Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Well it's been a long time getting round to it, but here we are finally, as the countdown begins for the Fantaverse's 100 favourite albums of all time. Hopefully we'll all have a great time presenting our favourite records, and just as much if not more fun unearthing some gems we either had heard of but never explored, or better still some entirely new records to us which just blow us away.

I've set myself quite a task trying to run this inbetween a job, a baby and a move half way around the world, but if there's one thing I thrive at, it's succeeding despite the pitfalls which present themselves to me. So amid the wet nappies, jet lag and stiff backs, I am thoroughly looking forward to this adventure into the world of the album; a cohesive piece of work which binds together an artist's vision at a particular moment with spellbinding songs and bedazzling melodies. Should be a lot of fun.

So 100 days. Over 1,000 records. At this moment in time, we have eleven Fantaversians who have succumbed to the task of devulging in their 100 favourite albums. From now until the end of the year (well, some point in the future depending on my move), we will be showcasing exactly one record per person per day, until we reach everybody's #1. The people involved at this time are:

Alyson
englishozzy
Geezer
John Lengieza
Leestu
NSpan
numbersix
Ron Burgundy
silversurfer
transformers

Okay, on with the first of many....
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 10th, 2012, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.100

Alyson
ZZ Top, "Tres Hombres"
, 1973

englishozzy
Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
, 2006

"Black Fingernails, Red Wine"

"New York"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqX3yVpTU_w

Geezer
Creed, "My Own Prison"
, 1997

1.Torn – 4 stars
2.Ode – 4 stars
3.My Own Prison – 5 stars
4.Pity for a Dime – 3 stars
5.In America – 2 stars
6.Illusion – 3 stars
7.Unforgiven – 2 stars
8.Sister – 4 stars
9.What's This Life For – 5 stars
10.One – 5 stars

I already have a strong suspicion that I'm going to get slammed for this, but fuck it. I like Creed, despite the millions of people out there who hate them. I think they were a genuinely great modern rock band in the late 90's, and their debut album kicked ass and was in heavy rotation on my cd player back in the day. Heavy nostalgia score and the hits still rock to this day. Bring it on, they will always be one of my guilty pleasures.

"One"

"What's This Life For"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCfmkTOtOlo

John Lengieza
Boston, "Boston"
, 1976

Usually I'm not much a fan of radio friendly rock especialy when it's as produced but something about Boston's first record just stands out. Outrageous effects, Brad Delp's Amazing vocals , the catchy guitars or maybe its just the fact that their from my home state of Massahuttes . Plus the album cover is awesome (More Than a feeling)

"More Than A Feeling"

"Rock N Roll Band"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUxlyy-RagU

Leestu
Various Artists, "Music from the Motion Picture Juno"
, 2008

After long consideration and a lot of indecisiveness I have ended up choosing to include this album despite it being a various artists compilation. After all, this is a music list on a movie site and it seems sort of appropriate to start my countdown with a movie soundtrack. Rarely does this happen but after seeing this movie I just had to get the soundtrack. I thought the music was the best thing in the movie…and I liked the movie a lot. With about half the album being tracks from Kimya Dawson and her bands, Antsy Pants, and The Moldy Peaches, it has a cute, quirky, folksy feel. The amateurish simplicity brings to mind the intimacy of listening to a few friends with a quitar playing around a campfire, or in your loungeroom. It’s great to hear some honest music with mistakes included sometimes. And fitting in nicely and complementing the feel of this album are some great older songs including “A Well Respected Man” by The Kinks,” All The Young Dudes” by Mott The Hoople, and “I’m Sticking With You” by The Velvet Underground. Also worth mentioning is Sonic Youth doing a sublime cover version of The Carpenters “Superstar”. I have chosen a song which I think displays this:

"Loose Lips" by Kimya Dawson.

…and if you haven’t heard it before here is a link to Sonic Youth doing The Carpenters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs9eh82buls and even if you have it’s always worth hearing again!

NSpan
The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour"
, 2010

numbersix
Low & Spring Heel Jack,"Bombscare EP"
, 2000

Often collaborative records can end up in both bands never gelling with each other and just providing us listening audience with a mediocre effort. Low, having already broadened their sound with the 1999 album Secret Name, surprised everyone by teaming up with adventurous electro act Spring Heel Jack to make an album that doesn’t quite sound like either artist. Instead we get a soothing and beautiful EP with some wonderful and unconventional arrangements.

"So Easy (So Far)"

Ron Burgundy
M83, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming"
, 2011

An album i only just found recently and it could be higher up on this list if were not for that reason alone. This dreamscape type electro pop is great thanks to the subtle deviations and micro explosions of electric warmth. Only now am i delving into the rest of his discography.

silversurfer
Grizzly Bear, "Veckatimest"
, 2009

I remember hearing about Grizzly Bear following the release of "Yellow House', the record which preceeded this one, on Metacritic. I seem to recall it was highly praised so I quickly sought it out to see what all the fuss was about. And while it was indeed something quite wonderful, with some beautiful indie pop moments, for some reason it just didn't grab me as I'd hoped. Nevertheless, there was something about the band that I found alluring, and wanted to look into further. Cue Veckatimest, one of the most lush and spellbinding records I had ever discovered. Orchestrating this record into a much more concise piece of work, with harmonising vocals and crashing percussion, the record flows so much better than what had come before, capturing their alarming ability for pop music in a much more refined manner. It's a beautiful record, blissfully swooning and and heartbreakingly melodic, reminiscent of The Beach Boys even, as they invite the close of a long summer and welcome what is to come next.

"All We Ask"

transformers
Suffocation, "Pierced From Within"
, 1995

Of course I have to start off my list with a record that is going to go over horribly amongst the community! I wouldn't have it any one way (wink). Suffocation is the epitome of old-school, brutal yet technical death metal. Their first record Effigy of the Forgotten is a classic as well, but their third record Pierced From Within is when they really hit their peak. This is about as heavy, grimy, and just plain evil as death metal gets. Vocalist Frank Mullen is an icon for revolutionizing death growls and just about everyone tries to sound like him even 15+years later. Guitarist Terrence Hobbs achieves immense heaviness with his catchy yet insanely heavy riffs (Album standout "Thrones of Blood" is the best example of this) and great solo work. Suffocation is one of the pioneering death metal acts and this album is an extreme metal classic.

"Thrones Of Blood"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgOjtZay9a8
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 11th, 2012, 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by Buscemi »

Surfer, I'm not doing the countdown. Just the radio station. The link is on my signature.

But oh god, Creed? This makes my love of something like Lily Allen's It's Not Me, It's You or Adele's 21 seem like a good thing.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Oh, I thought you were. That's a shame. Can you delete this thread, I made a mistake, it should all be in one thread.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I merged the two and deleted the duplicate listing.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hey SS, I've noticed that Youtube videos may not embed if the link starts with https instead of http. So just delete the s and they should work.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Just so you know, Boosch, Spotify has limitations in Ireland, the UK, and France, so I won't be able to listen to your picks.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thanks guys, still getting the hang of all this admin work. Where's Shryke when you need him...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

numbersix wrote:Just so you know, Boosch, Spotify has limitations in Ireland, the UK, and France, so I won't be able to listen to your picks.

The only limitations that I knew of were a maximum of 10,000 songs. Also, there are not "my picks" but simply an attempt at a radio station.

Also, I figured that Spotify had total clearance of Europe (since it is based in Sweden).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Nope. Every country has different rules in terms of music rights, so you can access Spotify but only for a few songs. So it's essentially useless for me.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

That's too bad. Hopefully, something can be done about that.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Had a listen to the first batch of songs....

Englishozzy: A nice start to the countdown. I'm not familiar with the act. Sounds like alternative rock in the 80s, like Simple Minds or INXS.

Geez: Oh ho ho, how right you are. Although Creed aren't painfully bad, they're just very dull. Sounds like the rejects of a Pearl Jam session. And those lyrics were the product of an idealist 13 year old. Having said all that, it's not nearly as terrible as I expected. So there's something to celebrate ;).

John L: Not a fan of Boston, of that song, so I doubt I'd dig the album.

Leetsu: Moldy Peaches are a little too self-consciously cutsey for me, though I do like that Sonic Youth cover. Didn't like the film, though, so it may put me off the soundtrack.

Ron B: Yeah, not a bad album. Haven't heard all of it. It's very overwhelming.

SS: A great record. I prefer Yellow House, which almost made my Top 100. Love Foreground and Ready, Able. Some great instrumentation on this. They were obviously inspired by The Beach Boys ambition as well as plenty of folk.

Transformers: Well, I listened to it longer than the Creed song ;).

Oh, and I should clarify that my #100-#96 will be my five favourite EPs, my #95 - #91 will be my five favourite compilation albums, and then I'll be posting proper albums from then on.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Englishozzy: I dig it, man! Not something I've ever even heard of before but I definitely wanted to listen to the second song after the first. Guys, we should really all post a second song for this reason. Give us the next place to go. If I like both, I'll probably give the whole album a whirl. Which will happen here!

John (going by BleedBlackandGold, he is my brother afterall!): Excellent choice, as I assume most of yours will be. There will be a lot of crossover between our lists I'm sure.

Leestu: When I first saw Juno (which I love, one of my favorite movies of all time) the music was almost painful to me I thought it was so bad. But since then it has kinda grown on me, and it certainly fits the film. I don't particularly like the song you chose, but there is some other stuff that I do dig from the album.

Six: It's kinda funny, because I found your selection rather dull myself ;) I mean, its not terrible, and could certainly be a lot worse, but it's just so damn slow and the vocals sounded kinda muddled together. Not my thing I guess. We seem to share feelings about each other's first picks.

Ron B: this may come as a bit of a shock to most, but I fucking love that song. That hook is on fire! I've never delved any deeper into there stuff, but every time this is on the radio, I crank it up. Ron, point me to a second song please!

Surfer: I'm expecting some great things from you Surfer. However, this just never really grabbed me. Not bad, but not something that makes me want to rush out and listen to the rest of the album. Like Six's pick, I found it a little dull.

Tranny - The guitar work in the beginning was kinda cool, but I just don't get Death Metal. The growling just doesn't do it for me. I just don't know how anyone who is "singing" like that ever expects to be taken seriously. I find it hilarious.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BleedBlackandGold

Post by BleedBlackandGold »

Englishozzy: I personally don't like indie rock, it bores me to death. I hardly see it as the musical revolution of the modern day.
Ron B: My brother (not Geezer the other one) is a DJ (I know) he plays crappy music all the time but M83 is something I actually dig, good choice.
Surfer: Kinda bluesy, sounds like it'd be in an episode of Rescue Me, not bad.
Transformer: I have a love-hate relationship with metal, especially the really heavy stuff (you'll see that later). This is cool but I can't get into the vocals. Hail Satan!
numbersix: See what I said about Englishhozzy.
Geezer: Creed is top 10 worst all time, Grunge for pussies and shit lyrics on top of all of it. Hail Satan!!!
Leestu: Horrible, weird, lame soundtrack to a movie I really liked. I just could not stand the music especially when all the girl in the movie talks about was how 1977 was the greatest year in rock history and has a Bad Religion sticker in her locker!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Bright Light Social Hour
- The Bright Light Social Hour (2010)

1. Shanty - 5:45
2. Bare Hands Bare Feet - 3:23
3. La Piedra De La Iguana - 4:40
4. Detroit - 5:04
5. Men Of The Earth - 2:34
6. Back And Forth - 3:53
7. Men Of The Sea - 1:05
8. Garden Of The Gods - 9:43
9. Rhubarb Jam - 3:33

Also hailing from Austin, Texas, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that I knew these guys before I knew their music. Kate is buddies with the vocalist/bassist. I think that reason alone kept me from getting into this band any sooner than I did. "Want to come see my friend's band play?" is a question you hear WAY too often in Austin. And it's always a crapshoot. Most bars will book up to 3-4 bands every night, and the headlining band rarely hits the stage before midnight. Somehow I managed to come up with an excuse every single time I was asked to see this particular band. But after being given a mixtape of their music by another friend, I was blown away by their sound. Neglecting to remember that this was the same band that Kate had been begging me to see, I promptly informed Kate that I had personally discovered a new band and that we were going to see them live. What ensued after she realized that I was speaking of The Bright Light Social Hour is a story for another day.

The Bright Light Social Hour's debut album does a great job of capturing their onstage energy. While it doesn't entirely recreate the sensational live show that they've perfected over the years, it gives a good idea of what to expect. Their sound is an amalgamation of genres: disco, new wave, garage rock, the blues, etc. But, within their setlists (as also within the album's tracklist), not a single note feels out of place. And no matter the genre at the forefront of the sound at any given moment, it still maintains their signature style. These guys are at home in any environment, and they can take a club full of people who have never even heard of The Bright Light Social Hour become dancing, singing, diehard fans before the encore.

These guys are on the cusp of hitting it big, and they're currently working on their sopohomore LP. Here's hopin' they're a household name in 2013.

"Shanty"

"Back and Forth" (Note: this link provides the entire album to stream for free. "Back and Forth" is track 6)
http://www.thebrightlightsocialhour.com/music.html
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.