Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by silversurfer19 »

Women are asleep, got a few minutes so the countdown is back again!

Album No.90

Alyson
Snow Patrol, "Final Straw"
, 2003

englishozzy
Fall Out Boy, "From Under the Cork Tree"
, 2005

Easily Fall Out Boy's best album, they seem to have lost their way with the past two albums but I always enjoy going back to this album.

"Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends"

"Dance Dance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MOKXm8x50

Geezer
Disturbed, "The Sickness"
, 2000

1.Voices – 4 stars
2.The Game – 5 stars
3.Stupify – 5 stars
4.Down With the Sickness – 5 stars
5.Violence Fetish – 4 stars
6.Fear – 4 stars
7.Numb – 3 stars
8.Want – 3 stars
9.Conflict – 3 stars
10.Shout 2000 – 3 stars
11.Droppin' Plates – 4 stars
12.Meaning of Life – 3 stars

I don't expect anyone to like this. Heavy rotation for me from my middle and high school days. Lots of nostalgia and certainly something I grab when I'm in the mood for something heavier than my norm.

"The Game"

"Down With The Sickness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw

BleedBlackandGold
Have Heart, "The Things We Carry"
, 2008

The Debut from the greatest hardcore band of the last 10 years.

Leestu
Grinderman, "Grinderman 2"
, 2010

Inspired by blues and garage rock, they released two albums and then announced the end, but what fantastic albums they are. The first album was impressive, featuring the awesome No Pussy Blues, but this follow up is even better. Warren Ellis is just amazing on guitar and other various stringed instruments. I actually recommend listening to Grinderman and Grinderman 2 back to back. What a double album that would have made! The album announces itself with Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man, and the first single, Heathen Child, has a video directed by John Hillcoat.

“Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man”

“Heathen Child”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKznZUtKntg

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date (3 days not enough?!) [wink]

numbersix
Pulp,"This is Hardcore"
, 1998

And so commences my 90 favourite studio albums proper. Pulp’s follow-up to their breakout Britpop record Different Class alienated a lot of those fresh on the bandwagon. Jarvis Cocker’s lyrical wit is still on overdrive here, but he applied it to the much darker themes of death and sex. And along with some incredibly catchy tunes there’s also evidence of a band willing to stretch themselves for the sake of exploration, particularly in the multi-part title track and in the wonderfully sexy and sleazy Seductive Barry (which veers from horrible chat-up lines to the brilliantly romantic).

"Seductive Barry"

"The Fear"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxPu7XIX2Pc

Ron Burgundy
T.I.S.M "Machiavelli and the Four Seasons", 2003

"Greg! the Stop sign"

silversurfer
Violent Femmes, "Violent Femmes"
, 1983

Violent Femmes were an act I first became aware of through their stunning single, "Blister In The Sun". I believe I first heard it at a local club I used to attend during the late 90s and was won over by it's arrestingly pop sound which can literally make anyone dance. I sought out the record soon after, and was delighted to find their debut record was just littered with other pop gems, from the brilliant "Gone Daddy Gone" and "Add It Up", to "Kiss Off","Prove My Love" and the heartbreaking finale "Good Feeling". How they managed to craft sublime melodies with an almost classic rock n roll, folk and punk sound is quite genius, and every single track on here displays those attributes to marvellous effect. One of my perfect records I used to always listen to before a night out.

"Prove My Love"

"Kiss Off"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMn8UPmSTo

transformers
Emperor, "In The Nightside Eclipse"
, 1994

Black metal is far from one of my favorite genres (I honestly only like about 8-10 black metal acts), but when it's good, it's really fucking good. Emperor's 1994 masterpiece In the Nightside Eclipse is one of the most sinister and haunting albums ever made. From the eerie symphonics and keyboards to vocalist Ishan's unholy shrieks, This album is a benchmark black metal that will never be topped by anyone within the genre. Side note: This is easily the most evil, intense and inaccessible album on my entire list, just to foreworn (Geez you honestly shouldn't even bother listening to this, you'll turn it off in 5 seconds or less).

"Beyond the Great Vast Forest"

"Towards the Pantheon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0SWdrD_uGs
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by englishozzy »

Loved

- Snow Patrol - Final Straw
- Disturbed - The Sickness

Liked

- Pulp - This is Hardcore
- Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'll listen later, but I'm so glad one of these albums showed up on someone's list other than my own, where it will be in the top 10.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Love the Violent Femmes album - "eight, eight, I forget what eight was for" - Classic!
The two Pulp songs were interesting, as Pulp songs always are. I have to get around to getting this album and Different Class. I only have His 'n' Hers and the compilation Hits. Thrilled that I got to see them live last year. Jarvis Cocker has such a great stage presence and it was an awesome show.
Ron - I would have thought All Homeboys are Dickheads was the way to go off this album, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6iMkeLWcnM, but just my opinion. Anyway great album with (He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River and Jung Talent Time being the highlights for me, but to tell you the truth I'm not much of a fan of Greg!...
The rest was listenable (well sort of for Emperor) with nothing standing out, good or bad.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Snow Patrol are the perfect example of a band that consciously sold out with this record. I've never heard such a cynical shift in sound. Disgraceful.

Ozzy: Guitar pop is not my thing. Unless it's the Beach Boys

Geezer: The first song sounded very industrial. Don't you hate NIN? Anyway, didn't appeal to me.

John L: It sounds like a less flamboyant metal band. I think I prefer hardcore in the 80s. This was only okay.

Leetsu: A great album. Nick's filthy rock-god act was a great departure for him. The only time I've seen him live was when he played the first Grinderman album in its entirely, then worked through his back catalogue. Good times.

Ron: I really didn't like that song. The problem with most comedy rock is that the music sucks, and the comedy isn't strong enough (Flight of the Cnchords is one of the few exceptions) and this was a perfect example.

SS: I'm pretty sure I've heard only 2 VF songs before this. Thanks for the reminder. Now I'll be getting this record.

Transformers: You know, if this band wasn't trying to prove itself with ridiculously fast playing, and wasn't trying to be a metal cliche with the screamy vocals, they wouldn't be half bad.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.89

Alyson
Counting Crows, "August and Everything After"
, 1993

englishozzy
Gotye, "Making Mirrors"
, 2011

Making Mirrors stands out as being a commercial and critical success and to show up already on this countdown just shows the success of this album.

"Eyes Wide Open"

"State of the Art"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWIKQMBBTtk

Geezer
Incubus, "Morning View"
, 2001

1.Nice to Know You – 4 stars
2.Circles – 3 stars
3.Wish You Were Here – 5 stars
4.Just a Phase – 3 stars
5.11 a.m – 4 stars
6.Blood on the Ground – 3 stars
7.Mexico – 4 stars
8.Warning – 5 stars*
9.Echo – 4 stars
10.Have You Ever – 3 stars
11.Are You In? - 4 stars
12.Under My Umbrella – 3 stars
13.Aqueous Transmission – 4 stars

Incubus was very near the top of all bands for me when I was in high school, and they still hold a pretty damn high spot in my heart. Morning View is an album I can just put on, zone out and listen to front to back when I need to relax.

"Warning"

"Mexico"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNuCGqwYbVE

BleedBlackandGold
The Replacements, "Tim"
, 1985

In my opinion the Replacements we're the clash of the 80's such an amazing band with so much power and influence .

Leestu
Greenday, “Dookie”
, 1994

Ahhh the nostalgia.........Obviously Basket Case and Longview are the highlights but we've all heard them, prossibly many times, and it’s all good so here’s a couple of album tracks.

“Chump”

“F.O.D.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbBgZJXYy4

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
David Bowie,"The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"
, 1972

Sometimes the most accessible record can be the best, as evidenced in Bowie’s masterpiece concept album. The story is of course the journey of Bowie’s alter-ego rock star, enabling the musician to get some distance from himself while still aesthetically purging. And there’s some brilliantly tender moments amongst the glam rock (Lady Stardust is a particular highlight), ensuring sonic diversity across a somewhat coherent idea.

"Moonage Daydream"

"Lady Stardust"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQvBzo_rJA

Ron Burgundy
Weezer, "Green Album", 2001

"Island In The Sun"

silversurfer
Interpol, "Turn On The Bright Lights"
, 2002

I first heard the buzz surrounding this band while I was making models in Uni, they were supposed to be the hot new thing for 2002 along with The Libertines, and for that reason alone I avoided this record for a good couple of months. I hate it when bands are tagged with "The Next Big Thing" label, as its rarely justified and usually a little unfair on a band. Eventually I did hear from them though, through their single Obstacle 1, and I loved how they had managed to weave the obvious Joy Division inspiration into something completely modern and 21st Century. It was immediate and addictive. When I picked up Turn On The Bright Lights, I discovered how much variety they had to their sound though, these were not just a one trick pony, with their slower songs such as "Stella" and "NYC" even surpassing the energy of their faster ones. Never get bored of this record, so many great songs which work so well together.

"NYC"

"Obstacle 1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoV4OhCqy5w

transformers
Guns N' Roses, "Appetite For Destruction"
, 1987

This is hard rock perfected. No shortage of memorable hooks, riffs, and fun on this record. With this album, Axl Rose cemented himself as one of the best vocalists in the genre and Slash rolled out some of the most famous guitar solos in music history (As well as doing the impossible and making tophats cool). Classic album that deserves every bit of praise thrown it's way.

"Night Train"

"Welcome to the Jungle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ioIylqRPXU

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

WOW easily the best day so far.... So many of these will be on my list, and even a couple that aren't were in consideration.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Nice picks here. Love Interpol and gotye. And leestu, yeah I knew I shoulda picked another track, Greg is just the biggest hit. I'll pick me favs from now on.
Oh, and ziggy is another great pick. And stuff I really need to more of is incubus and guns and roses.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Very good day, not one album i didn't enjoy.
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Meat Puppets
- II (1984)

1. "Split Myself in Two"
2. "Magic Toy Missing"
3. "Lost"
4. "Plateau"
5. "Aurora Borealis"
6. "We're Here"
7. "Climbing"
8. "New Gods"
9. "Oh, Me"
10. "Lake of Fire"
11. "I'm a Mindless Idiot"
12. "The Whistling Song"

The Meat Puppets gained some notoriety when Nirvana famously covered three of their songs on their Unplugged album. They also had major cross-over success with their '94 hit, "Backwater" (which, to my knowledge, has been permanently dropped from their setlist as its inclusion attracted an undesirable audience). The Puppets' first release was in 1982--the year I was born--and they're still around kicking today. In fact, the Kirkwood brothers put on a solid show even now. But, despite a long and successful career (with several truly great albums throughout the 80s), it's their second album that fans and critics generally agree to be their crowning achievement. On the surface, their sound is a blend of alt-country and psychedelic San Francisco folk-rock... but it's tied together with a killer hard rock'n'roll sensibility. Perhaps the most fascinating thing is that these guys were playing straight-up grunge years before the genre had any traction whatsoever--much less a name. These guys beat Green River, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., Soundgarden, and the Melvins to the punch. These latter bands would trade in the country twang for a bit more distortion, but the foundation had been laid. Any fan of the genre should familiarize themselves with the Meat Puppets' discography--and II is a great place to start.

"The Whistling Song"

"Oh Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4cK0Bsl1wA
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Snow Patrol, "Final Straw", 2003
I don't think you've ever played this for me (but, then again, you usually know just what I want to hear). This wasn't bad, I suppose. Nice melodies. Perhaps a bit "lite" for my tastes. And the ascending (inspirational?) crescendo isn't really my thing. That said, not nearly as bad as what I thought after seeing kids I've seen walking around sportin' "Snow Patrol" shirts.

englishozzy Fall Out Boy, "From Under the Cork Tree", 2005
The middle section actually got me a bit interested... but this just isn't my style.

Geezer Disturbed, "The Sickness", 2000
System of a Down Jr?

BleedBlackandGold Have Heart, "The Things We Carry", 2008
None for me, thanks. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the countdown... I'm sure we'll see some more common ground eventually.

Leestu Grinderman, "Grinderman 2", 2010
I've been meaning to check out Warren Ellis' other work for quite some time. Anyone involved in the score for The Proposition, the Road, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or even Lawless is an instant badass in my book. I'll listen to more of these guys soon! Nick Cave sounds surprisingly accessible here.

numbersix Pulp,"This is Hardcore", 1998
Oddly... theatrical? I originally got into these guys by way of--yikes--William Shatner. So I never dug too deeply. What I've heard warrants further inspection... but I'm definitely not "sold" just yet.

Ron Burgundy T.I.S.M "Machiavelli and the Four Seasons", 2003
I didn't particularly like "Greg the Stop Sign"--but these guys are growing on me.

silversurfer Violent Femmes, "Violent Femmes", 1983
Great album. In fact, my own comments will be made available sometime soon.

transformers Emperor, "In The Nightside Eclipse", 1994
Almost invariably, its the vocals that turn me off from this stuff. No problem with the music.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Redwalls
- The Redwalls (2007)

1 "Hangman" 3:13
2 "Modern Diet" 2:58
3 "Summer Romance" 3:24
4 "You Can't Forget Yourself" 3:39
5 "Put Us Down" 2:45
6 "Game of Love" 4:17
7 "Don't You Wanna Come Out" 2:47
8 "Into the Maelstrom" 3:35
9 "Little Sister" 5:19
10 "They Are Among Us" 3:31
11 "Each and Every Night" 3:17
12 "In the Time of the Machine" 4:26

At first listen, The Redwalls could be dismissed as purely derivative. And, even as a huge fan, I wouldn't argue with that decription... but I certainly wouldn't write them off for it. Yes, they utilize a style of music that doesn't necessarily belong to their generation (these guys are young). But they do wonderful things with it. They're creating great music that, perhaps, should have been made in the 1960s... but it wasn't. And, in my opinion, better late than never. If you're going to skip Looper because you've seen TimeCop (and believe that'll suffice for both), then you might apply the same logic here and miss out on a killer album. The band themselves casually dismiss their detractors in a line from "Modern Diet" (They say it's all been done before / They say it's all been done before / And there's really nothing new / I guess that's just your point of view). Not exactly a biting retort... but that's the idea. These guys are making good music and having a blast doing it. If I focused a bit too much on the negative in these comments, perhaps I'm saving some of my praises for another entry from these guys... (Side note: The band is currently on hiatus... but if they return, check 'em out live. Slick and professional through and through. Great show.)

"Summer Romance"

or if you prefer something a bit rougher around the edges... "They Are Among Us"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDN6sXRn7Vk

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Counting Crows, "August and Everything After", 1993
I'm always inclined to think that these guys came "after my time"... but they didn't. I just never really got into 'em. Featured track certainly ain't bad, though.

englishozzy Gotye, "Making Mirrors", 2011
I really, really tried to give this a chance. I just don't like the Police vibes that I get from it.

Geezer Incubus, "Morning View", 2001
The sound of "Warning" wasn't what I was expecting... and I actually kinda dug it. But I've heard enough Incubus to know that they probably aren't for me.

BleedBlackandGold The Replacements, "Tim", 1985
Great album. So great, in fact, I'll save my comments for when I feature it on my own list.

Leestu Greenday, “Dookie”, 1994
I enjoyed Green Day up to (and through) Dookie. However, I've so strongly disdained literally everything that came since in such a way that even the early albums now feel tarnished to my ears.

numbersix David Bowie,"The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", 1972
Great album. So great, in fact, I'll save my comments for when I feature it on my own list.

Ron Burgundy Weezer, "Green Album", 2001
This album has its share of highs... but I honestly believe Weezer ended after Pinkerton. As far as Weezer Lite goes, this works just fine.

silversurfer Interpol, "Turn On The Bright Lights", 2002
I also avoided these guys simply because of the unrealistically high-expectations set by the hype. What I've finally gotten around to listening to (including your featured songs) still hasn't really convinced me.

transformers Guns N' Roses, "Appetite For Destruction", 1987
Good pick! In hindsight, these guys were pretty ridiculous. But, at the time, they came off as very authentic (particularly in comparison to the truly overblown hair-metal acts that preceded them. Easily my favorite GNR. Good selection with "Night Train," too. I'm also a big fan of "My Michelle"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Counting Crows were always a chart pop band with a dash of edge, and never really gripped me.

Ozzy: I bet in 5 years time this will have dropped from your list. I just think that song made them the It band of last year and I don't think they have enough to last.

Geez: I was expecting throaty heavy rock but this was more restrained. Don't think it's very distincitve (and the tyrics are rubbish), but at least I was surprised!

John L: That was pretty cool. Like a mix between Springsteen and lighter The Clash. I know I'm supposed to like The Replacements, as they've influenced bands I like and are influenced by bands I like. Is this the best introduction?

Leetsu: It was okay, but I couldn't really get deep into these guys. It's surface fun.

NSpan: Those Meat Puppets songs were great. I'll be adding this record to my list.

As for The Redwalls, the problem isn't that they're derivative, but they seem derivative of the derivative rock revival of the early noughties as well. If you like them you should check out The Walkmen, who also have a singer that's going for the Eraly Rod Stewart sound. Still, they weren't bad, just not distinct enough to make me choose them over the influences. I've an album coming up much later that is also blatently derivative but still great. So I'm warning you now before you call me a hypocrite!

Ron B: A very nice song. Not as good as the earlier songs I've heard from them, but it was enjoyable.

SS: A really good album. Pity they've become a bit dull as of late. I remember downloading NYC as a free download and listening to it dozens of times over and over in anticipation for the album. They're Joy Division meets Duran Duran!

Tranny: I always felt GnR were fun for when you're an adolescent, and when you start listening to REAL music you put them aside. That was a pretty unfair dismissal, but I think Axl's descent into self-parody makes it hard to appreciate these guys on a non-ironic level.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote: As for The Redwalls, the problem isn't that they're derivative, but they seem derivative of the derivative rock revival of the early noughties as well. If you like them you should check out The Walkmen, who also have a singer that's going for the Eraly Rod Stewart sound. Still, they weren't bad, just not distinct enough to make me choose them over the influences. I've an album coming up much later that is also blatently derivative but still great. So I'm warning you now before you call me a hypocrite
Perhaps the two selections from my other featured Redwalls album might help change your mind. It's coming up relatively soon.

I actually own The Walkmen Bows & Arrows album. Not sure when/why I got it, and I haven't listened to it much. But I'll give it another spin right now. ...Annnnnnnd as I listen to "The Rat," I definitely see some major similarities. Not just in the approach, but the music itself is comparable. Interesting... I'll keep listening.

On a side note, which artists from the Rough Trade: Post-Punk mix have you explored? Aside from the bands that I already know (XTC, The Rapture, Pigbag, Liquid Liquid, The Pop Group, and--most recently--Public Image Ltd.), the bands that immediately made an impression included:

LiLiPUT
Mo-Dettes
Life Without Buildings
Au Pairs
Maximum Joy
Delta 5

Are any of them worth checking out?