Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by englishozzy »

The Ramones - Road to Ruin
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Your Funeral...My Trail
The Bright Light Social Hour

Have to Check More Out

Tripping Daisy - Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb
Lagwagon - Let's Talk About Feelings
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.98

Alyson
The Moldy Peaches, "The Moldy Peaches"
, 2001

Best known for being on the soundtrack of Juno - but I feel the full album holds up.

"Ballad of Helen Keller and Rip Van Winkle"

englishozzy
The Shins, "Wincing the Night Away"
, 2007

"Phantom Limb"

"Australia"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpNv-kJ7SI

Geezer
Weird Al Yankovic , "Bad Hair Day "
, 1996

1.Amish Paradise – 5 stars
2.Everything You Know is Wrong – 4 stars
3.Cavity Search – 2 stars
4.Callin' in Sick – 3 stars
5.The Alternative Polka – 3 stars
6.Since You Been Gone – 2 stars
7.Gump – 5 stars
8.I'm So Sick of You – 2 stars
9.Syndicated Inc. - 4 stars
10.I Remember Larry – 4 stars
11.Phony Calls - 3 stars
12.The Night Santa Went Crazy – 5 stars

Weird Al was a huge part of my youth, so much so that he was my first concert ever, and I had a blast. I can't get over how talented the guy is, turning popular music into his hilarious parodies, to this day I still laugh at these tunes. Amish Paradise, Gump and of course, the great The Night Santa Went Crazy are the highlights of Bad Hair day.

"Gump"

"Amish Paradise"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzbjBx0tyyA

BleedBlackandGold
Fugazi, "Repeater"
, 1990

An amazing band that pushed the envelope of Hardcore. and lead by one of my personal hero's Ian MacKaye.

"Merchandise"

Leestu
Regurgitator , “Tu-Plang”
, 1996

Recorded in Thailand for budgetry reasons, Tu-Plang is the debut album by the irreverent Australian alternative pop rock band Regurgitator, one of my favourite live bands from the late 90’s. This album is their playful but subversive take on rock and pop music, which also utilises and experiments with other genres, providing a diverse album (Tu-Plang is Thai for jukebox) that doesn’t give you a chance to get bored. Winner of the Best Alternative album and the Best Debut album at the Australian music awards that year. For the curious I will provide a link to the first track on the album, one of their ideas of what a pop song can be. A satirical look at people’s desire for success, which may or may not be clever but is definitely humorous: “I Sucked a lot of Cock to Get Where I Am” …subtlety is not one of their strong points. But don’t get me wrong, humour is only a tool they use occasionally when it suits them. Musically they are a serious band, with many albums and sustained success, not a here today gone tomorrow novelty act. Other great tracks include the rock/hip hop infusion “Kung Foo Sing” (the single from the album), the distorted rock of “Miffy’s Simplicity”, the instrumental surf rock “348 Hz”, the muzak/hip hop of “Couldn’t Do It”, and their punk rock inspired song about domestic violence “FSO”, also known as Fuck Shit Off. Unfortunately there is limited selection of youtube videos of songs from this album so I have to resort to a live performance of “FSO” but you will get the right idea.

“FSO”

“I Sucked a lot of Cock to Get Where I Am”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag43uW4AOFc

NSpan
Keziah Jones, "Black Orpheus"[/b], 2003

numbersix
Aphex Twin,"Windowlicker EP"
, 1999

One of my first forays into electronic music was this EP, and it remains one of the best. Not only does it feature Aphex Twin’s signature tune, the twisted and disorienting title track, but it also shows a more delicate side, particularly in Nannou, which sounds like the winding up and playing of dozens of music boxes.

"Nannou"

Ron Burgundy
Various Artists, "Trainspotting Soundtrack"
, 1996

silversurfer
Mansun, "Attack Of The Grey Lantern"
, 1997

Back in 1997, I remember picking up a compilation album on double cassette called Shine, which aimed to showcase the best in indie and rock from that year. I listened to it non-stop on a trip to Blackpool with my family, probably much to the delight of everyone else as it kept me quiet as I listened away on my Walkman. There were many gems within that collection of songs, from the likes of Gene, Rialto and Super Furry Animals to Pulp, Echo and the Bunnymen and Radiohead. But one song which caught my attention in particular, hidden away on side 3 was from a little band called Mansun. "She Makes My Nose Bleed" was a fascinating introduction to a band who, greatly inspired by David Bowie, delivered their slice of rock with a heavy side of glamour and tongue in cheek. The debut release, Attack Of The Grey Lantern, delivered in every way possible I could have hoped. A hugely ambitious conceptual record (which in itself is a bold move so early on in their career), the album is an acid inducing, multi layered attack on the hipocritical morals of small town England, with lead singer under the guise of superhero The Grey Lantern tasked with vanquishing such attrocities. It sounds crazy, but it's quite brilliant, and with each track seamlessly mutating into the next and creating a haunting, electric record.

"Stripper Vicar"

"Mansun's Only Love Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCZd_1J417M

transformers
Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape"
, 1997

The Colour and the Shape was the first real Foo Fighters (Their first record was Dave Grohl on every instrument) album and their best album in my humble opinion. People were skeptical at how any-post Nirvana project would go and Dave Grohl proved any skeptics wrong. This record is pretty much alternative rock perfection. There is a lot of great hooks, guitar riffs, and Dave Grohl showed he could be more than just a drummer. The Foo Fighters are still one of the most important mainstream rock bands today and The Colour and the Shape is their masterpiece.

"Everlong"

"Hey, Johnny Park!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZ1Ft20pHw
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 20th, 2012, 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alyson: Cute. Or should I say cutsey. Not sure if there was enough going on in either song to grab me.

Ozzy: I shunned the Shins purely because of the recommendation they received in one of the worst movies ever made: Garden State. But I've heard Phantom Limb on the radio a few times and it's a nicely constructed song. Australia wasn't as interesting.

Geez: I managed to attend Weird Al's first ever gig in Europe. It was quite a show. Must have been about 10 costume changes. Amish Paradise is pretty funny, but I doubt I'd make through a full Weird Al record.

Leetsu: Did these guys appear in your Top 100 songs? Seems familiar. Anyway I wasn't a big fan. The satire wasn't that evident, and the first song sounded a bit nu-metal to me. The second failed to register. With you an Ozzy around this countdown is going to have a lot of Oz acts.

SS: Ah I remember Mansun. They were one of the billions trying to be Radiohead. At times they were pretty decent (Wide Open Spaces in particular) but the music has not aged well. I tried giving Six a blast recently but it wasn't doing it for me. But bonus points for the Shine reference, I discovered Spiritualized through them.

Tranny: I got the first two Foo albums back in the day. They weren't bad, and this was the best of anything I heard afterwards.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:I love how your response to my criticism is always: MORE SONGS! Seriously, though, the latter two songs were better. I can definitely see the (early) Flaming Lips comparisons.
Sometimes you just gotta shut up and let the music speak for itself, ya know?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Keziah Jones
- Black Orpheus (2003)

1. AfrosurrealismForTheLadies
2. Kpafuca
3. Femiliarise
4. Wet Questions
5. Neptune
6. 72 Kilos
7. All Praises
8. Beautiful Emilie
9. Sadness Is
10. Autumn Moon
11. The Black Orpheus
12. Orin O' Lomi

I don't remember how or when I first heard of Keziah Jones, but I was hooked almost immediately. With his unique blend of funk, soul, and blues, he brings more to the table than your average singer/songwriter. Supporting thoughtful lyrics and catchy melodies is some truly impressive instrumentation--nearly all of which he performs himself. I guess you'd call him an "international" artist because his touring schedule doesn't seem to focus on the States much at all. But if I ever get the chance, I'll be front-row, center.

"AfrosurrealismForTheLadies"

"Beautiful Emile"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvpJ8A2nFE

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The cover is hilariously awful though (is he trying to look like every single rapper in the 2000's?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Alyson - The Moldy Peaches, "The Moldy Peaches", 2001
One of my favorite albums. The Juno exposure was a blessing and a curse. Probably more of a curse. Adam Green is in my Top 5 "Must See Perform Live" acts. You surprised me with that particular track as your featured song, but it's a good one. I wonder which song I would choose in the hypothetical situation that this album showed up on my own list?

englishozzy - The Shins, "Wincing the Night Away", 2007
I don't think I've heard this particular track before, but it's good. The Shins have some irresistibly catchy melodies (both vocally and musically). Though I still have a bad taste in my mouth after seeing them live. Maybe they were just having a bad day.... but they sounded awful. Really poor musicianship and absolute shit singing. I guess that shouldn't really affect my opinion of their studio work, but I can't disassociate the two..

Geezer - Weird Al Yankovic , "Bad Hair Day ", 1996
I think Weird Al is a genius. In small doses.

Leestu - Regurgitator , “Tu-Plang”, 1996
The first track was blocked on YouTube, but I was able to listen to the second. Great concept for a faux-pop song. Though I'd probably be into the more "serious" stuff you mentioned.

numbersix - Aphex Twin,"Windowlicker EP", 1999
For electronic music, this actually sounded very organic. King Crimson did some semi-experimental stuff in the late 90s and early 00s that sounds similar. It's not really my thing, but I don't think you're totally insane for enjoying it. So there's that. ;)

silversurfer - Mansun, "Attack Of The Grey Lantern", 1997
The first song reminded me a bit of Spacehog. The second song reminded me a bit of Supergrass. In both cases, that's a good thing.

transformers - Foo Fighters, "The Colour and the Shape", 1997
Let me first say this: I strongly dislike Nirvana. I think Kurt Cobain was a mediocre songwriter at best. But my take on the Foo Fighters has always been that Cobain and Grohl's differing approaches to music were analogous to that of Lennon and McCartney (respectively). That isn't to say Cobain could hold a candle to Lennon (or Grohl to McCartney for that matter). But I think the comparison works in terms of what each of these musicians thought music should "accomplish." When Nirvana ended and Grohl finally got his chance to write whatever he wanted, he chose to make disposable pop music. GREAT disposable pop music. The appeal was in the pathos--while Nirvana aimed for the logos (even when Cobain was intentionally writing nonsense lyrics, it was still meant to SAY something... same goes for John Lennon). Annnnyway, I loved the debut. And this sophomore effort is quite good, too. I haven't really kept up with the band since, but I think this early material is quite solid.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan, I think you are trying to give me an aneurysm!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote: Leetsu: Did these guys appear in your Top 100 songs? Seems familiar.
Nope!
Anyway I wasn't a big fan. The satire wasn't that evident,

Does the irony of writing a mega radio friendly sing along pop song with lyrics that no major radio station will play as one of your first singles before you have any kind of fame count as satire? Actually probably not, probably a clever marketing ploy instead. :D
With you an Ozzy around this countdown is going to have a lot of Oz acts.

Yeah probably...and don't forget Ron too.

Moldy Peaches is the first album to be added to my must get list that I will create from this countdown.
I find The Shins okay, if a bit bland, but I haven't invested any time or effort into them. Just heard a few songs here and there.
Weird Al are like jokes, I would probaly listen to the whole album once, enjoy it, and then never listen to it again.
Interested to hear the Aphex Twin song even though electronica has to be exceptionally good for me to enjoy it.
And the Mansun album sounds intriguing even though they are another band who failed to get my attention from hearing the odd song here and there. That's what a great description/comment can do!
Tranny, I agree that The Colour and the Shape is their best record, and I also agree with your classification of them as a mainstream rock band. ;)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:Moldy Peaches is the first album to be added to my must get list that I will create from this countdown.
A fine choice... even if it wasn't one of my picks.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Really really dug that first Keziah Jones song. As you said, a really interesting blend of funk and soul. The second song was more standard RnB, though. Does the album lean towards the first or the second?

Also, I had no idea King Crimson were still around in the 90s and the 00s.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Really really dug that first Keziah Jones song. As you said, a really interesting blend of funk and soul. The second song was more standard RnB, though. Does the album lean towards the first or the second?
I threw the second in hoping to catch some more attention through the most accessible/mainstream track. Belive me: if you liked the featured song, you'll really be into the full album.
numbersix wrote:Also, I had no idea King Crimson were still around in the 90s and the 00s.
Well... that's a grey area. King Crimson's lineup has drastically changed every few years since their formation. It's basically "The Robert Fripp Band"--but what's so cool about that is that Fripp consistently recruits the absolute best musicians around to form whichever incarnation of King Crimson is necessary at that moment. Even though his presence is all that truly constitutes a "King Crimson" record, he doesn't tyrannically dominate the band's direction/sound/writing. He's actually a bit... modest! Which is an attribute few people would ascribe to him upon first meeting.

I can actually break down the major transitions of kCrimson [and even provide recommendations based on other bands that dervied from the style(s)] if/when necessary.... :)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Interesting

The Moldy Peaches -- The Moldy Peaches
Mansun -- Attack of the Grey Lantern

One Time Listen Only

Wierd Al Yankovic -- Bad Hair Day

Awesome

Foo Fighters -- The Color and the Shape
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Aly - That wasn't too bad. It could have been great but it never really got there for me. 3 stars

Englishozzy - Very classic pop feel, I dig it. Reminiscent of the Beach Boys. 4 stars on both songs, I might take a look deeper into this album.

Leestu - Couldn't listen to the first as it is blocked in 'Merica. The second was quite good though. Sounds like a lot of other bands, but definitely wanna listen to more. The music is so good that you almost don't even realize they are singing ridiculous lyrics. 4 stars

Six - It does get better, right? 1 star

Surfer - definitely had my head bobbing. Very catchy track. I liked it. 4 stars on the first. Unfortunately the second didn't do anything for me at all. 2 stars.

Tranny - Amazing album. 5 stars for Everlong, 4 for Hey, Johnny Park.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Album No.97

Alyson
George Benson, "Beyond the Blue Horizon"
, 1971

Took me a while to sift through which George Benson to include. ultimately this and one other made my list - I like how this album meanders.

"The Gentle Rain"

englishozzy
Lost Prophets, "Start Something"
, 2004

"Burn Burn"

"Make A Move"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDBFUPfE_a4

Geezer
The Beatles , "The Beatles (White Album) "
, 1968

1.Back In The U.S.S.R. - 5 stars
2.Dear Prudence – 4 stars
3.Glass Onion – 4 stars
4.Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da – 4 stars
5.Wild Honey Pie – 1 star
6.The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill – 3 stars
7.While My Guitar Gently Weeps – 5 stars
8.Happiness is a Warm Gun – 4 stars
9.Martha My Dear – 4 stars
10.I'm So Tired – 3 stars
11.Blackbird – 5 stars
12.Piggies – 2 stars
13.Rocky Racoon – 3 stars
14.Don't Pass Me By – 3 stars
15.Why Don't We Do It In The Road – 3 stars
16.I Will – 4 stars
17.Julia – 4 stars
18.Birthday – 5 stars
19.Yer Blues – 2 stars
20.Mother Nature's Son – 3 stars
21.Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey – 4 stars
22.Sexy Sadie – 3 stars
23.Helter Skelter – 3 stars
24.Long, Long, Long – 2 stars
25.Revolution 1 – 4 stars
26.Honey Pie – 2 stars
27.Savoy Truffle – 3 stars
28.Cry Baby Cry – 3 stars
29.Revolution 9 – 1 star
30.Good Night – 3 stars

This may be considered blasphemous by some to put it this low on the list, and while there is an absolutely fantastic, wonderful, near perfect 12 song album in here, highlighted by the two songs I've provided, the unfortunate fact remains that it is a 30 song album. It is on the list because the highs are so damn high, but it also finds itself in the 97 spot because it lacks the overall consistency, as well as being the ONLY album on the list to have a one star song, and in fact there are two of them. It's a great album, I just wish they had decided to trim some of the fat.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

""Blackbird""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5CUHHGlQg0

BleedBlackandGold
FEAR, "The Record"
, 1982

A crude rude raw slice of Early LA punk Fear were never afraid to piss people off this was never more proven than in their 1981 performance on Saturday Night LiveBy special request from John Belushi. The Georgetown Punks led By a young Ian MacKaye started a Mosh pit and the place went off causing 10,000 dollars in damage (allegedly) having their feed cut in the middle of the performance , This led to SNL banning Punk Rock acts for 10 years!

"Lets have a war"

Leestu
Mumford & Sons, “Sigh No More”,
, 2009

After hearing and loving “Little Lion Man” I immediately got their album but didn’t expect a lot. I was pleasantly surprised to discover an album full of great well crafted indy folk rock songs which grow on you more and more on each listen. I guess you could call it a sleeper album. After receiving only moderate reviews upon release it went on to peak at number 2 on the UK album charts after 72 weeks, (it reached number 1 in Australia) and be nominated for various awards including winning Best British Album at the Brit awards. A great debut album with some beautiful songs sung with a passion and a distinctive voice. The album track I am choosing is the Steinbeck inspired “Dustbowl Dance”. It deceptively starts off as such a gentle sounding song but builds in intensity to some surprising chaos. Also a link to “The Cave”, a single from the album, and I also recommend “Blank White Page”.

“Dustbowl Dance”

“The Cave”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNy8llTLvuA

NSpan
Captain Beefheart, "Safe As Milk"
, 1967

numbersix
New Order,"1981-1982 EP"
, 1982

A fascinating example of a band experiencing an audible transition in styles, from the grim post-punk of original line-up Joy Division, to their sunnier side which dominated all subsequent albums. In fact, producer Martin Hannett, known for his recognised echoing production, was only involved in 2 songs from this record. He quit half-way through, and you can easily tell which tracks he’s absent from. This EP also sounds like a fascinating example of a band trying to constantly perfect a song, which emerged as Blue Monday a few years later, with a bunch of similar templates. Anyone who loves that iconic tune will dig this EP.

"Everything’s Gone Green"

Ron Burgundy
The Strokes, "Angles"
, 2010

silversurfer
Idlewild, "100 Broken Windows"
, 2001

Friday nights during my teens were not what many would expect. Most of the time, if I could summon up the energy to go out I do so on a Thursday night, partly to avoid some of the less desirable youths of Liverpool, but mostly so I could settle down with my cup of hot chocolate and watch the weekly edition of Later... With Jools Holland. It was, and still is, an eclectic show with much variety in their line-up of live acts who appear at week. Back in early days of the 21st Century I caught a particular episode which showcased the new material from Idlewild, a Scottish band I had grown interested in following the release of their debut LP, "Hope Is Important". That record had some awesome songs on it, most notably "When I Argue I See Shapes", a song which featured in my Top 100 Songs countdown. However, the record was very hit and miss, and certainly not able to reach the heights of that single. However, while watching this particular episode, I was caught up in how much the band had come on, with each of the three songs played of such a high quality. It had me energised (not easy to do at 11pm and a belly full of hot cocoa), and I spent the rest of the night poorly attempting to transfer the audio track from my video recorder which had taped the episode onto a cassette. Yes, this was pre-digital in my house, naturally. Despite my failed attempts I continued to watch that episode on tv for a number of days, just continually playing each song over and over until I could finally purchase the record. And the record itself was able to match each of those three songs. Continuing the fiery energy and enthusiasm and lyrical mastery of their debut, but adding in melodies reminicent of early R.E.M which broaden their palette as they take on an almost film noir style, the record is captivating and bridges the gap nicely between their raucous beginnings and the more tender things which were to follow.

"Roseability"

"Little Discourage"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4eDiYbadA

transformers
Megadeth, "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?"
, 1986

Megadeth is a legendary thrash metal band from the 80's and Peace Sells is a big reason they started to earn the acclaim they did. It's a fast, balls-out record that is one of the finest pieces of metal ever recorded. Each member of the big 4 (Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth), all played fast and were fantastic musicians, but each had their own unique element that made them standout. Megadeth's standout element was their guitar solos. The solos were almost always perfectly timed, executed, and just plain badass. Megadeth's legacy started, but certainly did not end with Peace Sells, A special record that will continue to hold up over time.

"Peace Sells"

"Good Mourning/Black Friday"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WTweK_8QuQ
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 20th, 2012, 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.