Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Albums of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I'd say that Public Image Ltd. was the opposite of hip and indie. Johnny Rotten seemed desperate for money after The Sex Pistols.
What a load of BS. PIL were actually the act that Lydon wanted to be, frustrated at the pin-up status of the Pistols. Your theory is completely unfounded, and Second Edition (known as Metal Box) is one of the definitive post-punk albums, and hugely influential.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:I'll probably lose some hip indie cred here, but I don't own any Public Image Ltd albums. Just heard "Careering" on Six's post-punk collection... and, damn, it's great. Clearly where The Rapture got their sound. Just purchased Second Edition
It's a good album. Tough to listen to in its entirety due to the 10-minute opener, but it has some great moments. From what I've heard, the two albusm either side of this are worth exploring as well.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alyson: Hard to make a decision based on the recording, but I can't say I was interested much.

Ozzy: Fun, but forgettable.

John L: Some modern hardcore I can listen to. These weren't bad. But a lot of it feels very samey and unmemorable.

Geez: I can honestly say that they are the best amateur Pearl Jam B-sides tribute band I've ever heard.

Leetsu: Well, we can't always agree ;) These guys are just silly. It all feels like a joke. And one poorly told!

NSpan: Another band that I keep getting told I'd like, but never felt like getting into. However, I did listen to the first two songs you recommended. Enjoyed the first one, was getting bored by the second but then it developed into something very interesting. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about Reznor's murky and ultra-produced sound (it sounds like sex with an unwashed person), but if I wasn't pressed for time this morning I would have left the whole album running.

Ron B: Welcome back! That sounded pleasant enough. Very uplifting. I bet you love Passion Pit.

SS: Yeah I remember Gomez, particularly one of the singer's very throaty, smoky voice. But I was never big into their music. There's something very toe-tappingly middle-aged about their sound. Poor guys, the world really fell out of love for them.

Tranny: Yes, a good band somewhere in between hardcore and pop punk. I was enjoying I'm Not A Loser until the homophobic rant kicked in. I get that the singer may be in character, but that arguement sure as hell didn't work for Michael Richards.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
What a load of BS. PIL were actually the act that Lydon wanted to be, frustrated at the pin-up status of the Pistols. Your theory is completely unfounded, and Second Edition (known as Metal Box) is one of the definitive post-punk albums, and hugely influential.
Careful. You're starting to use the term "post-punk" even more than Geezer uses the word "snob".

Also, Buscemi is nuts.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John E, I've no post-punk what the post-punk you're post-punking about.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

100-91 Recap

Alyson
100. ZZ Top, "Tres Hombres"
99. The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour"
98. The Moldy Peaches, "The Moldy Peaches"
97. George Benson, "Beyond the Blue Horizon"
96. Hootie & the Blowfish, "Cracked Rear View"
95. Karl Denson, "Blackened Red Snapper"
94. Modest Mouse, "The Moon And Antarctica"
93. Givers, "In Light"
92. Alanis Morrisette, "Jagged Little Pill"
91. Umphrey's McGee, "Local Band Does OK"

BleedBlackandBlue
100. Boston, "Boston"
99. Lagwagon, "Lets Talk About feelings"
98. Fugazi, "Repeater"
97. FEAR, "The Record"
96. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, "Damn the Torpedoes"
95. 7 Seconds, "The Crew"
94. The Vandals, "Hitler Bad ,Vandals Good"
93. MDC, "Millions of Dead Cops"
92. CKY, "Infliltrate, Destroy Rebuild"
91. Have Heart, "Songs To Scream At The Sun"

englishozzy
100. Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
99. Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble"
98. The Shins, "Wincing the Night Away"
97. Lost Prophets, "Start Something"
96. Death Cab for Cutie, "Plans"
95. James Blunt "Back to Bedlam"
94. Jason Mraz, "We Sing, we Dance, we Steal Things"
93. Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
92. Lisa Mitchell, "Wonder"
91. Millencolin, "Pennybridge Pioneers"

Geezer
100. Creed, "My Own Prison"
99. The Ramones, "Road To Ruin"
98. Weird Al Yankovic , "Bad Hair Day"
97. The Beatles , "The Beatles (White Album)"
95. The Bouncing Souls, "The Gold Record"
94. The Offspring, "Americana"
93. Nirvana, "Incesticide"
92. System of a Down, "Mezmerize"
91. Creed, "Human Clay"

Leestu
100. Various Artists, "Music from the Motion Picture Juno"
99. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "Your Funeral… My Trial"
98. Regurgitator, "Tu-Plang"
97. Mumford & Sons, “Sigh No More”
96. The Housemartins, “London 0 Hull 4”
95. Swervedriver, “Raise”
94. The Boys Next Door, “The Birthday Party”
93. Happy Mondays, “Bummed”
92. The Beastie Boys, “Check Your Head”
91. System of a Down, “Toxicity”

NSpan
100. The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour"
99. Tripping Daisy, "Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb"
98. Keziah Jones, "Black Orpheus"
97. Captain Beefheart, "Safe As Milk"
96. Band Of Skulls, "Baby Darling Doll Face Honey"
95. AC/DC, "TNT"
94. The Reverend Horton Heat, "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em"
93. The Pink Mountaintops, "The Pink Mountaintops"
92. The Moldy Peaches, "The Moldy Peaches"
91. Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral"

numbersix
100. Low & Spring Heel Jack, "Bombscare EP"
99. Sigur Rós, "Ny Batteri EP"
98. Aphex Twin, "Windowlicker EP"
97. New Order, "1981-1982 EP"
96.Godspeed You Black Emperor!, "Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada EP"
95. Various Artists, "New York Noise, Volume 1"
94. Various Artists, "20 Years of Dischord"
93. Various Artists, "Warp 20"
92. Jeff Buckley, "Sketches (For My Sweetheart the Drunk)"
91. Various Artists, "Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk Volume 1"

Ron Burgundy
100. M83, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming"
99. TISM, "Beasts Of Suburban"
98. Various Artists, "Trainspotting Soundtrack"
97. The Strokes, "Angles"
96. T.I.S.M, "www.tism.wanker.com"
95. Various Artists, "The Matrix Soundtrack"
94. Gotye, "Making Mirrors"
93. Gorillaz, "Plastic Beach"
92. Foster the People, "Torches"
91. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, "The Golden Year"

silversurfer
100. Grizzly Bear, "Veckatimest"
99. Throwing Muses, "University"
98. Mansun, "Attack Of The Grey Lantern"
97. Idlewild, "100 Broken Windows"
96. The Clash, "Give Em Enough Rope"
95. The Dears, "No Cities Left"
94. The Cooper Temple Clause, "See This Through And Leave"
93. The Jam, "All Mod Cons"
92. Modest Mouse, "Good news For People Who Love Bad news"
91. Gomez, "Bring It On"

transformers
100. Suffocation, "Pierced From Within"
99. Grieves, "Irreversible"
98. Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape"
97. Megadeth, "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?"
96. Killswitch Engage, "As Daylight Dies"
95. Anthrax, "Spreading the Disease"
94. Soundgarden, "Superunknown"
93. Atmosphere, "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold"
92. N.W.A, "Straight Outta Compton"
91. Descendants, "Milo Goes to College"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Aly, I gave up on Alanis when she failed to understand irony (and that album sounds really dated), but I really loved that Givers song. Great instrumentation.

Ron, I can see you like your upbeat electro-indie music. Most of it was decent enough. Not a fan of Gotye, and Gorillaz was the best.

John L, Tom Petty just sounds like a (highly diluted) mix of Dylan and Springsteen. I'd listen to either before I'd go for Petty. I did, however, enjoy the 7 Seconds track.

And at the end of this round here's the albums I'd be interested in exploring more...

FEAR, "The Record"
MDC, "Millions of Dead Cops"
N.W.A, "Straight Outta Compton"
Throwing Muses, "University"
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "Your Funeral… My Trial"
The Boys Next Door, “The Birthday Party”
Karl Denson, "Blackened Red Snapper"
The Ramones, "Road To Ruin"
Captain Beefheart, "Safe As Milk"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Just glancing at the recap...

Albums that I will most likely own in the near future
George Benson, "Beyond the Blue Horizon"
Swervedriver, “Raise”
Jeff Buckley, "Sketches (For My Sweetheart the Drunk)"
Grizzly Bear, "Veckatimest"
Throwing Muses, "University"
TISM, "Beasts Of Suburban"
Karl Denson, "Blackened Red Snapper"

Albums that--hey whatdya know--I already own, but I really need to listen to again:
Fugazi, "Repeater"
Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble"
Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
M83, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming"
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hopefully I'll be able to catch up tomorrow night
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I'm convinced this Ray LaMontagne character is lifting melodies.

I heard "Hannah" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CfWrsd97Mw)
...and I thought, "Crazy Love" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6lo5LVMzpE)

I heard "Forver My Friend" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwUB_RZxtTE)
...and I thought, "The Rain Song" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v-_p5dU34)
...with a dash of "Fearless" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgQuj8v2gg)

I heard "Trouble" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30spPdXw5k)
...and I thought, "Trouble" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qkn7OlbM8)

Using familiar titles in the other songs ("Jolene," "All the Wild Horses," etc.) isn't helping.

Am I crazy?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Since I have much catching up to do, I'll keep this simple:

Loved:
Beastie Boys (though not their best album)
Milencolin (added to the list I need to check out, definitely have heard No Cigar before, after looking it up, it's from the soundtrack to Tony Hawk 2)
Toxicity (will be much higher on my list, DAMN YOU for using Deer Dance, my favorite song on the album)
Tom Petty

Liked:
CKY
Jeff Buckley (I only knew him from his rendition of Hallelujah, man can really sing)
Ou Est Le Swimming Pool
Alanis (My God how fucking huge was this album? It was as if she came out of nowhere, then released a greatest hits album, then disappeared. No denying the impact it has made. I'll back you up on this one.)

I liked Alyson's Modest Mouse. I can't believe how different the Modest Mouse tracks Surfer posted (which I hated) are from the hits I know from Modest Mouse (which I like).

The rest ranged from "not really my thing" To absolutely horrid (I'm looking at you NIN).
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

There were 4 albums that cross over on my own list from that first bunch. The albums I want to listen to more are;

- Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More"
- The Bright Light Social Hour "The Bright Light Social Hour"
- Throwing Muses "University"
- Karl Denson "Blackened Red Snapper"
"Then telephone for an axe"

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ill have to listen to some of the last ones but heres some feedback:

Alyson
100. ZZ Top, "Tres Hombres" - Gotta get into more of this
96. Hootie & the Blowfish, "Cracked Rear View" - I was one, who did NOT rock out to this in the 90s. Oh God i hated that.
94. Modest Mouse, "The Moon And Antarctica" - Again, need to hear more of, didnt sound like the only other song i know from him.

BleedBlackandBlue
100. Boston, "Boston" - good start
99. Lagwagon, "Lets Talk About feelings" - bad next step
98. Fugazi, "Repeater" - need to explore

englishozzy
Death Cab for Cutie and Eskimo Joe were the best but the rest is not for me.

Geezer
Actually used to own the second Creed album but i cant stand with Arms wide open anymore. How taste changes. Nirvana is tops. White Album is great. Bad Hair Day is a nice addition. Im not a punk fan though so im not sure if ill see a ten by like this again from you.

Leestu
Toxicity and Beastie Boys are both something id never turn off, while The Carnie by Nick Cave was creepy you included Mumford and Sons, a band i love to hate with a passion.

NSpan
Interesting mix, TNT is the standout if not for one the best 90s albums ever by NIN. I want to listen to more of Band of Skulls but didnt like Captain Beefheart.

numbersix
Aphex Twin is up there for me, nice one. And i really dug one of your Various compilation. To cap it off Sigur Ros was a nice touch. Couldnt get into the 10 min epic sound, ill give it another chance though.

silversurfer
Veckatimest just missed my top 100, and i like the Gomez inclusion.

transformers
NWA is great, Megadeth is awesome, you had some other stuff on there that was a bit too heavy, but i liked Atmospheres rapping, that was good.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

From the first ten records, the ones which have stood out for me have been:

Low & Spring Heel Jack, "Bombscare EP": Wow, really loved this, such an atmosphere. I know Low a little, I own The GreatDestroyer and C'mon (though would appreciate if you can direct me in some of their other records you can recommend). But this was also very good. Hadn't heard of the guy they have worked with before, but am willing to look into some of his work too. Will definitely be seeking this out.
The Bright Light Social Hour, "The Bright Light Social Hour": This is one I'm willing to give another listen to, as while I quite enjoyed NSpan's track, Alyson's did not. Don't want to presume something. but it seems more your enthusiasm's for their live set have overcome their actual record, like you WANT to like what is recorded just because they put on quite a show. I hear moments that could be great so far, but nothing that makes me a fan...yet. I'll listen to the stream.
The Ramones, "Road To Ruin": Obviously I knew I Wanna Be Sedated, while I also know a few other tracks from a compilation of theirs I own, but other than their debut I don't own any of their other records. Will check out a few of the tracks I don't yet know, as I do like some Ramones on occasion.
Tripping Daisy, "Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb": Definitely had heard of these before, but for some reason thought they were some kind of alt/rock/ grunge act. Highly impressed, one of my favourite discoveries from the countdown so far. I like both Polyphonic Spree's debut and The Flaming Lips later work (haven't had the opporunity to hear anything pre- Soft Bulletin yet), and this felt like a natural combination of the two and left me wanting more. Will be at the top of my list.
FEAR, "The Record": Really intriguing stuff. Reminded me of much of 80s punk, and really loved some of the guitars. Wasn't too keen on the voice but will certainly look into further.
Swervedriver, “Raise”: As mentioned earlier in the thread, really liked this, will be added right up to the top of my list.
The Boys Next Door, “The Birthday Party”: Wow, loved it, some really interesting Bunnymen and Cure references with a dash of Nick Cave. Will be a must buy.
MDC, "Millions of Dead Cops": Another cool punk sound, will be checking this out more.
Various Artists,"Warp 20": I've quite a few records by Warp artists, so will have to check out if I will like anything more. Enjoyed the electronica of Herzog quite a bit.
The Pink Mountaintops, "The Pink Mountaintops": I already own some Black Mountain thanks to you, while I also very much enjoy The Black Angels and Blood Meridian. Been meaning to look into these for a while, and enjoyed this very much.
Various Artists,"Rough Trade Shops – Post Punk Volume 1": That Modettes track seemed very familiar, not sure why yet. Highly enjoyable though, loved the beat and very 80s sound.

Other things I quite enjoyed, though will require a little further listening before going any further:

M83, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming"
Ray Lamontagne, "Trouble"
Lagwagon, "Lets Talk About feelings"
Keziah Jones, "Black Orpheus"
New Order,"1981-1982 EP": While I've always been a bigger Joy Division fan, I do really enjoy a lot of New Order's work. Don't own enough of their material though, and certainly hadn't heard this before. Very nice.
The Strokes, "Angles": I don't know what really happened to these guys after their first record. Just never really grabbed me again. This was ok though, a little different to their usual stuff, and I'll give a few other tracks a spin.
Captain Beefheart, "Safe As Milk": Some interesting things there, very bluesy, but for some reason I'm still not sold on Beefheart. Will have to track down some more of his work.
Various Artists, "20 Years of Dischord": Loved the Barbed Wire track and already know some Minor Threat, will check out what other bands are on this compilation to see what I might like.
Nirvana, "Incesticide": Never knew this was a covers record, never heard it before though I've seen the cd a few times in stores. Might check out what other things they've taken inspiration from.

Albums I already own but thoroughly enjoy:

The Shins, "Wincing the Night Away": Was close to making my list. Definitely, along with Wincing.. their most cohesive record.
Fugazi, "Repeater"
Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape"
Modest Mouse, "The Moon And Antarctica"
Death Cab for Cutie, "Plans"
Band Of Skulls, "Baby Darling Doll Face Honey": Gave this another spin the other day following its appearance here, and while it starts off like the record The Dead Weather should have made, it quickly trails off and left me uninterested after Hollywood Bowl. Some great songs early in the record though.
Godspeed You Black Emperor!, "Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada EP": Got this on the back of the 100 songs countdown, and thoroughly enjoy it. Quite a listening experience.
Soundgarden, "Superunknown"
Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"
Nine Inch Nails, "The Downward Spiral"

Phew, up to date in 1 day! Next thread up in about 12 hours guys, don't have any more time to get it done tonight. Keep you all simmering, I guess!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, only three of the songs from Incesticide are covers. The other 12 are made up of demos, EP tracks, tracks for compilations and songs done for radio broadcast.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr