Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (Thread #2) 90-81

Post by numbersix »

Definitely Au Pairs. Their 2 albums are great. If you wait a bit longer for the countdown you'll hear more from one of them.

Delta 5 as well.

Maximum Joy have a few good songs but nothing as good as what's on the comp.

I love that Life Without Buildings song but never explored more.

Mo-Dettes are hard to find. Only one album and it's rare. I have heard a few other songs and they're good, but not as good as White Mice.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Snow Patrol, "Final Straw", 2003
Like six mentioned, these guys just kind of sold out on this record, and for me the music really suffers for it. I've heard quite a number of tracks from the record and for me it's just way too poppy. They'd seen how successful Coldplay had become and thought, "I want a bit of that". Their music videos even scream of Coldplay. Much prefer what came previously.

englishozzy Fall Out Boy, "From Under the Cork Tree", 2005
Really just don't like this band, sorry. The epitomised all that was wrong with rock at the time, and to top it off the music wasn't particularly catchy nor was the singer's voice appealing.

Geezer Disturbed, "The Sickness", 2000
A little too heavy for my liking, but nothing particularly unpleasant. I'd heard Down With The Sickness a lot when it was first released, and I would never turn it off, just wouldn't particularly go for this type of music off my own back.

BleedBlackandGold Have Heart, "The Things We Carry", 2008
Sounded like lots of acts from that period, didn't really stand out, I'm afraid.

Leestu Grinderman, "Grinderman 2", 2010
I've had both Grinderman records on my Amazon wish list for a long time, I think it's about time I got myself to listening to more of their work, as this really appeals to me, much more than Nick Cave's Bad Seeds work. It also reminds me to get around to listening to some more of Dirty Three, as their music is similarly addictive.

NSpan Meat Puppets, "II", 1982
I LOVE this record. Obviously, like most, I got into the record through Nirvana, but man, I really enjoy throwing this on. Great music, so many layers, man. I'll be talking about this later...

numbersix Pulp,"This is Hardcore", 1998
I was so close to placing this on my own list. Easily my favourite Pulp record, as while Different Class has the hits and catchy melodies, this record as a whole is just majestic. For some reason when I listen to it I am always transported to a David Lynch movie. I think this would have been a perfect soundtrack to something like Mulholland Drive.

Ron Burgundy T.I.S.M "Machiavelli and the Four Seasons", 2003
I dunno, I just don't really get the appeal. Seem far too much like a comedy act without the catchy hooks to at least keep me interested.

transformers Emperor, "In The Nightside Eclipse", 1994
Some really interesting things going on musically. A little of folk, the guitars were interesting, just don't like the vocals. Otherwise I'd be really keen to check out more of their work.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson Counting Crows, "August and Everything After", 1993
Didn't these guys do the cover of "Big Yellow Taxi"? I don't think I ever really liked the band, nothing particularly offensive, just nothing to really grab me either.

englishozzy Gotye, "Making Mirrors", 2011
Man, these are everywhere in NZ right now, I mean, they are so hot right now. Doesn't appeal to me though, I've tried a few tracks of theirs and again it just doesn't appeal.

Geezer Incubus, "Morning View", 2001
I own this record, and for me it's definitely the best of what I have listened to. Always a good record to listen to when driving, especially tracks like Nice To Know You, Echo and Warning. Might give it another spin today, actually, as it's been a while. Good pick.

BleedBlackandGold The Replacements, "Tim", 1985
Freaking great record. I love how they managed to refine their sound from the first record and still sound fresh and interesting. More to come later.

Leestu Greenday, “Dookie”, 1994
Haven't listened to this record in a very long time. And I think it's better that way. This record was a record for my teens and I imagine if I listened to it again it's lost its impact. Can't deny how much I love Longview, though.

NSpan The Redwalls, "The Redwalls", 2007
I've listened to a little of this band's work, just hasn't really grabbed me yet. Always feel like a second tier garage rock band. Will give them another go though, as it has been a while and maybe it'll appeal to me a little more now the garage rock scene has ended.

numbersix David Bowie,"The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", 1972
I've only recently gotten around to purchasing this record, and still haven't listened to it nearly enough. But I have enjoyed what I've heard, definitely sits alongside Bowie's other records such as Hunky Dory and Low.

Ron Burgundy Weezer, "Green Album", 2001
Like NSpan mentioned, this was the beginning of the end for Weezer as we know it. I can't help but feel the Weezer I love died with the departure of Matt Sharp. Whether that's just coincidence and Rivers just hasn't been able to recapture this early magic. Can't deny there aren't great songs on here, though, as Hash Pipe was a staple of my youth playlist, and while the first four tracks in themselves are great,as soon as Crab hits the record I just lose interest, and for a short record (in terms of time length), that's not great. Very listen to the record anymore, infact. Still would have made a great EP for those first four tracks in themselves. I do hope the Weezer I love can come back one day with a great album, for I just don't see it happeneing again, those first two records set the bar too high.

transformers Guns N' Roses, "Appetite For Destruction", 1987
I love this record. Not enough for it to grace the countdown, but it's always a lot of fun.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Alyson - I only really know the hits, which I like, and I liked this song too. I should check out more.
Ozzy - Completely agree with everything you said, though I think Dance Dance is one of the album's worst tracks.
John - It's just so ANGRY.
Leestu - bored me, sorry.
NSpan - Ya know, I should probably look more into them. I guess its always just been a case of "Nirvana perfected what they were trying to do, so why should I go back and listen to them when I can already listen to perfection?" But I dug it. Sometimes music just needs to be forced upon me. Just ask my brother. Definitely have heard Nirvana cover Oh Me on the Unplugged album, and as you'd probably expect from me, I do think they did a better job, not that this was bad by any stretch.
Ron - I don't know what the hell that was, but I liked it. And for some reason, I just think this SCREAMS you.
Surfer - another band that I have no excuses not to listen to more of other than that time is short. It's going on the list. Kiss Off was excellent.
Tranny - WRONG SIR! I made it 22 seconds!

Alyson - Why haven't I listened to this whole album? Beats me, but it is going on the list.
John - Who would have thought two years ago that this would be higher up on my list than yours? You introduced me to this band, and it was one of the greatest moments of my life. I only wish I had been listening to this since I was born. There's three songs on this record that hold up to everything ever recorded, and you displayed one of them. Fuck that is a great song. P.S. no one steal Here Come's A Regular from me, if one of the others who is choosing this record happens to list it before me ;)
Leestu - This is far, far too low.
Six - Can it be? Is this possible? An album from Six that I not only like, I LOVE? Which was in contention for my list, but ultimately missed the cut. Shocker!
Ozzy - It's just kinda boring. Pleasant and all, but I think I'm just jaded by how much airtime this guy gets for being unspectacular.
Ron - Definitely the third best Weezer Album. Which wasn't quite enough to make my list, but still great.
Surfer - I hate this band, sorry. Just annoying.
NSpan - I loved loved LOVED the first song. And the second was pretty darn good too (although I definitely hear what you are saying with the "this sounds straight out of the 60's" sound with that one). I will definitely be looking further into this one.
Tranny - You all know this is going to be on my list, it's only a matter of how high it will be ;)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Six, I'll say that yes, Tim is the best intro to the Replacements, if you don't want to just listen to their greatest hits, which is how I got into them.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.88

Alyson
Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape"
, 1997

This album has already been featured on the countdown - i expect there may be a good amount of overlap as we move up the countdown - i know nick and I overlap a bit. But anyways - most of my favorites are based on emotional ties to the music - this one takes me back to summers in highschool, driving in my friend's jeep and playing with fireworks.

englishozzy
Children Collide, "Theory of Everything"
, 2010

Watched them perform at Big Day Out a few years ago and instantly downloaded their catalogue, still a very young and fresh band but if they keep producing albums like this it wont take them long to be bigger.

"Loveless"

"Arrows"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKmSbYNAzAw

Geezer
Linkin Park, "Meteora"
, 2003

1.Foreward – N/A
2.Don't Stay – 4 stars
3.Somewhere I Belong – 4 stars
4.Lying From You – 4 stars
5.Hit The Floor – 2 stars
6.Easier to Run – 4 stars
7.Faint – 5 stars
8.Figure.09 – 3 stars
9.Breaking the Habit – 5 stars
10.From the Inside – 3 stars
11.Nobody's Listening – 4 stars
12.Session – 2 stars
13.Numb – 5 stars

Another pick that I'm absolutely positive will be unpopular here because it is poplar in the real world. Linkin Park, for me, were a band that came on really strong from the get go, made two phenomenal albums, then got so stuck in what made them famous that they failed to grow as a band after that. So I haven't even really listened to much of their newer material, even as they keep cranking it out. But I still listen to the first two, and they are still great to me.

"Numb"

"Faint"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYU-8IFcDPw

BleedBlackandGold
Lit, "A Place in the Sun"
, 1999

A 90's Rock classic Lit are as cool as they come

Leestu
The Specials, “The Specials”
, 1979

The best ska album ever....produced by Elvis Costello.

“Stupid Marriage”

“Too Much Too Young”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-t6i1GVCww

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Television,"Marquee Moon"
, 1977

When I think of Television, I think of the duelling guitar style they perfected. It has influenced dozens of modern guitar bands (Bloc Party, Interpol, The Strokes, etc.). Combine that perfection with the perfectly imperfect vocals of Tom Verlaine (not to mention the incredibly catchy rhythm section), and you’ve got a high-brow rock band that also manage to feel raw and real. This record centres around the 10-minute title track, but I needed to skip that song to fully appreciate what else is going on in this superb album.

"Torn Curtain"

"Marquee Moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlbunmCbTBA

Ron Burgundy
Powderfinger, "Odyssey Number 5"
, 2000

"Like A Dog"

silversurfer
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Fever To Tell"
, 2003

Sleazy, sexy, dirty and wild. Man, the debut record from The Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a vibrantly intoxicating affair. I first stumbled upon this band through a friend who handed me a copy of their first release, an self titled EP. It contained such raucous energy I had to seek out their full length the day it was released. And man, if this isn't the best disco infused, punk rock inspired lightning paced explosion of energy released this century, then I don't know what is. Karen O, the epitomy of a front woman with the bravado of something in between Debbie Harry, Siouxie Soux and Kim Deal, and the talent to match, she wails and howls like a banshee through most of the record, only taking moments to catch her breath on the likes "Maps", and her energy is only matched by Nick Zimmer's furious guitar riffs. It's such an infectious record, and an instant reminder of just how fun music can be.

"Rich"

"Pin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzpERMwrJk

transformers
Stone Temple Pilots, "Purple"
, 1994

The most underrated band from the grunge era's best work.

"Interstate Love Song"

"Big Empty"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHFA4sbKTs
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 30th, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote:Six, I'll say that yes, Tim is the best intro to the Replacements, if you don't want to just listen to their greatest hits, which is how I got into them.
Depends. Let It Be and Tim are two completely different albums, both with their own qualities. The former is rawer, more punk, while Tim seems them move into alt-rock territory.Which is the best I would say is subjective, but both are worthy of one of the most influential bands of the 80s. Get them both, six!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Geezer wrote:Six, I'll say that yes, Tim is the best intro to the Replacements, if you don't want to just listen to their greatest hits, which is how I got into them.
Depends. Let It Be and Tim are two completely different albums, both with their own qualities. The former is rawer, more punk, while Tim seems them move into alt-rock territory.Which is the best I would say is subjective, but both are worthy of one of the most influential bands of the 80s. Get them both, six!
Hah! Will do.

One thing that just struck me is that Youtube has killed the Best of recod, at least for me. I used to get compilations to introduce myself to an act, but don't need to anymore. Whatever I like best from a few listens on Youtube and I make up my mind. In fact, I've one record that is on this list solely because I listened to all of it on Youtube (I will buy it, though).

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Alyson: Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape", 1997 - Definitely a record i think will be appearing a number of times on the countdown, and with good reason. I love this album, it marked the moment for me where Dave Grohl finally stepped out from Cobain's shadow and proved his full value as a musician. Great, catchy songs with some real pop gems.

englishozzy - Children Collide, "Theory of Everything", 2010 - Haven't heard of these guys before. This was pretty decent, the second track reminded me quite a bit of Dogs or perhaps Nada Surf. While nothing earth shattering was a very pleasant listen, will keep an ear out for more of their work most definitely.

Geezer Linkin Park, "Meteora", 2003 - I'll admit I don't actually mind Linkin Park. I know they are all that is wrong with the music world and that their brand of Nu Metal came at one of the worst periods in music of recent years. But for some reason I don't hate them. They are, quite fittingly, the Transformers of the music scene. And like the first movie, I know I shouldn't like their music, but it is catchy. A friend of mine had the cd when it was first released and played it to death, and while I'd never go out and purchase it, like then, I can still quite happily listen to songs on this record. Not a bad pick.

Leestu The Specials, “The Specials”, 1979 - I know I should listen to more of The Specials, as I'm a fan of Rudy and Too Much Too Young, but I think overall the Ska elements always seem to put me off. Stupid Marriage did nothing to alter that. It's a shame, as I know there is probably lots to take from the band, but there is just that block I get with them every time.

numbersix Television,"Marquee Moon", 1977 - You are quite right, Television influenced so much of what has emerged in guitar rock during this millenium, their fractured melodies are fantastic, I could listen to the title track over and over, it's so brilliant. Torn Curtain is a great way to close the record too, so much passion and full of yearning. Love it.

Ron Burgundy Powderfinger, "Odyssey Number 5", 2000 - From what I've heard of Powderfinger, I really don't have much to say about them. They are just a bit 'meh' for me, never really had any real attraction to them. This didn't do very much to change that, just sounds like of radio friendly music without much bite.

transformers Stone Temple Pilots, "Purple", 1994 - STP were a band I knew of when I was growing up because of Interstate Love Song, but for some reason i didn't get round to picking up this album until a couple of years ago. To be honest I haven't listened to it very often. Never had the same impact of that song. I should probably get it out again and give it another whirl, as playing those two songs again was a decent reminder that there were definitely some decent songs on the record.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

==Crossovers==

Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
Linkin Park - Numb

==Liked==

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Fever to Tell
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Love how Geez attempts to justify his picks by implying he's some sort of voice of the common man, and how we don't like music because it's "popular". Well, since you're the voice of the populace I'm looking forward to you placing the Dirty dancing soundtrack, Shania Twain's Come On Over, and Maria Carey's Music Box (all of which have sold more than Linkin Park's entire catalogue) in your Top 10.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alyson: A decent record. Nothing compared to Nirvana, but My Hero is a great rock song. One of my first ever gigs was these guys headlining a day-long festival.

Ozzy: Not bad. Like a mix between Interpol and Coldplay.

Geezer: Not a fan of anything nu-metal. As a genre it tends to sound very over-produced. The lyrics are usually incredibly emo, and in this case the blend of rap and metal never quite works.

Leetsu: Those two songs were pretty damn similar. Similar themes, similar sound. That's the problem with ska, it was so restrictive that it's hard to find anything different or exciting about it. I like it best when it's incorporated into punk, like The Clash's Police and Thieves or Rudie Can't Fail.

Ron B: It was okay, a little bit of classic rock, a little bit of Queens of the Stone Age. Can't say it's memorable.

SS: A really solid debut album. The two songs you picked are incredibly catchy and rock hard. Their subsequent records weren't as good but I still enjoyed them immensely.

Tranny: Thought it was Pearl Jam for a second. Anyway, with the exception of Nirvana I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of grunge. It never sounds exciting enough or dramatic enough. Though these songs weren't bad they just didn't grip me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:Love how Geez attempts to justify his picks by implying he's some sort of voice of the common man, and how we don't like music because it's "popular". Well, since you're the voice of the populace I'm looking forward to you placing the Dirty dancing soundtrack, Shania Twain's Come On Over, and Maria Carey's Music Box (all of which have sold more than Linkin Park's entire catalogue) in your Top 10.
Hah! You'll never guess what's coming up today....

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.87

Alyson
Shania Twain, "Come On Over"
, 1997

Probably going to be another very unpopular pick, but man, this CD lived in my Walkman CD player for quite a while and I still enjoy it. It's light and enjoyable and girly - and therefore I find it wonderful.

englishozzy
My Chemical Romance, "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge"
, 2004

You can accuse MCR of selling out with this album but I found that they did well bringing their music to a more commercial stage, and if that means they make millions of dollars on their way then so be it.

"Helena (So Long & Goodnight)"

"Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKw_konZphs

Geezer
Led Zeppelin, "IV"
, 1971

1.Black Dog – 4 stars
2.Rock And Roll – 5 stars
3.The Battle of Evermore – 3 stars
4.Stairway to Heaven – 4 stars
5.Misty Mountain Hop – 5 stars
6.Four Sticks – 3 stars
7.Going To California – 5 stars
8.When The Levee Breaks – 3 stars

An overrated album, from an overrated band, containing an all-time overrated song. None of that prevents this album from being truly great, just not as great as many others have claimed it to be.

"Misty Mountain Hop"

"Rock and Roll"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonQSHxzb1k

BleedBlackandGold
Love Equals Death, "Nightmerica"
, 2006

This bands first and only album struck a cord with their AFI influenced sound and dark subject matter.

"Bombs Over Brooklyn"

Leestu
REM, “New Adventures in Hi-Fi”
, 1996

It might not have any big selling singles on it but REM’s tenth studio album is the complete album listening experience not the listen for your favourite songs. A great album from beginning to end.

“Undertow”

“The Wake-up Bomb”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAP15fXKXE

NSpan
To Be Added At Later Date

numbersix
Swans,"My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to the Sky"
, 2010

Swans started as a sort of no-wave droney metal band that I can only describe as scary. The intensity remained as the band developed their sound. None of this mattered to me, though, as I was pretty ignorant of their existence. But in 2010 frontman Michael Gira decided to return to his band’s name (he had been operating solo for a while) and churn out an album partly crowdsourced. My Father Will Guide Me… is an explosion of noise, but noise that is ultimately sculpted with care. Layers of muscular guitars churn and shift like metallic symphonies, with Gira shouting and ranting about the hypocrisy of religion. Added to Swans core sound was a new influence of traditional blues, making this record sound like a mix between Godspeed You Black Emperor, Metallica and early Nick Cave.

This is a powerful record from an act’s second wind, which continues strong with this year’s brilliantly bloated The Seer. But it’s this album that introduced me to a world of music I shouldn’t have missed. And if you ever have the opportunity to see Swans live, take it. Gira is as intimidating as it gets.

"Jim"

"Eden Prison"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09thR2JYGYc

Ron Burgundy
Pendulum, "Immersion"
, 2010

"Watercolour"

silversurfer
Fugazi, "Repeater"
, 1990

I'm pretty sure everyone on here now recognises how important Fugazi were as a punk band from the early 90s, and how much of an influence they had upon what was to follow in the alt-rock and punk genre. And we all know how politically charged their records were. But more than any of that. Man, they wrote some downright catchy riffs. Beneath the aggressive and raw vocals, songs like Turnover, Merchandise, and Blueprint just flowed with energy and intensity, with huge basslines and ferocious guitars emphasising that there was some truly intricate expertise on display on this record. Influential, anarchic and intense, but most importantly, damn fun!

"Turnover"

"Blueprint"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looSwGHulFI

transformers
Jimi Hendrix, "Electric Ladyland"
, 1968

Definitely going to catch some people off with this pick, but I love Jimi Hendrix. His guitarwork is mesmerizing and his style was the perfect blend of psychedelic, blues, and hard rock. Electric Ladyland was the last and finest of his legendary career that has lived on for 4+ decades since his passing.

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"

"Rainy Day, Dream Away"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqJl-FOYIA
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 30th, 2012, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Man... I take one little 16-hour nap after a bender, and I wake up to TWO new days' worth of selections. Someone tell Time to chill out and slow the fuck down.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.