Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by silversurfer19 »

Maybe you should get off your high horse and stop listening to music which is either ground-breaking, different and almost outright weird and find the time to post your album cover links when you send your picks! [wink]

Edited, by the way.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:
Geezer wrote:
When you justify why all my picks are bad by saying "I've heard it before" or "it's not original enough," that is just the impression that I get. Just because something is not this ground-breaking, different and almost outright weird, you will hate it. Not because it sounds bad, just because it sounds like something you may have heard before. You do seem to hate everything that mainstream people like because it's not "different" enough. You treat it as beneath you, it's exactly the same way you treat movies.
This has to be the silliest and most easily disprovable thing you've ever said.
Alright I was exagerrating a bit because I was pissed off that you took what I said and reversed it. The point I was trying to make is that some folks around here (not just you) are often dismissive of certain songs/artists simply for being "too mainstream" or not "original enough." And just because something is massively popular means that it is inherently bad. You took that statement and made it seem like I was arguing for the opposite of that, that just because something is popular, that it is inherently good. Which is clearly not the case, but that is not what I was trying to say. I just get annoyed sometimes when some people seem to treat music like they have super-sophisticated ears and all that is mainstream is beneath them.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I don't think it's as simple as that. Take it this way. Do you get fed up if an artist covers a song, but make no effort to make it their own, to make their own sound of it. Or if a movie is remade scene for scene a la Psycho? Do you get bored when acts on America's got talent just repeat a similar, successful act from a previous season? Of course you do, we all do. What's the point of just repeating the exact same thing. I guess this is where six, and sometimes myself are coming from. Music CAN break boundaries, can try something new. Sometimes it doesn't work, but artists should be applauded for that. Artists who just jump on the bandwagon of a particular scene and give nothing in return other than to regurgitate a sound quickly leave me bored. Not saying all acts have to be wildly different, some of my favourite acts have taken a familiar sound and made it their own, but too often artists can and do exactly this. I'm sure you'll hate quite a number of my picks in this countdown, and thats cool. Just try not to take everything to heart and keep personal insults out of it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I guess my ear just isn't sophisticated enough to care. I like the sounds that I like. I could listen to a thousand black metal songs and never like a single one of them. But if it is from a certain genre that I'm already a fan of, as long as they aren't using the exact same arrangement, it's not the same to me, so I don't really care. I like what I like, so if a band sounds similar to another band I like, chances are, I'm going to like them too, and appreciate the differences between them. How their vocals differ. How the lyrics differ. It may have a certain feel that is similar, but that is how genres form! Sometimes it just seems like people are saying everything that shares a similar sound is the exact same thing, like they are all cover versions of the same song, just because maybe they don't enjoy that particular genre. Not everything has to be radical and new to be euphonious. I'd rather someone just say they aren't a fan of a particular style of music than to stick their nose in the air and say that the music that I love is rubbish because someone else did something similar first.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm not even sure you agree with what you are saying. A couple of days ago you said this:
Linkin Park, for me, were a band that came on really strong from the get go, made two phenomenal albums, then got so stuck in what made them famous that they failed to grow as a band after that.
So really, you want bands to grow, develop their sound and not just continue regurgitating the same music. This is what I'm getting it, I will gladly listen to an act who tries to develop a sound rather than just repeat what has come before. Or is that statement incorrect? Of course, to the uninitated, songs may appear to sound very similar. Much of black metal sounds similar to me, just as does pop punk. Delve into it, spend some more time listening, and you notice the nuances. From a 3 minute track maybe that won't happen though.

I honestly see where you are trying to come from, I will generally be willing to check out any band from a genre I like, but this has nothing to do with sophistication, it's to do with lack of effort from an artist in question. No-one is sticking their nose in the air, no-one is saying the music you love is rubbish, it's all subjective. I give all your tracks the benefit of the doubt before listening to them, sometimes I will like them, sometimes not. Do you do exactly the same thing with six's picks? At one point you asked whether it was even worth you listening to his music. What's the point of the countdown if you too are willing to turn your nose up at any of his picks before even listening to them?

Again, take it easy, no-one is having a go at you personally, its all fun!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Linkin Park is just a shitty nu-metal band that can't spell. Nothing more, nothing less.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:I'm not even sure you agree with what you are saying. A couple of days ago you said this:
Linkin Park, for me, were a band that came on really strong from the get go, made two phenomenal albums, then got so stuck in what made them famous that they failed to grow as a band after that.
So really, you want bands to grow, develop their sound and not just continue regurgitating the same music. This is what I'm getting it, I will gladly listen to an act who tries to develop a sound rather than just repeat what has come before. Or is that statement incorrect? Of course, to the uninitated, songs may appear to sound very similar. Much of black metal sounds similar to me, just as does pop punk. Delve into it, spend some more time listening, and you notice the nuances. From a 3 minute track maybe that won't happen though.

I honestly see where you are trying to come from, I will generally be willing to check out any band from a genre I like, but this has nothing to do with sophistication, it's to do with lack of effort from an artist in question. No-one is sticking their nose in the air, no-one is saying the music you love is rubbish, it's all subjective. I give all your tracks the benefit of the doubt before listening to them, sometimes I will like them, sometimes not. Do you do exactly the same thing with six's picks? At one point you asked whether it was even worth you listening to his music. What's the point of the countdown if you too are willing to turn your nose up at any of his picks before even listening to them?

Again, take it easy, no-one is having a go at you personally, its all fun!
I was kidding when I said that to Six. He was in a bad stretch at the time, for me, and I had been shutting the songs off early because there was just nothing there to grab me and I don't always have 8 minutes ;). I guess it is just all a matter of what someone likes to hear.

I never want a band to fail to grow and get stuck making the same record over and over again, like I feel Linkin Park has done over the past few years. It is very easy for me to compare one record from a band to another from the same band. I do NOT get the same comparison when referencing two different bands, which is when I have a problem. Sure there can be similarities, but like I said, that is how genres form. They aren't making covers. They don't have the same chord progression. They don't have the same lead singer. For example, saying that The Offspring and Blink-182 are the same thing. That couldn't be further from the truth. I don't mind if you say that later Offspring didn't change at all from early Offspring, thus it got stale and unenjoyable. But to say that it is unenjoyable from the start because you think it sounds just like Blink or Green Day? That is ridiculous to me. But like you said, I guess that has something to do with being uninitiated, but Six never acts uninitiated, he acts fully initiated and like he knows more than everyone in the room, by saying things like "It's all been done before, and much much better." Lines like that just hit a nerve with me. Who are YOU to say that it is much, much better? If you just don't like it that is one thing, I'll never have a problem with that because it is all a matter of what sounds good to you. But I kinda feel like I'm being called stupid for wasting my time listening to a particular artist, when apparently I should be listening to these other bands that did it first and definitively better.

I seriously often wonder why certain people like the music that they like. What draws you to a particular song or artist? And I get the impression, sometimes from Six, that if what hits his ears isn't something completely original, he just disregards it. I know this probably isn't true, but it is how the comments come across sometimes. All I'm looking for when I first hear a song is that it sounds pleasing to my ears. I don't care if it is similar to another group, it is obviously not THE SAME or they'd get sued. There is a reason that these bands have rose above the millions of others that never made it out of their parents garage, and are well respected within the genre.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I agree with much fof what you said there, though I know it is sometimes hard to distinguish acts within a genre. I certainly do it, I'm sure we all do. It's much easier to group everything together as the same but takes much more effort to spot the differences, and what makes someone love one thing and just like another. I think this all just serves as a reminder to try and go into each day with an open mind and open ears. Try to listen to everything fresh. Even Shania Twain...[wink]

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Guilty pleasure alert: I like "You're Still The One" and I have the stones to admit it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

To answer Six on Led Zep, yes, I believe IV is their best album and the only one that made my list, but Physical Graffiti came very close.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

What an (unneccessary?) hullabaloo! One simple rule - criticize the music not the person. When it comes to my picks feel free to be as brutal as you like. After 25 years plus of listening to music that most people don't like there is very little chance of me getting offended and I would rather honesty than sugar coating. By the same token if I hate a song, let's say Free Bird just for example, I would like to be able to say so. I do have a soft spot for Tuesdays Gone however, although not enough to listen to the whole album ;)

Of what I know from today's selection I love The Doors debut. Probably should've/could've been on my list. Don't like or dislike Origin of Symmetry but my wife loves Muse so I do listen to it (I let her think I listen to it begrudginly, but that's not really the case :D ). Got the Devo album, but haven't listened to it for many, many years. Might put it in the car where I listen to most of my music and give it another whirl. Tragic Kingdom was an album I heard a few times and enjoyed but I have never owned it. Would probably happily listen to it again though.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hey man, if you hate Free Bird, that's cool, and I respect that. Just don't tell me you hate it because someone other than Lynyrd Skynyrd already made Free Bird and did it better ;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote:To answer Six on Led Zep, yes, I believe IV is their best album and the only one that made my list, but Physical Graffiti came very close.
I think he should start chronologically. I did and I think it's the best way to do it. I heard a band evolve in this sense, and it's not like any of their first six records are not worth investing in. IV isn't my particular favourite, I have a couple I prefer over it, but it is certainly a very good record.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Parliament
- Mothership Connection (1975)

1. "P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)"
2. "Mothership Connection (Star Child)"
3. "Unfunky UFO"
4. "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication"
5. "Handcuffs"
6. "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)"
7. "Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples"

When it comes to George Clinton and P-Funk in general, I generally prefer Funkadelic--which, as a band, always leaned toward cohesive albums and stressed unrestrained musicianship over radio-friendly, self-contained singles. But Parliament's Mothership Connection defies any distinctions I try to make between the two bands, as it is an amazing album from start to finish... and, despite boasting some of the catchiest hooks ever laid down, none of the tracks really lend themselves to FM radio (despite some of the lyrics explicitly referencing radio-play). George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Maceo Parker, and the extended P-Funk family take their time with these tunes, letting them play out organically and never cutting it short on account of pop accessibility. It's a killer party album that should be played from start to finish...and LOUD.

"P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)"

"Mothership Connection (Star Child)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSERB93GYfw

Note: I know these tracks are long, but I honestly believe that each of you will enjoy them most played from start-to-finish at a high volume.
Last edited by NSpan on September 29th, 2012, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Killer round, today. I expect more and more of these as we progress toward the coveted #1 spot.

Alyson Death Cab for Cutie, "Transatlanticism", 2003
Always avoided these guys because a mutual friend of ours was WAY too into them. That said, your featured track wasn't as offensive as I would have guessed.

englishozzy No Doubt, "Tragic Kingdom", 1994
I'm not sure how much nostalgia is clouding my judgment... but I still like it. '94 was a good year for music. Though, I'd still take any Sublime over the best of No Doubt any day.

Geezer Lynyrd Skynyrd, "(Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) ", 1973
Brilliant album. Almost made my own list. Though I can't imagine why you didn't feature the best song... "Gimme Three Steps" ?? No offense (whatsoever) to "Tuesday's Gone" and "Freebird"--both near-flawless gems.

Leestu Spiderbait, “Shashavaglava”, 1992
I'll research this, but your featured music wouldn't play here on YouTube..

numbersix Devo,"Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!", 1978
I was VERY close to adding this album to my own list (and their next two releases, as well). It's so good. The highs are SO high. But, ultimately, I decided that Devo's albums are just too inconsistent for me... Though that doesn't mean I can't make my own little Devo mixtapes and be in heaven!

Ron Burgundy The Doors, "The Doors", 1967
This was another major contender for my list... though Strange Days and LA Woman got even closer before being cut. The debut is an amazing album, and the stories that surround its recording make it even more legendary. When it really came down to it, though, this album had more "PUNCH" than substance. The overall kick of the album outweighs the individual songs.

silversurfer Muse, "Origin Of Symmetry", 2003
Love these guys. Good pick. (Great live show, too)

transformers Kyuss, "Welcome to Sky Valley", 1994
I own this album... and I should re-listen to it.
Last edited by NSpan on September 28th, 2012, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.