Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BleedBlackandGold

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by BleedBlackandGold »

EnglishHozzy: Jason Maraz is just a guy in a hat :) lol
Geezer: This album defined our childhood ill always remembering cranking up the stereo on the cuss words at the age of 9. This will be on my list for sure
Leetsu: I'm just not into Lo fi I don't get the point.
numbersix : Now you are speaking my laungage what a great comp!
Ron: Good sound , doesn't seem like it'd be out of place in a Guy Ritchie movie
Transformer: I dig the soundgarden Cornell had such a great voice.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.93

Alyson
Givers, "In Light"
, 2011

englishozzy
Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
, 2005

An album that resonates with me more in the lyrics than the actual melody which is unusual as I prefer to listen to music demonstrating more with the instruments.

"First Day of My Life"

"We Are Nowhere and It's Now"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc2ylAwRf8

Geezer
Nirvana, "Incesticide "
, 1992

1.Dive – 3 stars
2.Sliver – 5 stars
3.Stain – 3 stars
4.Been a Son – 5 stars
5.Turnaround – 2 stars
6.Molly's Lips – 5 stars
7.Son of a Gun – 5 stars
8.(New Wave) Polly – 4 stars
9.Beeswax – 2 stars
10.Downer – 4 stars
11.Mexican Seefood - 2 stars
12.Hairspray Queen – 2 stars
13.Aero Zeppelin – 3 stars
14.Big Long Now – 3 stars
15.Aneurysm – 4 stars

A Nirvana compilation album that includes a few of their best songs, especially some great Vaseline's covers. The lowest of the Nirvana albums on my list, and it'll be quite a while before you see the next one.

"Molly's Lips"

"Sliver"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f87OQkzWQik

BleedBlackandGold,
MDC, "Millions of Dead Cops"
, 1998

One of the greatest and most underrated bands to come out of the American Hardcore scene of the early 8o's MDC was no nonsense punk rock straight to the point. Listing to the into to "I Remember" gives me chills to this day. Fun fact Kurt Cobain was arrested for vandalism with a MDC cassette in his pocket.

Leestu
Happy Mondays, “Bummed”
, 1988

Happy Mondays are one of the formative bands of the Madchester scene of the late 8os. This is their second album and I think you have to credit some of its great sound to the fact it was produced my Martin Hannett. The unique sound comes from bordering between alternative rock and pop, mellowed out with some funky rhythms, and elements of very early rave electronica. It all works and results in a groovy feel good album. Wrote For Luck and Lazyitis were the two singles from the album but I’m going with the bookends; Country Song, the opening track, and then Lazyitis, the closing track with its interesting borrowing of a nursery rhyme and The Beatles.

“Country Song”

“Lazyitis”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-F5KTy2ak

NSpan
The Pink Mountaintops, "The Pink Mountaintops
, 2004

numbersix
Various Artists,"Warp 20"
, 2009

There are a few music labels you can trust, but UK’s Warp Records has proven that they can be trailblazers (of the electronic music scene) and also constantly surprise (having signed some great guitar acts in the last decade). This 20th anniversary box set comprises of three collections, a 2-disc compilation of their best songs, as voted by the public and by the label’s boss (“Chosen), a compilation of rarities (“Unheard”) and covers (“Recreated”). Knowing a few acts, I came out of listening to this with plenty more to explore.

Warp also happen to be one of the most exciting movie production companies in the UK as well, having produced films like This is England, Kill List, Four Lions, etc.

"Herzog (by Clarke)"

"GNG BNG (by Flying Lotus)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxracqXSXk

Ron Burgundy
Gorillaz, "Plastic Beach"
, 2010

silversurfer
The Jam, "All Mod Cons"
, 1978

The Jam were a band I grew up with, their singles constantly playing on our radio or record player. However, while we owned many of these 7"s my parents didn't bother buying their actual records. Much to the point that I believed, obviously, that The Jam must have largely been a singles band, similar to the 60s mod bands such as The Kinks who had inspired them. It was only when I reached my teens that I began to discover their records, with In The City a fascinating punk offering, delivered with the snarl of the punk movement and a slice of social commentary, as opposed to political statement, providing the balance. However, it wasn't until Helena introduced me to All Mod Cons that I discovered The Jam's best record. Matured but still quick paced, immediately energetic, heartfelt and almost soulful, the record brings all the bands best attributes into one package.

"Down In The Tube Station At Midnight"

"English Rose"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6f5ISxy7L0

transformers
Atmosphere, "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold"
, 2008

Atmosphere is another one of my favorite rap artists. What makes them so special is they change their style every album yet stick to their roots at the same time. Rapper Slug is a master storyteller when it comes to everything from simple club anthems to telling heartfelt stories about the loss of his father. Producer Ant is a master at his craft coming up with some of the best beats in rap history while leaving no instrument or sound out of the realm of possibility for use on a track. When Life Gives You Lemons is Atmosphere's most conscious, honest, and diverse release of their long yet still flourishing career.

"Wild Wild Horses"

"Should Known"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-djb6lRUyQ
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 20th, 2012, 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

AC/DC
- TNT (1975)

Side One
"It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" – 5:15
"Rock 'n' Roll Singer" – 5:04
"The Jack" – 5:52
"Live Wire" – 5:49

Side Two
"T.N.T." – 3:34
"Rocker" – 2:55
"Can I Sit Next to You Girl" – 4:12
"High Voltage" – 4:22
"School Days"– 5:23

To be fair, I've known this album as High Voltage for most of my life. For this particular countdown, I went ahead and reassembled the original record--the way it was meant to be heard. The two are very similar. Side One is identical. On Side Two, the international release (that most Americans and Europeans know) drops "Rocker" and "School Days." In their place is "Little Lover" and "She's Got Balls." I can part with the Chuck Berry cover, but I don't see why they'd ditch "Rocker." It's a real highlight, in my opinion. Anyway, the meat and potatoes of TNT is the same as what I grew up loving on High Voltage. The common perception seems to be that AC/DC is a band that got better with time. I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe their international debut is on par with anything else they've done. And forget Brian Johnson, the band died with Bon Scott.

"The Jack"

"Rocker"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-IjUuZ8zE
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

The Reverend Horton Heat
- Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em (1990)

1. "Bullet"
2. "I'm Mad"
3. "Bad Reputation"
4. "It's a Dark Day"
5. "Big Dwarf Rodeo"
6. "Psychobilly Freakout"
7. "Put It to Me Straight"
8. "Marijuana"
9. "Baby, You Know Who"
10. "Eat Steak"
11. "'D' for Dangerous"
12. "Love Whip"

I've been aware of these guys since I was young, but I never really got into them until I met their drummer, Taz. At nearly 7 feet tall, this guy is a monster on stage. At the time, the Toadies were on extended-hiatus, and (Toadies singer/guitarist/songwriter) Todd Lewis had formed The Burden Brothers as a side project. They put on a hell of a live show--doing mostly original material, along with Toadies music, some Frank Black, as well as songs from Taz's other band, The Reverend Horton Heat. Once "400 Bucks" became a regular part of the repertoire, and Taz had proven to be one of the few drummers who can actually keep me interested during a 10-minute solo, I finally got this album. Self-proclaimed "psycho-billy" music, I don't think I can describe it better. Released in 1990 by Sub Pop (known mostly for popularizing Seattle grunge around this same time), this strange album didn't make huge waves at first... but it resonated strongly within the industry and among fringe artists. Using the Butthole Surfers' signature insanity as a launchpad, the Reverend's first album manages to predict the 1990s resurgence of ska and surf-rock while maintaining an identity completely unique from all those who would follow.

"It's a Dark Day"

"Bad Reputation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj955ZtFMGY

The full range of the Reverend's sound is hard to capture in just one song... or even two. If these entice, I suggest further listening with "Bullet" and "Eat Steak"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson Karl Denson, "Blackened Red Snapper", 1992
It doesn't quite have the immediacy or the catchiness of his later work, but I liked it. I need to check out some of his pre-Tiny Universe stuff. Did you see him at ACL with me? Good show...

englishozzy James Blunt "Back to Bedlam", 2004
I wasn't sure if this guy was a one-song sensation or not. Good to know that he's done more. Your featured track eventually won me over (around 2 minutes in), though I still don't quite understand the runaway success of his album/career.

Geezer The Bouncing Souls, "The Gold Record", 2006
I've heard of these guys without ever actually hearing them. It's a bit too punk-lite for my tastes. But, then again, Master of Puppets was pulled from my list because it wasn't engaging me the way it used to. So, either I'm simply looking for a fresher sound... or I need to hang out with Tranny and start listening to death metal.

Leestu Swervedriver, “Raise”, , 1991
I wish I had known of these guys growing up. Reminds me of a less twangy Meat Puppets. Also, I think the Foo Fighters probably listened to "Rave Down" a few times before laying down some of their more successful tracks. I might look into more of these guys.

numbersix Various Artists,"New York Noise, Volume 1", 2003
Is this where you first heard Liquid Liquid? I agree that there's something truly unique about NYC. No one can deny the impact of bands like The Velvet Underground, the Talking Heads, Television, New York Dolls, etc. Coincidentally, I learned today that Blue Oyster Cult is from New York--and not California as I had always assumed. If your featured tracks are anything to go by, I'd like to hear the rest of the album. Have you delved into most of these individual artists? Or is this more like a "Nuggets" collection where the source material is a bit harder to track down?

silversurfer The Dears, "No Cities Left ", 2003
I definitely hear the Damon Albarn comparison. Like some other countdown participants, I thought your second track was a bit more interesting. The accordion (?) and sax lightly interspersed throughout was a nice Beach Boys-esque touch.

transformers Anthrax, "Spreading the Disease", 1985
Of the Big Four, Anthrax always fell behind Megadeth and Metallica for me. But those latter two were responsible for, at one point in my life, some of my favorite music. So I still held Anthrax is pretty high esteem. Though, I agree with a few people who've mentioned that "Madhouse" isn't exactly Anthrax at their 'thrashiest.' It leans a bit more toward straight metal. But that's always been a point of contention for me in the "Big Four" title itself. Megadeth moved away from thrash-metal after Countdown to Extinction... and, outside of their Mustaine-soaked debut, I don't know if Metallica was ever truly thrash. But I guess it doesn't really matter... it's all semantics, anyway.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

englishozzy Jason Mraz, "We Sing, we Dance, we Steal Things", 2008
Definitely catchy stuff. Reminds me of some other disposable beach bums: G Love and Jack Johnson.

Geezer The Offspring, "Americana", 1998
I recently mentioned that I think the first three Offspring albums (self-titled, Ignition, and Smash) are great records. I remember the day Ixnay on the Hombre came out... I was so disappointed in something that I had been looking forward to for so long. Then Americana came along and I simply gave up on the band... and the state of the genre.

BleedBlackandGold, The Vandals, "Hitler Bad ,Vandals Good", 1998
The Vandals have done some decent stuff... though 1998 was just a bad year for "punk" overall.

Leestu The Boys Next Door, “The Birthday Party”, 1980
The second track did more for me. I've tried before, and I still haven't quite cracked the shell on this album..

numbersix Various Artists,"20 Years of Dischord", 2002
This didn't inspire me to pick up the album, but it's always refreshing to hear "punk" actually sound punk.

silversurfer The Cooper Temple Clause, "See This Through And Leave ", 2002
I liked this. I was just recently listening to Soundgarden's "Hunted Down," as well as Smashing Pumpkins', "The End is the Beginning is the End." I might be crazy, but I feel like I hear both in here... along with Muse, for sure. The second song didn't do so much for me.

transformers Soundgarden, "Superunknown", 1994
Soundgarden was my favorite band growing up. And this was one of my favorite albums for a long time. Though I think the songwriting is stronger on Down on the Upside, I thought Superunknown was a good progression from Badmotorfinger. These days, I actually enjoy their earlier, raw material best. Louder Than Love is a killer album. Tangentially, have you heard the Satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas EP? Covers of Sabbath's "Into the Void," Devo's "Girl U Want," and the Stones' "Stray Cat Blues" (found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW6ffL-4KnY)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I never got the big deal about The Offspring. It's just a bunch of upper middle class fratboys singing about how much they hate women.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Boosh, do you have comments on anyone else's music, or just mine? And is everyone a frat boy to you? Or is that just your go-to insult. I'm pretty fucking sure that the Offspring were never members of any fraternity. I'm also pretty sure you have never explored anything further in their catalog than Pretty Fly, which is admittedly their worst hit ever.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Wannabe fratboys, then. What I don't get it why a man as intelligent as Dexter Holland would get involved with such ugly music. You think that singing songs about being a huge asshole would be something he's look down on.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

On number 94:

Ozzy - That I'm Yours song is another guilty pleasure for me. Very light and poppy, but he's got a decent voice and I like the lyrics. Won't ever entice me to listen to more though. 4 stars.

Bleed black and gold - I dug this a lot! Right up my alley. on the verge of a 5 star, maybe with a few more listens.

Leestu - I knew once I heard Nick Cave I shouldn't have hit play. It is so weird how subjective music can be.... How someone could even stand to listen to this all the way through is absolutely mind-boggling to me, let alone call it some of their favorite music. Yet it MUST sound good when it hits your ears. Crazy science I tell you. To me, it is painful. 1 star

Six - Why am I not surprised that the brand of punk I'm not really into is the stuff that you love. Again, this music thing is very odd. Truly grating. 1 star

Surfer - I dug the first song. Not perfect, but a worthy listen. 4 stars. I didn't care for the second at all. 2 stars.

Tranny - I like Soundgarden all well and good, but none of their complete albums were enough to make my list. I generally stick to the greatest hits with them.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

On number 93:

Ozzy - Ya know, its odd. I've heard random songs from this band over the years and always kinda liked what I heard, but never actually sat down and listened to a full album. Maybe I should, and if this is their best, I guess its as good a place to start as any! Both of these songs were pretty decent, two 4s, but enough to want to check out more.

Bleedblack - Not my style of punk, not at all. 2 stars

Leestu - Not good to me, sorry, 2 stars.

Six - It's just NOISE. 1 star

Sufer - never really got into the Jam, but I might get into this. First song had a very Clash-like feel. Like if I hadn't been told it was the Jam, I'd have guessed it was the Clash. I liked it. 4 stars. The second... well I couldn't believe it was the same band. Not a big fan.

Tranny - Fuck, tranny I liked that shit! Why did I like that shit? Beat is excellent. I would actually listen to this. That first song might be a 5. The second didn't have the same strong beat, and I'd probably skip it. Oh well.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSPan 1 - You don't like Back In Black? How dare you! I like this well and good, but it's no Back in Black.

NSpan 2 - Psychobilly Freakout was one of the songs on one of the guitar hero games, which is the extent of my experience with the Reverend. I'll probably leave it there. After hearing some of that first song.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:NSPan 1 - You don't like Back In Black? How dare you! I like this well and good, but it's no Back in Black.
Well, a lot of Back in Black was written prior to Bon Scott's death... so I give that one a pass. Despite not appearing anywhere on it, I feel that his presence dominates the overall feel. I don't bother with their discography after that, though. Back in Black also happens to be one of the very first albums I ever bought. If I recall correctly, I had worn out my brother's cassette... so I upgraded to the CD.
Geezer wrote:NSpan 2 - Psychobilly Freakout was one of the songs on one of the guitar hero games, which is the extent of my experience with the Reverend. I'll probably leave it there. After hearing some of that first song.
Funny, I actually thought you--of all people--would dig "Bad Reputation" (mostly for its ska vibe)..

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:
Geezer wrote:NSPan 1 - You don't like Back In Black? How dare you! I like this well and good, but it's no Back in Black.
Well, a lot of Back in Black was written prior to Bon Scott's death... so I give that one a pass. Despite not appearing anywhere on it, I feel that his presence dominates the overall feel. I don't bother with their discography after that, though. Back in Black also happens to be one of the very first albums I ever bought. If I recall correctly, I had worn out my brother's cassette... so I upgraded to the CD.
Geezer wrote:NSpan 2 - Psychobilly Freakout was one of the songs on one of the guitar hero games, which is the extent of my experience with the Reverend. I'll probably leave it there. After hearing some of that first song.
Funny, I actually thought you--of all people--would dig "Bad Reputation" (mostly for its ska vibe)..
I didn't listen to it. I couldn't get through more than a minute of the first song, so I left it at that. I'll give it a shot though.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The music on Bad Reputation is good, but I'm not a fan of his vocals. Kinda takes me out of the song.