "Holiday"
10. "Only in Dreams"

1994 was a good year for music. I admit, many entries on my list are fueled by nostalgia... and 12 years old was a pretty impressionable age. It's honestly a bit weird to think that--at 30--I still enjoy a lot of the same stuff I enjoyed as a kid. But when I re-listen to the music (with a feeble attempt at listening "objectively"), it still sounds great to my ears. Not ALL of it, of course. But a surprising amount of those old records still stand up. Weezer's debut is certainly one of them. Rock was taking itself pretty seriously at the time, and "the blue album" was a refreshing take on the genre. With only 10 tracks--nearly all of which followed the 3-minute pop song formula--the album clocked in at a paltry 39 minutes. But the melodies were tremendously solid and the lyrics were playful, engaging, and even thoughtful (at times). Part Pixies, part Beach Boys; the blue album managed to sound modern while fully applying all of the principles of 1960s pop in its approach. The band would be short-lived, as they skyrocketed to fame almost immediately and the backlash was brutal. After an aborted attempt at creating a sci-fi themed space opera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Black_Hole), Weezer would ultimately release only one final record: an autobiographical concept album about the pressures and pitfalls of being famous, titled Pinkerton. It was a sad (but touching) way for the band to say "goodbye." Weezer then disappeared into obscurity and never released another album.

"Say It Ain't So"

"No One Else"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbsMnzPl4r4
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Les Miserables Original London Cast, "Les Miserables", 1985
I've never seen this performed live, but it's based on a great story and I always thought the music was well done. I don't know if this clip is the best example, but there are some good moments nonetheless. I can only assume you're excited for the upcoming big-budget film adaptation?

englishozzy Kooks, "Inside In, Inside Out", 2006
I can't really make a judgement based on just the one track (and the second song was live and had too much crowd involvement for me to get into without knowing the original music)... but there could be some potential there.

Geezer Trapt, "Trapt", 2002
Great instrumentation... though the vocals kinda brought it back down into the "blah" zone for me.

BleedBlackandGold Iggy and the Stooges, "Raw Power", 1973
Awesome album. Their first two records were major contenders for my own list. Good song selection. "Search and Destroy" and the title track are also classics of the genre.

Leestu Portishead, “Dummy”, 1994
I've been meaning to give these guys a chance for a looooooong time. Really dug that first track. Sounded like a mix between Lovage and Radiohead. The second track didn't engage me quite as much, but it's probably time I finally listened to this album from start to finish. Edit: I listened to Lalo Schifrin's "The Danube Incident" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkVGfVXPy18) -- and, boy, that's some great music.

numbersix Animal Collective, "Merriweather Post Pavillon", 2010
I preferred the melody to the ambiance, but when it worked... it really worked. That first track was very cool. The second sounded a bit like The Polyphonic Spree (which I've always wanted to like more than I actually do). Animal Collective has been recommended to me by several friends and acquaintances. I might have to explore a bit more.

Ron Burgundy Dire Straits, "Dire Straits", 1978
This is a great song, but these guys always rubbed me the wrong way. Funny to see SS and Six have a similar response. I think the band simply hit the scene too late.
If they got started earlier, I think their sound could've been closer to Levon Helm's rather than Don Henley's.

silversurfer Mission Of Burma, "vs", 1982
This band has caught my attention on numerous occasions. Quite a spectrum of sound between the two songs you featured. Intriguing. I'm actually a bit surprised none of this is a part of my collection already..

transformers Protest the Hero, "Scurrilous", 2011
Surfer's comparison to Mars Volta was spot on. I would've described it as a mix between At the Drive-In and Iron Maiden. I really dug it, man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Geezer sure loves bands that can't spell.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.79

Alyson
Blues Traveler, "Live From The Fall",

another blues traveler - the last. but I love me some john popper

englishozzy
Bon Iver, "Bon Iver"
, 2011

This is going to really cement NSpan's theory of me being a mellow guy, but I really enjoy Vernon's harrowing vocals in this album and it was a brilliant follow up to For Emma, Forever Ago.

"Holocene"

"Wash"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfL7rVA ... ure=relmfu

Geezer
Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory"
, 2000

1.Papercut – 5 stars
2.One Step Closer – 5 stars
3.With You – 4 stars
4.Points of Authority – 4 stars
5.Crawling – 4 stars
6.Runaway – 5 stars
7.By Myself – 2 stars
8.In The End – 5 stars*
9.Place For My Head – 4 stars
10.Forgotten – 4 stars
11.Cure For The Itch – 2 stars
12.Pushing Me Away – 4 stars

The better of the two exceptional Linkin Park albums. Their debut, the album that launched them.

"Runaway"

"Papercut"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjVkXlxsO8Q

BleedBlackandGold
Flogging Molly, "Drunken Lullabies"
, 2002

Flogging molly is one of the greatest celtic punk bands ever, their music makes you just wanna drink and sing along

Leestu
Big Black, “Songs About Fucking”
, 1987

A brutal album from legendary producer Steve Albini's band. Their final album and what a way to go out. Oh and one of my favourite honest album titles.

"Bad Penny"

"Colombian Necktie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzKD070cy8

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Let Love In"
, 1994

I had really only known Nick Cave as the guy who sang that dark ballad with Kylie Minogue, but fortunately MTV (before they just became a Reality TV channel) introduced me to the more raucous sound of this antipodean act. Loverman sounded like lustful chaos, with Nick Cave turning a rather innocuous term into something deeply disturbing. This was the first album of his I got ahold of, and it’s a great balance of his trashy 80s and brooding modern style. Sometimes this comes together in a single song, such as opener Do You Love Me, with Nick’s wonderfully evocative lyrics and piano riff playing off the groovy, swaggering bass line. Later Red Right Hand does the same but with added dramatics (no wonder it’s featured in numerous films and TV shows). At other times a more luscious layer is added, such as the tragic Ain’t Gonna Rain Anymore (with the wonderful line “and I’ll watch her forever through the cracks in the beams, nailed across the doorways of the bedrooms of my dreams”) and the painfully lonely Do You Love Me, Part 2.

"Loverman"

"Ain’t Gonna Rain Anymore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldw-45SClg

Ron Burgundy
Depeche Mode, "Violator"
, 1990

"Personal Jesus"

silversurfer
Liars, "Drums Not Dead"
, 2006

Geezer's gonna love this...
I remember back in the mid '00s I heard about a band called Liars who supposedly had this very good art-rock record called "They Through Us All In A Trench And Threw A Monument On Top". First of all, awesome title. Secondly, I wanted to hear it. I asked my parents for it for my birthday and naturally they couldn't find it in their local record store so instead got me this. Well, to say it was not what I was expecting would be an understatement. I wasn't sure if I should have thanked my parents after first listening to it. I mean, this was SO far outside my comfort zone in regards to music. It's tribal beats and double drums pounded away at my skull. But for some reason I kept listening to it. I thought maybe it was some sort of brainwashing. And maybe it was. But I loved it. Taking on a huge dose of "Sister" era Sonic Youth and adding a dash of post "Kid A" Radiohead and even a little Animal Collective, Liars had morphed their initial rock sound into something much, much more. This was music to stir you. It was infective, abrasive, atmospheric. Oscillating between more sensual, etheral landscapes and harsh, African inspired drums, the record is like a battle between two sides, although one which comes together seamlessly, and conceptually it is too, between two characters, Mt. Heart Attack and Drum. I'm not sure I get the whole concept idea, but musically it's inspiring. Not the sort of music I listen to a lot, but man, I can't stop listening to this record. Still haven't gotten around to getting "..Trench", mind... Next on the shopping list.

"The Other Side Of Mt. Heart Attack"

"Let's Not Wrestle Mt. Heart Attack"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCzP7wN7y_0

transformers
System of a Down, "Hypnotize"
, 2005

The Reel Society's favorite band is back again! This album is criminally underrated and I think it's their best besides one of their earlier records (more on that later).

"Stealing Society"

"U-Fig"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMaIl_tcvnU
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:Geezer sure loves bands that can't spell.
Probably because someone could name their band Dog Shit and if they sounded good, I'd be all like "Man, Dog Shit is fucking great."
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Interesting picks today....

Ozzy: Not a bad album. I don't think it's particularly consistent so I wouldn't put it in my Top 100, but the two songs you picked are particularly strong. Holocene is an especially strong song. If you haven't heard it yet, you should check out a song of his called Woods. It's really intense.

Geez: The first song actually sounded okay, and left me wondering why I hate these guys so much. And then I listened to the second song, with that hilariously embarrassing guy trying to rap/sing.

Leets: Another band I've ben meaning to get into, as I'm a fan of Albini's current act Shellac. This was pretty cool. Love the guitar sound, it's like he's playing it with an angle-grinder. I'll have to check out more.

Ron B: This is when the band were getting into the swing of things (musically, as well as drug addiction). A great song and, from what I've heard, a great album.

SS: This comes as a huge shock. Never thought I'd see this in anyone's Top 100. But kudos. I do like this album, but I don't think I'd ever consider it to be great. I think it's because I've never realy needed to revisit it. At best I think it's an interesting mood-piece. Indeed, I consider it to be a soundtrack for an arty horror movie (I'm working on such a film at the moment, and I told the writer/director to listen to this very record for inspiration). Some really interesting pieces, especially the more anxious, louder stuff. If you ever get a chnace to see them live, take it, as they're amazing. Oh, and did you get their new album? Very different sound, but it could be their best record yet.

Tranny: You know, I'm still convinced these guys are a comedy act, parodying rock as they know best.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Hard to post with shitty wificonnection on holiday but Nspan : cover of Kraftwerk'sThe Model on this album. Love Let Love In by the way. 4th best Cave album.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

englishozzy Bon Iver, "Bon Iver", 2011 I think I need to give this record more of a listen. I do indeed like Holocene, but for the moment this was one of those records which you listen to once and I didn't find myself returning to. I much preferred "For Emma...". Will certainly give it another listen though as he has a beautifully delicate voice.

Geezer Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory", 2000 That was certainly some of the band's better material, from what I have heard. I had my foot tapping to say the least. Probably still not a record I would find myself purchasing, but despite the negative connotations placed against the band, I don't hate them and would certainly listen to a record all the way through.

Leestu Big Black, “Songs About Fucking”, 1987 I'm sure, like most on here, I know Albini for his producing, but had always meant to listen to some of his own music. Really enjoyed this, going onto my Amazon list.

numbersix Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Let Love In", 1994 I've said previously I'm not really a fan of Nick Cave's Bad Seeds work. But maybe I've been listening to the wrong records. I really enjoyed this. I think I'm generally turned off by the overly dramatic accent's he sometimes applies to his songs, but when that seems to be muted a little, as on Loverman, then I really enjoy it. Good stuff.

Ron Burgundy Depeche Mode, "Violator", 1990 I knew of Depeche Mode for quite a while when I was growing up, but it was only in the last few years I started purchasing their records. This is a brilliant album. More to come...

silversurfer Liars, "Drums Not Dead", 2006 Sometimes a record just clicks with me, six. Is it possibly one of the very greatest records ever made, critically speaking. Possibly not, but for me it just places me into a mood with its atmosphere and it's hypnotic. If a record can do that for me, then it's doing a lot right. And I love the balance between the softer more expansive stuff and the hard edged rackets, it just works for me. And yes, I have WIXIW, not listened to it very often at the moment, but true, while it still maintains and perhaps expands on what they did with Drum's, it definitely goes in its own direction, further into electronica. But ui like it. Nothing suggesting it will usurp Drum's but definitely interesting.

transformers System of a Down, "Hypnotize", 2005 - Definitely better than the Mesmerize stuff I have heard, but doesn't touch the Toxicity record, as far as I can tell. Not bad though.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Galactic
- Ruckus (2003)

"Bittersweet"
"Bongo Joe"
"The Moil"
"Paint"
"Never Called You Crazy"
"Gypsy Fade"
"Mercamon"
"Uptown Odyssey"
"Kid Kenner"
"The Beast"
"Tenderness"
"All Behind You Now"
"Doomed"

To make things a bit easier for myself, I decided to omit jazz from my countdown... though crossover fusion acts like Medeski Martin & Wood and Galactic fall into more of a grey area. Most of MMW is closer to straight(ish) jazz, but I gave Galactic a pass--as they play plenty of rock, funk, soul, R&B, and blues in addition to their jazz-centric roots. This album in particular is something unique. Produced by the brilliant Dan the Automator (the mastermind producer behind Dr. Octagon, the Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Lovage, Peeping Tom, and Deltron 3030), this effort dips more into hip-hop territory than their previous efforts. Normally, I prefer these guys as a live band (and would've included We Love 'Em Tonight: Live at Tipitina's... if I hadn't also omitted live material from my countdown). For a long time, they played an annual Halloween show in Austin--and those were some of the best shows I've seen. However, when teamed up with a truly great producer, Galactic was able to capture the magic of their live performance and embed it into a densely layered amalgamation of genres. Stanton Moore, a notoriously skilled percussionist, particularly shines on this record due to the traditional hip-hop emphasis on the rhythm section and ensuring that it stays at the forefront of the mix. Ruckus might not be indicative of their overall discography, but it didn't take long before becoming my favorite studio work from Galactic.

"The Moil"

"Bongo Joe"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwLcH3w6Ec

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Bon Iver, "Bon Iver", 2011
I don't fully understand the appeal of the vocals, but--as usual with your picks--the music was quite pleasant. My fiancee loves this style... I'll have to ask if she already has this in her collection (I think she does, actually).

Geezer Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory", 2000
This actually sounded more like late-90s hard rock than early-00s nu metal. That's a good thing, but I'm still not a fan.

Leestu Big Black, “Songs About Fucking”, 1987
This album has been on my radar for a long, long time... but I never got around to getting myself a copy. I'm a huge fan of Albini's skills in the studio as a sound engineer and producer. It's also interesting to hear what legendary producers do when they are working with original material, as opposed to helping someone else achieve their vision. The first song didn't grab me, but I loved the second track. I'll get this album sooner or later.

numbersix Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Let Love In", 1994
Nick Cave is beginning to flood the market within this countdown. I'll be getting Grinderman I & II soon, then I plan on revisiting the string of 80s albums that I procured during the Best Songs Countdown (I got four of 'em). If it all finally clicks, I'll move on to his 90s/00s work.

Ron Burgundy Depeche Mode, "Violator", 1990
Another band I've been meaning to check out since I read (a looong time ago) about Frank Black's admiration. Still not sure how much I'll like 'em, but I've been ignorant for too long.

silversurfer Liars, "Drums Not Dead", 2006
As you described, there is certainly something intriguing/alluring/hypnotic about their sound. Though (to be honest) I wasn't pining for more when it ended.

transformers System of a Down, "Hypnotize", 2005
As Surf said, this wasn't nearly as grating as most of the SoaD I've heard. Though as Six mentioned (and as I've said in the past), I honestly thought people only enjoyed this band on an "ironic" level until several years into their career when I came to the revelation that their fans actually take them seriously.