Gigs, Concerts, and Other Live Performances

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Gigs, Concerts, and Other Live Performances

Post by Geezer »

Guess who I saw tonight? If you said Against Me! for the 4th time, you'd be right! Fucking phenomenal set in my favorite club to see a show. They are so awesome. My brother got to finally meet Tom and get his picture taken with him and Andrew (they were there at 3 for the show at 8, I'm sure it was worth it, I had to work). Snagged a pretty sweet poster for the show though.

Opening acts were Lemuria and the Screaming Females. Screaming Females were really fucking good too. Their singer/guitarist (the only actual female in the band) is freaking TALENTED. Just ripped it up on stage and played some of the best guitar I've ever seen live.

And then Against Me! blew the roof off the place with the best set list I've seen of the 4 times I've seen them. What a night.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Saw blink-182 and My Chemical Romance tonight. Worst crowd i've been a part of. I saw at least 30 fights and almost everyone one there was an asshole. On top of that it started fucking downpouring during blink's set. My Chemical Romance was great, their last two records haven't been too good, but their live show was still damn good. Gerard Way had a ton of energy and sounded really good. blink-182 was pretty good, but MCR outplayed them for sure. The first seven songs blink played seemed like they didn't give two shits about playing. Tom was half-assing the vocals for every single song. The show finally picked up they played "Dumpweed" and they finished pretty strong. They were really funny on stage and Travis Barker had an awesome drum solo. Good, but disapointing performance from blink-182. The crowd and weather were awful, but the bands were pretty good.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

I never been to a concert before, but I may go to a conert later this year, maybe when Maroon 5 or Coldplay come to town.
Current Film Watchlist:

Bob Marley: One Love
Dune Part II
Kung Fu Panda 4
Imaginary
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

This isn't news to Eoin, but the Rapture was incredible. I own all four of their albums, one EP, one single, and a stray track called "No Sex for Ben" -- which happens to be one of my absolute favorites. Anyway, these guys really knew their stuff. They are also BRILLIANT musicians and vocalists. A lot of their studio music sounds like it relies heavily on production, but the band on stage was surprisingly organic. And they easily sounded as good (sometimes better) on stage as in the studio. It's becoming increasingly rare to see that. The vocalist has amazing pipes. In addition to a bassist, a drummer, the vocalist/guitarist, there was also a multi-instrumentalist. He played a synth, a variety of percussion instruments (including the cow bell), and some serious sax. He has the look of someone who takes himself too seriously--but after the first sax solo and whirlwind of cowbell, it was clear that he's simply having a good time with it. And sounding amazing in the process.

The band clearly (and genuinely) enjoy what they do. Well, as the first third of the show came to a close, a damn fight broke out amongst the fans. This is slightly ironic because, ever since I've moved out here, I've joked about how DOCILE, CALM, and UNRESPONSIVE Los Angeles crowds are compared to the rest of the country. Usually they're just too darn hip to commit to expressing any actual emotions when attending a show. Well, I guess L.A. heard me and decided to prove me wrong. The fight was a problem for everyone because their behavior was SO out of synch with the evening. The band had otherwise succeeded in creating an inviting, friendly atmosphere.

Up until this point, the Rapture had played nothing but my top picks. After the fight, the energy in the room was clearly disrupted. The band was visibly shaken. Leading up to the fight, one audience member had tried to climb onto the stage (during "Whoo! Alright - Yeah...Uh-Huh!") which served as the catalyst for the fight itself. The house lights came up and the band pleaded with the audience to chill out.

The show resumed, and things sounded great. They rotated in some slower songs, which was fine. Just as things were REALLY picking up again (during "Don Gon Do It" of all songs), another fucking fight broke out. To make a long story short, that pretty much ended the night. The band finished their set (albeit in a different--and probably shortened--order). And they even played an encore to show gratitude to those in the audience who were just there for a good time. But the enthusiasm from earlier in the night (from both the crowd and the band) just wasn't there any more. Major bummer to see a few bad apples manage to put such a dampener on a show that could've easily been one of the best I've ever seen.
Last edited by NSpan on October 9th, 2011, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That sucks, NSpan, but at least it was a good gig. They are amazing live. That said, I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the new record. Have you heard it and do the songs work better in a live context?

Interestingly, I've been to very few gigs where a fight broke out. Maybe at a festival, but security were quick to throw them out. Worst was at a Guitarwolf gig in Tokyo but the embarrassed guys ended up bowing to everyone at the end of the gig!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I'm warming up a bit to the new album. It took several listens to get to that point, though. Either way, it doesn't compare to Pieces of the People We Loved or Mirror. In fact, the band used the new material to calm the audience down. So I think even they are aware of the difference.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I can't say I'm overly familiar with the band, I own Echoes and love that, but the lead single from Pieces just turned me off them and I've not really looked into them again since. Was that song indicative of the rest of that record, or a bit of an anomaly?

Like six, I've been to very few gigs which have broken down like that. Most of the time a band will only need to stop playing if there has been a lot of pushing and the crowd fall over. I still remember being at a festival watching Muse back when Origin Of Symmetry had just been released, and the crowd of what must have been about 30,000 people all surged and fell. It took about 20 minutes before I could stand up as I was right in the centre and had to pretty much wait until the person next to you had gotten up before you can get a hand up youself. Pretty scary stuff though.

In other news, The Laneway festival has just been announced and bands such as Yuck, Horrors, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Laura Marling, Cults and The Drums have been announced. May have to go see this.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:I'm warming up a bit to the new album. It took several listens to get to that point, though. Either way, it doesn't compare to Pieces of the People We Loved or Mirror. In fact, the band used the new material to calm the audience down. So I think even they are aware of the difference.
I think it's taking time for me to come around to the idea that it's essentially a gospel album. Which isn't bad, it's just not what I expected.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:I can't say I'm overly familiar with the band, I own Echoes and love that, but the lead single from Pieces just turned me off them and I've not really looked into them again since. Was that song indicative of the rest of that record, or a bit of an anomaly?
"Get Myself Into It" is fairly indicative of the album's sound. Far from the best example, though. That song always reminded me of some generic early 90s club hit that I could never quite put my finger on.

I love the album pretty much from start to finish. I was going to pick another song that might appeal more to you--but, looking at the tracklist, I feel like you can't really go wrong. I highly recommend getting your hands on it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Tonight I'll be partying like it's 1999 rocking out to Everclear, Lit, The Gin Blossoms, Sugar Ray and Marcy Playground. I grew up on this stuff, needless to say I'm stoked!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

How was Marcy Playground?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I actually only saw the end of their set (last two songs). Got held up at the craps table, and didn't really care to see them anyway (I only know Sex and Candy). The rest of the show was great though. Nostalgia is great. I didn't even realize how many hits the Gin Blossoms had. And Sugar Ray rocked a lot harder than I thought they would. Mark McGrath is a hell of a showman. Only thing that sucked is they put seats on the floor, which is just pure insanity.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Gin Blossoms just come off as a slightly more successful Spin Doctors to me. I never got how the Spin Doctors got trashed so much but the Gin Blossoms didn't. The two are basically the same group.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Except the Gin Blossoms didn't scat throughout their only hit

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My brother and I will be going to see a band that will be coming up soon on my album list tomorrow night in what equates to a basement show setting. They had a dispute with the venue they were originally booked for and cancelled last minute, so they are playing a place called the Whitney House in Hartford, which is just what it sounds like, an actual house, owned by like 7 guys who live there and have bands in and out, costing a 5 dollar donation to get in. Which, to me at least, is way better than any venue anyway! I'm excited!