Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:But you'd leave Poison and Motley Crue? NSpan, no bands did more bad in music than those two.
Don't even try to put Motley Crue on Poison's level. Motley Crue was the only respectable band to come out of the glam metal era.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

No hair metal band was ever respectable. That era was all about hookers, blow and seeing who could be the biggest attention whore (Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Bret Michaels all tied).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Motley Crue sucks...

I really wasn't expecting people to hate Van Halen.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Their first album has its moments..
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't disagree with that!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Yet another potentially volatile debate settled in a civil manner.

Only at Reel Society, folks.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Motley Crue had plenty of good riffs and catchy songs. Their music is simple, the image was stupid, and I agree they were egomaniac shitheads, but they were still a good, fun band imo.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Trying to catch up....

Aly - far too low, one of the best ever
Ozzy - This song was the definition of 3 stars for me. Decent.
Leestu - The Specials have just never really done it for me. I just find them a little boring.
Six - Musicians just adore this band, personally I don't see why. It's not as bad as some of your other picks though.
Ron - Not bad, but not something I'd really seek out.
Surfer - I've heard "Maps", and really like the song, but never really searched more. Maybe I should, though I really don't like her growling on "Rich," the guitar work is excellent. Still think Maps is the better of the three songs I have now heard, but maybe I'll check this on out.
Tranny - ya know, these guys really are underrated. I need to listen to more of their stuff. I've always liked them.

NSpan - I can dig it. Seriously. I don't like much country, but this transcends your typical country. I'm not sure if I ever get around to listening to the whole album, but the two that you selected I actually really enjoyed, especially the second.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Alyson - Again, I'm not going to rip you at all. You're Still the One is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I'm not going to listen to the whole album, and there are surely some stinkers on there from what I know, but it's certainly got its worthwhile moments.
Ozzy - I hate this band with a passion.
Leestu - I just never really explored R.E.M. beyond the hits. I like them and I probably should someday. I'll add this to the list.
Six - Do you like any songs that are under 6 minutes long?
Ron - Pretty solid dance club music, if you are into that type of thing. Which I only tend to be if I am drunk. Not bad though.
Surfer - Still not really doing it for me.
Tranny - Obviously an amazing artist, and Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is one of my favorite songs of all time, but this just missed making my cut.
NSpan - Not for me this time.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Alyson - Ya know, I kinda dug this, but don't let my girlfriend know or I'll never hear the end of it!
Ozzy - Great pick. Not on my list, but still extremely solid 90s record here. What the FUCK happened to Gwen Stefani? She went from the totally awesome front woman for No Doubt to spelling out bananas? She honestly should have pulled a Cobain after this record.
Leestu - there's something here, but not enough. Maybe I'd like the later, more polished records better? Sounds a lot like Primus.
Six - Hey, a song less than 6 minutes! Still not really my thing though, sorry Six. Just too weird.
Ron - Fantastic selection my friend. Awesome album by an awesome band.
Surfer - A band that despite loving many of their songs, I don't think I've listened to an entire album from them. They have some songs that I really don't like at all, and then some that are 5 star efforts through and through. I'll have to put this one on and see how it treats me from start to finish. Yeah.. that is going to happen. Loved Bliss.
Tranny - Didn't really grab me, kinda boring.
NSpan - I never thought the funk would be for me, but I listened to the first track with my head bobbing most of the time, and the second was great. I think it would be more for me if they cut out the strictly talking portions and just played. As you said, would just be great to throw on at a party at a loud volume and just let it flow, rather than let any one track play.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.84

Alyson
System of a Down, "Mesmerize"
, 2005

Another album with fond memories. A bit out of character for me, but I have probably listened to this album well over 50 times.

"B.Y.O.B"

englishozzy
Trent Dabbs, "Your Side Now"
, 2010

Another Sunday afternoon album I really like to listen to when i'm chilling out.

"Inside These Lines"

"Your Side Now"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuwYnv7uPM

Geezer
Incubus, "A Crow Left of the Murder"
, 2004

1.Megalomaniac – 5 stars
2.A Crow Left of the Murder – 5 stars
3.Agoraphobia – 4 stars
4.Talk Show on Mute – 4 stars
5.Beware Criminal! - 3 stars
6.Sick Sad Little World – 5 stars
7.Pistola – 3 stars
8.Southern Girl – 4 stars
9.Priceless – 2 stars
10.Zee Deveel – 2 stars
11.Made For TV Movie – 3 stars
12.Smile Lines – 4 stars
13.Here in My Room – 5 stars
14.Leech – 4 stars

The follow up album to Morningview marked a slight improvement, at least in my opinion. They are close, and certainly both excellent records, but I found just a little more depth on this one.

"A Crow Left of the Murder"

"Here In My Room"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf8BPvQj3sQ

BleedBlackandGold
Taking Back Sunday, "Tell All Your Friends"
, 2002

One of the greatest Emo albums of all time its been 10 years and still holds up.

"You're So Last Summer"

Leestu
The Pixies, “Bossanova”
, 1990

“Is She Weird”

“Dig For Fire”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKCztmBZtc

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Wilco, "A Ghost is Born"
, 2004

Most fans and critics call Yankee Hotel Foxtrot the masterpiece of this alt-rock act, but I think the follow-up is more impressive. This is an incredibly tender album with occasional bursts of passion (as emphatically expressed by the gently explosive opening track At Least That’s What She Said). Yankee showed the band grappling with experimentation, ensuring their country sound didn’t grow stale, and here they continue such an approach (interestingly, they consciously dumped this idea in subsequent albums, and became bores). Between the beautiful acoustic numbers we get hazy Krautrock (Spiders), jaunty pop (Theologians), and the monstrously epic (all 12 minutes of Less Than You Think), with the various dots all connected by Jeff Tweedy’s thoughtful and touching lyrics.

"Wishful Thinking"

"At Least That’s What You Said"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKZgp_ec9s

Ron Burgundy
Vampire Weekend, "Vampire Weekend"
, 2008

"Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa"

silversurfer
Neil Young, "After The Gold Rush"
, 1970

I can still remember first hearing about Neil Young. Well, I'm sure I had probably heard his name over the years, but the first time I distinctly remember doing so was when I read a review of Stereophonics' horribly bloated and tiresome follow up to the multi selling "Performance And Cocktails", "Just Enough Education To Perform". This was around the time they released a cover of Rod Stewert's Handbags and Gladrags and professed their latest record had been inspired by Neil Young. Needless to say the record was horrible, and scared me away from finding out just how good Neil Young was. It was only a good 5 years later or so that I first heard a song of his, I believe it was Southern Man, when in work and one of my co-workers had choice of music for the day. I was astonished. Firstly, because how wrong I had been to dismiss him after the Stereophonics comparison (tip for everyone, always take acts inspiration for a record with a pinch of salt), but secondly because when I decided to seek out one of his records, this being the first, I was amazed to discover this guy was a lyrical and musical genius. His ability to transform folk into something much more was only paralleled by Dylan himself. This record is glorious, harder edged than his more famous release Harvest, Young's delicate, harrowing voice it moves you, the scathing lyrics inspire you, the music rocks you and its hit after hit of brilliance. Just wish I hadn't taken that review so seriously and gotten into the man a lot, lot earlier.

"Southern Man"

"Don't Let It Bring You Down"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvjVbAHsGUE

transformers
The Clash, "London Calling"
, 1979

"Guns of Brixton"

"London Calling"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKc5sNNuOc
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 30th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Didn't like it when Geez picked it.

Ozzy: I was going to quip that this is the sort of maudlin rubbish that would appear on the unintentionally insincere Grey's Anatomy, and lo and behold....

Geez: For some reason I thought Incubus were one of these nu metal acts, but this was much more pleasant. My other half noted that the second song sounded like a mix between Soundgarden and Radiohead. Bet you love that comparison ;)

John L: Not bad for emo, but not higely memorable for me.

Leets: Not the last Pixies appearance, I imagine. I really like this record, not as much as the ones preceding it (some of the spacey stuff lost me), but it has some of my favourite Pixies songs, such as Velouria and Rock Music.

Ron B: A really interesting indie band who are hugely influenced by Paul Simon. Some great tunes like A-Punk and Oxford Comma.

SS: I only have one Neil Young album (which made my Top 100) and a 2-disc compilation. Why I don't have this record I'll never figure out. Southern Man is one of his greatest songs.

Tranny: A pretty entertaining record.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Haha! Six, I picked that song just for you! It's not my second-favorite from the record, that would probably be Megalomaniac, but Here In My room is great and very much different from the other song I featured, so I figured it was a better representation.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Goo Goo Dolls, "Dizzy Up the Girl", 1998
I think I have this record... I remember when I was younger and this was like the 'must have' album of the time, I didn't get it for a very long time though, probably a good 6 or 7 years, but then having listened to it, it just didn't really do it for me. It was way too poppy for my liking, not what I'd been expecting though I had only heard Iris previously. Not an awful record, there are some good songs on there, just not the one I was hoping for.

englishozzy Shiny Toy Guns, "We Are Pilots", 2007
Didn't like it at all, sorry. Just did nothing for me.

Geezer Van Halen, "1984", 1984
Not exactly Motley Crue, but for me not much better. Fun enough I guess, kind of party music, but would never grace my own collection I'm afraid. Jump is catchy as hell though.

Leestu Depeche Mode, “Black Celebration”, 1986
I've only recently gotten around to picking up this record, will need to give it a lot more play time to form a judgement, but from what I have heard, it's very good. Not their best material (I'll be getting to that later), but certainly some great songs on there with an absorbing atmosphere.

NSpan The Modern Lovers, "The Modern Lovers", 1976
Another record I've been meaning to pick up for a while, some really good stuff there, going to the top of my list.

numbersix Mogwai, "Mr. Beast", 2006
I don't think I have this one. It's one of the few I don't own and I was very close to including both Rock Action and Young Team on my list, but they both just slipped off. Very good band though with some fantastic songs, and this seems to have continued with this record. Really enjoyed Auto Rock, should add this record to my list.

Ron Burgundy Bloc Party, "Silent Alarm", 2005
I love this record, was probably quite close to making my own list, though it's another that just missed the cut. Such a shame they went so downhill after this one record. Talk about a one album wonder. Love songs like Helicopter, Banquet, Like Eating Glass, Positive Tension, Blue Light, She's Hearing Voices. Hmm, maybe I should have re-considered this for my own list.

transformers Wu-Tang Clan, "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)", 1993
Just not my genre, I'm afraid.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson System of a Down, "Mesmerize", 2005 - I first heard of SOAD when I used to go to a rock club back in the late 90s/early 2000s, and Chop Suey was played relentlessly there. I picked up both Toxicity and their debut record soon after and quite liked both record (as well as noticing I had heard another SOAD song previously in Sugar). But when this was released, it just did nothing for me, I didn't like the direction the band had veered off in to and quickly lost interest in the band.

englishozzy
Trent Dabbs, "Your Side Now"
, 2010 - Very unoffensive music. Probably perfect for a lazy Sunday. Just not any of mine, I'm afraid. Just drifted without really doing anything for me.

Geezer Incubus, "A Crow Left of the Murder", 2004 - I don't own this although I have heard Megalomaniac before, I only actually own Morning View and S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Morning View was the better record in my opinion of those two. This was good though, with add this to the list.

BleedBlackandGold Taking Back Sunday, "Tell All Your Friends", 2002 - I remember first seeing this band play at some god awful mid day slot at a festival in the early part of the century. It was my introduction to the band. And though probably an unfair environment to make a judgement, it put me off them. This hasn't done anything to alter that though.

Leestu -The Pixies, “Bossanova”, 1990 Picked this up a couple of years ago partly on the back of NSpan's comments on the record, but mainly to be a Pixies completist. Just hasn't really been able to live up to those first two records though, I like it. Just don't love it.

numbersix Wilco, "A Ghost is Born", 2004 - I actually picked up this record, along with Summerteeth, prior to getting Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I knew YHF was the more famous record and was critically admired, but I think it was a mixture of price and the fact that I was about to see the band play their newest material at the Primavera festival in Barcelona that prompted me to pick this up first. And it's still my favourite record (though I only own the three). At first I can only say I enjoyed the record. it was a nice mood album. But it's a record which slowly, but surely, grew and grew on me. And now I love it. But more on that later...[wink]

Ron Burgundy Vampire Weekend, "Vampire Weekend", 2008 - Avoided this album due to the hype, thinking they were probably another MGMT or Ting Tings. It was only when tranny, and a couple of others possibly, showcased what the band had to offer during the songs countdown that I actually sat up and took notice. There are so many influences streaming through both this and Contra, yet it's still a truly individual sound. Love both records, and in time both my grace my own top 100.

transformers
The Clash, "London Calling"
, 1979 - Freaking awesome record. Much more on that later, though...