Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by englishozzy »

A break would be awesome.

==Loved==

System of a Down -- Mezmerize

==Liked==

Jeff Buckley -- Sketches (For My Sweetheart The Drunk)
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Okay, last set of records of this round, I'll be taking a couple of days off after this, so hopefully everyone can come back re-energised with a stack of records ready for me to post...

Album No.91

Alyson
Umphrey's McGee, "Local Band Does OK"
, 2002

englishozzy
Millencolin, "Pennybridge Pioneers",
, 2000

A swedish band who toured with Blink 182 a few years back, after checking a couple of albums out this was the standout. A more fast-paced skate punk band they are very underrated in my opinion.

"Penguins & Polarbears!"

"No Cigar"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVupdfIIVQQ

Geezer
Creed, "Human Clay"
, 1999

1.Are You Ready – 4 stars
2.What If – 4 stars
3.Beautiful – 4 stars
4.Say I – 4 stars
5.Wrong Way – 3 stars
6.Faceless Man – 4 stars
7.Never Die – 4 stars
8.With Arms Wide Open – 5 stars
9.Higher – 5 stars
10.Wash Away Those Years – 3 stars
11.Inside Us All – 3 stars

I'll end this 10-pack with the same band that started it. A slight improvement over the debut. Don't worry, this is the last of them!

"With Arms Wide Open"

"Higher"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J16lInLZRms

BleedBlackandGold
Have Heart, "Songs To Scream At The Sun"
, 2008

A modern hardcore band that stood out more than almost any other with positive outlook and a killer live show.

(taken from 10/17/09 a dvd of their last show ever)

Leestu
System of a Down, “Toxicity”,
, 2001

Great album! This is their second album featuring the singles Chop Suey, Toxicity, and Aerials. Loud and angry, but fun at the same time. Seeing them live last year was a great experience and they played a lot of the songs from this album. They are great performers and it was one of the most crowd sing along shows I have ever been to.

“Psycho”

“Deer Dance”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkOQjK71Ss

NSpan
Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral"
, 1994

numbersix
Various Artists,"Rough Trade Shops – Post Punk Volume 1"
, 2003

I noticed that one of my favourite subgenres of music will not be fully represented in this countdown. The problem is that some of the best post-punk acts were either too short-lived to release a great album or else the format itself never suited them. This compilation is not just a great introduction to the genre, it also changed my life. Upon taking a risk I realised I had found the style of music I had always been searching for. The combination of some catchy beats with a sense of structural playfulness and the occasional socially-aware lyrics represents what I want out of art. I’ve investigated almost every act on this compilation, and most live up to the stellar tunes assembled here.

"White Mice (by the Mo-dettes)"

"Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks (by The Rapture)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fROYY253As

Ron Burgundy
Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, "The Golden Year", 2010

"Dance The Way I Feel"

silversurfer
Gomez, "Bring It On"
, 1998

There are so many acts who I have discovered through last minute visits to local venues in Liverpool, but one of the best remains to be Gomez. A local band themselves, hailing from Southport in NW England, Gomez blew me away with their own brand of rootsy, bluesy rock, which samples from so many other genres besides. Ben Ottewell's gravely voice is perfectly complimented by the quirky slide guitar, from the growling "Get Miles", the blues inspired "Bubblegum Years" to the tender sadness of "Tijuana Lady". But the band are best summed up by a couple of outstanding singles, "Whippin' Piccadilly" and "Get Myself Arrested".

"Get Myself Arrested"

"Whippin' Piccadilly "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrIkflT_YY

transformers
Descendants, "Milo Goes to College"
, 1982

Descendants are often credited for creating pop punk, but I disagree. In my eyes they were the first hardcore punk band. Milo Goes to College is an intense, honest record that has the most pure angst out of any album I've heard. On top of being really angry, It's fun, catchy, chaotic, has lyrics I can relate to and most importantly, is one of the most memorable and just plain punk records of all time.

"Myage"

"I'm Not A Loser"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiltQYlNot0
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 19th, 2012, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleedBlackandGold

Post by BleedBlackandGold »

Trans:Classic album great band , arguably invented pop punk

Silver: not bad cool sound

Geezer:http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bitch+pl ... x=34&ty=90

six:seems like a cool comp might have to check it out

hozzy: Awesome album such a good sound , Just missed my cut

Leetsu:Amazing Album will make my list for sure

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

oh crud - i got sooo behind on this! I blame NSpan.

SS - I promise to start keeping ahead and send you my next 10 tonight!

Meanwhile my 94 through 91.

#94 Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica - 2000

Mellow album, I used to love to put this in after a long night out. My roommate and I would listen to it during that time where you are still kinda wound up and not ready for bed, but getting there. Even though it was released in 2000 I didn't know of them or hear this album until it's reissue in 2004.

#93 Givers - In Light - 2011

I happened to see these guys at the Moody theatre in Austin one night last winter when there was an event for a radio station. There were about 5 or 6 bands, but these guys stood out. I believe they were promoting this CD - I like it b/c it is fun, and I like her voice.

#92 Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill - 1995

I already know this is going to be an unpopular choice - but I am being honest. I listened to this album from 6th grade through college and beyond and I always sing along.

#91 - Umphrey's McGee - Local Band Does OK - 2002

They are pretty much mostly a live band so I could not find any youtube videos with the studio version of any of the songs from the album. So I picked one of my favorite songs from it being played at one of my favorite ever indoor music venues (The Tabernacle in Atlanta). I bought this album after seeing them for the first time at a tiny club in Austin (which is long gone) in 2002. I had never heard of them, but friends talked me in to the $10 ticket. Totally worth it. Recently they toured with Bright Light Social Hour - would have loved that show.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan

Nine Inch Nails
- The Downward Spiral (1994)

1. "Mr. Self Destruct" 4:30
2. "Piggy" 4:24
3. "Heresy" 3:54
4. "March of the Pigs" 2:58
5. "Closer" 6:13
6. "Ruiner" 4:58
7. "The Becoming" 5:31
8. "I Do Not Want This" 5:41
9. "Big Man with a Gun" 1:36
10. "A Warm Place" 3:22
11. "Eraser" 4:54
12. "Reptile" 6:51
13. "The Downward Spiral" 3:57
14. "Hurt" 6:13

When compiling this list, I was fairly certain that Head Like a Hole had overtaken this album as my favorite from NIN. In comparison to the sprawling conceptual prog-rock found on The Downward Spiral, the debut feels like a singles collection: 10 concise, self-contained (relatively) accessible songs. It's a solid album and a great specimen from the 1980s. As the smoke has cleared from my younger days, I find myself leaning more and more toward music that gets to the point. The meandering, jazz-informed rock noodling found on albums from the likes of King Crimson and Pink Floyd just doesn't get as much time in the rotation as it used to. But when I really sat down and re-listened to those first two NIN albums, I realized that I still find the (65-minute long) Downward Spiral to be both engaging and strangely compelling. I think it's a true achievement; it's Reznor's magnum opus, and it's an album that was intended to (and deserves to be) listened to as an album. It's no coincidence that Trent Reznor recruited the likes of King Crimson's Adrian Belew (guitar) and producer Mark Flood who had previously worked with Nick Cave and would go on to produce the Smashing Pumpkins' double-album, Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness, in 1995. Reznor's lofty ambitions were clear from the start. Taking cues from David Bowie and Gary Numan, NIN's sound is familiar but distinct. Reznor didn't invent the industrial genre, but it could be argued that he perfected it.

"Mr. Self Destruct" (0:00 to 4:30)
and
"Piggy" (4:30 to 8:54)

On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Still catching up - but the two things that jump to my mind immediately from #93 is that Bright Eyes and Atmosphere were two groups that I was on the cusp of really getting into and for some reason I just didn't. But I remember liking both quite a lot. Y'all have inspired me to get back on track and start listening to them again.

That is all... for now.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:numbersix Various Artists,"Rough Trade Shops – Post Punk Volume 1", 2003
Just got my hands on this collection. Commencing playback in 3, 2, 1...

Anyone interested in making a recap post of this thread? There are some other albums that I want to check out, though I haven't made a proper list.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I will be doing so soon enough (well, maybe in the next 12 hours anyway), I have though, just finished trawling through the entire thread and updating any missing posts in their respective positions from BleedBlackandBlue, Ron etc. I now believe we are up to date, well done everyone for getting back on track. Now its all on me again...
Last edited by silversurfer19 on September 20th, 2012, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

NSpan wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:numbersix Various Artists,"Rough Trade Shops – Post Punk Volume 1", 2003
Just got my hands on this collection. Commencing playback in 3, 2, 1...

Anyone interested in making a recap post of this thread? There are some other albums that I want to check out, though I haven't made a proper list.

I would love a recap. I have been attempting to add each album that is available to a special list for each of you on spotify. But it is tedious and they have about 90%, not all. so a recap would help. Meanwhile, I am working on these album lists, not sure how to disperse. Once they are done I can share them with y'all, or you can just subscribe and you will be able to listen to everyone's album. Not sure if y'all all use spotify....

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I'll probably lose some hip indie cred here, but I don't own any Public Image Ltd albums. Just heard "Careering" on Six's post-punk collection... and, damn, it's great. Clearly where The Rapture got their sound. Just purchased Second Edition

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'd say that Public Image Ltd. was the opposite of hip and indie. Johnny Rotten seemed desperate for money after The Sex Pistols.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:I'd say that Public Image Ltd. was the opposite of hip and indie. Johnny Rotten seemed desperate for money after The Sex Pistols.
I wasn't born yet, so I wouldn't know firsthand.

But the Sex Pistols were basically The Monkees of punk-rock... masterminded by Malcom McLaren (using every trick he learned from his days with the New York Dolls). If there was a "cash in," that was it. I'm more impressed that Johnny Rotten went on to make real music!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Rotten has always been about the money. From Public Image Ltd. to his acting career to the Sex Pistols reunion and even margarine commercials, this guy is nothing more than the KISS of punk rock.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Hahaha you're so funny Buscemi. Have you listened to any of their albums? If he wanted to sell out and make a shitload of money he was never going to do that with the awesome music he was making that would only appeal to a small niche of music lovers. As to the margarine ads apparently it financed the reformation tour, so maybe he was prepared to do whatever it took to perform again? Now if you had said he was always about the noteriety and infamy I might have taken you a (little) bit more seriously, but now......I am just still laughing.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:Leetsu: Very cool. Interesteing that both songs you picked sounded very different to the usual Beastie sound. Does that reflect the album in total?
No, about half the album is the usual Beasties hip hop & guitar sound (but even better than before in my opinion), but the other half is a bit more diverse, and nicely interspersed so it still sort of flows. I would say someone spent the 3 years in between albums listening to a lot of music and learning what sounds good.