Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by Buscemi »

What is everyone's problem with Wild Honey Pie? Is it really a worse song than Revolution #9?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Apparently, according to Geez, they are equally bad.

and:
Ah I remember Mansun. They were one of the billions trying to be Radiohead. At times they were pretty decent (Wide Open Spaces in particular) but the music has not aged well. I tried giving Six a blast recently but it wasn't doing it for me. But bonus points for the Shine reference, I discovered Spiritualized through them.
Seriously, Radiohead? I don't know if you've even been listening to the band. This record was released prior to the release of OK Computer, the record where Radiohead stopped being a straightforward rock act and started to introduce electronic elements. So how would Mansun be trying to emulate The Bends era Radiohead? Grey Lantern sounds nothing like either The Bends or indeed My Iron Lung or Pablo Honey. It's an indie rock record driven by an eccentric, space aged electronic sound, with tongue in cheek lyrics. Not a tag I'd attribute to Radiohead. Lay off that whisky, man! [wink]

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Dude, I think you underestimate The Bends. Perhaps in hindsight is appears mainstream in comparison to the likes of OK Computer, Kid A, etc. But it's still a million miles away from a standard college rock record. Listen to songs like Planet Telex, My Iron Lung, etc. The Bends features sonic references to the same kind of acts Mansun are referencing: Bowie, Pink Floyd, some New Wave, etc. Radiohead also inserted a dash of irony in their music. Mansun just took that in different directions, made it slightly more camp and made the references even more evident. I definitely think they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Radiohead. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm pretty sure part of the profits of every Shine album went to Thom Yorke and co ;).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alyson: Started off like elevator music, but then actually developed quite nicely. Nice. Still a very passive sound for me.

English Ozzy: The first song had some decent hooks, the second lost my attention.

Geez: I've never given it a single listen, but it's probably my favourite Beatles record. Yes, it's full of throwaway material, but it's very much a comilation of studio experiments. And I think Wild Honey Pie is one of the highlights!

Leetsu: You introduced me to Mumford, who I really liked, but I've since gone off them a bit. I don't know, I think their style is a bit repetitive and hollow. Certainly not bad, but not interesting enough.

SS: Yeah, I've always used Idlewild as a good example of how to do things wrong. They don't have the hooks to make it a great rock record, they don't have the talent or imagination to make it a great alternative record.

Tranny: Not nearly as trashy as I expected. It sounded more like Metallica. Not exactly my type of music, but certainly listenable.

Disappointed by SS, liking Geez and Tranny's picks? What's going on in the Fantaverse?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

THAT's how they can afford to give their records away for free then!

And I'm not one to say The Bends is standard rock, I absolutely adore the record, it's one of my most played records, but I just don't really see the connection between the two records. Yes, Planet Telex was probably the song that shifted the band's focus, but even then I think theat just isn't really that close to where Mansun went with Grey Lantern. Perhaps you could attribute that to their sophmore release Six, but I just think Grey Lantern is much poppier and eccentric than that record.it's something we'll have to agree to disagree on, and probably one of the few on this countdown I imagine (I can't go into it right now, but I've been loving your picks so far, keep 'em coming).

I expected a slating for Idlewild from you though, so it was hardly surprising. Hopefully my next couple of records will tickle your fancy...

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Bends is basically a sequel to Pablo Honey (despite the band claiming otherwise). Nearly every song sounds like a variation of Thinking About You.

I had a similar problem with Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Nearly every song sounds like a variation of the title track.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I don't know how you could be so wrong on both counts, Boussh. I presume you are just trying to stir. Pablo Honey is Radiohead imitating Nirvana, The Bends sees them find their own voice and contains some of their most interesting songs. Just because there are a few ballads on there doesn't mean they are imitating Thinking About You. I mean, could you seriously believe any of My Iron Lung, The Bends, Just or Planet Telex sound even remotely like that song? And the ballads on The Bends take the band so much further than ever previously, with High And Dry, Fake Plastic Trees and Street Spirit some of the most delicately written songs ever. I just don't see a connection at all.

Ad I think you need to listen to Pink Moon again. Drake took his brand of folk to so many diffrerent places it's unreal. Listen to Parasite for one. That is such a haunting track and nothing alike the title track.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, Just, Planet Telex, Black Star, The Bends and My Iron Lung sound EXACTLY like Thinking About You. Exactly.

And don't worry SS, somehow I doubt the Mansun debate will cause a Seven Year War between us ;). Although thinking about it further, I'm sure Suede were also a huge influence on Mansun too.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Geez, I'm really confused how you have an album with that many low-rated songs on it on your list? I understand it's a 30-song album and the highs were really high, but for me at least I would never consider putting an album with that many songs I hate on my top 100 list.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

transformers2 wrote:Geez, I'm really confused how you have an album with that many low-rated songs on it on your list? I understand it's a 30-song album and the highs were really high, but for me at least I would never consider putting an album with that many songs I hate on my top 100 list.
Because it is a 30 song album and the skip button is very accessible. If they had narrowed the album down to the best 12-13 songs, it would be in the top 20. Having all the extra filler knocks it all the way back to here, but I just couldn't leave it off the list. I mean have you heard While My Guitar Gently Weeps? It's fucking incredible!

P.S. I only have 6 songs that are a one or a two. Out of 30, that isn't that bad. Not easy to find another album with at least 24 listenable tracks on it that isn't a compilation of some sort.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Aly - I stopped at the 3 minute mark. 2 stars

Englishozzy - I have this album! Like The Fake Sound of Progress better, but still pretty good stuff. Burn Burn is a 4, Make a Move is a 5.

Leestu - I actually purchased this album because of you. You introduced a lot of us to Little Lion Man well before it became a favorite among millions of American college hipsters. It didn't make my list, but I certainly love it. Although Dustbowl Dance is probably my least favorite song on the album, The Cave is very good.

Six - probably your best selection so far, I'll give it a 3.

Surfer - This is precisely the type of thing I'm hoping to discover from your countdown! I will be listening to the rest of this album, guaranteed. Roseability was a 5, fucking great! Little Discourage was a little discouraging (haha) just kidding, it was good too just not as awesome as the first track, 4 stars. Still want to listen to the full album.

Tranny - It's better than death metal! Still don't love it but at least I can understand the lyrics. 3 stars.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'd point you in the direction of These Wooden Ideas, Idea Track, and Actually It's Darkness as the other tracks from the record I think you would love, then Geez. Hopefully they match your anticipation.

BleedBlackandGold

Post by BleedBlackandGold »

Transformer MegaDeth Is probabbly my least favorith of the Big 4, still a good choice though.
Leetstu : This is probably the only "Radio Friendly" album I enjoyed that year, it's catchy and fun, we need more bands like these guys.
Geezer: I just can't get into the beatles, it's been force fed up my ass our whole lives that they're the greatest.
Alyson: no real opinion
English : good choice, good band
six: I just never could get into New Order and I only like 1 Joy Division song haha, not my thing.
SS: This is actully pretty badass, Its kinda got a cool Pixies vibe to it, I dig.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've added BleedBlackandGold's no.98 and no.97 if anyone has missed them.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

On Fugazi - Meh, didn't really do it for me. Not really my style. 2 stars

On FEAR - This sucked, sorry bro. 1 star.