Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by Buscemi »

Geezer wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Question: is Massachusetts really a decade and a half behind the calendar? I expected much better from you two.
What exactly is this supposed to mean?
You two picked Creed and Boston. Stereotypical groups that guys from there would like. Are you stuck in 1997 or something?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

There's 99 albums to come buddy. Calm down. I'm sorry if our picks weren't hipster friendly enough for ya.

P.S. My next pick is from 1978
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Ozzy: Eskimo Joe Black Fingernails/Red Wine (2006)-Not too shabby. Interesting mix of alt/pop rock with a definite 80's vibe to it. Not something I see myself getting super into, but I can definitely dig it to an extent

Geez: Creed My Own Prison (1998)-Good lord (no pun intended), didn't see this one coming. Sorry geez I just can't take Creed seriously at all or enjoy as them as a guilty pleasure. I do think their music is unintentionally hilarious because of the lyrics and how generic it is, but besides that I don't get any enjoyment of it.

John Lengeiza Boston Boston (1976)-I've never loved Boston, but this is definitely a classic record. Brad Delp has a very unique voice and Barry Goodreau is a hell of a guitar player (Random side note: He lives in my town and came to my middle school to talk/play on Career Day when I was in 8th grade, Pretty nice guy.)

Leestu Juno Soundtrack (2007)-I actually hated the soundtrack just as much if not more than the movie. I really, really hate this type of music (especially the Belle and Sebastian songs).

numbersix Low and Spring Heel Untitled Bombscare EP (2000)-No strong opinion on this, but it's not my bag really.

Ron B M83 Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (2011)-The synths are kind of cool, but I really don't like the vocals.

silversurfer Grizzly Bear Vecktamist (2009)-Way too indie for my liking.

Nspan-The Bright Light Social Hour-The Bright Light Social Hour(2010)-Holy shit, this was actually pretty good! The instrumentation is really interesting (it's blues, old-school country, and new wave together, didn't think that would work at all) and I can't really think of the last time I've heard anything like this. My favorite pick of the day for sure.

alyson-ZZ Top Tres Hombres-Billy Gibbons is hell of a guitar player and they are a huge influence of my favorite band Mastodon (their guitarist took a tiki-carving class with Gibbons in Hawaii and they also do a cover of "Just Got Paid"), but I just don't like ZZ Top. They do absolutley nothing for me even though I've given multiple chances.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.99

Alyson
The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour"
, 2010

"Bare Hands Bare Feet"

englishozzy
Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble"
, 2004

"Hannah"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9wK8CC0fQ

Geezer
The Ramones, "Road To Ruin"
, 1978

1.I Just Wanna Have Something to Do – 5 stars
2.I Wanted Everything – 4 stars
3.Don't Come Close – 3 stars
4.I Don't Want You – 3 stars
5.Needles and Pins – 4 stars
6.I'm Against It – 4 stars
7.I Wanna Be Sedated – 5 stars
8.Go Mental – 3 stars
9.Questioningly – 3 stars
10.She's the One – 4 stars
11.Bad Brain – 3 stars
12.It's a Long Way Back – 3 stars

The fourth album from punk rock pioneers, The Ramones. One of the greatest bands of all time, and certainly one of their best efforts, highlighted by "I Wanna Be Sedated," which may be my personal favorite song by the band. A much more pop sound to be sure, but it worked.

"I Wanna Be Sedated"

"I Just Wanna Have Something to Do"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NVkrLBbkkE

BleedBlackandGold
Lagwagon, "Lets Talk About feelings"
, 1998

Another great underrated punk band from the punk revival 90's that followed the trail of bands like Green Day , The Offspring , and NoFX Lagwagon had a slightly harder edge then their fellow so cal skate punk bands!

"May 16"

Leestu
Nick Cave & The Bad Seed, "Your Funeral… My Trial"
, 1986

This is the fourth studio album by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, produced by Flood and Tony Cohen. Initially released as a double ep with no singles it was almost immediately rereleased as a full length studio album with a different track order and the single “Scum” added at the end. I only discovered this now but I guess it explains why Scum seems to fit the feel of the album but still sound a bit out of place at the same time. Although not an easy listen this album was worth the investment of my time. After multiple listens I grew to love the melancholic and gloomy feelings evoked by the almost desperate sounding music and the evocative story telling. A perfect example is my selection from this album, “The Carny”, in which Nick Cave twists a traditional upbeat carnival theme into a forboding piece of music whilst narrating a depressing sad tale. Other highlights from the album include the title track, “Stranger Than Kindness”, and the only single from the album, the vitriolic, lyrically aggresive “Scum”, which I will also provide a link to for those interested.

"The Carny"

"Scum"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dtaBsZ3iKo

NSpan
Tripping Daisy, "Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb"
, 1998

1. Field Day Jitters 4:09
2. Waited a Light Year 6:00
3. Sonic Bloom 3:39
4. Bandaids for Mire 2:39
5. Mechanical Breakdown 3:19
6. Your Socks Have No Name 2:30
7. Geeareohdoubleyou 3:47
8. New Plains Medicine 2:01
9. Our Drive to the Sun/Can a Man Mark It? 5:27
10. Human Contact 5:37
11. Pillar 3:00
12. 8 Ladies 3:04
13. About the Movies 5:06
14. Tiny Men 3:25
15. Indian Poker Pt. 2 & 3 (Bad Brains cover) 3:07

If you dig The Flaming Lips, you'll dig Tripping Daisy. These guys were huge in Texas during the 90s. But as with their colleagues, The Toadies, they failed to garner the same level of fandom on the national scale. Looking back on 90s music, there was so much darkness and angst--especially with the arrival of grunge. As young Americans, there wasn't THAT much to complain about at the time, really. But our music still managed to be whiny and brooding (thank you very much, Billy Corgan and Trent Reznor respectively). I think of the kids growing up in that era as the "Fight Club Generation." I suppose that, in the absence of hardship, a certain existential nihilism sets in. But Tripping Daisy emerged from the dark and reminded us how nice the light is. These guys were uncharacteristically upbeat with their rollicking psychedelic pop. They had earned some attention with their sophomore effort when near-legendary producer Eric Drew Feldman stepped in to assist with their next project. This guy was an unofficial member of the Pixies, he produced most of Frank Black's best albums, as well as those of Captain Beefheart, Snakefinger (well known by fans of the Residents), and the experimental-pop post-Tripping Daisy project (The Polyphonic Spree), among others. His presence alone gives the album some weight and credibility. Up to this point, their music was considered pretty disposable. And, for most people, it still is. But this album shows them in top form at the pinnacle of their creativity. This full-length album was intended to be listened to as such. It's difficult to pick it apart and consume it bit by bit. It's most rewarding when experienced from start to finish. Picking a song to feature was difficult for that very reason. But it's hard to go wrong with an record as consistent as this:

"8 Ladies"

"Sonic Bloom"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpXsxylUkFI

numbersix
Sigur Ros,"Ny Batteri EP"
, 2000

Spring 2000. An eager 17 year-old moi went to see the gloomy post-rock of Godspeed You Black Emperor. What I didn’t expect was to be blown away by the unknown support act, who turned out to be Sigur Rós. The whole audience collectively dropped their jaws in pure abstract awe. Unfortunately their merchandise table was swamped in minutes and nothing was left, but the following week I got my hands on their only available release (their breakthrough album only came out in Autumn), this EP. It’s a tender, delicate collection of 4 songs, and I almost burnt through my CD from replaying it so often. The two latter songs, originally from the Angels of the Universe soundtrack, rank amongst some of their best songs.

"Bium Bium Bambalo"

Ron Burgundy
TISM, "Beasts Of Suburban"
, 1992

Just a wild funny crazy band. Mixing Rock, Pop, Electro and Parody comedy/Black Humour. They've been on hiatus for a long time, which is a shame considering their sharp political jabs and knockout lines of wit. Would have liked to included 'Beasts of Suburban', but its an EP.

"Lillee Caught Dilley Bowled Milli Vanilli"

silversurfer
Throwing Muses, "University"
, 1995

A number of years ago I was read a biography on The Pixies, when all I kept seeing was Black Francis talk about a small band from Boston called Throwing Muses who served as great inspiration for him, and were indeed the first US band prior to The Pixies being signed to the legendary UK record label 4AD. I had heard of the Throwing Muses before, mainly by name and because of their links to The Breeders, but I knew nothing of their music. I took this as a hint to look into their back catalogue a little, and while there were moments of their debut and The Real Ramona which caught my fancy, unfortunately their sound was just a little too abrasive, uncoherent and maybe a little too much like some Siouxie and the Banshees work for me to really 'get'. However, another of their records, University, did stick with me. It took all the emotion of their earlier records and chanelled them into the perfect pop record. Loud and full of noise, and with Kristin Hersh's vocals now a little more refined, University is a full throttled assault on the senses with some great hooks and catchy choruses. From album opener Bright Yellow Gun to closer Fever Few, the Throwing Muses created their best effort to date. It was unfortunate that my favourite record of theirs doesn't include the contribution of founder member Tanya Donnelly, but for me University is a true testament of fighting through adversity and delivering a quite stunning record.

"Shimmer"

"Bright Yellow Gun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAj2DEOcpxQ

transformers
Grieves, "Irreversible"
, 2007

Grieves goes amongst most rap, even of the underground variety. He uses very unconventional jazz-influenced, piano and horn heavy, production and lyrics that are often about topics such as spousal abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction, and other negative, unflattering subjects. What makes this album special was the honesty and emotional intensity he achieves with his lyrics. He has intelligent, sincere lyrics and an excellent delivery. He also has an excellent singing voice that is used tastefully and effectively at certain points during the album. Grieves is one of the finest conscious hip-hop acts of all time and has sadly got unnoticed by most of the hip-hop community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYC5Yd7uL0Q

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Just a few quick comments

Aly
ZZ top was a great start to your countdown, and the 99 like Nspans 100, was ok, but it will take another listen.

NSpan
Not a bad 99, i like it

Geez
Youch, Creed? But nice recovery with The Ramones, they get better with every listen.

Surfer
your 99 was ok, i think id like to hear more of these guys, and i like The Pixies.

Ozzy
Great to see a Perth band made it here, like Leestu, they missed out on my top. Very folksy feel to your next one, it wasnt bad.

Six
Didnt get to hear Low, but did listen to your 99, not sure about it yet. but i have heard other songs from Sigur Ros which i think are just fantastic.

Geez No 2
If i were drunk, Boston would be a welcome addition to the karoake/jukebox. And even sober you can sing along. Your 99, is not my type of stuff, early 90s punk, just didnt do it while Nirvana had the Grunge era goin.

Leestu
Still trying to sort Nick cave in my head.

Tranny
Not a big fan, but if i were angry...maybe
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Responses:

Alyson - I've listened to all that has been given to me, but something just isn't grabbing me from them. Maybe their next effort will be a little better to me, because there is certainly something there.

Englishozzy - It was certainly pleasant, but I doubt its something I'd find very memorable or try to seek out the remainder of the album.

Bleed Black - You'll have to let me borrow this one! Liked the song quite a bit!

Leestu - Does that even qualify as music?

NSpan - I'll be listening to the rest of this one. Very good stuff!

Six - very haunting stuff, but it gets rather boring quickly. I don't think I could listen to more than a song's worth of it without totally losing interest.

Ron B - well that was... odd to say the least. Don't think I'll be looking further into them.

Surfer - Not bad. I don't think its quite good enough for me to seek out the remainder of the album, but certainly not a disaster.

Tranny - Pretty good for rap. Its not something I'd put on, but if someone else liked rap, I'd much prefer listen to this in their presence than something like Lil Wayne.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Ozzy – Love Ray Lamontagne and this song – great choice!☺

Geez – Classic. Ramones didn’t make my list, but I enjoy them. And I can never hear this song without singing along.

Black & Gold – Never heard of this band, but it sounds like it would have fit in with my playlists in the 90s…. not sure if that’s a good thing, but thought this was enjoyable nonetheless

Leetsu – I have heard some Nick Cave before and on the whole felt he was fine, I liked some much better than others – this song freaking creeped me out though, probably the point….

Nick – I enjoy Tripping Daisy every time you play them, but my issue with them has always been that I feel like their sound is too much an amalgam of other people’s sound. I have never been able to hear them and say – “yep, that’s Tripping Daisy alright”. Perhaps I haven’t listened enough.

Six – I had completely forgotten about this band! I learned about them in, I think 2008, they have an amazing sound.

Ron – Another band that is entirely new to me. Seemed catchy, kinda funny.

Surfer – I haven’t not heard of them either – but from what I heard, I would be interested in hearing more

Trans – I am going to reserve judgment on this, at first I didn’t like it, it was a bit loud for me, but then towards the middle I kinda started enjoying the beat. So this is a bit of a “?” for me.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Geezer wrote:Responses:

Alyson - I've listened to all that has been given to me, but something just isn't grabbing me from them. Maybe their next effort will be a little better to me, because there is certainly something there.
Not going to speak for Nick - but I think a lot of my joy of BLSH is that they are spectacular live. I saw them live twice before I ever got a chance to hear the actual album. As such, I have great enjoyment in listening to songs that I so enjoyed in concert. Their energy and sound is just fabulous.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

So Geezer is the first to choose an album that is already in my collection. Although I don't listen to their individual albums much anymore (I'm more likely to chuck on a compilation) they are always a reliable listen (especially earlier in their career) and this is no exception. Good stuff!

I'm sure I've got most of the TISM (aka This Is Serious Mum) albums Ron, but not this EP. "Get Thee to a Nunnery" is the only song I know from it. I'll probably get my hands on this sometime as I'm a bit of a fan of their sometimes low-brow, sometimes high-brow, humour, but I wonder if it translates to overseas audiences? There is definitely an Aussie sense of humour/larrikinism (another example of that is coming up tomorrow).

I have heard a bit of Throwing Muses back in the day, but they never really grabbed my attention, although I suspect I would like them more now considering my tastes are a bit more refined in my old age.

Gotta explore Sigur Ros a bit more because the little I have heard has been fascinating

Lag Wagon and Tripping Daisy probably shouldn't be lumped together but my comment applies to both. From the couple of songs I have heard previously (not these selections) they seem like they have a sense of fun that I do appreciate in music. Would probably enjoy their music whne it's played, but not actively seek them out.

Haven't heard any of the rest...yet.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson - The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour", 2010 - I figured you were going to play "Detroit." Good stuff either way.

englishozzy - Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble", 2004 - This is really good. Kate has played his albums for me a bunch, but I guess I never took the initiative to get more into his music. I believe I'll take that opportunity now. But I gotta ask: does anybody else think all of his songs sound like Cat Stevens covers? I mean, that's not a bad thing. Not at all. I honestly thought "Trouble" was a cover of Cat Stevens' "Trouble." Then I thought "Hannah" was a cover of Cat Stevens' "Trouble." Either I need to get my hearing checked (which is a strong possibility) or Yusuf Islam is due some royalties.

Geezer - The Ramones, "Road To Ruin" - Disposable as hell... but that's the point, right? Good stuff. (Taking cues from the New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, the Modern Lovers, and the Stooges,) the Ramones came in just as music was starting to take itself WAY too seriously, and they saved the day. I'm not really into punk. But, without punk, we couldn't have post-punk--which is one of my favorite genres.

BleedBlackandGold Lagwagon, "Lets Talk About feelings", 1998 - Something about "punk rock" and "Santa Barbara" doesn't sit right with me. This band is new to me. By 1998, I had completely given up on the supposed punk-rock revival (coincidentally, so had Green Day and the Offspring). But something tells me I would've absolutely dug their first few albums had I actually heard them upon release... after all, I listened to cassettes of Ignition and Smash almost exclusively in '94.

Leestu - Nick Cave & The Bad Seed, "Your Funeral… My Trial", 1986 - Cool stuff, though it's probably not exactly something I'd put on for guests. I have four of his 80s albums (in addition to some soundtrack and more recent work), though I still wouldn't consider myself a huge fan. I guess I'm still in the curious admiration stage. I'll have to give those records another spin.

numbersix - Sigur Ros,"Ny Batteri EP", 2000 - Awesome. This is one of those bands that I've been aware of for ages... I just haven't really checked 'em out. I'll be revisiting this one. The song you featured sounds like something I'd find on a rare Pink Floyd or King Crimson bootleg. It's also what I *hope* to hear whenever I listen to Mogwai.

Ron Burgundy - TISM, "Beasts Of Suburban", 1992 - So this is Australia's answer to The Residents? It's actually pretty great. Despite a bit of a culture barrier, I honestly enjoyed this. The leader singer's voice is extremely similar to... somebody's. Shit. This is going to bother me.

silversurfer - Throwing Muses, "University", 1995 - Not sure why I don't own this already. I'm a huge Breeders fan, so it was natural to branch out to Belly and Tanya Donnelly solo, then on to Kristin Hersh and Throwing Muses. Just a matter of time before I get to it, I suppose... (PS. YouTube blocked the second song)

transformers Grieves, "Irreversible", 2007 - I'm not usually into rap/hip-hop, though this definitely leans toward my style.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly: Liked this song when NSpan posted it yesterday. Not sure I'd check out the album, but it's certainly a fun listen

Ozzy: There's a lot of alt-country singer-songwriters around, and I'm afraid there's much better than this fellow. Not bad, but a little generic for me.

Geez: I own no Ramones albums in full, just their 2-disc best of. I always felt that their musical limitations ensured that none of their albums would sustain a proper listen. The fact that your two favourite songs are on the compilation pretty much confirms this. But they are great songs. Can't help but suspect there will be more Ramones further down on your list.

John L: I'll probably end up saying this a lot, but if the description wasn't there I'd never consider this to be punk. Despite the simplicity, it sounds very unlike the classic punk sound. Just compare that to the Ramones, the poppiest of the punks. I'd describe this song as guitar pop. Which I'm not a fan of.

Leetsu: Despite being a huge Cave fan I've none of his earlier solo records. Tender Prey is as early as I've gotten to. The Carney is deeply moody but not something I'd repeat. I do like Stranger than Kindness and Scum (which I'd never heard before) was excellent. One day I'll work my way through all of his records.

NSpan: You kinda shot yourself in the foot by even referencing the likes of Flaming Lips, Cptn Beefheart, Residents, Pixies, birthday boy. The music from Tripping Daisy just falls flat after that! When you mentioned the Lips I was hoping for bags of creativity, but this was a little dull and samey. A more toned down Polyphonic Spree is the best comparison I can come up with.

Ron B: Feels like a novelty song to me.

SS: This was very nice. I've known of the Muses since I started listening to the Pixies and the Breeders all those years ago, but I don't think I heard much worth remembering. Giving them a go now has paid off, as the songs were really good.

Tranny: Not bad, not bad at all. The sampling of horns in the first song was pretty cool. I do like that his subject matter is more gritty and realistic, though isn't it pretty common for most rappers to go on about drugs and crime? At least he seems to be trying to rap about escaping it rather than dwell in the negativity. Tranny, if you can inspire me to get a hip-hop record during this countdown, even one, consider it a major success.

Oh and Geez, just wondering if you listened to the whole song or gave up? I only ask because it does build (albiet slowly) to a crashing climax. I tend to like songs that do this, as it ensures a real sense of journey within only a few minutes.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: You kinda shot yourself in the foot by even referencing the likes of Flaming Lips, Cptn Beefheart, Residents, Pixies, birthday boy. The music from Tripping Daisy just falls flat after that! When you mentioned the Lips I was hoping for bags of creativity, but this was a little dull and samey. A more toned down Polyphonic Spree is the best comparison I can come up with.
"Your Socks Have No Name" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJup5zysNw

I originally chose two of the most accessible tracks on the album (not to say that this is a particularly challenging album), but you--personally--might prefer some of the deeper cuts. And the reference to Eric Drew Feldman wasn't a mere comparison, I was detailing his contributions to this album as well as providing an abridged producer discography.

And to Reel Society, I present a song about the MOVIES!

"About The Movies" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8brvFTYXE
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I love how your response to my criticism is always: MORE SONGS! Seriously, though, the latter two songs were better. I can definitely see the (early) Flaming Lips comparisons.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Six, I did listen to the whole thing, and like I said I did actually like the song. I just don't think I could take the journey over and over again. You have to remember that much of my favorite music comes in under 3-minute bursts, so most of these long, building tracks just seem like something I'd maybe put on in the background rather than actually listen to.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:Six, I did listen to the whole thing, and like I said I did actually like the song. I just don't think I could take the journey over and over again. You have to remember that much of my favorite music comes in under 3-minute bursts, so most of these long, building tracks just seem like something I'd maybe put on in the background rather than actually listen to.
Fair enough, but for your next birthday I'm getting you some Ritalin ;)