Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #3) 80-71

Post by englishozzy »

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory - 10/10
Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles - 7/10
The Birthday Party - Junkyard - 6/10
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi - 3/10
Crowded House - Crowded House - 9/10 (Very nearly crept into my 100)
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain - 5/10
Judas Preist - British Steel - 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Oasis were massive over here, probably the most popular act of the 90s. I always felt they were over-rated. Some good tunes but a lot of them failed to excite me. Definitely Maybe had some good tunes, but this never impressed.

I also had a listen to some of your previous tracks, and I really enjoyed the Chick Corea tune. Must look further into it.

Ozzy: It was sort of easy-listening.

Geez: This is the album that I'm least familiar with. Although it's good to hear that they retained their siggnature sound, neither of those tunes were as good as anything from their debut.

Leetsu: Wow, sounds like Nick was on quite a bender when he recorded those tunes. They're chaotic. I really am going to have to get me some Birthday Party albums.

Ron B: Had to look away from that video! The music was pleasent but didn't do a lot for me.

SS: Another band I've never hear much of besides a few singles. These were decent, but like a lot of goth, it feels a little too understated to get into.

Tranny: Now this is the sort of metal I can listen to. Pretty decent.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Still catching up...

Album No.77

Alyson Chick Corea w/Return to Forever, "Return to Forever", 1972 - Very much the sound of its time, the beat was cool, but the pipes and vocals just were not keeping me interested.

englishozzy Status Quo, "On the Level", 1975 - Man, talk about inspired music choices from our fathers... I dunno, these guys just scream dad rock, their abilities as musicians was probably not much better than me and how they applied that ability even worse. Dull and predictable, I just don't get their appeal when there was SO many more bands who were SO much better at the time.

Geezer The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Let's Face It", 1997 - I listened to The Impression That I Get almost non stop for a few months in 1997, it was one of the songs on the previously mentioned Shine compilation, and it was so much fun. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever progressed beyond that for me, the other song you played didn't really do anything for me and the rest of the songs of theirs had the same effect. But for The Impression alone I'll give you bonus points!

Leestu The Prodigy, "Fat of the Land", 1997 I remember when these guys first grabbed the attention of the world and these were the dance act it was okay to like. Unfortunately I never really got it. I saw them play Leeds Festival in the early 2000s too and they were no better live, unfortunately, which I thought would have been were they excelled. Maybe it's just not for me.

NSpan, Gram Rabbit "Miracles & Metaphors", 2010 - Really didn't like it, to be honest. The girl's voice truly grated, and the music was just a little too 90s to really interest me. Sounded like something Republica may have made back in their heyday...

numbersix Fugazi, "Repeater", 1990 - Obviously I love this record, and so good to see it being almost universally acclaimed on here! Wish I could have seen them live, they look like they were something special.

Ron Burgundy Neon Indian, "Era Extrana", 2011 - A band I know by name only. Kind of spacey, but didn't last with me at all.

transformers Faith No More, "Angel Dust", 1992 - Despite being a FNM fan I'll admit I didn't actually get this record until about 5 years ago. I knew Midlife Crisis quite well as it was fairly successful, but otherwise I knew the band mainly for The Real Thing. This is a good record though, not as good as The Real Thing, but some definite highlights.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.73

Alyson
Tenacious D, "Tenacious D"
. 2001

"Tribute"

englishozzy
Michael Jackson, "Thriller"
, 1982

You can't have a music countdown without including the 'King of Pop', Michael Jackson's Thriller remains one the most successful albums of all time and rightly so never getting old no matter how many times I can play it. There is bound to be at least one song on this album that everybody likes.

"Beat It"

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8DKD0PoRSI

Geezer
Rise Against, "Revolutions Per Minute"
, 2003

1.Black Masks and Gasoline – 4 stars
2.Heaven Knows – 4 stars
3.Dead Ringer – 2 stars
4.Halfway There – 3 stars
5.Like The Angel – 5 stars
6.Voices Off Camera – 5 stars
7.Blood-Red White and Blue – 3 stars
8.Broken English – 5 stars
9.Last Chance Blueprint – 4 stars
10.To The Core – 3 stars
11.Torches – 4 stars
12.Amber Changing - 4 stars
13.Data (Any Way You Want It) – 5 stars

Back to back "Against" bands! Oh joy! The second album from Rise Against built on all the good elements of their debut and proved that this band was headed for true greatness. Some absolutely flawless songs here showed the true potential of what was to come.

"Like The Angel"

"Voices Off Camera"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMjpAF7Fvo

BleedBlackandGold
Anti-Flag, "Die For the Government"
, 1996

Anti flags debut was a long time coming. but it was a dirty attack of a record. they've changed a lot over the years but this album still holds a special place in my heart.

"Davey Destroyed The Punk Scene"

Leestu
Spacemen 3, "Playing With Fire"
, 1989

Featuring the song Revolution that was high in my 100 favourite songs. I think to explain this album I will use the titles of two of their unofficial demo albums - For All the Fucked Up Children of This World We Give You Spacemen 3, and Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To.

"Honey"

"Suicide"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NQtVaVvD4

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Elliott Smith, "XO"
, 1998

Smith’s first foray into the mainstream delivered his best record. While previous ones were limited due to the minimalist acoustic approach, and thus lent itself to repetition, here we can hear Smith flexing his musical muscles. There are more strings, more piano, broader influences. This often helps to create a more upbeat music to clash with Smith’s incredibly defeatist and honest lyrics.

"Pitseleh"

"Waltz #2"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1ly1GMwwc

Ron Burgundy
Tool, "Lateralus"
, 2006

"Schism"

silversurfer
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "BRMC"
, 2001

BRMC first came to my attention when I was reading a review published on a teletext page back on the first weekend of 2001. Announcing it's release, the review proclaimed it the best record of the new year, and possibly decade. Having now entered a new decade, I'm pushed to agree with him. Combining a love for The Jesus And Marychain and The Stooges, the band crafted a whirling haze of noise, atmospheric, moody and melodic, and I found it intoxicating. It was one of, if not the first record I lent out to my then new girlfriend, and I'm pretty sure it was one of three reasons why she married me (the other two still to come)... Anyway, this mysterious, feedback induced debut was an astounding way to welcome in the new year, and its effects are still felt in my record collection today.

"Rifles"

"Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6FFSb5SzY

transformers
Anthrax, "Among the Living"
, 1987

"Indians"

"Caught in a Mosh"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5FEmFCFyQ
Last edited by silversurfer19 on October 15th, 2012, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Roky Erickson - The Evil One (1980)

1. Two Headed Dog [Red Temple Prayer]
2. I Think Of Demons
3. Creature With The Atom Brain
4. The Wind And More
5. Don't Shake Me Lucifer
6. Bloody Hammer
7. Stand For The Fire Demon
8. Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play
9. If You Have Ghost
10. I Walked With A Zombie
11. Night Of The Vampire
12. It's A Cold Night For Alligators
13. Mine Mine Mind
14. Sputnik
15. White Faces

Following the short-lived success of the Austin, TX's 13th Floor Elevators, Roky Erickson suffered a mental breakdown in 1968 and became another "rock & roll casualty." He was only 21 years old at the time. He didn't die, but I wouldn't say he ever fully recovered. He eventually came back to music in the late 70s, and--in 1980--he released his first solo album. Though the lyrics were all about aliens, monsters, and demons, the songwriting was surprisingly tight. There's something a bit off about the whole album... similar to listening to Syd Barrett's post-Floyd work. But, unlike Syd, Roky Erickson's comeback sounded very similar to his old band. It's hard to say exactly where his mind was during the recording. My theory is that he was very self-aware of his own condition (diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia), and the songwriting provided a way to bring his more subversive thoughts to the surface. If he was truly (and completely) lost in his delusions, I don't think I'd enjoy listening to the results. Fortunately, I think this album captured a time in his life where he could see a bit more clearly. And, in those moments, he really shines.

"Don't Shake Me Lucifer"

"I Walked With a Zombie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeuNUASHXc
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Primus - Suck On This (1989)

1. "John the Fisherman"
2. "Groundhog's Day"
3. "The Heckler"
4. "Pressman"
5. "Jellikit"
6. "Tommy the Cat"
7. "Pudding Time"
8. "Harold of the Rocks"
9. "Frizzle Fry"

Okay, I broke my own rule. This is the one exception to the "No Live Albums" caveat I gave to my own list. Primus does some great studio work, but they really have to be experienced live to get the full effect. For their debut, they wisely went with a live recording. Every one of these songs would be rerecorded for later studio albums--though I think these are generally the definitive versions.

"John the Fisherman"

"Harold of the Rocks"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwWyC_zgdI

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Electronic Light Orchestra, "ELO2". 1973
ELO is woefully underrated. That said, I've only stuck with compilations and never got around to digging into their full catalog.

englishozzy Franz Ferdinand, "Franz Ferdinand", 2003
Great debut. I thought their live show was extremely underwhelming... which was a drag. And, you're right, the subsequent albums failed to meet expectations..

Geezer AFI, "Sing The Sorrow", 2003
I was going to describe their sound as "post-Greenday/Offspring"...but, honestly, I'd prefer this over whatever the hell Greenday or Offspring were doing in 2003. I'm surprised they were recording as early as 1995.

Leestu Pixies, "Trompe Le Monde", 1991
I think Frank Black allowed fewer contributions from the band than usual... making it sound almost like a solo album. But that's certainly not a bad thing! Great choice. Interesting song selection, by the way. At the risk of being obvious, I would've gone with "Motorway to Roswell," "U-Mass," or "Letter to Memphis."

numbersix Fuck Buttons, "Tarot Sport", 2009
Makes me think of video game music done right. When do you listen to this? Driving? Jogging? Being high and waiting for the pizza boy?

Ron Burgundy Pnau, "Pnau", 2007
Not really my bag... but your song selection was quite catchy.

silversurfer Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning", 2005
IThis album (already in my collection) is on my "to listen" list.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Ron B: Sounds very much like another upbeat electro act who uses children's voices... it'll come to me.
A bit reminiscent of the Gorillaz' "Dirty Harry" ?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Tranny - Smashing Pumpkins, very good pick, i missed out on seeing Billy Corgon on Perth ealier this year, apparently they kicked aSS! And i really dug the Judas Priest song, something id like to hear more of. Still havent heard much of Anthrax, but i did see them live. It took em 20 mins to get the sound/speakers right, on a a small stage and it just stunk of amatuerism. But i stuck around, and got a small reward with Madhouse.

Alysong- ELO, will take some getting used to, i didnt like it enough to finish the song. Tenacious D however, had a brilliant debut single, Tribute, the rest of the album was still good, but not great. Oasis, only one album i ever really listened to, and you picked it! Nice choice.

Leestu - After only hearing bits of Bossanova and loving Doolittle, i think ill need to explore this more, it had a great raw pixie type souund. And as for the Birthday party, well you said, perhaps not very accesible, i think i could grow to like that after a few more listens, but initially fairly brunt. Spaceman 3, was ok.

six - two electro albums in a row? Ah, but not as straightforward as that. Fuck Buttons was very interesting, the first 4 mins were very good, but then in the middle where i was expecting bliss to happen, there was a strange drilling type, scratchy sound, which is not bliss (for me anyway), but that aside, i listened to the lot and i want to hear more (not only because of Danny Boyle). Then Geogaddi, yes lots going on, very upstepping, slowly, emotional. Needs another go. But twas good. Elliot Smith, sound like hes appeared in a Wes Anderson film, very mellow, need to be in the mood. More digging.....

Geez - Battle of LA was my first RAGE album, Renegades of Funk was the highlight, infact that was the start of my musical broadening, away from Rap, Hiphop and Undeniablely Poppy pop. God i was into some utter crap when i was young, ICP anyone? But this RAGE album changed everything, sleep now in the fire is a 5/5 for me too. And then the next pick from you, Rise Against; made me squirm. Lets just say its my favourite band i love to hate, i really dont like the vocals, or the music very much. AFI was good, another band ive seeen live, which were one of the most surprising good bands ive seen in recent history.

Ozzy - Thriller is right up there, how can you not like it? And John Butlers Grand National was good, but i preffered his debut album with Betterman and Pickapart. Butlers guitar goes off sometimes. Really like the blues/rock combo with a splash of pop and country.

SS- Bright eyes, was a great surprise, i thought i didnt like Conor Oberst, seems i was wrong. I like your New York story, what else did you do there? Echo and the Bunnymen were quite good, but not somehting id seek out, but id most prob enjoy it if i were in a liverpool pub. Black rebel motorcycle club, again another band i havent heard much of, but this song was pretty good, i like the laid back guitar wails and laid back vocals ringing true with each other, i wonder if i need to buy this...

Nspan- Never heard the Breeders as i was never sure if id like em, thought Frank Black was the good part of the Pixies, but this is pretty good. And i havent heard much of Primus either, but i did love rocking out to John the Fisherman on guitar hero 2, one of the best games ever made. A
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: That song is amusing, though it really needs the video. Don't think I'd ever be able to sit and listen to them consciously.

Ozzy: Pop music at its very best.

Geez: And here comes the Againsts. Didn't stick with me.

Leetsu: I mentioned earlier that I bought this based on your recommendation. It's a good album, but its dreamy nature makes it hard to remember. Revolution is great, though Suicide is a fitting tribute.

NSpan: The Roky Erikson songs did nothing for me. Sounded very familiar, and not very impressive. As for Primus, they are an act I've been avoiding, despite the constant accusations (including yourself) that any recent and remotely experimental rock act sounds just like them. And also despite Tom Waits being a big fan. But those two songs were really good. I'm going to give them another go to take it all in, but I can certainly see the appeal.

Ron B: For such a mocked band, this wasn't too bad.

SS: I remember these guys being hyped up, but unlike The Strokes or The White Stripes, I just couldn't dig them. The music isn't bad, but for me they never transcended their influences.

Tranny: Very listenable for metal. I quite enjoyed that.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Tenacious D - Tenacious D - 8/10
Rise Against - Revolutions per Minute - 9/10
Spacemen 3 - Playing with Fire - 5/10
Elliot Smith - XO - 7/10
Tool - Lateralus - 9/10
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC - 7/10
Anthrax - Among the Living - 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Alyson Tenacious D, "Tenacious D" 2001 - A bit of a hit and miss album for me without much replay value, however Tribute is excellent and I did really enjoy seeing them live last year. They were great entertainers.

englishozzy Michael Jackson, 1982 - Nope not for me. Like probably every family in 1982 we had this album but I never liked it.

Geezer Rise Against, "Revolutions Per Minute", 2003 - I haven't heard much Rise Against apart from the songs from your favourite songs list and Prayer of the Refugee which was had reasonable success here but I quite like what I've heard. These songs were pretty good.

numbersix Elliott Smith, "XO", 1998 - I said after hearing Needle in the Hay that I needed to get an Elliott Smith album ASAP! I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet and still need to. I already know Waltz #2 well and it's a great song.

Ron Burgundy Tool, "Lateralus", 2006 - I do like Tool, but only in small doses and not enough to have ever listened to a whole album. I think I'll just stick to the singles every now and then. Also I found them very disappointing live. Very competent but no atmosphere or stage presence. I was a bit bored and relieved when halfway through their set it was time to leave and go see Grinderman on a different stage.

silversurfer Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "BRMC", 2001 - I feel like I should like this band but it doesn't seem to have that certain undefinable something that makes it stand out for me. Both Rifles, which was new to me, and Whatever Happened to my Rock N Roll, which I have heard a lot, have that impact (or lack of) for me.

transformers Anthrax, "Among the Living"[/b], 1987 - Aahh this is more the Anthrax sound I know. These two songs were much better than your last Anthrax selection and I enjoyed them. I have their No Hit Wonders comp which I might give another spin sometime.

Nspan Rocky Erickson - I think you are going to have more Austin bands in your list than I am going to have Aussie bands on my mine. :D These were mildly interesting songs and an intersting back story, but doesn't seem as good as what little I've heard of 13th Floor Elevators.
Primus - Great stuff! I do really like Primus and I've got a few albums that I would like to listen to more but I haven't got this one.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote: Leestu Pixies, "Trompe Le Monde", 1991
I think Frank Black allowed fewer contributions from the band than usual... making it sound almost like a solo album. But that's certainly not a bad thing! Great choice. Interesting song selection, by the way. At the risk of being obvious, I would've gone with "Motorway to Roswell," "U-Mass," or "Letter to Memphis."
It was hard to choose because I basically think every song on this album is great. U-Mass was definitely considered as well as Planet of Sound and Alec Eiffel (but most of the time I'm not choosing the singles with the hope that people already know or have heard them), Head On (decided against it because it's a cover), Subbacultcha, and Distance Equals Rate Times Time.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:#75

numbersix Fuck Buttons, "Tarot Sport", 2009
Makes me think of video game music done right. When do you listen to this? Driving? Jogging? Being high and waiting for the pizza boy?
Reminiscing over Commodore 64 games?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.72

Alyson
Traffic, "John Barleycorn Must Die"
. 1970

Actually not the best representation of the album - but a live version of the title track... rings true with me - more honest.

"John Barleycorn (Must Die)"

englishozzy
Greenday, "American Idiot"
, 2004

For some, this is Greenday's sell out, for me this is Greenday succeeding in trying something new. Some brilliant storytelling within an album with catchy yet thought provoking lyrics, not their best but still deserving to be in my list.

"Are We the Waiting"

"Jesus of Suburbia'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8v3B1SxR0

Geezer
The Ramones, "Leave Home"
, 1977

1.Glad To See You Go – 4 stars
2.Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment – 4 stars
3.I Remember You – 4 stars
4.Oh, Oh, I Love Her So – 5 stars
5.Carbona Not Glue – 4 stars
6.Suzy Is A Headbanger – 4 stars
7.Pinhead – 4 stars
8.Now I Wanna Be A Good Boy – 3 stars
9.Swallow My Pride – 5 stars
10.What's Your Game – 3 stars
11.California Sun – 5 stars
12.Commando – 5 stars
13.You're Gonna Kill That Girl – 4 stars
14.You Should Never Have Opened That Door – 3 stars

The highly underrated second album from punk pioneers the Ramones. For me, an essential part of the punk rock starter kit.

"Swallow My Pride"

"Oh, Oh, I Love Her So"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8HxnhD4c6k

BleedBlackandGold
Tiger Army, "Tiger Army II: Power of Moonlight"
, 2001

Tiger Army are an amazingly unique Psychobilly trio this album defines their style.

"Cupid's Victim"

Leestu
Rage Against The Machine, "Rage Against The Machine"
, 1992

I got a bit bored with RATM after this album but both at the time and now I love the anger and passion in this album.

"Wake Up"

"Know Your Enemy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smim2MNvF8

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Bloc Party, "Silent Alarm"
, 2005

I’m proud to say I’ve been a fan of Bloc Party since their early demos, having discovered them through an old site dedicated to The Futureheads (whose debut album was a contender for this list). The demos reminded me of the spiky sounds of Gang of Four. But their debut album saw their range broaden, sometimes leaning towards a lighter, poppier sound, and other times taking a more brooding approach. At their best they’re a band who perfectly captured the hopes and aches of being young, as evidenced in their brilliant anthem Pioneers :“We promised the world we’d tame it, what were we hoping for”?

Pioneers

Banquet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6kJXim7DY

Ron Burgundy
The Living End, "The Living End"
, 1998

"Prisoner Of Society"

silversurfer
Teenage Fanclub, "Grand Prix"
, 1995

Teenage Fanclub were one of those bands who should have been much bigger than they actually ever became. Criminally underrated as a pop band, their Byrds-esque sound mixed with early REM jangly guitars is the perfect summer listen and Grand Prix one of the greatest love records ever created. Moving on from the slightly more bombastic Bandwagonesque, this record saw the band bringing all their influences together to craft their best record with some beautiful harmonies and intricate lyrics. I remember first picking this record up on the back of it being hailed one of the best records of the year in NME, and to be honest when I first listened to it it was not what I anticipated. At the time I hadn't heard anything of the band but was a little taken aback by just how 'pop' this record was. Bear in mind this was a time when I was just hitting my teenage rebellion phase and listening to a lot of The Clash and Sex Pistols and so if it wasn't ferociously punk, I wasnt interested. So naturally after a couple of listens I decided I shouldn't listen to it anymore. But I did. I couldn't help it, it was just so infectious a record. And a good 15 years later here I am still loving this record, indeed it may have even gotten better with time. It's just one of those records which will always put a smile on my face.

"Sparkys Dream"

"Verisimilitude"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizcAX26Bms

transformers
Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
, 1991

"Breaking the Girl"

"The Power of Equality"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtLeCoqkd0