Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by Geezer »

NSpan: I'm not really a fan of long breakdowns, generally and this one kinda took me out of the song. It was pretty decent before that though. One of the better choices from day one. Not sure if I'll check out the rest of the album, but I did listen to both songs so that's a good start!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think I'm going to struggle to comment on many picks, as for some reason my speakers in work are not playing the tracks well and I have very little time at home. I'll try and comment on albums which stand out to me each weekend I guess unless something immediately sticks out that I am very familair with. From what I have seen so far though it looks like it should be an interesting countdown, as while with no real highlights so far from those familiar, there is a good variety of music and some which i will certainly be looking in to.

I need to check out six's Low record, as I'm a fan of the band but haven't heard this collaboration before, while NSpan's pick must be good considering the length of the description (that's how we rate stuff on here, isn't it? [wink]). I can't profess to being a fan of Creed, Geez, but it's not exactly a hate of the band more just a case of not caring for them. They remind me of how I feel about the likes of Nickelback, Staind and many more of those mid 90s american rock acts. Same with Boston, they just belong to a genre of music I care little for. The Juno soundtrack, well while I think it fits the quirky style of the movie well, I just don't think it works for me outside of the film. I do like the Sonic Youth Carpenters' cover though. I've heard of both M83 and Eskimo Joe, need to check out what they are like, while despite not being a fan of death metal, I'll give Suffocation a go, Tranny. Will get back to you all....

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Oh, and can the five remaining participants who haven't submitted their no.99 pick please do so in the next 14 hours or so in order that I can post more than half of the field... And Aly still needs to post her no.100. I won't be chasing people up on this, it's up to you if you want to keep up with the group, but it'd be nice to have a full collection of records.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy - Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine", 2006 - I don't think I know this band, but the songs sound familiar (especially the first). I hear some early 80s new wave and late 80s/early 90s alt-rock in both song selections. I was surprised to see that it was recorded in 2006. I would've assumed earlier.

Geezer - Creed, "My Own Prison", 1997 - My primary complaint with Creed has always been that their sound feels generic to me. Nothing stood out when I listened to their music. It was almost like a machine had been created to generate algorithms based on popular music that would ultimately culminate into a wholly synthetic band. So, the worst I can say about Creed is that they simply sound bland to my ears. The bigger offense is that their success helped spawn an entire generation of even blander musicians. Can't really blame them for that... at least not directly. Listened to a few tracks in addition to your featured video, but none of it is changing my mind.

John Lengieza - Boston, "Boston", 1976 - It's a coincidence that I was just talking about "manufactured music" (describing Creed) and, now, here I am listening to Boston. From what I understand, this album is a Frankenstein of sorts. The band itself was created in a petri dish in some Music Scientist's laboratory. Men in lab coats ran around scribbling on clipboards and exchanging vials of strange science-y liquids while other men in black suits stood quietly... simply observing the growing mass. A few record executives stood in the corner, holding in their laughter with handfuls of cash. Finally, what sprung forth would change music forever. The Monster (or "Boston" as people would come to know it by) strummed the riff to "More Than a Feeling" and--with that simple gesture--the golden age of Arena Rock began.

Leestu - Various Artists, "Music from the Motion Picture Juno", 2008 - My opinion of the movie aside, this is a truly great soundtrack. And there is definitely a running theme in terms of style, so it feels like a cohesive album. The whole thing is basically a mix-tape which compliments the movie in a "meta" sort of way. I loved that the Moldy Peaches got some exposure through this project... though it was short-lived, as they quickly went from relative obscurity to being ultra-hip, which--of course--made them uncool again. Points for the inclusion of the Velvet Underground and the Kinks, too.

numbersix Low & Spring Heel Jack,"Bombscare EP", 2000 - I don't really know either artist, so I can't comment on the sound in relation to them... but, taken on its own (which might be the best way to approach projects like these), this made for a pleasant listen. I gotta be in just the right mood to fully appreciate music this mellow. But the melody is there, and these guys know how to keep it from becoming overly monotonous.

Ron Burgundy M83, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming", 2011 - After unceasing rants from two of my friends, I finally gave in and got a couple of this band's albums (including the one you chose). So far I haven't had any luck really getting into it. But, honestly, your words and the track you picked make me want to give them another chance.

silversurfer Grizzly Bear, "Veckatimest", 2009 - Reminiscent of one of my favorite bands, The Starlight Mints. Maybe with a touch of Elliot Smith. I'm going to listen to more of the album.

transformers - Suffocation, "Pierced From Within", 1995 - Music's not bad, but the vocals are a deterrent for me. That will probably be my response to a lot of your picks. But, to be fair, I ended up acquiring and enjoying some Between the Buried & Me during the last countdown. So I certainly haven't written off your metal picks.
Last edited by NSpan on September 11th, 2012, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

so I only need #100 for now? good!

I believe mine is ZZ Top Tres Hombres

Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

silversurfer19 wrote:Oh, and can the five remaining participants who haven't submitted their no.99 pick please do so in the next 14 hours or so in order that I can post more than half of the field... And Aly still needs to post her no.100. I won't be chasing people up on this, it's up to you if you want to keep up with the group, but it'd be nice to have a full collection of records.

Sorry I am behind! I posted my 100 and sent you my 99 - what's the best? send 10 at a time? I think i can get the bottom 10 in order for the week....

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Out of all of these first ones, the one I had not heard of was : Grizzly Bear, "Veckatimest. And I quite enjoyed the snippet. Shall have to check this out.

Also, I decided for my own list that I was not allowed Film Soundtracks, just because I felt like they may be too close to compilations imo. But I really enjoy the Juno Soundtrack, and the Moldy Peaches album did in fact make my top 100. just sayin.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:I think I'm going to struggle to comment on many picks, as for some reason my speakers in work are not playing the tracks well and I have very little time at home.
Try youtube blocked at work, shitty internet connection at home (so every song has to buffer first), and two laptops between five computer age family members.....I've got no chance. But like I said earlier on another thread, this music should still be here as long as the site is, and I can always revisit like I have done with the songs and movie countdowns. So as for comments I don't have a lot to say at the best of times anyway, however I'll chip in now and then.

On ya Ozzy for squeezing a Perth band onto your list. I couldn't manage to do it, although both of Jebediah's first two albums made my initial short list of 130. Having said that I'm not a fan of this era of Eskimo Joe, but I really, really liked their earlier singles, from "Sweater" through to "From The Sea", when they were a little bit less....umm...rock and a bit more indie.

Everything else bar Creed and Boston (both not my thing) are new to me so I look forward to checking them out sometime.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Question: is Massachusetts really a decade and a half behind the calendar? I expected much better from you two.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan: Pretty sure you posted some songs of these guys before. Part of me feels like I've heard it all before, but they're certainly not an untalented bunch. Dug the bassline of that song in particular. Here's a tough question: if they weren't from Austin and know them do you think you'd like them as much?

Aly: It was fun. Very bluesy. Never heard that song before. I do like ZZ Top (possibly due to nostalgia), but not enough to delve further.

And as per Geez's earlier comment, I think we should all post two tracks per album, one to embed and one as just a link. I find myself judging the single song for the album as opposed to getting a sense of the breadth of the record.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Albums I Like

Juno - Motion Picture Soundtrack
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Band I Will Definitely Be Checking Out

The Bright Light Social Hour (Very intrigued and will be searching out more songs)

Albums That Have Me 50/50 and Will Need to Check Out More

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
M83 - Hurry Up Were Dreaming (Reminds me of another band, will get back to you when i think of it :?)
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: Pretty sure you posted some songs of these guys before. Part of me feels like I've heard it all before, but they're certainly not an untalented bunch. Dug the bassline of that song in particular. Here's a tough question: if they weren't from Austin and know them do you think you'd like them as much?
I anticipated this question. Believe me, I have numerous friends, buddies, and acquaintances in countless bands in both Austin and L.A. (and don't misinterpret that as the ramblings of a loud-mouthed braggart: that's hardly the case. In fact, it's a complaint of sorts). EVERYBODY in these two cities apparently play guitar and each aspires to be a rock star. Non-musicians like me are practically the minority. I've witnessed the entire spectrum of "friend's bands" from painfully awful to the "why the BLEEP aren't these guys famous??"

The Bright Light Social Hour is a rare specimen in a town over-crowded with talent and aspirations. Its somewhat unique to posses the combination of having a novel sound that works just as well in the studio as it does at a live venue

These guys put on a stellar live show, and (as I mentioned) the LP captures that energy. Their popularity is skyrocketing. And their touring schedule is converting hundreds/thousands of potential fans every week. They recently opened for Aerosmith in a huge music festival in Canada. They also headlined Austin's "Blues on the Green" which attracts audiences in the 10s of thousands.

Anticipate at least one more "local" band on my list before the end of the countdown.

"Bare Hands, Bare Feet" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbiiANh0lY

The genuinely independent release and promotion of TBLSH's debut LP was masterful. The "street team" sent out stacks of copies of the album to fans, critics, and friends. They, in turn, took the mastered album and burned it onto disposable recordable compact-discs (with a minimalist approach, sporting personally-written (and a tad bit cryptic and ominous) claims via permanent marker of "This is the band I've been telling you about!" Those who received copies had the responsibilities of distributing to (or simply leaving them near) musicians, fans, club-owners, etc. etc. Well, the grassroots marketing paid off.... but ONLY BECAUSE these guys were able to deliver. The album promised so much--and the promotion perhaps even more.

Amazingly, this band could NOT get "over-hyped." Everybody in attendance is regularly blown away. That includes long-time fans, those curious, and even those who just happen to simply be sitting in a close-enough proximity to hear the live show.

The personal connection is merely a nice bonus to be shared as trivia. The content of my recommendation and a substantiation of their true talent should be available to anyone interested.

I'm including a link to one more song from the band, just in case anyone is still on the fence. It's a cover of "Young Man Blues" (by way of The Who):

"Young Man's Blues" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0yFhbrmQPY
Last edited by NSpan on September 11th, 2012, 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You make a good point, though the best one is merely posting Bare Hands Bare Feet, which is quite an entertaining song.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:Question: is Massachusetts really a decade and a half behind the calendar? I expected much better from you two.
What exactly is this supposed to mean?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Nice pick Aly. Always liked ZZ Top, although none of their albums made my personal list.