Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by Geezer »

Aly, never apologize for System of a Down. They flat out rock. I need to see them before I die.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Still waiting on records from Ron, NSpan and ozzy before I want to post...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I'll write mine now, but don't wait on my behalf..
numbersix wrote:I actually don't know Son Volt. Must look into them/him/her. Calexico and Lucinda I like. Fleet Foxes are a bit over-rated but have a few decent songs. My, that's quite a list, NSpan. Will we be seeing any of these in your Top 100?
I agree about the Fleet Foxes. They have a good sound, but they didn't deserve that surge in buzz they received. Almost didn't include them in that little list.

None of those artists show up in my list--not directly, at least. Some associated acts will show up before too long.
alyson wrote:Also, Nick - I know you well enough to never play SOAD in your presence, but I will say almost all of the nostalgia that goes with that album is because it was the only album your sister had in her car the entire summer we lived in NYC.
I have no sister.
Last edited by NSpan on October 1st, 2012, 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Last edited by NSpan on October 1st, 2012, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.82

Alyson
Blues Traveler, "Four"
, 1994

One of my #1 feel-good/ sad sack songs. But I can jam with the whole album.

"The Mountains Win Again"

englishozzy
To Be Added At Later Date

Geezer
AC/DC, "Back In Black"
, 1980

1.Hell's Bells – 4 stars
2.Shoot to Thrill – 4 stars
3.What Do You Do For Money Honey – 3 stars
4.Givin the Dog a Bone – 3 stars
5.Let Me Put My Love Into You – 3 stars
6.Back in Black – 5 stars
7.You Shook Me All Night Long – 5 stars
8.Have a Drink on Me – 4 stars
9.Shake a Leg – 3 stars
10. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution – 5 stars

As I mentioned earlier in the countdown, Back in Black is my favorite AC/DC album. Just pure rock and roll here, nothing more, nothing less.

"Back In Black"

"Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWBmZTad2E

BleedBlackandGold
The Get Up Kids , "Something To Write Home About"
, 1999

An amazing album from the most unlikely place Kansas city. GUK defined early Pop emo (You know Before it sucked).

"Ten Minutes"

Leestu
Hole, “Live Through This”
, 1994

I think it was a matter of right place, right time, right sound, and everything coming together to make this great album which is strong, musically and lyrically, from the beginning, Violet, to the end, Rock Star.

“Violet”

“Rock Star”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjF--CElfE

NSpan
The Beastie Boys, "Ill Communication"
, 1994

"Sure Shot"
"Tough Guy"
"B-Boys Makin' with the Freak Freak"
"Bobo on the Corner"
"Root Down"
"Sabotage"
"Get It Together"
"Sabrosa"
"The Update"
"Futterman's Rule"
"Alright Hear This"
"Eugene's Lament"
"Flute Loop"
"Do It"
"Ricky's Theme"
"Heart Attack Man"
"The Scoop"
"Shambala"
"Bodhisattva Vow"
"Transitions"

I had been a fan of these guys for a long time before this came out... but this record solidified their status as legends in their own time. The Beasties were operating on their own level. This minor masterpiece is a White Album of sorts. They tackle a variety of genres and show that they've mastered each. Whether they're doing hard rock, old school rap, or hip-hop jazz, their approach is completely professional (even when some of the lyrics are intentionally juvenile). I'm always amazed at how they blend studio wizardry and organic instrumentation throughout the record. Samples compliment solos, and the result is almost a genre in itself. RIP to Adam Yauch--as well as the cassette tape copy of this album I owned in '94 which got played so many times that it simply disintegrated.

"Sure Shot"

"Transitions"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS43vk_m2ig

numbersix
The Fall, "Hex Enduction Hour"
, 1982

Whatever happened to the Beat poets, those who could just fire out brilliant rhymes and catchy prose off the top of their heads? Were they just all-show and quickly disposed? Well, Beat poetry still runs through The Fall’s Mark E Smith, albeit in an incredibly furious manner. Smith’s verbal ejaculations are the centre of what became a regularly rotating backing band, but at certain stages they were exceptional at what they do. The Fall are notoriously prolific, having released 29 studio albums in their 36 years, and the career highlight is 1982’s Hex Enduction Hour, which featured Sonic Youthy sounds to some of Smith’s best stories and lyrics.

"Jawbone and the Air-Rifle"

"Who Makes the Nazis?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkj0U0cwPDo

Ron Burgundy
Linkin Park, "Hybrid Theory"
, 2000

"In The End"

silversurfer
PJ Harvey, "Is This Desire"
, 1998

Probably the most quintissential Polly Jean record, Is This Desire? captured all of what made her previous three records so great, but brings together those varying musical genres in her most concise record yet, whilst also perhaps indicating the direction she would gravitate to during 21st Century . It's a very personal record; fuzzy, dirty, and dark, though punctured by moments of light, with her guitars crunching and her voice angelic one moment, ghostly the next. It's a captivating record, one I only acknowledged after falling in love with her masterpiece, "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea", and it's haunting, hypnotic and menacing undertones are often reminiscent of the atmosphere formed in a horror movie, most notably on The Wind, Catherine and The Garden, before becoming unhinged on The Sky Lit Up and Perfect Day Elise. A fearsome record, but strangely compelling at the same time.

"Perfect Day Elise"

"The Sky Lit Up"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v08OlwjqmwA

transformers
Nirvana, "In Utero"
, 1993

"All Apologies"

"Heart-Shaped Box"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJr-iFh1OZk

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I never understood the appeal of Blues Traveler. It was just some fat guy doing the same thing that everyone else was doing in the mid 1990's. Except it was a fat guy who wore overalls.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Blues Traveler, "Four", 1994
I never had any interest in these guys until I saw them play (as an extended guest spot) with Gov't Mule on New Year's in NYC at the Beacon Theater. John Popper (sp?) has some real talent. I don't know if he's worth a damn as a song-writer, but he shouldn't be written off.

Geezer AC/DC, "Back In Black", 1980
Despite my unwavering opinion that "ACDC died with Bon Scott," this is a killer album. I justify my earlier statement by saying that the album was meant to be a Bon Scott record... and it was his memory that inspired the rest of the band to continue on--even when they were ready to call it quits. I will never enjoy Brian Johnson's voice (it sounds like a drunk guy singing early AC/DC on a karaoke machine). Nonetheless, great songs and solid musicianship through and through. If Bon had lived to see this through, it might (possibly) proved to be the band's finest moment. Good selections... especially #2

BleedBlackandGold The Get Up Kids , "Something To Write Home About", 1999
Some girls I'm friends with have been trying to drag me to these shows for YEEEARS. Always managed to avoid it. Honestly, the music isn't quite as horrible as I imagined.

Leestu Hole, “Live Through This”, 1994
I gave these guys (girls?) a chance back when this came out... it didn't really jibe with me sensibilities. Still willing to give 'em one last chance.

numbersix The Fall, "Hex Enduction Hour", 1982
I kinda dug this. I might need to check out some more.

silversurfer PJ Harvey, "Is This Desire", 1998
I know OF her... though I haven't really submersed myself in the discography. Her popularity in Austin has piqued my interest.... but, honestly, your selections just didn't do anything for me. Especially the first. Sorry, bro.

transformers Nirvana, "In Utero", 1993
Good selections. "Heart Shaped Box" is one of my favorite Nirvana tunes. Still not a fan though...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Didn't really interest me. Here in Ireland we have hundreds of singer-songwriters who sound like this, and it's all very indistinct to me

Geez: While I've yet to be tempted to get an AC/DC record, I did very much enjoy both of those songs.

John L: More mid-tempo punk pop? Meh.

Leetsu: The Foo Fighters were criticised as Nirvana-lite, but I always felt Hole were more apt for that description. I've never been able to get into them. Doll Parts is good, but the rest never blew me away. They say Cobain wrote some of this but having looked at the lyrics of the second song, I doubt he would have been that bland. It's listenable, but not great.

NSpan: Very cool. I've heard, and liked, Sure Shot before, but actually concentrating on it now reveals the amount of work put into it. The second tune was pretty nice too. I've never been a huge fan of the Beasties but perhaps that will change, as the songs on this project so far have impressed.

Ron B: Sorrry, buddy, but that was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. The rapping was hilariously awful, the music mediocre, and the other singer's vocals sounded amateurish. Combine them together for a cacophony of cack.

SS: A great album, perhaps PJ's most under-rated. Very brooding, but with moments of pure beauty too. Though I never try to sell PJ on Elise. It's a good song but never seems to grab people until they know her other stuff. I love how she experiments with trip-hop on this album as well. I will take issue with you claiming Stories... is her masterpiece. For me it's her worst album by a long shot, but I imagine we will be having this debate a little later ;)

Tranny: And speaking of Cobain, here's his band's best album.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Geezer wrote:Aly, never apologize for System of a Down. They flat out rock. I need to see them before I die.
Yes you do, they were absolutely amazing when I saw them in August.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

The Getaway Plan, "Other Voices, Other Rooms", 2008

An Australian alt-rock band that put on an amazing live show, not one of their most well-reviewed album but i find it's the best.

Where the City Meets the Sea

Shadows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LCf0tg6p0
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Have been away for the long weekend so I will try and catch up on some of the albums over the next couple of days.
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:SS: A great album, perhaps PJ's most under-rated. Very brooding, but with moments of pure beauty too. Though I never try to sell PJ on Elise. It's a good song but never seems to grab people until they know her other stuff. I love how she experiments with trip-hop on this album as well.
And here was me thinking as her most quintissential PJ song on the album, it would be a perfect intro. I did consider using The Sky Lit Up with either The Garden or Catherine though.
numbersix wrote:I will take issue with you claiming Stories... is her masterpiece. For me it's her worst album by a long shot, but I imagine we will be having this debate a little later ;)
Yes, yes we will...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan, also realised you liked Liliput on the Post-Punk comp. Their Liliput/Kleenex anthology is excellent as well.
Got the LiLiPUT collection. Especially dig "Die Matrosen," "Hitch-Hike," and "Nice" so far.

From the Au Pairs set, I immediately like "Kerb Crawler," "You," and "Monogamy."

Considered getting a Les Georges Leningrad album... but I held off.
Geezer wrote:I just never really explored R.E.M. beyond the hits. I like them and I probably should someday. I'll add this to the list.
http://blog.allmusic.com/2012/10/01/r-e-m-giveaway/

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.81

Alyson
Adrian Belew, "Young Lions"
, 1990

I am probably alone in this, but I tend to enjoy Belew's solo work more than his time with King Crimson - just imho, nick may kill me. but still, from this album, I just had to pick the duet with bowie :)

Film/ sound quality isn't the best, but i wanted to find one with them in the video

"Pretty Pink Rose"

englishozzy
Incubus, "Morning View"
, 2001

A quick follow-up to the sleeper hit of "Make Yourself", this shows Incubus with more maturity but still keeping hold of their essence.

"Are You In?"

"Warning"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPlkmYaEQs

Geezer
Van Halen, "Van Halen"
, 1978

1.Runnin' With The Devil – 5 stars
2.Eruption – 4 stars
3.You Really Got Me – 5 stars
4.Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love – 4
5.I'm The One – 4 stars
6.Jamie's Cryin – 4 stars
7.Atomic Punk – 3 stars
8.Feel Your Love Tonight – 5 stars
9.Little Dreamer – 3 stars
10.Ice Cream Man – 3 stars
11.On Fire – 3 stars

I'm still surprised at the backlash received from the last Van Halen selection. I kinda just assumed that everyone liked Van Halen. I mean, what's not to like? Outstanding guitar work, terrific showmanship, just a ton of fun all around! And this debut album is the embodiment of all of that. Their best work.

"Feel Your Love Tonight"

"Runnin' With the Devil"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4dEAtxo0M

BleedBlackandGold
Brand New, "Deja Entendu"
, 1999

The last great Emo band before it was all about the looks and trying to be sad it seemed. The dark Tone of this albem set it apart from all their prior releases

"Me Vs Maradona Vs Elvis"

Leestu
Spacemen 3, “Sound of Confusion”
, 1986

A fantastic debut album.

“2.35”

“Losing Touch With My Mind”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMOacGV1gQ

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Fever To Tell"
, 2003

Interestingly, the original post-punk movement featured more women in music than almost any other genre, but the revival failed to recreate that gender balance. Thankfully, Karen O made her mark with this deliciously sexy and fun record, which not only has pounding punk but also some truly emotive moments (Maps was an instant classic). But you can’t deny that she’s only one part of an immensely talented group, with Nick Zinner’s guitar playing managing to veer between being restrained and raucous, and Brian Chase’s drumming adding a distinctive rhythm. A few years back I had the opportunity to hear the band playing this entire album and it was a joy.

"Y Control"

"Black Tongue"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHMnTNzoyo0

Ron Burgundy
Frank Zappa, "Sheik Yerbouti"
, 1979

"Flakes"

silversurfer
Rival Schools, "United By Fate"
, 2001

I questioned for a while which Walter Schreifels record would make my list, with Quicksand's Slip a long time contender. In the end only one of his records did make the cut, his 2001 release with Rival Schools. Taking the more hardcore elements of Quicksand and Gorilla Biscuits before that and chanelling that into the more melodic sound of Rival Schools, Schreifels managed to craft his most consistent record to date, and one which I played almost continuously during my degree and beyond. A fantastic record jam packed with catchy songs.

"Undercovers On"

"Travel By Telephone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkROOJiFgFY

transformers
Machine Head, "The Blackening"
, 2007

Prior to The Blackening, Machine Head was in a slump. They had abandoned their roots on the previous two albums and tried to hop on the nu-metal train and failed miserably. The Blackening was not only an excellent album, it was a career-saving album that managed to surpass their very good early work by a substantial margin. This album has the fury of groove metal with the excellent guitar solos of thrash (Guitarist Phil Demmel is the standout of this album, the solo on "Halo" is one of my favorite ever) and some glorious melodic sections thrown for good measure. Landmark album for Machine Head that not only saved their career, it made it stronger than ever.

"Halo"

"Beautiful Mourning"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_U0Io4wNAE

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: This isn't something that really excited me. Nice to see Bowie involved

Ozzy: Well, at least Incubus aren't as bad as I assumed.

Geez: I thought this was better than the other Van Halen album you had, so at least you got the order right!

John L: Wasn't bad for emo.

Leetsu: Actually bought Playing With Fire after you put Revolution in your Top 100 songs. It's a good album. This sounded great, a bit more rock oriented and a little less dreamy.

Ron B: Never really got into Zappa, even though I like Captain Beefheart. Actually this felt like a cross between Cptn and Weird Al. There's a lot going on in that song (actually, it seems to be two songs), and I will need to relisten. But there's good stuff in there. Plus, it's a pretty funny rant against a complacent workers. Not sure if the Dylan parody works though.

SS: Didn't really impress me. Sounded a bit like Bush.

Tranny: Halo wasn't a bad song... until it came to the solo which just went on and on. Very self-indulgent. Second song did less for me. And surely The Blackening is the most hilarious name for a metal album!