Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by numbersix »

NSpan, also realised you liked Liliput on the Post-Punk comp. Their Liliput/Kleenex anthology is excellent as well.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I got the Au Pairs anthology which I'm going to sink my teeth into sometime tonight. Thanks for the leads.

I was surprised to see Television so high (low?) on your list. As you recall: I had heard of them, but you got me to give them a proper listen during the Top 100 Songs. And that album skyrocketed to one of my all time favorites very quickly. If that only ranks #89 on your countdown, you've got my interest to see what else there is left to come..

Also, Geez-- good to see you being so receptive to some of these more unique selections. When I'm posting these things, I'm honestly never quite sure what to expect in terms of your reaction.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Willie Nelson
- Shotgun Willie (1973)

Side One
1. "Shotgun Willie"
2. "Whiskey River"
3. "Sad Songs and Waltzes"
4. "Local Memory"
5. "Slow Down Old World"
6. "Stay All Night (Stay a Little Longer)"

Side Two
1. "Devil in a Sleepin' Bag"
2. "She's Not for You"
3. "Bubbles in My Beer"
4. "You Look Like the Devil"
5. "So Much to Do"
6. "A Song for You"

I probably mentioned this in the Top 100 Songs countdown, but I grew up within one mile of a legendary Austin music venue called The Backyard. The biggest names in country, folk, and (surprisingly) rock default to this location just about any time they're in town. Texas-native Willie Nelson took that a step further and basically step up as the House Band for my entire youth. He played there about once a month (and with slightly less regularity, still does). Over all those years, I only attended a handful of the shows. But there were countless nights where friends and I would park across the street with a case of beer and simply listen to the concert from a distance. The sound quality was just as good (as this venue plays it loud) and, more importantly, it was free. Definitely some good times there.

Nostalgia aside, Willie might be the most important figure in the history of non-Nashville (aka "good") Country Music. Just like in the blues, country has always focused on progression and development--while, at once, maintaining its most basic roots and keeping it accessible to everybody. When Willie covers your song, he does it with such respect that it cements it as canon. But he also finds ways to improve it and make it his own. On Shotgun Willie, he pays tribute to both Bob Wills (a legend of classic country) and Leon Russell (who, as some of you big kids know, isn't exactly known as being a pure country artist). He also comes up with some of the best original country songs I've ever heard. Unlike Johnny Cash--whose success relied purely on his stage presence and crossover appeal--Willie was a true innovator and brilliant composer of music and lyrics. This alien "outlaw" looked at the bland and stagnant state of affairs in Nashville and basically said, "Fuck that." He then went on to release true concept albums, collaborate with the best of the best, bridge the gap between country and rock, and continue to kick ass into his 80s.

"Shotgun Willie"

"Sad Songs and Waltzes"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_zPbsDViQY

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape", 1997
Maybe it's because I'm 2 years older than you that I feel the exact same nostalgia for their album from 1995?

englishozzy Children Collide, "Theory of Everything", 2010
Really enjoyed the opening on "Loveless" (and all of the verses accompanied by that steady rhythmic beat), though it feels a bit too familiar when the singer superfluously emotes and the music loses its pacing. "Arrows" is blocked on YouTube in the US.

Geezer Linkin Park, "Meteora", 2003
I preferred the second song (even though you made me sit through an advertisement to hear it). Verses had a Cake/Flobots thing going, while the chorus sounded more like what I usually expect from these guys. But, overall, it's simply too popular and mainstream for me to show any true appreciation. ;)

Leestu The Specials, “The Specials”, 1979
I love the Specials, but between the two compilations I own (Singles and Stereotypical A's, B's, and Rarities), I've never been inclined to dive into the albums. That said, "Stupid Marriage" was new to me... and I dug it. So maybe I should change my stance.

Ron Burgundy Powderfinger, "Odyssey Number 5", 2000
Entirely new to me. Not bad. Maybe I'm projecting, but I think I hear a tiny bit of Faith No More somewhere in there (mostly in the vocalist's range of inflection and the layered song structure).

silversurfer Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Fever To Tell", 2003
You never fail to be a fan of all the bands my friends tell me I should be listening to. Sometimes, you prove them right. Sometimes, my stubbornness is validated. In this case, I probably need to sit down and finally listen to the damn album... I've owned it for ages without ever really giving it a chance. Though I've already been converted to the charm and versatility of Karen O's voice. She showed up in a handful of other projects I've enjoyed.

transformers Stone Temple Pilots, "Purple", 1994
This CD logged significant time in my old Magnavox mini Hi-Fi ("decked out" with a crisp AM/FM tuner, a simple equalizer, a seven CD changer, and dual cassettes--making it pretty ideal for creating mixtapes... when mixtapes were still tapes). This music has aged surprisingly well. I always thought of STP as the alternative to Pearl Jam for people whose ears worked properly. Nice little nostalgia trip here.

...though I still don't understand why he's "feeling like a ham 'n' mustard shake" !!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:Love how Geez attempts to justify his picks by implying he's some sort of voice of the common man, and how we don't like music because it's "popular". Well, since you're the voice of the populace I'm looking forward to you placing the Dirty dancing soundtrack, Shania Twain's Come On Over, and Maria Carey's Music Box (all of which have sold more than Linkin Park's entire catalogue) in your Top 10.
When you justify why all my picks are bad by saying "I've heard it before" or "it's not original enough," that is just the impression that I get. Just because something is not this ground-breaking, different and almost outright weird, you will hate it. Not because it sounds bad, just because it sounds like something you may have heard before. You do seem to hate everything that mainstream people like because it's not "different" enough. You treat it as beneath you, it's exactly the same way you treat movies.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:
Also, Geez-- good to see you being so receptive to some of these more unique selections. When I'm posting these things, I'm honestly never quite sure what to expect in terms of your reaction.
If it sounds good, that's all I care about, Spannaus. At least I'm not like Six, who only likes things that sound like nothing else that ever came before it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Zoot Woman
- Living in a Magazine (2001)

1 It's Automatic
2 Living in a Magazine
3 Information First
4 You and I
5 Nobody Knows, Pt. 1
6 Nobody Knows, Pt. 2
7 The Model
8 Jessie
9 Chicago Detroit L.A.
10 Losing Sight
11 Holiday Home

Contemporaries (and occasional colleagues) of Phoenix, Zoot Woman never quite blew up like their French counterpart. I'd describe this debut as a concept album, but they never really dropped the concept. In that sense, these guys are sort of like an alternate dimension Steely Dan that happened to embrace an 80s synth pop sound over the (faux) lounge lizard act we currently know. Living in a Magazine does not immediately sound like the type of album that would be on my list. But if you dig past the neon, coke-littered exterior, you'll see that there's a LOT going on in these songs. Again, much like Steely Dan, they aren't quite parodying the genre... but they're hyper-aware of their own sound. Moments that could appear cliche or silly when taken on their own become subtle barbs and understated wit when heard in context.

"Information First"

"Living in a Magazine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Y4Abtf7_A

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Why does the cover look like a Jonas Brothers album?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I thought I just explained that..

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

englishozzy
Children Collide, "Theory of Everything"
, 2010

Watched them perform at Big Day Out a few years ago and instantly downloaded their catalogue, still a very young and fresh band but if they keep producing albums like this it wont take them long to be bigger.
Was that 2011 when they played on the indoor stage at the showgrounds? Terrible accoustics unless you were right at the front and it was jam packed (still managed to squeeze my way close enough though). Despite the stage/sound problems it was a great performance. Anyway I think Children Collide are the best Australian band from the last five years, and their debut, The Long Now, was very, very, close to making this list. Still think this is a great album too with My Eagle being my favourite track.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:
When you justify why all my picks are bad by saying "I've heard it before" or "it's not original enough," that is just the impression that I get. Just because something is not this ground-breaking, different and almost outright weird, you will hate it. Not because it sounds bad, just because it sounds like something you may have heard before. You do seem to hate everything that mainstream people like because it's not "different" enough. You treat it as beneath you, it's exactly the same way you treat movies.
This has to be the silliest and most easily disprovable thing you've ever said.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Yeah, it's very throwaway pop. Not my thing.

Ozzy: Not a fan of MCR at any stage of their career (their cover of Dylan's Desolation Row was an atrocity). The second song started off well but when they went for the bombastic chorus they lost me again.

Geez: One of several bands I expected to appear in this project and wanted to hear more of. I have no Led Zep albums. I really liked Misty Mountain Hop, and I'd never heard it before. Love how the dischordant vocals harmonise and blend into the song. And of course Rock N Roll is a classic, even if all those wedding bands try to ruin it. Even though this may be over-rated, is it their best album? Where's best to start with these guys?

Leetsu: I agree, it is under-rated. It's far better than Monster, though doesn't have the great writing that was present in Automatic. But it was good to hear them try to push themselves. Love E-Bow the Letter.

NSpan:. Two surprises. The first Willie Song was very 70s rock, and in a good way. The seconds felt like traditional country to me, a genre I've yet to fully appreciate (I'm still stuck in alt-country). And the Zoot Woman tunes were a surprise in that they didn't sound like your thing. Then again, I did hear some modern The Rapture in there, so perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise. The first song reminded me of mid 80s New Order a lot. Definitely decent stuff, though. Seems like these guys foreshadowed the "chillwave" movement that's going on now, where synthpop is laden with a sense of nostalgia, but can often be quite enjoyable.

Ron B: This sounds familiar to me. Must have heard it before somewhere. It was okay.

SS: An excellent album. Did you know McKaye's new band The Evens has a new record out this year?

Tranny: Great stuff. The second song doesn't come close to Voodoo Chile, so not sure if I'm convinced about the album. But I suspect there will be more of this to come....

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Shania Twain, "Come On Over", 1997 - I'm sorry, my dear, but I've got no words for this. Well I do, but... I mean, if you were a fifty year old woman spending your evenings at home stroking your ...cats, maybe I could understand. Maybe. But man. Man. This is better than The Color And The Shape? I suppose someone had to have bought it to be so successful. Or maybeI'm missing something. If I play it backwards do I get a message from the devil? Or is that what I'm already hearing. Oh, I am cruel...

englishozzy My Chemical Romance, "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge", 2004 - Hah! I own this. Or did, I think I traded it in (which given how I very rarely, if ever do that, is an indication on how I rate this record). I gave it a few listens, some of it was quite catchy pop, though it was not really anything more than that and I quickly got bored of the whole charade.

Geezer Led Zeppelin, "IV", 1971 - Took me a while to get around to listening to this properly. My parents owned it on record when I was younger, and I listened to it quite a bit then I presume, but due to my slow attempts to get into the bands work without oversaturating, I only began listening to this a couple of years ago. But now it's an absolute favourite, and seems to be on continuous rotation. Definitely a more excessive record that what had come previously, but they manage to mix their blues influences with their prog sound perfectly. Great pick!

Leestu REM, “New Adventures in Hi-Fi”, 1996 This record came very close to making my own countdown. Criminally underrated record, if you ask me. It feels like a soundtrack to some midwestern sprawling road movie, and with it's centrepiece in "Leave" it has one of the bands best songs. A beautiful record; sombre, aching and gut wrenching. I love it!

NSpan Zoot Woman, "Living in a Magazine", 2001 - Like six said, I definitely hear a New Order vibe. Didn't really do anything for me though, I'm afraid. Didn't really have a hook, just kind of went by me without even noticing.

numbersix Swans,"My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to the Sky", 2010
I first heard about these guys a couple of years ago, been meaning to listen to some of their stuff since then but never gotten round to it. To be honest it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Not that it's a bad thing. It sounded like something which belonged within a Nick Cave soundtrack, kind of a sprawling Americana blues. Very intriguing. Will definitely be listening to more of their work now.

Ron Burgundy Pendulum, "Immersion", 2010
A couple of years ago these guys seemed to be the bees knees. Kind of mixing electro dance with rock. I'm not sure I'm sold on it, and I think I'd quite quickly get tired of it, I'm afraid.

transformers Jimi Hendrix, "Electric Ladyland", 1968 - I wasn't at all surprised to see his appear on your list. I'm sure you even had one or two of his songs on your 100 songs countdown, and you can definitely track the influences to some of your favourite artists. Another record which was very close to making my own cut, I tend to find this a better record than his more acclaimed album "Are You Experienced". Some really great songs on here, with a stunning Side 1 and 4 in particular. In fact, If anyone was wanting to pick up a hendrix record and wasn't sure where to start, I'd say start here, most of his best songs are on here.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.86

Alyson
Death Cab for Cutie, "Transatlanticism"
, 2003

Although I also love Plans - I have more memories of this album. There are probably "better" songs to pick from the album, but this song always makes me smile.

"Sound Of Settling"

englishozzy
No Doubt, "Tragic Kingdom"
, 1994

You will find all of the most popular No Doubt singles on this album and rightly so, it is just flawless from start to finish.

"Sunday Morning"

"Just a Girl"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

Geezer
Lynyrd Skynyrd, "(Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) "
, 1973

1.I Ain't The One – 3 stars
2.Tuesday's Gone – 5 stars
3.Gimme Three Steps – 4 stars
4.Simple Man – 5 stars
5.Things Going On – 3 stars
6.Mississippi Kid – 3 stars
7.Poison Whiskey – 3 stars
8.Free Bird – 5 stars

The debut album from the greatest Southern Rock Band of all time. It's got fuckin' Free Bird people! I'd have also played Tuesday's Gone or Simple Man, but I can't for the life of me find the studio version of either of them on Youtube. You'll just have to listen to the damn album!

"Free Bird"

BleedBlackandGold
Gallows, "Orchestra of Wolves"
, 2006

The debut from The best punk band to come out of the UK in a long Time Frank Carter was a madman Dark lyrics dark image dark everything! Hide your kids, Gallows is in town.

"Abandon Ship"

Leestu
Spiderbait, “Shashavaglava”
, 1992

One of the worst album titles on my list. I often seem to like a band’s debut album when they are more experimental, and still finding their way, rather than later, more polished efforts. Spiderbait are a case in point. Their later albums have a more mature sound and may have got the critical and commercial success, and they are quite good, but by the time they were released I was already a huge fan of this playful album with its use of grunge mixed with other genres with a bit of Australian larrikinism to it. I wanted to play the ska and country double of Ol’ Man Sam, and Old Man Sam, but I only have a choice of about four songs from the album that are on you tube, one of which is their version of Run from The Goodies.

“Old Man Sam”

“Run”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT3KXw9CVqI

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Devo,"Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"
, 1978

I’m going to be mentioning this era a lot during the countdown, and Devo’s debut album is a perfect example of what makes it so interesting. The record is a collection of punk rock songs turned on their heads. Both songs below show how they could write great rocks songs and then pull them entirely apart. Their cover of Satisfaction is one of the most unique and brilliant takes on the classic Stones song, showing how the entire meaning of a single can be revised. Devo didn’t make a concept album, rather they are a concept band, promoting our ascendancy into devolution, getting worse as opposed to better. And my are they fun.

"Mongoloid"

"Jocko Homo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaXiUHI-Og

Ron Burgundy
The Doors, "The Doors"
, 1967

"Break On Through (To The Other Side)"

silversurfer
Muse, "Origin Of Symmetry"
, 2003

I first heard about Muse when I was in my sixth form common room. They had just released their debut single "Sunburn" and were branded the face of British rock for the 21st Century on the Kerrang front cover. I was intrigued. I then got the chance to see them play the small band tent at Leeds Festival that same year. They absolutely blew the crowd away, and it was a huge crowd at that, completely overwhelming the capacity despite Oasis playing just a couple of hundred metres from them. I was converted. Skip forward a couple of years and when out at my local rock club I was handed a promotional video for their new single by someone who worked for Kerrang. It was called "New Born". At first, I was a little taken aback. This was nothing like I had come to expect from the band. It mixed hard rock with grandiose, operatic pop. But... it worked! Nowadays I've learned to only ever expect the unexpected from these guys, but man. Can they ever top Origin Of Symmetry? They touch on all the famous hallmarks of pop which is deemed embarrasing and to be avoided; pompous, pretentious prog-rock. But they make it work. And rock. Hard. Fuelled by space-age pianos and dirty, fuzz basslines, the record soars and crashes simultaneously, with Matt Bellamy's Jeff Buckley-esque falsetto voice reaching for the stars, and passing them, continuously. Extravagant and totally over the top, Origin Of Symmetry is always a blast to listen to.

"Citizen Erased"

"Bliss"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5CbhCSnv38

transformers
Kyuss, "Welcome to Sky Valley"
, 1994

Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age's first project was stoner rock/metal perfection. Think Led Zeppelin if they lived in the deserts of California, had a bit of a metal influence, and did a lot of psyhedelic drugs. This album is three long tracks (Movement I, II, and III ) with three or four parts that flow absolutely perfectly together. Although this album is best listened to from start to finish, the tracks hold up well on their own. The riffs are outstanding (which Homme continued in Queens of the Stone Age) and the songs are all really atmospheric and brilliantly written. You really can't get much better in the world of stoner rock than Welcome to Sky Valley.

"Gardenia"

"Odyssey"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9idFpd9kFOc
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 30th, 2012, 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Tut tut, SS, that is not the right album cover for the Devo record ;)

Try: http://www.chartstats.com/images/artwork/26675.jpg